BETON5

All Australian
Dec 19, 2006
Demonland
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Storm
5 weeks ago anyone that follows afl would have north to give us a touch up,WOW! after 4 consistant weeks i cannot see north getting within 30pts of us in the second half and after 3 insipid performances,last week they were up this week they will be down.
Our middle size forwards will be too quick and unpredictable for north ,our inside/outside mids hold way more talent and explosiveness than theres,and our back 6 is like a rock atm.
Our main players that north wont be able to stop will be Davey,Sylvia,green,Scully,macdonald,jnr those 6 will get the job done against possibly the most dullest,boring,lame list in the AFL.

Let's not get to far ahead of ourselves.

North have some excellent young players particularly in the midfield.

Wouldn't be putting this game in the bag yet.

Whilst we are playing great football at the moment lets not forget what Hawthorn did to us round 1, North are coming off a great win down in tassie against the hawks and should be well respected. We have a shocking record against them and this is the type of game we have to win if we are a genuine top 8 contender. I love our running game and the fact we carry the ball straight down the guts every time, hopefully we can continue to take teams on and keep up our tackling pressure. To say we should win this game by over 30 points is just stupid as this stage though

I'm personally really looking forward to this game, both with exciting young players trying to prove to the competition that they are worthy. Pity bout the OP really

TBH I'm a little surprised that we are currently slight favourites for this. North are competitive at Etihad and we have been in our MCG comfort zone so far. If we win this then it is a fantastic effort IMO.

Our games have been at the 'G' so far where we are a 5-6 goal better side. At Etihad we are awful and North match up very well against us. I would say it's a toss up at the moment.

Be great to nail it but will rest easier after I see how we start.

DL.

Not confident at all. Yes we are playing good footy but North have been a side we haven't been able to get even remotely close to the lastfew years. Should be a more even contest this time, but to suggest that North won't get wihin 30 points of us is naieve and getting way to far ahead of ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our games have been at the 'G' so far where we are a 5-6 goal better side. At Etihad we are awful and North match up very well against us. I would say it's a toss up at the moment.

Be great to nail it but will rest easier after I see how we start.

DL.

Can people stop using this please? In the past we have been dreadful at Etihad but we've turned over an entire list.

This is a completely different team from previous years playing an entirely different style of football, if we lose it's not because of Etihad.

It's not as if Etihad's the only ground we've been terrible at......

We're seriously jinxing our chances for Saturday lol.

Can people stop using this please? In the past we have been dreadful at Etihad but we've turned over an entire list.
TBH I don't think we have ever been good at Docklands/Telstra/Etihad even when we were good circa '05/'06. It is a double sided coin, not only have we been ordinary but the opposition are generally better at Etihad - North play it well.

This is a completely different team from previous years playing an entirely different style of football, if we lose it's not because of Etihad.
I don't see how you can categorically make such a statement. It isn't an exact science. The reality is that we are a better bet against the Roos at the MCG so by logic playing at Etihad is a factor on some level.

I think the crux of it that you are addressing is that we can't use that as an excuse which in part I agree with - we have to lift when playing at other grounds. 1 thing about our style (which you alude to) is our use of the corridore which has improved so perhaps this does reduce the ground variation factor slightly.

I don't see how you can categorically make such a statement. It isn't an exact science. The reality is that we are a better bet against the Roos at the MCG so by logic playing at Etihad is a factor on some level.

We also need to consider also that we have a different coach & a different game plan that players are able to follow compared 05 & 06 when even Carlton beat us there.

First quarter is hugely important here. I am hoping we put some real physical pressure on you guys early and try and stop the run through the corridor. Melbourne's willingness to run, carry and take risks has been hugely impressive in the last four weeks.

Where are the real differences in the 2 sides?

Both have excellent young mid fields, although Melbourne's currently runs deeper.

Both have excellent young talls in defence.

Melbourne has a good ruckman, North have 3 good ruckmen.

Both forward lines are just average but North have a slight edge in marking power.

North have the home ground advantage, but Melbourne have been drilled under the same coach for much longer.

North need to control the air to be sure of winning, Melbourne needs to retain the ball.

There is bugger all in this and I have a strong feeling that these 2 clubs are going to have a pretty fierce rivalry over the next 5-10 years.

I'm leaning towards my own team because of bias, and because I think Hale might prove a little hard to handle, but there is no way I would have money on this match.

I'm really looking forward to this game. Can't wait to see Hmac and Goldy up against Jamar, Davey and Wells doing thier thing, Bartram taking Boomer (hopefully keeping him very quiet), Warnock on Hale, and the battle of the young emerging midfields.

Melbourne needs to win the ball from the stoppages to win this game. We don't have great fire power up forward (neither do North, but probably more than us). It's definately up in the air, and both teams can definately win. The other advantage Melbourne seems to have from watching both teams this year is to run out games. With the exception of the Hawks game, the Kangas have struggled a little from about half way through the third, but it's not something I would be counting on happening this week.

Like the North poster earlier, I'm leaning towards the Dee's but mostly out of bias. 2 emerging teams, with a lot riding on it (the reputation of both teams early in the season), and it should be a fierce battle. I'm hoping both teams bring their A game, it's a good contest with the Dee's running away with it in the last to win by 4 goals, but that's only hope, not expectation.

We also need to consider also that we have a different coach & a different game plan that players are able to follow compared 05 & 06 when even Carlton beat us there.
For sure, not disputing any of that. Simply making the point that regardless of how we approach the game, our opposition will theoretically be harder to beat at their home ground for multiple reasons than at the 'G - hence Etihad is a factor. We have to overcome that.

Both have excellent young talls in defence.
Melbourne have excellent young talls. North looked good last year but apart from Hansen they have been disappointing in defence this year. Frawley has been a gun and Warnock has been good.

Melbourne has a good ruckman, North have 3 good ruckmen.
Melbourne have the best ruckman though.

Both forward lines are just average but North have a slight edge in marking power.
Bate + Petterd > Hale

North need to control the air to be sure of winning, Melbourne needs to retain the ball.
Are North good at controlling air?

Agree totally.

I'm just looking for us to keep playing the footy we have been. If we do we are a great chance for a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

North wont match us on saturday!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back