North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

If North want to do this then let them go for it. I would imagine it is a strategy that they would only want to employ while they are down the bottom though, particularly if they were rising at the same time as one or both of the WA clubs. They'd hate to miss top 4/ top 8/ home final because they lost a close game to Fremantle played in WA, which they may otherwise have won at Docklands.

It would also be a good way for the WA sides to have an extended stay at home mid-season.

For example:
Freo play away in the eastern states
Freo play WCE away (7 days at home)
Freo play at home (14)
Freo play NM "away" in Perth (21)
Freo get the bye (28)
Freo play Bris at home (35)
Freo travel east (+/-42)

Of course that would need the AFL on-board to fixture. Using the bye round and the local derby it could possibly be worked that WCE get +/- 4 or 5 weeks without travel as well.

The following season they flip it so WCE have the longer stay at home.

You can't talk rationally with Victorians 🤣
First of all I am WA born and bred.

Tassie come in to the comp in a couple of years time. One team won't play rd 1, what will the fixture say that team is doing?

Would it say its having a bye or would it say season has started for that team yet?

If North want to do this then let them go for it. I would imagine it is a strategy that they would only want to employ while they are down the bottom though, particularly if they were rising at the same time as one or both of the WA clubs. They'd hate to miss top 4/ top 8/ home final because they lost a close game to Fremantle played in WA, which they may otherwise have won at Docklands.

It would also be a good way for the WA sides to have an extended stay at home mid-season.

For example:
Freo play at home (14)
Freo get the bye (28)
Freo travel east (+/-42)

Of course that would need the AFL on-board to fixture. Using the bye round and the local derby it could possibly be worked that WCE get +/- 4 or 5 weeks without travel as well.

Why would the AFL schedule a bottom 4 team to play a home game in WA against a top 4 team in 2025?

How would the side who missed the top 8 feel if Freo pipped them by a win or percentage? Fans would be seriously pissed off and fair enough.

It's fine if the additional home game doesn't gift a contending side or side who are just make the top 8 by getti g a win against a bottom 4 side.

Pretty sure that's why it was knocked back years ago when the Eagles were contending g.

Last edited:
Why would the AFL schedule a bottom 4 team to play a home game in WA against a top 4 team in 2025?

How would the side who missed the top 8 feel if Freo pipped them by a win or percentage? Fans would be seriously pissed off and fair enough.

It's fine if the additional home game doesn't gift a contending side or side who are just make the top 8 by getti g a win against a bottom 4 side.

Pretty sure that's why it was knocked back years ago when the Eagles were contending g.
Is that really so different than the feeling of fans who see a team in the top 8 that had double ups against Richmond, WC, and North whilst their team had double ups against Brisbane, Sydney, and Geelong?

The fixture being unfair is not a great reason to knock this back, the fixture is always unfair

Do you think 1 game for 1 of the 2 teams would have a significant impact with that though? I might be wrong but I'd be more inclined to think having road trips for WA clubs to play several games away, and on the flipside having a decent stretch of home games together, like the NBA might be beneficial but equally that mightn't work because of the time between games.

I appreciate what this would do for both North (financially, not for on field results) and their opponent, and understand that there are some inherent disadvantages which can't really be solved organically, but the fixture (like the draft) is such a mess already so I'm not a fan at all of adding even more quirks to it - rather I think they should be removing them where they can.

Your first suggestion is spot on and what should happen. It's a no-brainer IMO.

The WA teams travel away with a 5 or 6 day break and play 2 games in Melbourne. They stay in Melbourne between matches.

Later in the season they spend two weeks at home.

Do that twice and all of a sudden the km travelled drop down and nights away from home remain the same. It's just you play two away games 8n a row.

Eddie McGuire suggested something similar but with a mini Gather Round in WA with 4 teams. Two WA side and two visiting sides saying the week.

Later the WA teams do the opposite.

For example:
Freo play at home (14)
Freo get the bye (28)
Freo travel east (+/-42)

I think a better way to manage WA. sides is for both to play away in zero round in Brisbane and Sydney and to have a bye around round six. It would give them two byes during the year rather than start the year a week later.

Remove this Banner Ad

North want to sell a home game to the Dockers or Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back