North Melbourne to Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Great actually, but back on topic, do you still deny your problems were self imposed by your former corrupt president, not the AFL as you stated?

The AFL kept you alive, they should have sent you to the GC and suffered the same requirements as we had to.

What are you talking about mate? This isn't a Nth V Carlton argument. If the Blues were that desperate they would generate whatever cash was required to get clear of debt....

Elliot is right, Tassie deserves a team, west syd doesn't. How does it get setup in Tassie? Well, Nth seem hte logical option, but that will never happen....so that's where we're at...

Deal with it, Nth are not in a good position - never have been, and if you don't want to relocate, do something worthwhile about your 'self imposed problems'...but don't start playing the poor little boy role that you've done for the last 2 decades...

What are you talking about mate? This isn't a Nth V Carlton argument. If the Blues were that desperate they would generate whatever cash was required to get clear of debt....

Elliot is right, Tassie deserves a team, west syd doesn't. How does it get setup in Tassie? Well, Nth seem hte logical option, but that will never happen....so that's where we're at...

Deal with it, Nth are not in a good position - never have been, and if you don't want to relocate, do something worthwhile about your 'self imposed problems'...but don't start playing the poor little boy role that you've done for the last 2 decades...

I didn't make it a North V Blues issue, the poster tried to do so; see this bit from me;

Originally Posted by 1jasonoz
Great actually, but back on topic

Oh sorry i just read the rest of your waffle!

Melbourne are in more trouble than North IMO.

Today we are in more trouble, but there's no question of any club relocating 'today'. Obviously there are degrees of everything. The fact that we may be in more trouble 'today' doesn't mean that North aren't in trouble, or Footscray for that matter.

Will we be in more trouble than North in 3 years time ?

We'll see.

Well its a pity you couldn't have focussed more on developing the points in your second paragraph which are spot on.

Your name should be "BIG SCOTT KNOWS ABSOLUTELY ****ING NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL"

here we go....here come the sooks.....ooooh, dont say anything about the Roos....

you act like little kids everytime someone says something....

1. west sydney aint viable, no one gives a toss abut footy up there
2. tassie wants it, they care about footy
3. dogs aint moving
4. melbourne 'should' be a prominent club
5. that leaves north

personally, i dont want you to relocate or fold, i love nth....but just painting out elliots story before you all took it off the rails and started having heart attacks...

Hard to disagree with Elliott's final point.

Three teams under threat, says Elliott
Paul Millar | January 12, 2009

"Tasmania is keen to get a team in the AFL," he said.

He believed the AFL wanted a continued presence in Melbourne's west and that ruled out the Bulldogs moving to Tasmania.

"One of these three clubs will have to go down to Tassie. I do not think it would be the Bulldogs and I think it would be very difficult to rout Melbourne out of Melbourne, so it does appear to me that it will eventually be North Melbourne," he said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/teams-under-threat-elliott/2009/01/11/1231608525629.html

Gotta laugh at the Sydney supporters, they are so desperate to get another club to join them in relocation that they're posting articles from John Elliot.

I mean it's John Elliot FFS.

Think I could a million reasons to disagree with that corrupt, bankrupt, senile old fool.

Today we are in more trouble, but there's no question of any club relocating 'today'. Obviously there are degrees of everything. The fact that we may be in more trouble 'today' doesn't mean that North aren't in trouble, or Footscray for that matter.

Will we be in more trouble than North in 3 years time ?

We'll see.

The fact that those three clubs are 'in trouble' as you put it also doesn't change the fact that there are others who may be in close to the same situation or may be in the near future. There are several clubs who would be very reticent to be seen as casting the first stone.

The thing that makes me laugh at these sorts of theories more than any other is that everyone is apparently all about economic rationalism when it comes to moving clubs however then these
3. dogs aint moving
5. that leaves north
sort of justifications suddenly come out of the woodwork. Melbourne 'should' be a prominent club, so that apparently means they should stay? Dogs ain't moving? Well we may as well move then. It's that simple. Personally I think the reason other teams prefer Melbourne and the Dogs to stay is that they don't win premierships that rightly belong to the big teams.

Melbourne are in more trouble than North IMO.
Melbourne will finish with more members then North this year despite finishing 9 spots lower on the ladder. Melbourne can draw very respectable crowds when going well onfield (36,000 vs West Coast @ the MCG in 2005) while North Melbourne can't.

Just wait until Melbournes onfield situation turns around and North are at the bottom, the gap will be massive. That is why around 2004-2006 when Melbourne were making finals we were never in the merger/ relocation discussions on BigFooty.

Yet North make a preliminary final and almost ship off to the Gold Coast.

FWIW i think no club will relocate. But to say North are in a stronger position then Melb is plain stupid.

here we go....here come the sooks.....ooooh, dont say anything about the Roos....

you act like little kids everytime someone says something....

1. west sydney aint viable, no one gives a toss abut footy up there
3. gods aint moving
5. that leaves north

personally, i dont want you to relocate or fold, i love nth....but just painting out elliots story before you all took it off the rails and started having heart attacks...

1. Well, Melbourne aren't a prominent club

2. That doesn't leave just North

3. What teams currently do not have a major sponsor in 2009?

4. I would dare say that North Melbourne has had more off-field success and taken bigger steps forward in the last 12 months than any club in the AFL with their off-field recruiting, Marketing Team, hand back of shares, new re-development getting the green light and about to start, membership numbers (a record) and so on. Not to mention continued on-field success, clear out of older players, blooding multiple youngsters. This club is going places.

5. People always say the Roos are in trouble. We are always told to stand behind our club, go to games, buy memberships (which I do all of these), and yet we can't defend our club.

If North had not have done these things as pointed out in point 4, then we would be in trouble.

Do you have any idea how many new sponsors we picked up during last year?

I am sure it is more than any other club out there.

Do something worthwhile about their self imposed problems?

Like post the biggest profit in the clubs history?
Like post the biggest membership in the club's history?
Secure the biggest sponsorship in the club's history?
Announce redevelopment of Arden St?
Return to a member based club?
Campaign for a better stadium deal so they don;t have to rely on AFL handouts?

Going on that, I think North are doing everything to make themselves viable, and the fact that the Dees and Dogs can't even secure a new major sponsor for next year it is more logical tat they should go before anyone else.

Going on that, I think North are doing everything to make themselves viable, and the fact that the Dees and Dogs can't even secure a new major sponsor for next year it is more logical tat they should go before anyone else.

I am not religious, but, AMEN!!

1. North Melbourne can't draw the same amount of crowds Melbourne do when we finish top 8.

2. North Melbourne can't get the same amount of members Melbourne do even though we are at rock bottom.

3. Melbourne have our history behind us which the AFL do recognise, contrary to what people say on here.

4. The biggest reason- Melbourne are on the way up while North are on the way down. North will struggle to rebuild with all the draft picks being taken off them. I mean, if you can't get members now, you can't get people to your games now, how are you going to get it when you are in our position in the short term future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great actually, but back on topic, do you still deny your problems were self imposed by your former corrupt president, not the AFL as you stated?

The AFL kept you alive, they should have sent you to the GC and suffered the same requirements as we had to.

Sent Carlton to the Gold Coast? That would have crippled AFL, do you understand how much a well positioned Carlton means to the AFL?

What Elliot and the board did was disgracefull, but the AFL by no means saved Carlton. Lets look at the punishments:

$1 MILLION Fine
2 years kicked out of the first 2 rounds of the draft.
This consequently saw us miss out on Goddard, Wells, plus a top five pick in the following year which we would have got along with Walker as well as 2 top 20 picks for both years.

The AFL had been waiting for years to punish us, which they did unmercifully.

The AFL then two years later granted us a $2 million interest free loan which we subsequently paid off after 2 and half years under a very good new managment.

If you ask me, despite what Elliot did, Collins ****ed us up even more by adding a further 3 years to Pagans contract as well as luring us to the telstra dome. The disharmony between the players during these years under Collins were the weorst experienced at the club.

However, back onto point!

I don't agree with relocation to a point! mainly because i know it would suckif my team had to move anywhere (even though i am in Brisbane). However, due to the current economic climate the sad thing is it may just have to happen. Thousands of people are losing jobs at the moment and industries are crumbling. The afl will not be able to escape this, especially with 10 teams in Melbourne.

I for one believe that North have way more resolve than say Melbourne, whom I believe have to be front runners for any kind of relocation. They are in absolute dire straights at the moment and unless the MCC and them can sort out their issues fairly quickly they are ****ed (excuse the french). The AFL is no longer in a position where they will be able to keep such clubs a float. 2009 is a massive year for the Demons, both off and on the field.

I for one definately don't see how the West Sydney expansion can work at all!

sort of justifications suddenly come out of the woodwork. Melbourne 'should' be a prominent club, so that apparently means they should stay? Dogs ain't moving? Well we may as well move then. It's that simple. Personally I think the reason other teams prefer Melbourne and the Dogs to stay is that they don't win premierships that rightly belong to the big teams.

Other teams prefer? What other teams have said they want North to move? I would have thought Essendon would be worse off without the great battles and rivalry of North....I'd certianly be upset if you moved, as with a move goes all sense of history and tradition....

I was just elaborating on Elliots comments, that I sitll htink were reasonable....and now I think you've gone all paranoid on us...

Great! That's good! Now keep going....you also nee dto appreicate that your massive steps last season only brought you up to a certain level...are you sustainable? I hope so....

I think people that mention the Melbourne name as been less likely than NOrth, will find if that is what they believe Melbourne will be the first to go. In terms of people knowing of clubs in the AFL that are just casual observers, Melbourne is right down the list and teams such as Collingwood, Essendon are the ones they know of, So there is no need to have a team called Melbourne in the AFL. There isnt a team called Perth.
For this not to happen, Melbourne supporters need to get behind there team through both Membership, turning up to games and watching them on TV. If they dont, Melbourne will be Melbourne no longer.

Why do Hawthorn supporters have it in for the Dees?

It's like you want Melbourne to perish from the rubbish that comes from your presidents mouth all the way down to supporters like you.

Leave the Dees alone. They will be back one day as a powerhouse, mark my word.

1. North Melbourne can't draw the same amount of crowds Melbourne do when we finish top 8.

2. North Melbourne can't get the same amount of members Melbourne do even though we are at rock bottom.

3. Melbourne have our history behind us which the AFL do recognise, contrary to what people say on here.

4. The biggest reason- Melbourne are on the way up while North are on the way down. North will struggle to rebuild with all the draft picks being taken off them. I mean, if you can't get members now, you can't get people to your games now, how are you going to get it when you are in our position in the short term future?
You forgot #5.
North Melbourne Have never talked with the Hawks about a merger.:thumbsu::)

From Caroline Wilson re: ASD (26 sep 2008)
"While the next commission meeting, scheduled for next month, was initially expected to reach a decision on ASD funding beyond 2009, the AFL now plans to push the MCG and Telstra Dome to lower the costs of their prohibitive ground agreements with a view to allowing the clubs to survive independently."

ie scrap the ASD.

How much would the stadiums have to cut their break even figure by for the Dogs and Melbourne to make a profit ex AFL cash?

Is this not rather optimistic? Or sinister if you are cynical.

Sent Carlton to the Gold Coast? That would have crippled AFL, do you understand how much a well positioned Carlton means to the AFL?

What Elliot and the board did was disgracefull, but the AFL by no means saved Carlton. Lets look at the punishments:

$1 MILLION Fine
This consequently saw us miss out on Goddard, Wells, plus a top five pick in the following year which we would have got along with Walker as well as 2 top 20 picks for both years.

The AFL had been waiting for years to punish us, which they did unmercifully.

The AFL then two years later granted us a $2 million interest free loan which we subsequently paid off after 2 and half years under a very good new managment.

If you ask me, despite what Elliot did, Collins ****ed us up even more by adding a further 3 years to Pagans contract as well as luring us to the telstra dome. The disharmony between the players during these years under Collins were the weorst experienced at the club.

However, back onto point!

I don't agree with relocation to a point! mainly because i know it would suckif my team had to move anywhere (even though i am in Brisbane). However, due to the current economic climate the sad thing is it may just have to happen. Thousands of people are losing jobs at the moment and industries are crumbling. The afl will not be able to escape this, especially with 10 teams in Melbourne.

I for one believe that North have way more resolve than say Melbourne, whom I believe have to be front runners for any kind of relocation. They are in absolute dire straights at the moment and unless the MCC and them can sort out their issues fairly quickly they are ****ed (excuse the french). The AFL is no longer in a position where they will be able to keep such clubs a float. 2009 is a massive year for the Demons, both off and on the field.

I for one definately don't see how the West Sydney expansion can work at all!

Do you Carlton people still think the AFL world revolves around you??

What Elliot and the board did was disgracefull,
The AFL had been waiting for years to punish us, which they did unmercifully

The AFL had been after your corrupt mob for years because you had been breaking the damn rules for years; whats next the mafia complainig about being chased by the police for years; here is a hint if you don't break the rules over a number of years you don't get chased by the authorities over those years!!

$1 MILLION Fine

Well and treuly deserved for your clubs corruption in deliberatly breaking the rules.

And money to assist you in the upkeep of Princess park as it was falling apart after Elliot allowed it to be run down in pursuait of putting all you eggs in teh new grandstand basket.

I think Elliots thoughts deserve due consideration.

I mean, look what he did for Carlton?

I agree. Elliott is a walking disaster. What right does he have to talk about this matter?

Does this mean that we will interview all past presidents from the 1990's to ask them what they think should happen about this matter?

Let's ask say Richmond's president from 1991 what he thinks about the two teams in south australia and plaster a big review on it in The Age.

This is just a blatant attempt to give Carlton bad PR. Every time Elliott opens his mouth he damages the Carlton brand and Caroline Wilson is loving it.

Over time I reckon Tasmanians would adopt a relocated club.
The % of Auskick kids identifying themselves as Hawks has tripled in just a few years.
The next generation would mostly follow any relocated club.

Although the Tasmanian (Van) Demons has a nice ring to it, I am not sure if that will benefit any club faced with relocation thought. Would Vic fans still support them? If not, it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

How would Tasnania V Collingwood in front of 22K at Aurora be better for the game than 50K+ at Pies V Dees/Roos/Dogs?

They had talks with Fitzroy though, and the deal was done until the AFL blocked it.

It wasn't the AFL that blocked the deal (although secretly they may have been working on it), it was blocked by certain clubs fearfull of creating a super side in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne to Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Back