Northern Bullants - Carlton Aligned together no more

Remove this Banner Ad

My North

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
that what i have read on the AFL Board in one of the Threads.
People i know at Northern Bullants were not happy with Carlton. Northern Bullants by far have the best players in the in the VFL reserves grade and those players could not go up and play in the VFL seniors has Carlton players took priority. Those players might have left a the end and gone to other clubs or in the Dimond Valley Comp. For the Northern Bullants it could be too late.

Originally posted by The Scarecrow
Was there a reason given? Seems a shame that Carlton have dumped them. I wonder who they will align themselves with next season? If anyone.
Sports Tonight on 3aw reported that the Blues will stand alone in the VFL next year and incur the added expense. I think it will be to ensure that Mick can continue his football career. Such potential for a 300 gamer.

As a Northern Bullants man, I am one of those people who was NOT happy with CARRRRRLTON aligning with us. Anyone else but not those silver tailed (expletive)!!!!!

I just hope we can get some of those players back for 2004. Raid North Heidelberg and Heidelberg! YEAH! (Oh and Keilor while we're about it!)

The attitude of Carlton has been a disgrace. An absolute disgrace. They should be thoroughly ashamed. But the arrogrant oafs won't be. And the way their supporters are carrying on - about not having to watch players in red etc etc. Real disrespect to the VFL and Preston.

Frankston have proven that non-aligned teams can be competative if they recruit smartly - I hope for Preston's sake they can do the same.

Denis Pagan has a lot to answer for. That ridiculous rule about not playing Carlton players in the VFL reserves was a farce. Far too many good Preston blokes missed senior footy this year, and not through merit.

And where are Carlton going to get their top-up players from? They don't have a region to call on like Geelong, and you can't just call up under 18's like the old days of VSFL.

If the Blues have a few injuries next year their VFL side will struggle to be competative.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

And where are Carlton going to get their top-up players from? They don't have a region to call on like Geelong, and you can't just call up under 18's like the old days of VSFL.

Not all Geelong's top up players are from Geelong leagues.A few are from Melbourne metro clubs.

Heard from some mates over at Northern and they said that the Carlton blokes just didnt want to know them.
It was split in 2 the whole year and thats why the Bullants have been so poor this year.
Personally im glad that the allingment has gone to **** because it creates opportunity for the 2s blokes to play 1s.
Im of the understanding that the 2s this year will stay on board and with some of the guns eg Raso,Sautner,Watson will carry the side and be fairly competive.
The Bullants 2s side could be more than competive with other VFL 1s teams they are that good.
The big loser in the end will be Northern as a whole, while more than likely being a competive 1s team next year its there depth that will dwindle and then gun 2s side will be no more.

Could anyone inlighten me to how finacially stable Preston are soley as a VFL club??

Originally posted by tige19
The Bullants 2s side could be more than competive with other VFL 1s teams they are that good.

Bull****! They are good, but not THAT good.

Could anyone inlighten me to how finacially stable Preston are soley as a VFL club??

Not very. Who knows what the future holds now? It may just galvanise them, or could just as easily ruin them.:(

Originally posted by Denno
Bull****! They are good, but not THAT good.

And how would you real know??? mate they have alot of players who have played senior football.
They are a very good side and given a few of there Listed 1s players could be competive.

Originally posted by MightyFighting
Apparently the VFL nearly revoked their licence in 2000 and that had something to do with their name change.

I think the problem started before that, while I was living in Canberra in 1997 and 1998.

There was a spillage and the club nearly shut down then. We'd tried to align ourselves with the Northern Knights - consistent with the then VFL line of thinking (and we were the ONLY club to do it - even taking on their guernsey). And then the VFL turned on us. We fought them off - including an accusation that Cramer Street wasn't up the standard (if that ground isn't, then neither is Frankston or Box Hill!), had a change of off field leadership in the process - but we were never the same. The name change to the Northern Bullants came as a shock to me even though it brought back the proud red and white!

If we can hook back up with the Knights again that should help. I don't think we have to field a reserve grade side to recharge - or we shouldn't need to if we are to survive (just one season will do) and also revert back to Preston. The northern suburbs needs a VFL representative standing on it's own (no offence to anyone from Coburg!) and the mighty Bullants are it!!

dont know what the vfl policy is to fielding a vfl reserves side. a couple of years ago preston reserves side were has almost as bad as what springvale reserves side is this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by timelord
The northern suburbs needs a VFL representative standing on it's own (no offence to anyone from Coburg!) and the mighty Bullants are it!!

See this is were you are completley and utterly wrong.
Finacialy Coburg are far more viable than Preston not to mention ground Facilities, Club facilities and sponsorship.
If you think that the Bullants will be the stronger of the 2 in the Northern suburbs you are wrong and history suggests that, comparing the 2 success wise is a joke, Preston arent even on the same planet.
Its unfortunate that the certain few down Preston way who believe there club is a power and should dominate the Coburg-Prestom rivalry are sadly mistaken as has been proven in the past.
No disrespect to the Bullants but they have Nothing compared to Coburg, Historically and success wise.

cheers

Its a shame the AFL clubs did not align with their traditional VFA affiliates. Preston and Collingwood have always had close ties, as have StKilda/Sandringham and Williamstown/Footscray.

Originally posted by tige19
See this is were you are completley and utterly wrong.
Finacialy Coburg are far more viable than Preston not to mention ground Facilities, Club facilities and sponsorship.
If you think that the Bullants will be the stronger of the 2 in the Northern suburbs you are wrong and history suggests that, comparing the 2 success wise is a joke, Preston arent even on the same planet.
Its unfortunate that the certain few down Preston way who believe there club is a power and should dominate the Coburg-Prestom rivalry are sadly mistaken as has been proven in the past.
No disrespect to the Bullants but they have Nothing compared to Coburg, Historically and success wise.

How long would Coburg last without Richmond's support? Five seconds. That's what I think. They were almost gone before and after their time as Coburg/Fitzroy - and without Richmond they would have folded. The Bullants may have been in bother as well, but we fought back - on our own!

There's no point comparing the history of the two clubs. That's a furphy. It's the future that counts. Anyway - even though I haven't been to Coburg for some time, I'd put Cramer Street ahead of it in a second. And that's not just because I'm a Bullant fan. The stand at Coburg is woefully placed, and the ground is more open than Preston - in my unbiased opinion.

Edit - and I just heard that the Bullies schellacked the Tigers today! :p

Timelord you might get to find out next year how good Coburg do by themselves. All's not rosey down there (whatever Tige19 says). They were a financial laughing stock before the Tigers took over and if they hadn't have then Coburg would have folded. A lot of Coburg players have left and once again they were ringing around local clubs this week looking for players to top up their two's.

The northern suburbs needs a VFL representative standing on it's own (no offence to anyone from Coburg!) and the mighty Bullants are it!!
2003 Average Crowds up to June 28th:

Northern Bullants 2045 (up 36%)
Coburg 1877 (up 60%)

No doubt the Carlton people have caused the increase at Northern Bullants, but to say that Northern are the mightly Northern Suburbs team is a joke. Coburg have had a good rise in home game attendances this year, not bad for a side struggling on the field.

Coburg have one of the best grounds in the competition that surface stands up to a lot of football traffic on it. I agree the grandstand is badly positioned, however there is plenty of room in it and it is far better than most other grounds in the VFL. Try standing up all day at Werribee or Williamstown like I have the last two weeks then you won't whinge about Coburgs facility.

Until the VFL handed Bullants money to build those new rooms, didn't visitors have to use some shabby rooms out the back somewhere??? The Northern Knights played one or two games at Cramer St last year cos the facilities were so poor.

I don't think anyone has ever denied that the Coburg FC isn't struggling financially, it has been common knowledge for the last few years.

Hopefully the new president gets things happening down there over the summer, their coach will be better for a year experience in the VFL, the Richmond list will be cleaned out a bit and they should try and get a relationship going with the Calder Cannons and make sure more of them join the list next year.

Oh, and who has more history? Well the Northern Bullants have 4 flags and Coburg has 6 flags. Or should that be Northern Bullants none and Preston Bullants 4.

Originally posted by footyman

Coburg 1877 (up 60%)

Oh, and who has more history? Well the Northern Bullants have 4 flags and Coburg has 6 flags. Or should that be Northern Bullants none and Preston Bullants 4.
Those increased crowds are probably Carlton and Richmond supporters, not real Coburg or Preston supporters.

BTW Port Melbourne 15 premierships:D I'm tipping it'll be 16 in a month.;)

Originally posted by The_Guru
Timelord you might get to find out next year how good Coburg do by themselves. All's not rosey down there (whatever Tige19 says). They were a financial laughing stock before the Tigers took over and if they hadn't have then Coburg would have folded. A lot of Coburg players have left and once again they were ringing around local clubs this week looking for players to top up their two's.

Ummmmm, didn't I say earlier in this thread that Coburg would have fallen over if Richmond hadn't saved them? (Sorry if that sounds like a smart alec remark)

Coburg 1877 (up 60%)

But the Bullies are still pulling more people! OK, let's not start a stat based debate because no one will win with that - reason being that you can make stats prove anything you like.

No doubt the Carlton people have caused the increase at Northern Bullants, but to say that Northern are the mightly Northern Suburbs team is a joke. Coburg have had a good rise in home game attendances this year, not bad for a side struggling on the field.

Wait a minute, will everyone please stop taking my "mighty Bullants" comment so LITERALLY?? I'm a fan for crying out loud. Let me be a little biased, and not put meaning into my remark that was never there!!

Coburg have one of the best grounds in the competition that surface stands up to a lot of football traffic on it. I agree the grandstand is badly positioned, however there is plenty of room in it and it is far better than most other grounds in the VFL. Try standing up all day at Werribee or Williamstown like I have the last two weeks then you won't whinge about Coburgs facility.

Another case of putting words into my mouth. I wasn't whinging about Coburg's facilities. I just made some observations about the differences as I saw it between Coburg and Cramer Street. I agree with you about Werribee (Willy I don't know because I've never been there). Preston is definitely better than Box Hill or Springvale. Yeah, then there's North Ballarat (great), Bendigo (magnificent!), Frankston (a personal favourite), Sandringham (very good and a VAFA finals venue - as is Cramer Street BTW!) and yes Port Melbourne.

Until the VFL handed Bullants money to build those new rooms, didn't visitors have to use some shabby rooms out the back somewhere??? The Northern Knights played one or two games at Cramer St last year cos the facilities were so poor.

HUH? They might have when the social rooms were renovated a few years back but that was all as far as I know!

The Bullants (Northern and Preston) have four flags. Actually it's six - and Coburg eight (counting Division Two).

But I'm not going to join a historical argument in this - because as I said before, it's a furphy. A distraction. This is about the future - not the past.

Another case of putting words into my mouth. I wasn't whinging about Coburg's facilities.
LOL, did I put words in your mouth???

even though I haven't been to Coburg for some time, I'd put Cramer Street ahead of it in a second. And that's not just because I'm a Bullant fan. The stand at Coburg is woefully placed, and the ground is more open than Preston - in my unbiased opinion

LOL, did I put words in your mouth???

OK I'll rephrase that.

Don't apply a thought pattern to me that I was not putting.

That is - I was expressing an opinion, NOT whinging.

Cramer st club rooms are a joke as are there toilets and showers. Also you say that Coburgs Grand stand is a shocker, have you actually sat in Prestons stand lately??? it is a joke, the groun is pathetically placed (right next to a train station) itsin the middle of Prestons most disgusting surroundings and parking is more than laughable.
Timelord do you have any idea what so ever??? how do you say that Cramer is better than Box Hill??? yet then go on to claim Frankston is a personal Favourite :confused: you are 1 of the more 'Lost' blokes on the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Northern Bullants - Carlton Aligned together no more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back