2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 3 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

That was better than I expected. Ollie Lord keeps improving. Dylan Williams is a threat. Surman was good in ruck. Pasini solid down back. Farrell looks a class above on the ball. Burgoyne is a classy player, can't wait until he picks up a weight.

That was better than I expected. Ollie Lord keeps improving. Dylan Williams is a threat. Surman was good in ruck. Pasini solid down back. Farrell looks a class above on the ball. Burgoyne is a classy player, can't wait until he picks up a weight.
Surman has a decent jump - he looked strong in the ruck, he put in a solid effort.

I did a double take at half time when they showed the premiership table and Glenelg were top and unbeaten. The crows were leading 10 goals to 3 at half time and I thought that was all she wrote. The Bays kicked 10 in the third and coasted to the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had about three shots in the last quarter touched on the line or hit the post.

That wasn't a bad watch, scrappy but in the right spirit.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Who cares about them.

We've allowed the sanfl to make us amateurs. We accept them mocking our club.
When you consider that there is often a majority of top-up players in the line-up anyway (like tonight), has the overall benefit to the Power been worth the impact on the Magpies? Obviously I don't think so but interesting what most old school magpies fan who loves the AFL team also would think.

Can someone explain to me why we can't take back our zones, have a reserves side and develop our own kids?

I'd rather watch that than AFL.
Then you're even more pathetic than Koch and Hinkley. We could go 0-22 this year and give Hinkley a ten year contract extension and we'd still be less mediocre than the best SANFL side.

When you consider that there is often a majority of top-up players in the line-up anyway (like tonight), has the overall benefit to the Power been worth the impact on the Magpies? Obviously I don't think so but interesting what most old school magpies fan who loves the AFL team also would think.
The SANFL will be dead in 20 Years, Norwood, Glenelg and Sturt will be lucky to Ammos. We saw the exodus of talent this year, it has started.

So in that basis, if the regime don’t screw the pooch I the ones, I am going to live watching Port Adelaide survive!

For me Port Adelaide joined the AFL. That's what I voted for nearly 30 years ago. The team in the sanfl is a ghost or an echo of an earlier glorious time.

But to me it's now a development team for the AFL side. It should be highly competitive to help the development of those players, but the sanfl doesn't want AFL reserves sides winning their competition.

Sure I'm still invested in Port's sanfl games and like to see them win. But ultimately I want to see the improvement and potential in young kids we gave drafted.

So we are handicapped. We have tried to get around the rules in small ways but we could actually make ourselves more competitive with smarter decisions.

Maybe you give someone like Hamish Hartlett and extra year on the AFL list, just to strengthen the team at the sanfl level and lead young guys in the sanfl.

You move on Sutcliffe who is not a leading sanfl player any more and bring in a freshly delisted but still quality player as the marquee.

The benefit to Port Adelaide of being able to control the way their players are treated and that they are able to play together far outweighs the setbacks of the sanfl imposed restrictions.

In an ideal world a truly nationally focused and professional AFL would be providing a fully funded national reserves competition where we would not be restricted in the players we can choose as top ups.

They are my thoughts as an old school Port Adelaide supporter. I'm sure many will agree and many others will disagree.

Back in the 80's or early 90's, if there was a decision to be made that would benefit the Magpies senior squad but be a detriment to the Magpies reserves squad, would you be in favour of that decision? I imagine your answer to that question is probably yes. For similar reasons, that's also my answer to your question.

that’s the best game I’ve seen Burgoyne play for us.
I’m starting to think he could make it.
He will make it. Sure he's skinny but he's got genuine ability.
Given the season is shot I'd love to see him get a few games on the trot in the second half of the year. He'll step up.

Jackson had a quiet one but he's a bit feisty.
Did he change into number 6, and was that him having a go at some Norwood players late? The website had him listed as 6, but I saw him earlier in 39... I didn't mind whoever that was in 6 pushing and shoving at the end

Did he change into number 6, and was that him having a go at some Norwood players late? The website had him listed as 6, but I saw him earlier in 39... I didn't mind whoever that was in 6 pushing and shoving at the end

That was him, he changed guernseys after getting blood on the #39

You talk like the identity of a football club is its nickname.

The identity of a club isn't the nickname, the Port Adelaide Football Club has been the cockledivers, the mudholians, the magentas, the Magpies, Port Power.

The Port Adelaide Football Club earned the right and won a licence to compete in the AFL, for that privilege we were prepared to accept the SANFL was not our priority. I'd love to win a SANFL flag and stick it up the SANFL, but honestly does it really matter what happens in a development competition, to our reserves side. The answer is no, and that was 100% a price worth paying for our club to be competing in the AFL.

The worst thing we really did when moving to the AFL, was agree to keep a SANFL team as it creates this sort of naive confusion where people act like the Magpies are something other than what they are. The PAFC is in the AFL. The Magpies are just a small part of that now and certainly a lower irrelevant comp like the SANFL is not a priority. If you're an old school Port fan you should be watching the PAFC in the AFL, and if you aren't then you obviously were never a real Port supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back