NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

First weekend of winter football didn't disappoint.

• East Ringwood big statement win against reigning premiers Rowville. The real deal.
  • Donny East put a fork in them. 3 games and 50% off 5th spot, season done.
  • Unless Noble Park can pull off a shock win against Balwyn on Saturday, we might be already down to 6 teams contesting for the top 5 in Prem Div.
  • Mitcham stun the previously unbeaten Park Orchards recording a 11 goal victory. They have now won 5 in a row with an average winning margin of 67 points
  • Bayswater after such a promising start to the year slump to their 5th successive loss ending their finals chances.
  • The Div1 top 5 looks set with only Mooroolbark a slim chance of breaking in from 6th spot.
  • Templestowe defeat Mulgrave in a classic 8 point game to leapfrog them into 5th spot
  • The top 3 look solid with Ringwood, Templestowe, Mulgrave and maybe East Burwood fighting out the battle for 4th and 5th spot.
  • Any sugar hit from the coaching change at The Basin hasn't eventuated. They will be in Div 3 next year.
  • Donvale win their 26th consecutive game recording a 20 point result over Fairpark, who again are playing nothing like a side getting relegated, but are on the bottom of the ladder at the turn.
  • FTG get a win against Oakleigh and give themselves some relegation breathing space for now. New recruit Jordyn Flannery brother of captain Jack Flannery has impressed in his 2 games so far kicking 3 goals in each.
  • Silvan find some form and almost upset Coldstream falling short by 4 points in a bit of a rivalry game. A big improvement on what has been a disappointing 3 weeks for them.
  • Div 3 looks to be one division where a top 5 is going reward a team that probably isn't deserving of finals. The 5th spot is up for grabs but whoever fall into it, looks a fair bit off the top 4 currently.
  • Nunawading defeat Forest Hill after a really disappointing game against CNMLOC last week, to jump off bottom spot. I don't think they would have beaten Forest Hill in over a decade at least.
  • Kilsyth record an impressive win against Whitehorse ending their 5 game winning streak.

• East Ringwood big statement win against reigning premiers Rowville. The real deal.
  • Unless Noble Park can pull off a shock win against Balwyn on Saturday, we might be already down to 6 teams contesting for the top 5 in Prem Div.
  • Mitcham stun the previously unbeaten Park Orchards recording a 11 goal victory. They have now won 5 in a row with an average winning margin of 67 points
  • Bayswater after such a promising start to the year slump to their 5th successive loss ending their finals chances.
  • The Div1 top 5 looks set with only Mooroolbark a slim chance of breaking in from 6th spot.
  • Templestowe defeat Mulgrave in a classic 8 point game to leapfrog them into 5th spot
  • The top 3 look solid with Ringwood, Templestowe, Mulgrave and maybe East Burwood fighting out the battle for 4th and 5th spot.
  • Any sugar hit from the coaching change at The Basin hasn't eventuated. They will be in Div 3 next year.
  • Donvale win their 26th consecutive game recording a 20 point result over Fairpark, who again are playing nothing like a side getting relegated, but are on the bottom of the ladder at the turn.
  • FTG get a win against Oakleigh and give themselves some relegation breathing space for now. New recruit Jordyn Flannery brother of captain Jack Flannery has impressed in his 2 games so far kicking 3 goals in each.
  • Silvan find some form and almost upset Coldstream falling short by 4 points in a bit of a rivalry game. A big improvement on what has been a disappointing 3 weeks for them.
  • Div 3 looks to be one division where a top 5 is going reward a team that probably isn't deserving of finals. The 5th spot is up for grabs but whoever fall into it, looks a fair bit off the top 4 currently.
  • Nunawading defeat Forest Hill after a really disappointing game against CNMLOC last week, to jump off bottom spot. I don't think they would have beaten Forest Hill in over a decade at least.
  • Kilsyth record an impressive win against Whitehorse ending their 5 game winning streak.
Once again a very good summary, the EFNL should post that on their Website. Surely there's a job for you on the Podcast with Spider?

Great Summation. Watched the 1st half of Rowville and East Ringwood. ER seriously impressive, they would Love to have Lowson fulltime, different gravy, he was outstanding. Both Bennell's have been huge pick ups aswell
Also watched some of the 2nd half of Donvale vs Fairpark, Left when Donvale was 6 goals up so well done to Fairpark for Fighting it out. The ground wasnt in great nick with lots of people slipping all the time. 29 and 5 for Donvale i think was Giles and Rausa were everywhere, Giles has some serious speed in that midfield and kicked a great goal. Cant see anyone other than Surrey giving them a go for their money

Also watched some of the 2nd half of Donvale vs Fairpark, Left when Donvale was 6 goals up so well done to Fairpark for Fighting it out. The ground wasnt in great nick with lots of people slipping all the time.

Had they had any rain? We had a couple of showers thru the day up the hills.

Funny because i was watching some of the match footage from that game today and i was thinking how good the ground looked? I looks lush and green i couldn't see a bad patch on it? Traditionally it usually holds up pretty well.

Not many shock results this week, but we're also not seeing the big margins of the first few rounds. Depth being tested at plenty of clubs, between illness, injury and travel

I always think percentage is a very useful indicator (as opposed to just a tiebreaker) and it’s interesting in all five divisions how there’s now a clear break in percentage between the contenders and the also-rans.

There is a single outlier across all divisions which is Noble Park, they may be better than the ladder says… 109% would indicate that.

Everybody else, you would say they are where they deserve to be and the ladder is a fair indicator.

Division 1 looks an interesting fight between the top 5.

In Division 2 nobody is anywhere near Boronia, I would say they can only really beat themselves and it comes down to them having an off day in a sudden death final (which can happen, of course).

Now lets talk about the real stuff BHRDCA cricket.Plenty of rumours around that Heatherdale,Vermont and even Blackiurn (Hansie) might be moving on and joining the RDCA.Sad to see cricket wise East Burwood,Blackburn North,East Box Hill and even Forest Hill struggling to field senior sides in the top grades and again no juniors is the main problem.

Good sources you had.

Heatherdale and Vermont now playing in the RDCA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No footy for my club yesterday so I headed into the countryside and ended up at Longwarry who were hosting Nyora. Reserves game officiated by an umpire from each club and both did a pretty good job with no disputes directed at them. Both teams a bit on the older side as they obviously struggle for numbers. Interested in the main game as a couple of former EFL players from earlier this season have turned up at Nyora. One is listed on PlayHQ as a private player but club Facebook site has the player named. Both games dominated by Longwarry who gave a couple of good players. Good day out in the countryside 😊

Good sources you had.

Heatherdale and Vermont now playing in the RDCA.
Any idea of what is behind the switch. I know that last time they left it was after a hissy fit because they were penalised with loss of points for the following season after they refused to play the second day of the GF because they lost on the first day.

Any idea of what is behind the switch. I know that last time they left it was after a hissy fit because they were penalised with loss of points for the following season after they refused to play the second day of the GF because they lost on the first day.

Not sure but I noticed they were forced to turn up and play out day 2 of last seasons grand final. Comical stuff really in this day and age. The RDCA have had a few grand finals finish on day 1 since the year 2000 so maybe they wanted to go to the comp where you are allowed to call it quits on the first day!

Heatherdale closer to Ringwood so that kind of makes more sense. I think the RDCA currently has a pretty good reputation around the whole of Melbourne for being a very well run association.

I always thought it’s up to the losing side to concede. Day 1 or day 2. They can play for aslittle or aslong as they want. Very rare to see a reverse outright in any game never mind in a gf.

The junior comps are combined.

Not sure if cricket Victoria will step in like footy Victoria did with Heidelberg about 20 years ago.

Vermont and heatherdale starting in the second tier making it an uneven 10 team comp with 1up1down this year and 3down1up after the 2025/26 season.

Vermont put out a post looking for a cricket coach 2 days after gaining entry.

Good move by Narre. If Berwick and Beacy leave Eastern then nearly all the old sefnl clubs Narre Beacy Doveton Cranbourne Hampton Park Berwick will be back together in the 1 league. Southern and particularly Div 1 is getting stronger every year. I’m sure nearly all eastern clubs will be happy if this happens.

Good move by Narre. If Berwick and Beacy leave Eastern then nearly all the old sefnl clubs Narre Beacy Doveton Cranbourne Hampton Park Berwick will be back together in the 1 league. Southern and particularly Div 1 is getting stronger every year. I’m sure nearly all eastern clubs will be happy if this happens.
So EFNL down to 45 clubs if this happens.Would it be 10,10,10,8 and 7.

Narre confirm they want to enter the Southern league in 2025.

I think this will lead to Berwick weighing up their options. The EFNL has been a disaster for them.
Disaster is an understatement for Berwick. Struggling for players with many leaving the club for a variety of reasons and a split with the netball club which didn’t help. When the club joined the league they thought they were going to be a dominant force in premier division. How far off the mark they were.

I have heard they are already looking at leaving and joining Southern along with old foes such as Cranbourne and Doveton. Having Narre Warren also move across is an attractive proposition.

If AFL Victoria did their job at the time this mess could have been avoided which included ruining an excellent league in the Yarra Valley Mountain District.

Would Oakleigh District consider going back to Southern. They are more suited to that league. They have no local rivals at all in Eastern.

They are better suited to the SFNL however I believe there were issues around juniors. They wanted to establish juniors but they could not enter the SMJFL because Oakleigh Dragons objected to a new club being so close. Their only option for juniors was the EFNL and I think part of that deal was bringing across the seniors. I doubt they’d move the seniors out of the EFNL and try to keep the juniors in.

Along similar lines, there was a push a couple of years ago for Berwick and Beaconsfield to bring their juniors across from SEJ to the EFNL (after the senior clubs made the switch), as well as - perhaps a little randomly - Narre North Foxes. SEJ opposed the move and it was blocked for at least 12 months.

Interesting only Beaconsfield tried again for 2024 and have come over. Berwick and Narre North have now stayed put in SEJ. So Berwick juniors have not followed the seniors to the EFNL.

As for Narre North, got no doubt the EFNL’s plan was to bring them over and then within a few years establish a new Div 4 senior club at Narre North.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back