AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed that a draw was a lucky escape for us here. Obviously conditions played a part in making us a bit scrappy, and all our games against Geelong since Lowther came in as coach for them have been a bit that way anyway, but still it was disappointing just how far off the dominant positioning, run and structure of last week we were today. Thought Riddell was really good in the middle for us, Mia King solid defensively - but overall the Cats had the better of us in there, and we didn't seem to have any real precision in our ball movement at any stage during the game, including during the second quarter where we largely squandered our wind advantage because of it. It was a lot more like previous seasons, relying on sheer weight of talent to see us through and cover the mistakes, and ultimately that wasn't enough today and won't be enough if we're to threaten for the flag. Hopefully just a blip, and content to make it out relatively unscathed with 2 premiership points.

First look at Burke for me - both intercept marks and pinpoint kicks were great, but otherwise just not enough of a defensive presence. Not sure she has a place in the best 21 and maybe goes out for AOL to return next week? Though "Neeyam" Martin (given he's paid to call player names for a living, you'd think Alister Nicholson could learn how Niamh is pronounced...) is more like-for-like in terms of players who might be dropped - maybe both, with O'Shea back in also?

If we can rally to get over Melbourne next week, who look similarly vulnerable to what they ended up being in last year's finals, then we should still be on track going into an easier stretch. Definitely need to get back to the more controlled stuff from last week though.

Cats played better, we got lucky. Another thing noticable at the ground was the lack of talk - I didn't hear the players calling for the ball. A lot of questionable decision making, especially the few times we attempted a fast crossover game, it was to someone under immediate pressure. Burke's kicking was amazing tbh, given the conditions. Looks like with Pullar and Shannon injured, we are running low on defensive stock. I could have sworn that Pullar played on the wing last year?

Nope. Just us so called “commentators” who don’t actually pay attention to what’s actually going on. A modicum of attention to detail would enable us to know that Geelong were very unlucky lose out to Brisbane in the Preliminary final. They have been on the up, like us. It was always going to be a close game and that’s exactly how it transpired. We were never just going to waltz through the competition. That’s not how things work - generally. Our women battled it out well. No bath water involved whatsoever.
100%. Geelong are a very good team.

But going on how the commentators were cheering on a miracle cats win, you’d think they’d been wooden spooners, and not made the PF last year and finals the year before.

I think we tried to play too aggressively for the conditions.

In the third we seemed hell bent on going inboard to the corridor at half back rather than safer and long down the wings.

We did not adjust to the territory battle that the wet brought about and that was the game.

2 points is better than a loss but we absolutely have enough talent to have the 4 points and they should feel let down by it both as players and coaches.

I noticed that she was proppy towards the end of the fourth quarter too. Didn't see Lucy Burke on at all in the fourth, either. We really lacked cross over running today.
I thought she looked proppy last week as well, but because we dominated defensively it wasn't noticeable, but today Geelong put plenty of pressure on our back six and we looked slow and indecisive when trying to escape our defensive 50. It didn't help that Garner, Riddell and Bresnehan dropped more marks than the team took for the entire match and the ball rebounded back time and time again. Overall, I think they did a decent job to keep us in the game.

Our midfield hasn't been as dominant as we hoped in the first two weeks, we were thrashed in the centre clearances last week 11-4 and this week was no better losing 7-3. The rucks are dominating the hitouts but we are losing out when the ball hits the ground.

I’d like to see how Liz McGrath goes in the ruck instead of Rennie
I wouldn't, I wasn't impressed with her performance in the practice match, and that was against GWS.

As l thought after last weeks game we were off by a couple of percent today. Fumbling, overrunning the ball, dropped marksand some bad kicking in the first quarter hurt us. Our timing was out. Randall was by far our best today and we were very reactive ,waiting for the oppposition to get the ball first and then trying to get the ball off them. Geelong were good but we made them look better than they were...A draw was fittting outcome.. Now for the Demons..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the worst game I’ve seen Bresnehan play. Kearney was unusually poor, especially in the 2nd half. Even Garner fumbled a few times and was a bit poor with her disposal at times.

Birch looks proppy, especially when she has to turn and go off her bad leg. Smart, composed player though. Will be good to see her play when she’s fully recovered.

Geelong was great at applying defensive pressure. Seemed like they were on track for a record number of smothers. They were also pretty good at getting players into space and were often cleaner by foot and hand. Luckily for us they hit the post a few times.

We looked a bit slow and our short kicking and play on handballing was littered with skill errors and poor decision making.

Watching at the ground it felt like we were lucky to get the draw.

They let a makeshift smaller ruck and a midfielder beat them in the ruck all day

That’s not good enough

we should have dominated in that area
They didn't let the "makeshift smaller ruck" dominate at all, Rennie and King dominated the hitouts, we are being outplayed once the ball hits the ground, Garner, Riddell and Mia King are struggling to get first use, there clearance numbers are well below previous seasons. Perhaps there's been a "disconnect" between our rucks and midfielders early in the season, and to lay blame on one player is a little misguided.

Also, for the second week in a row our midfield was beaten by one opponent who has dominated the clearances (Anderson 15 clearances last week and McDonald 13 today) suggesting we are struggling to apply defensive pressure in the middle as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back