North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember they tried this years ago but the AFL blocked it, saying you can’t sell your home games to a location that already has an AFL team.

Could the AFL have changed their tune in the hunt for money?

Would seem a bit of a dangerous precedent where rich clubs could buy home games.

Functionally, in terms of fairness, how is it any different to Geelong hosting the big Melbourne clubs at the MCG?

Precedent is already set

Two games a year could set them up pretty nicely after Tasmania.

Then it reduces the travel burden for West Coast and Freo, increases footy content in Perth, and pretty much negates any need for a third Perth team.
Poor north. They would be starting on -8 premiership points almost every year

I know North need a solution to solve the Tasmania loss but if this gets approved (with Freo or WC the opponent) we'd now have 3 sides effectively getting 12 home games per year compared to the rest of the competition's 11, alongside Gather Round. There are plenty of inequalities in the AFL, including Grand Final day, but surely the solution is to reduce the number of inequalities moving forward rather than adding new ones. It stinks.

I know North need a solution to solve the Tasmania loss but if this gets approved we'd now have 3 sides effectively getting 12 home games per year compared to the rest of the competition's 11 (alongside Gather Round). There are plenty of inequalities in the AFL, including Grand Final day, but surely the solution is to reduce the number of inequalities moving forward rather than adding new ones. It stinks.
Who's the 3rd?

Adelaide, Port, and whoever of Freo/WCE play 'away' to North in Perth.
Yeah of course. For some reason I was thinking West Coast and Freo but they wouldn't sell 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know North need a solution to solve the Tasmania loss but if this gets approved (with Freo or WC the opponent) we'd now have 3 sides effectively getting 12 home games per year compared to the rest of the competition's 11, alongside Gather Round. There are plenty of inequalities in the AFL, including Grand Final day, but surely the solution is to reduce the number of inequalities moving forward rather than adding new ones. It stinks.

Serious question, how is it really different from Geelong or a Marvel tennant playing their "home" games against the Pies/Tigers at the G?

Could argue reducing the travel burden for the WA teams is reducing one of the inequalities

If they lock in this and Gather Round until at least 2059 then yeah maybe we should address it

Serious question, how is it really different from Geelong or a Marvel tennant playing their "home" games against the Pies/Tigers at the G?

Could argue reducing the travel burden for the WA teams is reducing one of the inequalities
It's not that different, although I'd consider Geelong at least as an MCG tenant given how often they play there so those games are more neutral than anything (as opposed to St Kilda playing a home game there the last couple of years). I'm also against that, as I am when Collingwood for some reason played a home game against my own side at Marvel this year. Travel is certainly more of a burden for the WA sides, no argument there, but even then you've got 1 side receiving this advantage and not the other.
If they lock in this and Gather Round until at least 2059 then yeah maybe we should address it
Read my post genius.

Read my post genius.
Inequalities in the competition have existed since it became a National comp, but the teams that have been benefiting from it since say 1 have only started to complain about any sort of "unfairness" now that other teams are getting some small benefits.

A Perth team getting to travel a bit less is nowhere near the biggest issue with the competition

In principle I agree, but let's talk when Collingwood stop playing 14 or 15 H&A games a year at the MCG

Inequalities in the competition have existed since it became a National comp, but the teams that have been benefiting from it since say 1 have only started to complain about any sort of "unfairness" now that other teams are getting some small benefits.

A Perth team getting to travel a bit less is nowhere near the biggest issue with the competition
Didnt say its the biggest issue, nor is this the first time anyone has raised inequalities within the AFL.

As you'll see in my initial post: "surely the solution is to reduce the number of inequalities moving forward rather than adding new ones."

Weekly reminder that your team gets 16 games in their home city per year and an extra home game to WA teams still doesn't erase the inequalities the WA teams face vs the Victorian teams.

Dumbarse

12 home games instead of 17 games in your home state is an ok trade off, even still slightly vic team favoured

Weekly reminder that your team gets 16 games in their home city per year and an extra home game to WA teams still doesn't erase the inequalities the WA teams face vs the Victorian teams.

Dumbarse
"surely the solution is to reduce the number of inequalities moving forward rather than adding new ones."
12 home games instead of 17 games in your home state is an ok trade off, even still slightly vic team favoured
"surely the solution is to reduce the number of inequalities moving forward rather than adding new ones."

Why though, would there be any demand?
There's no demand in playing Freo at Docklands. There's hearsay that the club has asked the AFL not to schedule Freo at the Docklands in previous years only to get knocked back. It's a terrible crowd and I think ends up at a financial loss.

So the idea would be sell the game to Freo/WC at a small profit (instead of a loss), then Freo/WC get a full or near full house like they always do, netting themselves a small profit they wouldn't have made otherwise.

Reducing the travel inequality for the WA clubs is a step toward a more balanced competition. This is one of the easiest ways to fix this pretty important issue, a club is literally asking to be the solution lol

Regardless of how you think of it, the AFL has shown that they dont care about adding more inequalities to balance out existing inequalities. They like to have levers to play with to adjust as they see fit, the draft being the main example im referring to.

Remove this Banner Ad

North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back