North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

20% of your membership base is in WA? I call bullshit.
North have been terrible, maybe it would only be 10-15% when we are half decent... but as of Today North have over 10,000 paid WA members. According to the NMFC which I'm not sure they'd lie about to be fair, as there is nothing really to gain.
Well, we have been terrible for a while so 10,000 rusted on members seeing 2 good games per year in front of nearly 60,000 versus 35,000 paid Victorian's (Roughly 5000 Tassie Members too) watching predominantly Sunday's against interstate teams in front of less than 20,000 and getting smashed, geez I wonder.

As an earlier poster made reference to, we and WA footy go back over 50 years and include some of the greatest to ever play... it's not so far fetched. They also have money so maybe 20% of membership is not the same as 20% of fans, but it's still a respectable figure and will be more apparent the better we hopefully get. The North section for WA games is big, huge in fact. It's not so unrealistic.

Last edited:
North have been terrible, maybe it would only be 10-15% when we are half decent... but as of Today North have over 10,000 paid WA members. According to the NMFC which I'm not sure they'd lie about to be fair, as there is nothing really to gain.
Well, we have been terrible for a while so 10,000 rusted on members seeing 2 good games per year in front of nearly 60,000 versus 35,000 paid Victorian's (Roughly 5000 Tassie Members too) watching predominantly Sunday's against interstate teams in front of less than 20,000 and getting smashed, geez I wonder.

As an earlier poster made reference to, we and WA footy go back over 50 years and include some of the greatest to ever play... it's not so far fetched. They also have money so maybe 20% of membership is not the same as 20% of fans, but it's still a respectable figure and will be more apparent the better we hopefully get. The North section for WA games is big, huge in fact. It's not so unrealistic.
Thanks for editing out your weird little tantrum about Essendon.

Where does the club release the state breakdown of members?

Didnt say its the biggest issue, nor is this the first time anyone has raised inequalities within the AFL.

As you'll see in my initial post: "surely the solution is to reduce the number of inequalities moving forward rather than adding new ones."
"Reduce the number of inequalities" is fine in a hypothetical world where they all disappear at the same time, but we all know the AFL has no intention of ever removing Victorian teams (distorting the fixture / travel), nor moving the grand final (statistically shown to be a significant factor in the lopsidedness of the competition). Even within this sphere of travel they haven't even shown a willingness to make Collingwood, Essendon types travel to Tasmania and it's teams like the Perth teams that end up with that extra bit of their already packed travel schedule.

Giving one Perth team every two years a slight shift back the other way with one less travel game at least ever so slightly moves the needle for them up from 0 towards the advantage level that some teams inherently have in this competition. It doesn't get them close but at least it's something.

The people that champion something like this or Gather Round as unfair and claim it as "just wanting a fair competition" aren't out there posting it about the Grand Final. They don't care about "fairness", they care about their team not getting something another team has.

Thanks for editing out your weird little tantrum about Essendon.

Where does the club release the state breakdown of members?
lol, it's early. I half remember them sending a picture of a map of Australia with those details included. I know it's true, have seen that map more than once!

Additionally why would North not request to play Hawks down in Tassie?

This stinks of AFL intervention to get North to play a WA team to reduce travel for then. North are just the fodder.
It seems like it and the AFL are probably thinking that this will help please the WA public and fans now with more footy being played at Perth Stadium given the outcry of having Gather Round in SA long-term and travel load for the WA clubs in general.

Not saying it's a bad idea but really defeats the purpose of them being called a "Victorian" club but playing 2-4 of their home matches in another state such as WA. Still think that a Victorian / NT joint-venture team would be more beneficial for the club themselves and also for the community up in the Northern Territory instead but I'm in the minority it seems on that one.

Why would the Saints or the Hawks want to travel to WA to play a game against North which North get all the money from?
As the away team in these cases, you dont getba choice. Its not a case of want as you put it.
Away teams play where they are told.

Additionally why would North not request to play Hawks down in Tassie?

This stinks of AFL intervention to get North to play a WA team to reduce travel for then. North are just the fodder.
The WA games are a North request.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems like it and the AFL are probably thinking that this will help please the WA public and fans now with more footy being played at Perth Stadium given the outcry of having Gather Round in SA long-term and travel load for the WA clubs in general.

Not saying it's a bad idea but really defeats the purpose of them being called a "Victorian" club but playing 2-4 of their home matches in another state such as WA. Still think that a Victorian / NT joint-venture team would be more beneficial for the club themselves and also for the community up in the Northern Territory instead but I'm in the minority it seems on that one.
If they could somehow make the conditions playable in Darwin then it’s not a bad idea

In June/July you have hardly any rainfall, but the average temperature year round is 30c

If you put them on a Sunday night that could work, I’d definitely be keen to watch football at dinner time/post dinner

Can’t be a prime time Thurs > Sat night, and it can’t be any time other than night because of the extreme heat

If they were a good side you could chuck them wherever, but we wouldn’t be talking about them hosting interstate home games if they were a good side

I used to be anti shift games - and in some ways I still am - but I think of the long term benefit of having both Hawthorn and North play in Tassie for years has helped bring about a demand for a Tassie team

Is this a forerunner to a 3rd team in WA? I dont know but I wont have a go at a team trying to find revenue

If they could somehow make the conditions playable in Darwin then it’s not a bad idea

In June/July you have hardly any rainfall, but the average temperature year round is 30c

If you put them on a Sunday night that could work, I’d definitely be keen to watch football at dinner time/post dinner

Can’t be a prime time Thurs > Sat night, and it can’t be any time other than night because of the extreme heat

If they were a good side you could chuck them wherever, but we wouldn’t be talking about them hosting interstate home games if they were a good side
Sunday twilight or night could work as well as the 2nd match of a double-header on Friday night (8.10pm) with the MCG hosting 7-exclusive earlier on (6.40pm).

One thing I do absolutely know is Northern Territory will never be able to sustain a full-time license in our lifetimes unless extreme funding and resources are put into place (i.e the PNG team deal with NRL-Australian Government to join the NRL in 2027-2028) and there's a massive population boom.

That's why I've always considered NT more suitable as a secondary market or joint-venture as stated today in the 20th club thread:

Initially, the club would play 9 home matches in Melbourne, 2 in Darwin and 1 in Alice Springs (give or take). However, once the territory has the appropriate population, funding and resources intact to support a club better, more home matches would be played in Darwin & Alice Springs at the expense of Victoria. This proposal would not only keep the Victorian support and members associated with their team but also provide a brand new audience and support in the Northern Territory as well as improve player and coach participation and pathways up there.

I used to be anti shift games - and in some ways I still am - but I think of the long term benefit of having both Hawthorn and North play in Tassie for years has helped bring about a demand for a Tassie team

Is this a forerunner to a 3rd team in WA? I dont know but I wont have a go at a team trying to find revenue
Unsure if this makes a WA3 the forerunner for the 20th team. In the the AFL eyes, they are probably just thinking it will please the WA public and supporters to have more footy played over there (alongside the Indigenous match) so they can't complain about WA teams having to travel more and keeping Gather Round in Adelaide long-term.

Actually believe from this news though that Canberra / ACT region could be hot favourites now as the 20th team, if it does WA public with the Kangaroos playing some matches over in WA, as the redevelopment of Manuka Oval will go ahead now as a result of Labour retaining power after the election and this will allow BBL and WBBL to have a license there as well as more Australian cricket being played there, which could entice the AFL even more.

Unsure if this makes a WA3 the forerunner for the 20th team. In the the AFL eyes, they are probably just thinking it will please the WA public and supporters to have more footy played over there (alongside the Indigenous match) so they can't complain about WA teams having to travel more and keeping Gather Round in Adelaide long-term.

Actually believe from this news though that Canberra / ACT region could be hot favourites now as the 20th team, if it does WA public with the Kangaroos playing some matches over in WA, as the redevelopment of Manuka Oval will go ahead now as a result of Labour retaining power after the election and this will allow BBL and WBBL to have a license there as well as more Australian cricket being played there, which could entice the AFL even more.
What is the population cauldron of the ACT area?

10,000?

Absolutely no chance.

They may have come up with some bizarre metric to say they have 10,000 supporters in WA, but paid-up members? No way.

If you guys believe in this, I have some magic beans to sell you.

This is 1 thing. North Melbourne launching a absurd proposal in order to shake down the AFL to get better/more funding from them. AFL will nevet go for this. They will simply pony up the 5 million they are after in funding and this will never be spoken about again

North Melbourne are deserving of it in the end. Brisbane Lions receive 7 mill more per year then them despite having 10x the assets North have. Give them the money and stop being hypocrites.

What is the population cauldron of the ACT area?

As of currently, it's 472,803 (as of March 2024) but that is expected to grow to 785,000 by 2060 in Canberra.

Mind you, a "future" Canberra team would also gain supporters from country NSW regions nearby such as the Riverina, Wagga Wagga, Murrumbidgee and others out there.

Reckon the best person who would tell you more about a potential club license in ACT / country NSW region though is my good friend Canberra Pear and he will happily give more information on why Canberra deserves one and the stats to back them up.

Remove this Banner Ad

North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back