2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just hope it's KPP.

Exactly what I first thought, also.

Plenty of recently retired talls who could add plenty on the field with the Northern Blues and perhaps also in some sort of coaching capacity.

It would make sense for it to be someone who has just retired but that's not necessarily the case.

Could be anyone but my first thought was LRT. At 31 you'd think his playing days are done but he would fit that profile of perhaps also coming across as a development coach. Would be a terrific acquisition IMO as someone who knows how to get the very best out of himself.

The other name which immediately sprung to mind was Mark Austin.

So we send Andy McInnes off to Norwood and they send us Kieran McGuinness back in return.

Can we get Andy Mac back when Kieran retires?

AndyMac had to get away and hopefully he can fire up again.

The last half of the year was as poor and as uninterested as I'd seen from him.
I know but still :p
From day 1 he was one of my favourites & I had very high hopes for him. Just such a shame the way everything turned out. I don't disagree with your observations but still sucks.

I cannot knock jack Anthony for his work with the NBs in 2014: he was one of few experienced players and mature bodies each week. He played better than I thought he would.
However, I am not unhappy that he won't be playing for Carlton. Like Lumumba, he follows the beat of a different drum and I don't think he would fit in very well.

But now he is gone, I hope the NBs can shell out enough cash to recruit a few guys who can play and who may stay around for a while. Having a bunch of dwarves going out each weak does not allow many of our players to develop: they need leadership and someone to show them the ropes. Getting someone like Polkinghorne (former Brisbane player) or the like would be a good idea. Some experience and some pace and may stay around for a while.
It would also give the impression that if you come to the NBs, you actually DO have a chance of playing with the big boys in the future. That would help attract the sort of players that would make the NBs competitive each week.
I am not knocking the Preston boys: they go out there and do their best. But, the way the club is run at the moment, it is very difficult to keep players and form a real team structure. Having to change Captains every year because the old one has left doesn't help us at all. There needs to be continuity and a close team culture. That will allow our boys to develop better. And that is the aim of the NBs in the first place.

Essendon's VFL team have pretty much done what you've suggested. They've already signed Polkinghorne, Marigliani, Jordan Schroeder and Sam Dunnel on the proviso they don't get onto an AFL list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon's VFL team have pretty much done what you've suggested. They've already signed Polkinghorne, Marigliani, Jordan Schroeder and Sam Dunnel on the proviso they don't get onto an AFL list.
Loading up for when half their senior team is suspended ;)

actually whilst i think about it, where is Sam Sheldon? Who do Johnson's boys play for?
Get some of the old Blue's boys down to the club and build a connection between Carlton fan base and the Northern Blues.
Having the sons playing in the NB's would be awesome.

I think Wayne Johnston son has been playing for Port Melbourne the last few seasons.
Marc Johnston I believe.

Having said that. When are we simply going to be Carlton VFL side and give up this nonsense of being Northern Blues which does no good for Preston or Carlton as an identity ?

Last edited:
AndyMac had to get away and hopefully he can fire up again.

The last half of the year was as poor and as uninterested as I'd seen from him.

He showed a lot of potential at the beginning of the year, was looking forward to seeing what he could do, but sadly dropped off in a big way..

He showed a lot of potential at the beginning of the year, was looking forward to seeing what he could do, but sadly dropped off in a big way..

He did, didn't he?

It's almost as though he accepted his fate and had mentally moved off.
There's not much left in any player when they don't give 100% and even less for those with limited ability.

Not a fan of barge arse Dirago?

Dirago isn't really the KPP that our young talls can learn and take protection from.

Some have laughed at Anthony but from what I saw he supported all the kids in the heat of battle, whilst trying to make a name for himself.

I can't begrudge him.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Northern Blues 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back