Beaussie

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Western Sydney
Hard to disagree with Elliott's final point.

Three teams under threat, says Elliott
Paul Millar | January 12, 2009

"Tasmania is keen to get a team in the AFL," he said.

He believed the AFL wanted a continued presence in Melbourne's west and that ruled out the Bulldogs moving to Tasmania.

"One of these three clubs will have to go down to Tassie. I do not think it would be the Bulldogs and I think it would be very difficult to rout Melbourne out of Melbourne, so it does appear to me that it will eventually be North Melbourne," he said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/teams-under-threat-elliott/2009/01/11/1231608525629.html

I think people that mention the Melbourne name as been less likely than NOrth, will find if that is what they believe Melbourne will be the first to go. In terms of people knowing of clubs in the AFL that are just casual observers, Melbourne is right down the list and teams such as Collingwood, Essendon are the ones they know of, So there is no need to have a team called Melbourne in the AFL. There isnt a team called Perth.
For this not to happen, Melbourne supporters need to get behind there team through both Membership, turning up to games and watching them on TV. If they dont, Melbourne will be Melbourne no longer.

Why do people keep mentioning North?

Are they the least financial club?

If not why would/should they go first?

Spot on, why do they keep mentioning North.
No matter how much North has achieved over the last year, and despite the fact that the club is in a better financial postion than some other clubs, North is always the one singled out.

Beats me why, the media cannot leave North alone in this regard.
Seems like they want North to be the club to go under first.
Frustrates the hell out of me.

Tasmania should not pick up north if they fall on their ass they deserve their own team

I think North/Dogs/Dees/Anyone perhaps could sell some home games to bellerive 9after the GC comes in and the $$$$ for sold games up there aren't about) and have a southern base to rival the Hawkers Northern base at Aurora and therefore sort of copy the lead of the Hawks but not barge in on "their turf". Bellerive is woefully underused, has lights coming in and holds a good crowd. Personally as an ex-pat i'd like to see tassie with its own team but the AFL will make the state crawl before they can walk.
I know this ain't gonna be a popular idea but in my view it is not a bad one.

I think North/Dogs/Dees/Anyone perhaps could sell some home games to bellerive 9after the GC comes in and the $$$$ for sold games up there aren't about) and have a southern base to rival the Hawkers Northern base at Aurora and therefore sort of copy the lead of the Hawks but not barge in on "their turf". Bellerive is woefully underused, has lights coming in and holds a good crowd. Personally as an ex-pat i'd like to see tassie with its own team but the AFL will make the state crawl before they can walk.
I know this ain't gonna be a popular idea but in my view it is not a bad one.

Doesnt the Canberra arrangement end this year? Will it get renewed?

Doesnt the ASD also get reviewed at the end of this year?

Doesnt the Canberra arrangement end this year? Will it get renewed?

Doesnt the ASD also get reviewed at the end of this year?

Dunno about Canberra but re ASD:

From Caroline Wilson re: ASD (26 sep 2008)
"While the next commission meeting, scheduled for next month, was initially expected to reach a decision on ASD funding beyond 2009, the AFL now plans to push the MCG and Telstra Dome to lower the costs of their prohibitive ground agreements with a view to allowing the clubs to survive independently."
Also from article:
"Telstra Dome's deal with the AFL reverts to a 30-game minimum in 2014, with the stadium this year hosting 46 home-and-away fixtures, while charging Melbourne Victory significantly less than most AFL tenant clubs upon which it relies for revenue"
.... If the money isn't right there's still 16 games that could be easily sold/contracted to Bellerive or Aurora or manuka rather than a relocation as suggested by Elliott. This is just a suggestion that sits in my head.

Can anyone explain to me the exact ownership structure of Docklands stadium?

I'm trying to work out the AFL's claim re tenant deals, naming rights, etc.

Also, Victory move out next year; if Docklands goes from 46 AFL games to 30 down the track, and no Victory, it would start to affect their bottom line pretty soon, wouldn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Elliots thoughts deserve due consideration.

I mean, look what he did for Carlton?

Despite what happened at the end of his great 20 year service to the club, we are still in a much better position than any of the clubs that were mentioned in the article.

Despite finishing on the bottom of the ladder 3 years out of 5 our membership figures during this period were dramatically higher than ever before and last year we broke our record.

The point he was trying to make is that Western Sydney should not have an AFL team as they do not want it, whereas Tasmania wants one.

Despite what he has done in the past, at least this time he is making some senese!

Can anyone explain to me the exact ownership structure of Docklands stadium?

I'm trying to work out the AFL's claim re tenant deals, naming rights, etc.

Also, Victory move out next year; if Docklands goes from 46 AFL games to 30 down the track, and no Victory, it would start to affect their bottom line pretty soon, wouldn't it?

The stadium is owned by a private company, the AFL has agreed to purchase the stadium from the owners with i beleive a final payment of $1 to them. The AFL is paying the current owners money each year payments towards the final purchase of the stadium; this money comes from the games being played there by the current tenants.

Why is the break even point for soccer/Victory only 20,000 whilst it is about 31,000 for AFL clubs? Answer that money earned on the 11,000 difference between the Victory and AFl clubs break point is being used by the owners as payment towards the AFL buying the stadium from them.

Despite what happened at the end of his great 20 year service to the club, we are still in a much better position than any of the clubs that were mentioned in the article.
Despite finishing on the bottom of the ladder 3 years out of 5 our membership figures during this period were dramatically higher than ever before and last year we broke our record.

The point he was trying to make is that Western Sydney should not have an AFL team as they do not want it, whereas Tasmania wants one.

Despite what he has done in the past, at least this time he is making some senese!

You can thank the AFL for that actually!

No we can thank Richard Pratt. The AFL tried to destroy us

How easily you forget the money the AFL gave you!

And how easily you forget the truth; your suffering was self imposed by your corrupt former president.

The buffoon is a braggart, a cheat, a lash, a liar and a bankrupt.

Let's face it, the man's a dog.

He has ZERO credibility.

They would be better off getting a quote from Barb.

The buffoon is a braggart, a cheat, a lash, a liar and a bankrupt.

Let's face it, the man's a dog.

He has ZERO credibility.

They would be better off getting a quote from Barb.

Completely agree! But as i said you can't argue with the overall argument.

There should not be a team in West Sydney because they don't want one, there should a team in Tassie becase they want one!

AFL is a the peoples game? isn't?

Completely agree! But as i said you can't argue with the overall argument.

There should not be a team in West Sydney because they don't want one, there should a team in Tassie becase they want one!

AFL is a the peoples game? isn't?

I agree that Tassie should get a full time team, however the AFL have flagged that this is not going to happen anytime soon.

Relocating a Melbourne club would be a disaster. A majority of the Melbourne clubs supporters would drop off and I can hardly see Tasmanians switching their current loyalties for a relocated Melbourne club.

The only way an AFL team in Tassie will prosper, will be if it is a 100% Tasmanian team.

How easily you forget that Carlton has already paid off its loan to the AFL, how is Norths going?

Great actually, but back on topic, do you still deny your problems were self imposed by your former corrupt president, not the AFL as you stated?

The AFL kept you alive, they should have sent you to the GC and suffered the same requirements as we had to.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne to Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Back