AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ferguson pretty stiff, copped the concussion knock deep into red time in the last Q iirc, but she should still be right for Rd 1 shouldn't she ?
Yep enough time til round 1 and they mentioned should be on track for it

Round 1 team imo

B: Ferguson Bresnehan
HB: O’Shea Birch Kearney
C: Gatt King Bruton
HF: O’Loughlin King Tripodi
F: Shierlaw Randall
R: Rennie Riddell Garner
I: Eddey Martin Wall Wright Craven

If Bruton not ready for round 1 then smith in

And if Dojiok is the injury replacement player then could be a smoky for round 1 also

Good to see Vikki Wall back :fourleaf:

With Kearney playing full time rebounding defence in recent years our midfield whilst still has class I think lacks grunt/physical presence. I think we wasted an opportunity not having Gilroy play midfield when she was with us.

Can Wall be that physical presence in the midfield?
Didn't realize she was back! Was one of my fav's when she was in the team, can't wait to see the girls up and about again.

Ferguson pretty stiff, copped the concussion knock deep into red time in the last Q iirc, but she should still be right for Rd 1 shouldn't she ?
try last 10-20 seconds, she was still in the shot when the siren sounded.

Vicki Wall is back.

EDIT: I've added the article from from the NMFC website.

Irish arrivals strengthen Roos ahead of R1

Question, how do you pronounce Ms Bogue's first name, Blaithin?

I noticed in the practise match on the weekend Niamh Martin's first name was mispronounced a couple of times. :)

Last edited:
It’s nice that there’s so much positivity, and yay for a couple of good pre season hit outs, but I’m nervous about facing the big teams - starting with Brisbane away - without our first choice defence. That unit was so great last season, then we added Birch, and now it’s been hit pretty hard.

It’s nice that there’s so much positivity, and yay for a couple of good pre season hit outs, but I’m nervous about facing the big teams - starting with Brisbane away - without our first choice defence. That unit was so great last season, then we added Birch, and now it’s been hit pretty hard.

Jas Ferguson will be through the AFL concussion protocol and as long as there are no lasting symptoms, she should be good for the Brisbane game. Eliza Shannon is really the only first choice defender from the grand final team who will be missing.

Vicki Wall has better bench technique than our AFL players (excepting Beast) demonstrated on a club vid a few years ago.
She is a powerful unit, she reminds me of an NRL winger with her size, strength and speed. I'd be shitting in my Breechers if she was running towards me. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eliza Shannon - The unlucky one.

I get the feeling that with Burch's arrival she is going to be the defender to miss out, especially now that she will miss the first half of the season.

Eliza Shannon = The Doolittle

Eliza Shannon - The unlucky one.

I get the feeling that with Burch's arrival she is going to be the defender to miss out, especially now that she will miss the first half of the season.

So you're saying Eliza may well get to do little this season?

In all seriouslyness, I thought she was terrific last season but I agree that she is up against it with only three genuine defensive positions available and Birch, Ferguson, and Wright likely taking priority, and Kearney, O'Shea, and Bresnehan rotating in the two rebounding defensive roles.

Disappointed we didn't bring in Dojiok as she can play straight away and is a tall marking forward and potential replacement for Shierlaw at the end of the season. :(

Anyway, congratulations to Sophie, hopefully her athletics background means she has pace to burn, and she was a goalkicker in GWS's final two VFLW games.

GWS only played 5 games in the VFLW season and won all five relatively comfortably, finishing with a percentage of 415.3. Sophie played the first game and may have been injured as she didn't spend much time on the field, but she returned for the final two games and she averaged 12 disposals, 2 tackles and a goal. The final two games were against finalists Port Melbourne and Essendon, so may be the scouts saw something in her we don't know about.

Seven of our VFLW girls made the VFLW Team of the Year squad.

Seven Roos named in VFLW Team Of The Year squad

Congratulations to Alana Barba, Maddie Di Cosmo, Nyakoat Dojiok, Nicole Hales, Kate Reynolds, Audrey Rhodes and Renee Tierney.

It's a shame that there isn't more integration between the AFLW and VFLW because with improved fitness and skills training there would be a number of girls, from all teams, with the potential to play AFLW.

Watching Sophie's highlights she looks to be a real pacy mid/forward with a nice left foot, hits her targets, even at pace and although it's hard to tell if she is a long kick (the first kick in the video looked like it travelled 30-35 metres) she could be a bit of a find. We'll wait and see.

Sophie Kavanagh: Speedster signs as replacement player

Watching Sophie's highlights she looks to be a real pacy mid/forward with a nice left foot, hits her targets, even at pace and although it's hard to tell if she is a long kick (the first kick in the video looked like it travelled 30-35 metres) she could be a bit of a find. We'll wait and see.

Sophie Kavanagh: Speedster signs as replacement player

Fast and kicks like Phil Krakouer.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back