northern knights 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

footyfan97

Senior List
Aug 12, 2009
bendigo
AFL Club
West Coast
should be looking to improve on last years efforts where they managed to just scrape into the 8. they have a very strong list of under-agers with the likes of buckley, newnes, longer, atta, mullins and douglas but seem to fall away with their top agers with only five players picked in the initial under 18 metro squad two of those being under-agers in buckley and longer. One area they seem to be really lacking in is a quality ruckman meaning loner will have to have a solid year. treloar and caddy must have big years if northern want to push for a flag. i predict they will finish between 4-8

Nice run down footyfan97. I don't know too much about their bottom age players.

I'd agree with you on Treloar and Caddy.

One you haven't mentioned is Alex Rintoul. I know he'll have a fair bit of footy this year for Marcellin but I think he'd be that needs to step up this year. He didn't play many games in 2009 at the Knights - and hardly touched the ball when he did play - but as a 190cm, strongly built player hopefully we see a bit more competitiveness from him this year.

Taylor Veal is another key player for them, strong body, was up around the 20 possessions a game in the second half of this season and was a goalkicker. Finished 3rd in last years B&F.

Darcy Barden showed he could be a handy tall that can be given a role forward or back and be relied upon.

But there doesnt seem to be a lot of top age depth there. Denis seemed to give a lot of games to top age players last year.

Nice run down footyfan97. I don't know too much about their bottom age players.

I'd agree with you on Treloar and Caddy.

One you haven't mentioned is Alex Rintoul. I know he'll have a fair bit of footy this year for Marcellin but I think he'd be that needs to step up this year. He didn't play many games in 2009 at the Knights - and hardly touched the ball when he did play - but as a 190cm, strongly built player hopefully we see a bit more competitiveness from him this year.

Taylor Veal is another key player for them, strong body, was up around the 20 possessions a game in the second half of this season and was a goalkicker. Finished 3rd in last years B&F.

Darcy Barden showed he could be a handy tall that can be given a role forward or back and be relied upon.

But there doesnt seem to be a lot of top age depth there. Denis seemed to give a lot of games to top age players last year.

thanks for that FM. another under age i forgot to mention was michael mascoulis who performed well for the knights last in the season. was wanting to hear about your thoughts on doug morris and rick mullins. both were standout junior players but seem to have fallen off a bit. both are strongly built players which is most likely why they were so dominant in the younger levels especially rick. Ricky was a state under 15 captain but then didnt even get invited to the under 16 state squad. I have heard whispers that coaches are looking for more athletically built kids and don't want the tanks in the junior teams anymore

thanks for that FM. another under age i forgot to mention was michael mascoulis who performed well for the knights last in the season. was wanting to hear about your thoughts on doug morris and rick mullins. both were standout junior players but seem to have fallen off a bit. both are strongly built players which is most likely why they were so dominant in the younger levels especially rick. Ricky was a state under 15 captain but then didnt even get invited to the under 16 state squad. I have heard whispers that coaches are looking for more athletically built kids and don't want the tanks in the junior teams anymore
Saw Mascoulis play a couple of times towards the end of the season, left footer played on half back flank/wing and got a bit of the footy. Haven't seen either of the other two play - Morris I dont think played U18s in 09, and Mullins got a few chances during the middle of the year when the Nationals were on but I didnt see the Knights at that time.

If the coaches are looking for more athletically built kids thats a good thing, I think the Knights have tended to go a tad over the top with the tanks in recent years.

adam marcon anyone? i remember dennis pagan saying on tac cup future stars he is one to watch... ive played with him and reckon he will have a big year... played a fair bit last year too as a bottom ager. thoughts?

Billy Longer is clearly their best prospect and will surely be at West Sydney if they get the same concessions as GC.
Buckley can seriously play however quite slight and Rintoul is another good prospect.
My thoughts are they have followed the same path as the Jets and gone for early developers rather than athletic footballers.
I am eager to watch their footy clubs progress this year. For a long time they were the benchmark.

adam marcon anyone? i remember dennis pagan saying on tac cup future stars he is one to watch... ive played with him and reckon he will have a big year... played a fair bit last year too as a bottom ager. thoughts?
Dropped off a bit as 2009 progressed I thought after a promising start. Think he played mostly down back as a smallish defender, there's not a lot of him so hopefully he's grown and can work into the midfield.

Without wanting to speak too ill of anyone, the Knight's new coach doesn't come overly recommended from some past coaching efforts.

Spoke to someone yesterday who had him a few years ago(2008) in the ammmos and said he was totally awful.

I hope I am wrong but I have heard it before about him!

Rocky,

The knights team of 2010 will be very fortunate to have a coach of the quality Anthony Allen. An excellent communicator and great football strategist and the right person to develop the boys top their maximum potential.

Rocky,

The knights team of 2010 will be very fortunate to have a coach of the quality Anthony Allen. An excellent communicator and great football strategist and the right person to develop the boys top their maximum potential.

Someone who can communicate and develope strengths is a bonus, has to be better than someone who can be heard from his coach's box on the other side of the ground. This level should be about development not the amount of games you win. A good coach should be judged on the drafted/rookied players not ladder positions.

From a spectator's point of view surely he can't be any worse than Pagan! If it wasn't for a kid they plucked out of school footy for the last month of the season (Grimley) the Knights wouldn't have had anybody taken in the National Draft last year.

Hopefully they get some stability with the coach this time, I think Allen will be the 7th coach the Knights have had in my time following the TAC Cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a spectator's point of view surely he can't be any worse than Pagan! If it wasn't for a kid they plucked out of school footy for the last month of the season (Grimley) the Knights wouldn't have had anybody taken in the National Draft last year.

Hopefully they get some stability with the coach this time, I think Allen will be the 7th coach the Knights have had in my time following the TAC Cup.

can anyone offer any opinions on MORRIS.I hear he has had a fantastic pre season,and is cherry ripe to deliver according to some

Rocky,

Ahh, I have just stopped laughing.

You will see for yourself, but your comments are that far off the mark it isn't funny.
I hope it works out for him and the knights but I am fairly confident this will be a one year tenure.

Ahh, I have just stopped laughing.

You will see for yourself, but your comments are that far off the mark it isn't funny.
I hope it works out for him and the knights but I am fairly confident this will be a one year tenure.

Don't know anything about him but a one year tenure is a standard timeframe for coach's at the Knights (the question could be, why?). If he lasts more than one year then he has achieved something others before him haven't.

Had a look at the Knights games down at Vic Park last Saturday against the jets and the a couple of players really stood out ot me.

Caddy in the midfield once he came on was dominent and looked a class above everyone else on the field.

Barden looked the goods up forward and showed he will be massively important for the Knights this year.

Finally two 19 years olds down back Witkowski who has been at teh knights for a couple of years and new name in Biffen both showed some good signs with rebound from the half back line

Does look as though the Knights will be a small side again this as they seemed to lack quality and quanity in the talls department.

My cousin is an under-age player playing for the Knights this season. He's a key-position forward who has a very similar style to that of one Buddy Franklin. He goes by the name of J. Breukel, should be one to watch...

Playing with Greater Western Sydney this year in the TAC Cup.

My info is the the GWS Tac team will struggle big time this year.

IIRC Tom was a draft camp invitee in 2008, a VM player and one of those kids who have been eligible for the last 2 years.

Unless his family have moved up that way, why would he have been approved as an overage player in an interstate club?

Would've been listed somewhere in the VFL for sure. I hope it works out for the young man.

My info is the the GWS Tac team will struggle big time this year.

IIRC Tom was a draft camp invitee in 2008, a VM player and one of those kids who have been eligible for the last 2 years.

Unless his family have moved up that way, why would he have been approved as an overage player in an interstate club?

Would've been listed somewhere in the VFL for sure. I hope it works out for the young man.
Yep, correct, eligible in two national drafts and one rookie draft and not picked at all.

I hope it works out for him too, but as I've said before it seems he's been handed the "jackpot" when a number of other guys just as deserving - and just as stuff - have had to look at VFL, SANFL or AFLQ. Hopefully he makes the most of the very, very lucky opportunity he's been given.

Remove this Banner Ad

northern knights 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back