NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

The heavens opened up and it rained upsets right across the league.

• The streak is over! Balwyn lose to Vermont. Balwyn are still clear in front but its a huge result for Vermont and their top 5 chances.
  • All other Prem Div games went the way expected with South Croydon, East Ringwood, Blackburn and Rowville all having good wins
  • Wantirna South win!! Their first win of the year against Bayswater by 40 points. The win now leaves Doncaster in a vulnerable position as they are 1 win ahead but have a worse percentage. The also play each other this week at Schramms in a huge game.
  • Mooroolbark upset Beaconsfield meaning they drop from 2nd to 5th on the ladder. Mooroolbark are still 2 games and 50% out of the top 5 but could be nuisance team to play on the run home.
  • Mitcham continue to impress with a really important win against Montrose. Positions 2-4 are still anyone's to take.
  • Heathmont look to have found some form defeating Ringwood. The loss drops Ringwood to 6th spot.
  • Could the Div 2 5th spot have another late contender in Heathmont? Both Mulgrave and Ringwood have proven to be inconsistent and Heathmont are only 2 games out of the 5 as it stands and they have a better % than Mulgrave. They still would need everything to go right.
  • Donvale now the only undefeated senior team left in the league for season 2024.
  • Silvan do over FTG at home to jump off the bottom of the ladder. Its looming as a fantastic relegation battle in Div 3
  • Knox get their first big scalp of the season beating an injury ravaged Surrey Park by 4 points. I said a few weeks ago there was a perception that Surrey could be vulnerable when the grounds get wet and heavy. The next month will be interesting for all.
  • Fairpark win 2 on the trot defeating Oakleigh who are in a form slump. Oakleigh have a must win game against Silvan if they are any chance of making the finals while Fairpark could almost secure their Div 3 2025 spot if they defeat Warrandyte on Saturday.
  • Just when Scoresby look like the top seed, they drop to Chirnside Park who themselves shoot into 2nd spot on the ladder.

Last edited:

Interesting stories doing the rounds on this one.

For starters one of the umpires can’t even run - he walked around and didn’t leave one of the 50m arcs for the whole last quarter. If injured I totally understand, if not then he can’t be umpiring.

But the other umpire accused him of simply being lazy and leaving all the work to him. Hence the argument.

Also a suggestion that the stationary umpire has a connection to Ringwood and looked after them in the last quarter. I will say that one sounds like grapevine stuff and not really believable.
For a start one umpire looked like he was in his 20's and reasonably fit, the other umpire looked to be around 60-70, didn't look very fit and did indeed umpire from around the center of the ground. He only left that area if a thrown in or ball up was needed. Both umpires ended up doing the 2's and then the 1's. The older fellow was probably a little tired by the end end his second game, was conserving energy and if the ball was near the boundary and in dispute it was mostly frees with very few ball ups. That way he was able to remain near the center of the ground, a lot. He was umpiring and obviously doing 2 games in a row indicates how short the supply of umpires are, so it's hard to criticize. That said, for someone spending their weekends running around, you would expect him to be a lot thinner.

"Also a suggestion that the stationary umpire has a connection to Ringwood and looked after them in the last quarter". The connection is he's the Father of a player. It's all about Perceptions.

"Also a suggestion that the stationary umpire has a connection to Ringwood and looked after them in the last quarter". The connection is he's the Father of a player. It's all about Perceptions.
Honestly, I didn't see anything that suggested that. On the other hand you would expect that the League would/should be aware of that and he wouldn't be appointed to any games involving his son's club to avoid that sort of perception.

I’ll go early. Happy to make a fool of myself

Premier
Premiers: Doncaster East - when you buy half the AFL and VFL it has to happen eventually, doesn’t it?
Relegated: Berwick

D1
Premiers: South Belgrave - when you buy half the AFL and VFL it has to happen eventually, doesn’t it?
Relegated: Mooroolbark (tough, will be tight)

D2
Premiers: Boronia, walked it last year and even if others improve, won’t make up enough ground
Relegated: Lilydale

D3
Premiers: Donvale, Surrey Park might be up there too
Relegated: Warrandyte

D4
Premiers: Kilsyth
Spoon: CNMLOC

Don’t think I’ve really stuck my neck out anywhere, oh well

Halfway check

Doncaster East are a flaming plane wreck. The biggest underachievement of a season in a very long time.

Berwick… well it’s them or Norwood

SB sitting second but somehow don’t seem to have been that impressive? New coach I guess, might be getting better

Mooroolbark a shit call by me, they’re more than safe

Boronia look to be walking it but no prizes for tipping that

Lilydale haven’t been great but I think will be happy to have won a few games, great they’re arrested their slide. The Basin are gorn and look a shambles from the outside, sacking their coach 10 minutes into the season.

Donvale yes and Warrandtye a good call at the moment.

D4 hard to know atm, incredibly tight

Premier
Premiers: Doncaster East
Relegated: Berwick
Surprise: South Croydon back in finals

D1
Premiers: South Belgrave
Relegated: Park Orchards
Surprise: Relegated team will win 5 games

D2
Premiers: Boronia
Relegated: The Basin
Suprise: Waverley Blues to slide

D3
Premiers: Donvale easily wont lose a game
Relegated: Warrandyte 0-18
Surprise: FTG to miss finals

D4
Premiers: Kilsyth
Spoon: Forest Hill
PREM
Premiers: Doncaster East - :crossmark:
- got that wrong
Relegated: Berwick - :questionwhite:- its 50/50 with Norwood
Surprise: South Croydon back in finals - :whitecheck: - look likely to make it i think

D1
Premiers: South Belgrave -
:questionwhite:- Not as dominant but are 2nd on the ladder. They are a chance.
Relegated: Park Orchards - :crossmark:- Worst call of the year
Surprise: Relegated team will win 5 games - :crossmark: - no

D2
Premiers: Boronia - :whitecheck: -
Low hanging fruit
Relegated: The Basin - :whitecheck::lock:- That's happening
Surprise: Waverley Blues to slide - :crossmark: - They haven't

D3
Premiers: Donvale easily wont lose a game - :whitecheck: -
Looking the goods
Relegated: Warrandyte 0-18 - :whitecheck::crossmark: - On the bottom and might get relegated but have won 2 games already
Surprise: FTG to miss finals - :whitecheck::lock: - That's happening after their loss to Silvan on the weekend.

D4
Premiers: Kilsyth - :questionwhite:
- Not impossible but unlikely i think. Will still play finals so are in the mix at least.
Spoon: Forest Hill - :questionwhite:- This is a big chance. Currently only 2% off the bottom placed Nunawading.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Martien Pruysers, a goal umpire who umpired his 2,000th match last weekend at the Mitcham v Montrose game. That really is a remarkable feat.
Edit: I've since been told Martien started out as a field umpire, then became a boundary umpire and finally moved on to goal umpiring. What an amazing achievement.

Last edited:
For a start one umpire looked like he was in his 20's and reasonably fit, the other umpire looked to be around 60-70, didn't look very fit and did indeed umpire from around the center of the ground. He only left that area if a thrown in or ball up was needed. Both umpires ended up doing the 2's and then the 1's. The older fellow was probably a little tired by the end end his second game, was conserving energy and if the ball was near the boundary and in dispute it was mostly frees with very few ball ups. That way he was able to remain near the center of the ground, a lot. He was umpiring and obviously doing 2 games in a row indicates how short the supply of umpires are, so it's hard to criticize. That said, for someone spending their weekends running around, you would expect him to be a lot thinner.

Looking at the initial appointments, he wasn’t supposed to be doing both games but obviously someone has pulled out late and he’s been forced in to it.

If he wasn’t injured then he shouldn’t be umpiring full stop. You need a modicum of fitness.

You go and do 2 games back to back and see how fit you are!

Looking at the initial appointments, he wasn’t supposed to be doing both games but obviously someone has pulled out late and he’s been forced in to it.

You go and do 2 games back to back and see how fit you are!

A lot of umpires do two games back to back (not that they should have to).

Appreciate he was pulled in late but he’s in no shape whatever to be a field umpire. He can’t even run.

Not his fault, just another symptom of the umpiring crisis that the powers that be refuse to address.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some talk in the ammo thread that old yarra cobras may be looking at efl - surely would start Div 4.

They are a merged entity of yarra valley old boys and manningham cobras

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Never thought I would ever see EFL footy played on Leeds St oval. Similar size to Nunawading with just as much parking.

What is going on at Forest Hill? Could've lost by 200+ today had Kilsyth kicked straight.
Lack of juniors. So kids not coming through the grades. They lost 10 or so back to yea plus a couple more there.

When they appointed the last years Ressies coach to senior coach I think most thought they’d be in struggle town.
Clubs with the lack of juniors really need a coach to bring 5/6 1s players with him atleast just to cover what might go with the previous coach.

They play at bulleen reserve now .
Bulleen Reserve is just trees and a kids playground. I used to take my kids there. I'm pretty sure they are down near the Thompson Rd and Eastern Freeway intersection. Bulleen Cricket Club play there and it was a very long time ago that I played a game there.

Bulleen Reserve is just trees and a kids playground. I used to take my kids there. I'm pretty sure they are down near the Thompson Rd and Eastern Freeway intersection. Bulleen Cricket Club play there and it was a very long time ago that I played a game there.
Koonung Reserve, I think it's called. YJFL used to use it as a secondary ground to Bulleen Park

Plenty of season shaping results over the weekend as head into the business end of the year.

• Rowville huge winners against Vermont almost locking in a top 3 finish for them with a 2 game gap between 4th spot.
  • Balwyn lose again, stunned by second placed East Ringwood. Huge win for East Ringwood both mentally and for ladder positions.
  • Blackburn have an important win against South Croydon. Blackburn, South Croydon and Vermont just separated by percentage, all fighting for 4th and 5th spot. Vermont probably have the easiest draw of the 3 teams.

• Huge win for Doncaster against Wantirna South. A loss would have put them on the bottom, but the win gives them a 2 game break with 5 games to play. It should be enough to lock in a place in Div 1 for 2025 but another win to Wantirna South would leave them nervous again as they have the worst percentage.
  • Park Orchards have an important 8 point win against Montrose who looked to have kicked themselves out of the game scoring 10.22 to 13.12. Montrose drop to 4th with the loss.
  • South Belgrave have a solid win against Beaconsfield keeping them in 2nd spot but Mitcham are right on their tail in 3rd.

• Boronia annihilate East Burwood by 128 points. They are 3 games and over 100% ahead of their nearest rival. For East Burwood their draw does get a little easier towards the end but at the moment are under 1% off 2nd bottom spot.
  • Lilydale kick 10.2 defeating Heathmont who kicked 6.19, bad kicking is bad football they say. Good times for a club that hasn't had much success in the last few years.
  • Ringwood easily defeat Waverley Blues. Waverley looked a lock for 2nd spot a month ago but their form has been patchy of late. They have gone 1-3 from their last 4 games.

• Donvale have a big 8 goal win against Coldstream away. Their 30th consecutive win and they look on their way to back to back flags.
  • Knox demolish UFTG by 112 points putting a major dent in UFTG finals hopes. Two big weeks for Knox against other top 5 sides. They look to be hitting form at the right time of the year.
  • Fairpark win their 3rd game in a row defeating Warrandyte in what was a season defining clash for both clubs. A loss would have left Fairpark, Silvan and Warrandyte all on 3 wins trying to avoid relegation. They skip clear with a big win and in the process jump FTG on the ladder.
  • Surrey had a big win ending any hope FTG had of playing finals. Was an important win for Surrey after a couple of losses and they jump back into 2nd spot.

• Chirnside Park have a close 13 point win against an improving CNMLOC and jump to the top of the ladder in the process. This is the first time they have been on top all year.
  • Forest Hill lose by 139 points against Kilsyth and drop to the bottom of the Div 4 ladder. They didnt score a goal for the game and only scored 0.1 point in the last 3 quarters. Amazingly it could have been much worse seeing Kilsyth kicked 19.29.
  • Whitehose almost kicked themselves out of a win against Nunawading, they were down by 2 points at 3/4 time 5.18.48 - 8.2.50. Their last quarter was much better kicking 7.7 and running out 45 point winners 12.25 - 8.4

Plenty of season shaping results over the weekend as head into the business end of the year.

• Rowville huge winners against Vermont almost locking in a top 3 finish for them with a 2 game gap between 4th spot.
  • Balwyn lose again, stunned by second placed East Ringwood. Huge win for East Ringwood both mentally and for ladder positions.
  • Blackburn have an important win against South Croydon. Blackburn, South Croydon and Vermont just separated by percentage, all fighting for 4th and 5th spot. Vermont probably have the easiest draw of the 3 teams.

• Huge win for Doncaster against Wantirna South. A loss would have put them on the bottom, but the win gives them a 2 game break with 5 games to play. It should be enough to lock in a place in Div 1 for 2025 but another win to Wantirna South would leave them nervous again as they have the worst percentage.
  • Park Orchards have an important 8 point win against Montrose who looked to have kicked themselves out of the game scoring 10.22 to 13.12. Montrose drop to 4th with the loss.
  • South Belgrave have a solid win against Beaconsfield keeping them in 2nd spot but Mitcham are right on their tail in 3rd.

• Boronia annihilate East Burwood by 128 points. They are 3 games and over 100% ahead of their nearest rival. For East Burwood their draw does get a little easier towards the end but at the moment are under 1% off 2nd bottom spot.
  • Lilydale kick 10.2 defeating Heathmont who kicked 6.19, bad kicking is bad football they say. Good times for a club that hasn't had much success in the last few years.
  • Ringwood easily defeat Waverley Blues. Waverley looked a lock for 2nd spot a month ago but their form has been patchy of late. They have gone 1-3 from their last 4 games.

• Donvale have a big 8 goal win against Coldstream away. Their 30th consecutive win and they look on their way to back to back flags.
  • Knox demolish UFTG by 112 points putting a major dent in UFTG finals hopes. Two big weeks for Knox against other top 5 sides. They look to be hitting form at the right time of the year.
  • Fairpark win their 3rd game in a row defeating Warrandyte in what was a season defining clash for both clubs. A loss would have left Fairpark, Silvan and Warrandyte all on 3 wins trying to avoid relegation. They skip clear with a big win and in the process jump FTG on the ladder.
  • Surrey had a big win ending any hope FTG had of playing finals. Was an important win for Surrey after a couple of losses and they jump back into 2nd spot.

• Chirnside Park have a close 13 point win against an improving CNMLOC and jump to the top of the ladder in the process. This is the first time they have been on top all year.
  • Forest Hill lose by 139 points against Kilsyth and drop to the bottom of the Div 4 ladder. They didnt score a goal for the game and only scored 0.1 point in the last 3 quarters. Amazingly it could have been much worse seeing Kilsyth kicked 19.29.
  • Whitehose almost kicked themselves out of a win against Nunawading, they were down by 2 points at 3/4 time 5.18.48 - 8.2.50. Their last quarter was much better kicking 7.7 and running out 45 point winners 12.25 - 8.4
Good summary again I thought Surrey looked pretty solid on the weekend Coach played limited minutes and I believe they expect a couple more back sooner rather than later. See them as the next best after Donvale 😊

Good summary again I thought Surrey looked pretty solid on the weekend Coach played limited minutes and I believe they expect a couple more back sooner rather than later. See them as the next best after Donvale 😊

Thought you might have been a smokey on the weekend but Surrey much too strong.

What Surrey do have better than anyone, including Donvale is a great batch of under 19s to call on if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back