2nds Port Adelaide vs North Adelaide - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

The nuffies have started already. Keep ignoring the pattern of all the other talented young kids with proven AFL ability that this has happened to. It's all Dylan's fault! Kenny can't kick it for him!
This is really just bullshit. There are some things that are Kens fault, the form of every single individual in the squad is not one of those. It's time to let go of Sam Hayes, he was just not good enough.

I've been a Williams fan historically, but the facts are that he is an athletically challenged footballer who fills a niche role, and there's only one or two of those roles in the side at any given time.

Not everyone can play as the loose intercepting back and if you are in poor form it is unlikely you are going to get a gig.

Agree that he should be pushed into the midfield - hopefully build some form and support what is currently a rubbish SANFL onballer group.

I appreciate it’s a reserves side but year by year the top up players have just become worse and worse, to the point where a lot of them are fringe amateur league players, what is the answer? Is it going to improve joining the VFL ? Could we attract better players? For a start I would have an older coach and an experienced captain.
Can’t see how getting flogged and playing with undersized amateur league players helps the development of young AFL players.
Not sure why the club think the VFL is going to the magical answer to these problems, we’ll be getting belted by more than we are now. We’d get pantsed by Coburg.

The Crows play by the same rules as us and are infinitely more competitive, can’t recall them copping too many humiliating hidings over the years? They’ve got an experienced coach in Godden, and always had decent top-ups with Matthew Wright, Madgen etc.

We can blame the SANFL all we want and yes, some of the restrictions are draconian. But blindly hand-balling the coaching gig to a loser like Hartlett, and not even bothering to go out an attract an experienced player to guide the youngsters around the park, suggests a complete lack of effort from the club in even trying to make the SANFL program competitive.

Yep it’s the second tier comp who cares blah blah, but these results, while wearing that jumper, are still a complete embarrassment to the club.

I don't know what happened to Dylan over the off-season, it's like he forgot how to run or move quickly. He looks so slow this year. And even his usually deadly kick has become hit and miss. It's tough in a defence under siege but his lack of pace and quick movement is getting exposed.

I would be tempted to put him in the undermanned midfield so he can use his strength over the ball and get into some space to distribute the ball. And rest forward now and again to have a ping at goals.

The sanfl side just can't hang onto the ball for any length of time over the 4 quarters. Every now and again they get it right and you can see what they're trying to do, but too often they butcher it. Dyl could help with the continuity of play with clean hands and accurate disposal.
Could not like this more. Could not agree with this more. Try Dylan in the midfield. Rest forward.

Not sure why the club think the VFL is going to the magical answer to these problems, we’ll be getting belted by more than we are now. We’d get pantsed by Coburg.

The Crows play by the same rules as us and are infinitely more competitive, can’t recall them copping too many humiliating hidings over the years? They’ve got an experienced coach in Godden, and always had decent top-ups with Matthew Wright, Madgen etc.

We can blame the SANFL all we want and yes, some of the restrictions are draconian. But blindly hand-balling the coaching gig to a loser like Hartlett, and not even bothering to go out an attract an experienced player to guide the youngsters around the park, suggests a complete lack of effort from the club in even trying to make the SANFL program competitive.

Yep it’s the second tier comp who cares blah blah, but these results, while wearing that jumper, are still a complete embarrassment to the club.
Agreed, the tingle's top up players appear to be significantly better than ours, and I `can't recall them getting too many humiliating hidings' either.

If my memory is serving me correctly their coach has had quite a bit of success at that level, whilst we have gone for the easy out by appointing a bloke who would have almost certainly struggled to get a senior gig at any other club, and that has SFA to do with the sanfl rules.

I've got to the stage where I barely care about what is left of the Maggies which as recently as 5 years or so ago I wouldn't have thought was possible, but seeing the PB's trashed so often at Alberton by clubs, some of whom would have been lucky to win there once in a decade has convinced me that jumper should have been retired and only brought out for special occasions, and not disgraced week after week by C and D grade suburban rubbish footballers, many of who wouldn't have lasted a single training session under Fos Williams or Jack Cahill, not that they would have got onto the park anyway as Bob McLean wouldn't have let them past the gate.

If they played as the Power reserves wearing the BIB the weak efforts would obviously still be annoying, but nowhere near as much as seeing one of the most famous jumpers in the history of Aussie rules being treated like a f****** dish rag!

As some people have said who cares snafl is a 2nd rate league blah blah... But seeing us the last few years getting belted is not good enough.

Now I played football for many years and for 4 different clubs... The successful clubs were strong not just in the A's but B's ect as well.

Winning culture is what we once had all through the grades. I watched port magpies B grade premiership years ago and loved it.

We must get stronger as a club as a whole and not disregard the reserve's because they are important to the future of the club.

Agreed, the tingle's top up players appear to be significantly better than ours, and I `can't recall them getting too many humiliating hidings' either.

If my memory is serving me correctly their coach has had quite a bit of success at that level, whilst we have gone for the easy out by appointing a bloke who would have almost certainly struggled to get a senior gig at any other club, and that has SFA to do with the sanfl rules.

I've got to the stage where I barely care about what is left of the Maggies which as recently as 5 years or so ago I wouldn't have thought was possible, but seeing the PB's trashed so often at Alberton by clubs, some of whom would have been lucky to win there once in a decade has convinced me that jumper should have been retired and only brought out for special occasions, and not disgraced week after week by C and D grade suburban rubbish footballers, many of who wouldn't have lasted a single training session under Fos Williams or Jack Cahill, not that they would have got onto the park anyway as Bob McLean wouldn't have let them past the gate.

If they played as the Power reserves wearing the BIB the weak efforts would obviously still be annoying, but nowhere near as much as seeing one of the most famous jumpers in the history of Aussie rules being treated like a f****** dish rag!
Spot on. The whole thing’s being devalued and desecrated on a weekly basis by blokes who should be playing Div 3 SAAFL.

Fix it, or consign it to history where it can’t be damaged anymore and can stand proudly.

I see the club hasn’t even bothered posting a final score update on two thirds of their social media platforms, presumably because they’re too embarassed. As they should be.

As some people have said who cares snafl is a 2nd rate league blah blah... But seeing us the last few years getting belted is not good enough.

Now I played football for many years and for 4 different clubs... The successful clubs were strong not just in the A's but B's ect as well.

Winning culture is what we once had all through the grades. I watched port magpies B grade premiership years ago and loved it.

We must get stronger as a club as a whole and not disregard the reserve's because they are important to the future of the club.
Recent Hawthorn, Geelong, Richmond AFL premierships all coincided with VFL flags in the same year. That’s all you need to know. We treat the Magpies with utter disdain, it’s not good.

I hate to see the Maggie’s getting a shellacking. Yes, there are injuries, McKenzie, Jones, Jackson, Burgoyne & Narkle with Sweet being ill and Moore (the captain) also injured - put those players back in and I think we would have been competitive yesterday. Rozee & Soldo are automatic first team players & SPP is season ending. In the Hawthorn preview thread I mentioned that Charlie should be rested for that game and that immediately makes the Maggie’s weaker and it will be the same when Boak has a rest. Perhaps signing those two up for 2024 was a mistake? I said perhaps! Charlie & Trav also could perhaps play the 2nd half of the season with the 2’s?
If we use the mid season draft perhaps we should go for a midtwenties journeyman - one who knows the rope and should come with a stronger body. Who knows, we may strike it lucky and he could make the firsts? He could be better than a skinny kid.

Last edited:
I don't know what happened to Dylan over the off-season, it's like he forgot how to run or move quickly. He looks so slow this year. And even his usually deadly kick has become hit and miss. It's tough in a defence under siege but his lack of pace and quick movement is getting exposed.

I would be tempted to put him in the undermanned midfield so he can use his strength over the ball and get into some space to distribute the ball. And rest forward now and again to have a ping at goals.

The sanfl side just can't hang onto the ball for any length of time over the 4 quarters. Every now and again they get it right and you can see what they're trying to do, but too often they butcher it. Dyl could help with the continuity of play with clean hands and accurate disposal.
Agree. Noticed right from the first open pre season training session Dylan was noticably heavier which is a real shame given all the hard work and ground he made last year.

This is really just bullshit. There are some things that are Kens fault, the form of every single individual in the squad is not one of those. It's time to let go of Sam Hayes, he was just not good enough.
Yes, you are one of the nuffies, in case we couldn't tell from the username. Thanks for proving my point.

Sam Hayes was plenty good enough in 2021 and early 2022 (if you've ever seen a better ruck performance from a player in their second game than his 47 hitouts and 17 hitouts to advantage in Round 6 2022, I'd like to hear about it) until we crushed his confidence. Just like Dylan Williams was plenty good enough last year until we crushed his confidence. And if you go back in time far enough, John Butcher's goalkicking was plenty good enough until we crushed his confidence. The fact that you're completely unable to demonstrate pattern recognition doesn't make it untrue.

Yes, you are one of the nuffies, in case we couldn't tell from the username. Thanks for proving my point.

Sam Hayes was plenty good enough in 2021 and early 2022 (if you've ever seen a better ruck performance from a player in their second game than his 47 hitouts and 17 hitouts to advantage in Round 6 2022, I'd like to hear about it) until we crushed his confidence. Just like Dylan Williams was plenty good enough last year until we crushed his confidence. And if you go back in time far enough, John Butcher's goalkicking was plenty good enough until we crushed his confidence. The fact that you're completely unable to demonstrate pattern recognition doesn't make it untrue.
John Butcher's goal kicking was never good enough lol. If that is the hill you are dying on then you are mad.

Hayes wasnt an AFL ruckman. Didn't have the tank. Will never have the tank. The fact no one even had a sniff of him after he was delisted says it all. In a league where Keegan Brooksby was on an AFL list for what felt like 10 years it is pretty telling if you can't get a spot as a ruckman.

Also your acting as Williams has been sitting in the SANFL for 2 years. He played for most of the year last year. He got a go for two AFL games this year. He wasn't in great form. He got dropped. He isn't setting the SANFL on fire. That's the story.

Also Jake Neade was a way better footballer than Sam Hayes. Hayes could only dream to have met the high benchmark of Neadey.

John Butcher's goal kicking was never good enough lol. If that is the hill you are dying on then you are mad.
Your record of being wrong about everything continues unabated. 11.1 in 2011, 11.4 in 2012 and 9.6 in 2013 at an accuracy rate of 74% not good enough for you?

Incidentally Hayes got picked up by North in the VFL, don't be surprised to see him end up on their list in the midseason draft following the CCJ injury. A quick search of North's Bigfooty board gives the following results from the first page alone:

Sam Hayes good in the ruck early

Keep free away from the team

Hayes in the ruck much better option then free. Would be happy to give free the rest of the season off and have Hayes every week. If we're looking at a mature age ruck end of season might be worth listing him

Option as our 2nd pick in the MSD as well.

If we don't draft Hayes we're freaking nuts.
Why ? Good question, he is better than Free.

Last edited:
Your record of being wrong about everything continues unabated. 11.1 in 2011, 11.4 in 2012 and 9.6 in 2013 at an accuracy rate of 74% not good enough for you?
You're missing the cases where he missed the goals entirely. In 2013 he actually had 20 shots. 9 goals, 6 behinds, 5 shots that didn't register a score.

Also, there's this thing called regression to the mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recent Hawthorn, Geelong, Richmond AFL premierships all coincided with VFL flags in the same year. That’s all you need to know. We treat the Magpies with utter disdain, it’s not good.
Yeah, we're trashing the Magpies' brand and legacy at the moment.
Maybe deliberate by Cardone and Koch, to put people off of the PB's bandwagon?

Shulzy please. Lies, damned lies and statistics. Now include his non scoring shots on goal.
Just as an aside are you available to do my tax return at end of financial year?

Incidentally Hayes got picked up by North in the VFL, don't be surprised to see him end up on their list in the midseason draft following the CCJ injury. A quick search of North's Bigfooty board gives the following results from the first page alone:
Why do you do it to yourself Schulzy geez. lol. You have to know all of this is absolute shite but you hit post anyway.

Then again North do love a player who barely tries...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back