luvlicca

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Vics, Dragons
Just heard on Sky News, that John Worsfold knew that Cuz had a "substance abuse" (he didnt say what it was just said that) problem since July last year. He said he has no doubt that Cuz wll play football again, but he doubted very much that it would be with the Eagles.

I'm not sure if there will be a link for it, but I thought I would post it for anyone who doesnt have Foxtel, not sure if it is has been on any other channels. Couldnt find a link for sky news, but I found this one from the herald sun. It doesnt say exactly what the news said, but it is along the same lines.

I think it is sad if Woosha knew this and did nothing. I know it is not in his job description, but a duty of care here I would have thought.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21425041%5E20322,00.html

I think it is sad if Woosha knew this and did nothing. I know it is not in his job description, but a duty of care here I would have thought.

Did nothing? They sat down with Ben, his dad and his manager to discuss it. This is obviously a better option than immediately going public, as it allows the player to get clean and do the right thing by everyone, including the club.

What else was he expected to do? Hire a detective to follow him around? Get a high school Health Ed teacher to lecture him about the effects of drugs? It's clear that Cuz has a problem, and the only way for him to fix it is to take time away from the negative aspects of his life.

I heard the interview last night, but I think if Cous cleans up his act then he will be an Eagle again. I can't imagine the club turning their backs on him and if they do then i think its pretty low.

Just heard on Sky News, that John Worsfold knew that Cuz had a "substance abuse" (he didnt say what it was just said that) problem since July last year. He said he has no doubt that Cuz wll play football again, but he doubted very much that it would be with the Eagles.

Lets get this straight.

John Worsfold DIDN'T say that he knew Ben Cousins had a substance abuce in July last year in that press conference.

John Worsfold DIDN'T say that he doubted very much that Ben would play for the Eagles again.

I suggest that you check your source before you start posting.

I'd be interested in any response to this view on the whole Ben Cousins saga.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/03/22/2325_geelong_sports.html
I think that the article misses some of the point. Cousins was suspended for not turning up at training.As this action is most unprofessional (not to mention a breach of his contract) further investigation by the club has ensued and it appears to have been determined that Ben has "personal issues" of an unspecified nature. Action is being taken by the club to help him deal with those issues.

I'd be interested in any response to this view on the whole Ben Cousins saga.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2007/03/22/2325_geelong_sports.html

I tend to agree with the article. At no time has anyone accused Ben Cousins of taking anything that may have increased his performance levels. There's a puritanical group out there that believe that AFL players must be role models and that the taking of recreational drugs (even once) should preclude AFL players from being allowed to play football. The AFL stance is very different to ASDA and WADA, however I think the main brief of ASDA and WADA involves the detection of doping (ie performance enhancement).

Unfortunately there's also another group (mainly the press) that believe everything to do with an AFL player should be freely available to all. Unfortunately, the current AFL drugs policy doesn't allow any disclosure of positive tests until the third strike.

The AFL Players Association announcement of the Drugs policy two years ago can be found here http://www.aflpa.com.au/index.cfm?id=69D2B5E1-0F8B-6D91-BFAF89044BCACCA2

The key parts of the policy are as follows:

Under the Policy, testing can be conducted at times when the players are at training or at the course of their employment at the club, such as when they are required to report for medical testing / fitness tests during the holiday period.

This means that testing out of season during player trips etc does not occur The press have been insisting that Chad Fletcher release the toxicology results from what happended in Las Vegas last year. Chad Fletcher is quite within his rights to release nothing.

First Positive Test
Player enters treatment / education program co-ordinated by AFL Medical Officer. This result is confidential to those involved in the treatment and the education and welfare of the player.

It would appear that the Club is not informed of a first positive test.

Second Positive Test
Dealt with by the AFL Medical Officer with a view to further educating, counselling and treating the player. The AFL Medial Officer shall also inform the relevant AFL Club Doctor on a confidential basis, in the further education and treatment of the player. The Club Doctor is under strict ethical and contractual obligations to maintain confidentiality.

It would appear that only the Club Doctor is made aware of a second Positive Test (not the Club)

Third Positive Test
Player is deemed to have breached AFL Rule 1.6 - Conduct Unbecoming or Prejudicial to the Interests of the AFL - and will face the AFL Tribunal. If found guilty, the player can be suspended between 0 and 12 matches.

A Third Positive Test results in a tribunal visit and a 0 - 12 match suspension. I'm not aware of anyone who has tested positive 3 times. Why Cousins has been suspended indefinitely is beyond me, it seems to be contrary to anything in the Drugs Policy. I think this is why West Coast announced that Cousins' suspension was due to his failure to attend training.

Lets get this straight.

John Worsfold DIDN'T say that he knew Ben Cousins had a substance abuce in July last year in that press conference.

John Worsfold DIDN'T say that he doubted very much that Ben would play for the Eagles again.

I suggest that you check your source before you start posting.
This is a key point.

A lot of the media reports are paraphrasing Worsfold as saying something he didn't actually say.

For example, a report in the Australian led with the claim that Worsfold admitted we have a drug problem.

No quote was published to support this. Instead, Worsfold was quoted as say that he was confident we were drug free. Some admission!

Only pay attention to the direct quotes.

Actually I watched the interview with woosha on sky news, thats the reason I wanted a link, but i couldnt find one. He DID say he knew he had a substance abuse problem, those words came out of his mouth. I wouldnt come on here and write ****, I was surprised he said it, thats why I posted on here.
Second of all, I didnt say he would be leaving the eagles, I was basically asking the question, due to the fact of what woosha had said about it.
He said that he would be surprised if he came back to the eagles, no where there does it say he wasnt.

So you dont all have to get your backs up about this. I wish nothing but the best for Ben and I do hope he can get back to plaing whether it be at the Eagles or anywhere else.

And thirdly, what I meant by doing nothing, was if he knew in Julyy last year, why didnt he say something along the lines of you need to go to rehb etc... rather than keep playing him and fully well knowing it could have got worse by doing so. Im not saying that he needs to watch him over his players 24/7 but dont you think this is a bit different.

Pffft cousins is an eagle through and through.

i read John Worsfold say Cousins will be welcome back after he get all his problems sorted out he needs to go to a drug & Alcohole Relhibitation to over come his problems

any way Alcohol is a drug who would wanna loose anyone of a high profile as cousins he can be a great Player when he wants to be :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes i know that woosha would welcome him back, but he was the one who conceded that he may not play for the eagles again!! it is plastered everywhere on fox sports news, sky news etc... so i was not making it u for fun you know!!

He DID say he knew he had a substance abuse problem, those words came out of his mouth.
Mate - I listened to the whole thing live

The only quote he used was "personal problems" or "personal issues". Lots of the journos mentioned substances and drugs, but Woosh was very deliberate in what he was saying

This is a key point.

A lot of the media reports are paraphrasing Worsfold as saying something he didn't actually say.

For example, a report in the Australian led with the claim that Worsfold admitted we have a drug problem.

No quote was published to support this. Instead, Worsfold was quoted as say that he was confident we were drug free. Some admission!

Only pay attention to the direct quotes.

Exactly.

And even direct quotes can be misleading when taken out of context.

Mate - I listened to the whole thing live

The only quote he used was "personal problems" or "personal issues". Lots of the journos mentioned substances and drugs, but Woosh was very deliberate in what he was saying

Well funny that, he has a susbatance abuse problem... most likely meth ampthetamines or how ever the **** you spell it!!! As I said, I didnt writ it for nothing!!

Well funny that, he has a susbatance abuse problem... most likely meth ampthetamines or how ever the **** you spell it!!! As I said, I didnt writ it for nothing!!

I am not calling you a liar, but I have not heard Woosha use those words so far.

Also, I have heard Woosha say a lot that Cousins may never play again, but he always says that as long as Cousins sorts out his personal problems he will play again, it is just a matter of when. The dependant factor is when will the Eagles decide Cousins has effectively sorted out his personal problems.

I hope before finals time, I am resigned to next year, and I pray (although it is possible he may not) that he will play again. I know if he does play AFL football it will be for the Eagles.

Well done - you stated what we all knew. No one was denying it.

It's not important, but you were wrong, It was never specifically mentioned in the press conference you talked about. I know I'm being pedantic, but I'm sick of people making up there own versions of fact this week on BigFooty.

i wasnt making anything up, it was on the skynews report, maybe it was a snippet that wasnt shown on any of the free to air pieces. this is why i was trying to find a link.
but anyway, i wasnt trying to make it so i sounded right, i was saying it because i am genuinely interested in this story as i want ben to get back on the park.

as for ben playing again, i have no doubt he will, and i never said he wouldnt, what i said was even woosha said, he didnt know whether he would be playing for the eagles. i hope he can come back, but maybe he might need a change of scenary, it could do him well!! i mean obviously gardiner has relished in his move to melbourne and he said so as well. as much as ben and the club may not want it, it may be the best thing for him personally. i mean i am thinking of the best thing for ben here, not the eagles. so dont bite my head off over the post ok!!

i wasnt making anything up, it was on the skynews report, maybe it was a snippet that wasnt shown on any of the free to air pieces. this is why i was trying to find a link.
but anyway, i wasnt trying to make it so i sounded right, i was saying it because i am genuinely interested in this story as i want ben to get back on the park.

as for ben playing again, i have no doubt he will, and i never said he wouldnt, what i said was even woosha said, he didnt know whether he would be playing for the eagles. i hope he can come back, but maybe he might need a change of scenary, it could do him well!! i mean obviously gardiner has relished in his move to melbourne and he said so as well. as much as ben and the club may not want it, it may be the best thing for him personally. i mean i am thinking of the best thing for ben here, not the eagles. so dont bite my head off over the post ok!!

Oh the arrogance!

If the most professionally run sporting club in Australia can't sort out these problems, what hope do the poorly organised Victorian clubs have.

If this had to happen to a football player, I'm glad that it happened at the Eagles. We have the money, the facilities, the acumen plus the depth in a fantastic playing group to allow our players, even the stars, the time to sort out these kinds of issues and put their health first.

Something like this would possibly break clubs like North Melbourne, Melbourne, the Dogs or even St Kilda - in the very least I doubt they'd have the facilities or funds to enable the player the care they need.

Plus the Gardiner issue, well that still remains to be seen - but good luck to him!

Oh the arrogance!

If the most professionally run sporting club in Australia can't sort out these problems, what hope do the poorly organised Victorian clubs have.
You claim arrogance that didn't exist in the post you were referring to then you slag off poorly run Victorian clubs while holding yours up as a model of virtue?

Let me ask you this, which club has been all over the news for failing to deal with a drug problem for the last year to five years, depending on which report you read?

If this had to happen to a football player, I'm glad that it happened at the Eagles. We have the money, the facilities, the acumen plus the depth in a fantastic playing group to allow our players, even the stars, the time to sort out these kinds of issues and put their health first.
Because it takes money and facilities to ensure a player doesn't take drugs? Nothing to do with a club culture? Nothing to do with the club supporting them in an independently run rehabilitation centre?

Or does West Coast have its own drug rehab centre as part of the franchise? Is that why West Coast allow your players to run amok?

Something like this would possibly break clubs like North Melbourne, Melbourne, the Dogs or even St Kilda - in the very least I doubt they'd have the facilities or funds to enable the player the care they need.
What a load of unmitigated bollocks.

Plus the Gardiner issue, well that still remains to be seen - but good luck to him!
The point luvlica was making is that Gardiner was happy to escape a poisonous atmosphere in the relatively small town that is Perth. In Melbourne he can make a fresh start away from the bad influences that he couldn't escape in Perth.

Christ, some people should grow a brain before they post.

This means that testing out of season during player trips etc does not occur The press have been insisting that Chad Fletcher release the toxicology results from what happended in Las Vegas last year. Chad Fletcher is quite within his rights to release nothing.

If Fletcher has nothing to hide he should release the report and get everyone off his back. All he is doing by not releasing and changing his story from a reaction to a vaccine to alcohol to the Eagles saying they don't know is making the media and public think the worse.

First Positive Test
Player enters treatment / education program co-ordinated by AFL Medical Officer. This result is confidential to those involved in the treatment and the education and welfare of the player.

I think the clubs medical staff, coaching staff should know at the first positive test so they can help the player from the get go and possibly tell the leadership group if a second positive is returned. I don't think the public needs to know.

If Fletcher has nothing to hide he should release the report and get everyone off his back. All he is doing by not releasing and changing his story from a reaction to a vaccine to alcohol to the Eagles saying they don't know is making the media and public think the worse.

We all know that if he releases the report it would be cleared up.

But really why should he?? It's private and personal info, he shouldnt have to release that sort of info to the press.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not an Eagle anymore??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back