NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the debacle? I thought it was happening?

I’m sure DavefromBoronia can provide more information but the club has had funding for a number of years to have the project underway but Council’s incompetency has stalled it and it now won’t be underway until 2025.

The project could have been completed by now if Knox Council got their house in order.

The issues at Kings Park are another good example of the ineptness of this organisation.

Very interesting weekend of football. Plenty of season defining wins or losses.

• Vermont have a big important win against top 5 challenger South Croydon and jump to 4th on the ladder. For South Croydon the loss sees them drop to 6th spot with 3 games left. South Croydon have Balwyn next week in a game they probably have to win to make finals now.
  • Blackburn knock off Rowville in a little bit of an upset. Blackburn jump to 5th while Rowville's hold on 3rd and the double chance has weakened. Blackburn's next 2 games are against teams out of finals contention and a great chance to solidify a spot in the top 5 for them.
  • In Div 1 the top 5 defeated the bottom 5 with large margins except for the Montrose win where they had to hold off a fast finishing Mooroolbark to win by only 8 points.
  • The Div 1 top 5 is now settled with 2 rounds to go. Even positional changes within the top 5 are unlikely. Park Orchards has already locked up top spot, 2nd and 3rd may switch and 4th and 5th may switch also.
  • In Div 2 Mulgrave defeat Croydon and keep their double chance hopes alive with 2 games to go. Croydon, Waverley and Mulgrave are all on 40 points and are fighting for positions 2nd and 3rd on the ladder with Croydon and Waverley facing off next week.
  • East Burwood upset Templestowe by 2 points. The loss drops Templestowe to 6th spot and face an uphill battle to play finals now.
  • Boronia just hold on against Heathmont by 2 points. Heathmont actually hit the front late in the last quarter and also had a shot for goal on the siren to win the game but missed. Its an interesting result but its hard to read into it when Boronia are 5 games clear on top. A serious looking leg injury to Jarrod Lake late in the game might be some concern to Boronia however.
  • In Div 3 Fairpark upset Coldstream by 27 points at Fairpark, the loss means Coldstream will definitely finish 4th with no chance of Knox losing to Warrandyte next week. However losing to FTG and Fairpark in consecutive weeks isn't great form for Coldstream heading into finals. Desperately need some key players to return.
  • Another interesting result where Donvale only defeated Silvan by 13 points in a shoot out at Silvan 126 -113. Its the first time anyone all season has scored more than 100 points against Donvale.
  • Amazingly 4 teams, Oakleigh, UFTG, FTG and Fairpark can still all finish 5th and play finals. Oakleigh are the only team that controls their own destiny, if they defeat FTG, they are in. If they lose they could still make it as long as the margin is 5 goals or less AND Fairpark and UFTG both lose, which is likely as they play Donvale and Surrey Park. If FTG win by 6 goal they will most likely overtake Oakleighs percentage as long as it not a high scoring game. If Oakleigh lose and either Fairpark or UFTG win then they would jump to 5th.
  • Scoresby demolish Whitehorse by 85 points ending any chance for Whitehorse to finish top 2. Looks a 2 horse race now between Scoresby and Chirnside Park for the cup.
  • Kilsyth just get over CNMLOC by 10 points. Although a lock to be playing finals its hard to see Kilsyth getting near the top 2.

I’m sure DavefromBoronia can provide more information but the club has had funding for a number of years to have the project underway but Council’s incompetency has stalled it and it now won’t be underway until 2025.

The project could have been completed by now if Knox Council got their house in order.

The issues at Kings Park are another good example of the ineptness of this organisation.

All is on track. Demolition of the existing pavilion is due to commence soon after the completion of the Division 1 finals series at Tormore Reserve. The construction work has been put to tender and is expected to commence in early October 2024. The club presented the detailed plans for the new rooms to members at the most recent lunch and has no issue at all with the timing, which is progressing to the planned timeline. The only real delay was due to the change of federal government, where all major infrastructure projects from the outgoing government were subject to assessment by the incoming government. Many projects were scrapped, but the Tormore project was approved. The club is working closely with council and we are well advanced with the plans for our relocation during the 2025 season. It is a big project and is being well managed by all concerned with strong support from three levels of government.

Last edited:
Very interesting weekend of football. Plenty of season defining wins or losses.

• Vermont have a big important win against top 5 challenger South Croydon and jump to 4th on the ladder. For South Croydon the loss sees them drop to 6th spot with 3 games left. South Croydon have Balwyn next week in a game they probably have to win to make finals now.
  • Blackburn knock off Rowville in a little bit of an upset. Blackburn jump to 5th while Rowville's hold on 3rd and the double chance has weakened. Blackburn's next 2 games are against teams out of finals contention and a great chance to solidify a spot in the top 5 for them.
  • In Div 1 the top 5 defeated the bottom 5 with large margins except for the Montrose win where they had to hold off a fast finishing Mooroolbark to win by only 8 points.
  • The Div 1 top 5 is now settled with 2 rounds to go. Even positional changes within the top 5 are unlikely. Park Orchards has already locked up top spot, 2nd and 3rd may switch and 4th and 5th may switch also.
  • In Div 2 Mulgrave defeat Croydon and keep their double chance hopes alive with 2 games to go. Croydon, Waverley and Mulgrave are all on 40 points and are fighting for positions 2nd and 3rd on the ladder with Croydon and Waverley facing off next week.
  • East Burwood upset Templestowe by 2 points. The loss drops Templestowe to 6th spot and face an uphill battle to play finals now.
  • Boronia just hold on against Heathmont by 2 points. Heathmont actually hit the front late in the last quarter and also had a shot for goal on the siren to win the game but missed. Its an interesting result but its hard to read into it when Boronia are 5 games clear on top. A serious looking leg injury to Jarrod Lake late in the game might be some concern to Boronia however.
  • In Div 3 Fairpark upset Coldstream by 27 points at Fairpark, the loss means Coldstream will definitely finish 4th with no chance of Knox losing to Warrandyte next week. However losing to FTG and Fairpark in consecutive weeks isn't great form for Coldstream heading into finals. Desperately need some key players to return.
  • Another interesting result where Donvale only defeated Silvan by 13 points in a shoot out at Silvan 126 -113. Its the first time anyone all season has scored more than 100 points against Donvale.
  • Amazingly 4 teams, Oakleigh, UFTG, FTG and Fairpark can still all finish 5th and play finals. Oakleigh are the only team that controls their own destiny, if they defeat FTG, they are in. If they lose they could still make it as long as the margin is 5 goals or less AND Fairpark and UFTG both lose, which is likely as they play Donvale and Surrey Park. If FTG win by 6 goal they will most likely overtake Oakleighs percentage as long as it not a high scoring game. If Oakleigh lose and either Fairpark or UFTG win then they would jump to 5th.
  • Scoresby demolish Whitehorse by 85 points ending any chance for Whitehorse to finish top 2. Looks a 2 horse race now between Scoresby and Chirnside Park for the cup.
  • Kilsyth just get over CNMLOC by 10 points. Although a lock to be playing finals its hard to see Kilsyth getting near the top 2.
Always enjoy reading your Sunday review.

A few of my takes.

Norwoods twos would have just about the worst % in the state. Unbelievable. Credit to the guys turning up each week, but its not sustainable at all to go through that. They need a messiah to pull them out of the mess, and if berwick leave to go to southern it could be another year of pain.

Surrey parks turnaround from a winless 4ish years to where they are now is a huge credit, Knocked off the vermont/blackburn vultures after their juniors and now reaping the rewards. Good on them, would love to see them climb again.

Warrandyte got a absolute beating saturday, worst i've seen for a while. I dunno if its the coach or committee, but players have got out of there fast. Played finals not that long ago. With u19s and a decent junior program they will be okay, good chance to reload down in D4.

I peer down there and croydon north has overtaken nunawading, who yet again occupy last spot in both the ones and twos.

That ground of theirs is just no good, one deep kick out of the middle just puts your back six under huge pressure, can't hide anywhere, once there is a run on its goals galore. not sure how they improve.

Forest hill also look in strife, junior club sadly shutting its doors, new people moving to the area DGAF about football, and its only going to get worse.

A few of my takes.

Norwoods twos would have just about the worst % in the state. Unbelievable. Credit to the guys turning up each week, but its not sustainable at all to go through that. They need a messiah to pull them out of the mess, and if berwick leave to go to southern it could be another year of pain.

Surrey parks turnaround from a winless 4ish years to where they are now is a huge credit, Knocked off the vermont/blackburn vultures after their juniors and now reaping the rewards. Good on them, would love to see them climb again.

Warrandyte got a absolute beating saturday, worst i've seen for a while. I dunno if its the coach or committee, but players have got out of there fast. Played finals not that long ago. With u19s and a decent junior program they will be okay, good chance to reload down in D4.

I peer down there and croydon north has overtaken nunawading, who yet again occupy last spot in both the ones and twos.

That ground of theirs is just no good, one deep kick out of the middle just puts your back six under huge pressure, can't hide anywhere, once there is a run on its goals galore. not sure how they improve.

Forest hill also look in strife, junior club sadly shutting its doors, new people moving to the area DGAF about football, and its only going to get worse.
Would Forest Hill and Nunawading consider a merger?

A few of my takes.

Norwood are in a world of hurt. They are one of very few clubs who published financials, and it showed they have well over $200k in debt, including $165k in long-term loans. I can only imagine that money is owed to benefactors (nobody else is lending money to a local footy club) and you’d expect at least the vast majority of it will simply have to be forgiven because they’re not going to get it back.

Seperate to that the Sporting Club also has debts of $145k.

Unfortunately you can only surmise that they have been living beyond their means for some time. Plenty of players and coaches taking money out of the club, they’ve left now and the only thing remaining is debt. I mean it shows they spent $175k in salaries (players, coaches, trainers) in 2023.

When all is said and done, you have to live within your means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Norwood's financials. Having no income stream versus competing with clubs that have an income stream eventually catches up with you. Promotion is a double-edged sword, it's great to go up but the costs involved also increase. Throw in you may have a large group of benefactors but they get bored with throwing money away and in many cases pass away. Sometimes their financial situation changes (Getting divorced for example). I know some people will say there's a salary cap (we've had multiple discussions) but it's not a cap as it has so many loopholes. I have always had the firm belief that a club needs to weigh up whether going up a Division (Especially to Premier) is sustainable.

Re Norwood's financials. Having no income stream versus competing with clubs that have an income stream eventually catches up with you. Promotion is a double-edged sword, it's great to go up but the costs involved also increase. Throw in you may have a large group of benefactors but they get bored with throwing money away and in many cases pass away. Sometimes their financial situation changes (Getting divorced for example). I know some people will say there's a salary cap (we've had multiple discussions) but it's not a cap as it has so many loopholes. I have always had the firm belief that a club needs to weigh up whether going up a Division (Especially to Premier) is sustainable.

Promotion and relegation are outcomes, the real test is having the balls to stick to your strategy (play locals, live within your financial means) despite the results. Anybody with access to a bit of money can go out and pay some random mercenary, but he’s obviously going to leave as quick as he came.

Promotion and relegation are outcomes, the real test is having the balls to stick to your strategy (play locals, live within your financial means) despite the results. Anybody with access to a bit of money can go out and pay some random mercenary, but he’s obviously going to leave as quick as he came.
I agree but alas Ego's of many come in to play.

I agree but alas Ego's of many come in to play.

No doubt. I think people often believe they’re going the best thing by the club… ie we have to stay in Premier or we’ll lose players, supporters etc… which might be true… but at some stage you have to realise that if they only way to do that is through players who aren’t invested and spending money you don’t have, then it’s only going to end in tears.

The path is now pretty clear, you have to build from within, and that means your juniors and Under 19s. It’s hard, takes time and the work of a lot of people.

No doubt. I think people often believe they’re going the best thing by the club… ie we have to stay in Premier or we’ll lose players, supporters etc… which might be true… but at some stage you have to realise that if they only way to do that is through players who aren’t invested and spending money you don’t have, then it’s only going to end in tears.

The path is now pretty clear, you have to build from within, and that means your juniors and Under 19s. It’s hard, takes time and the work of a lot of people.
The path is clear but history will continue to repeat and has done so for a long time.

ON THE MOVE?

Rumour has it the Eastern league could soon be welcoming a new club. A longstanding VAFA outfit is touted to be on its way into Eastern’s Division 4 from 2025, which currently sits at seven teams. The addition of another club would even the competition to eight sides, removing the weekly bye.

Canterbury
Box Hill North
Chadstone
Wattle Park
Aquinas
Eley Park
Whitefriars
St Mary’s Salesian
Hawthorn Citizens
Wattle Park
Bulleen Templestowe
Old Yarra Collegians

?

All in the 4th - 6th tiers of the VAFA and kinda in the area.

My guess is either Bulleen Templestowe or Old Yarra Collegians (who have links to Bulleen United, who started back in the 1970s).

Box Hill North also mentioned once or two but they are "20 years less" longstanding than the other two.

I have heard murmurs that all three have a level of interest in joining. Bulleen-Templestowe have been considered to be in the "likely to move" category for more than 12 months now.

ON THE MOVE?

Rumour has it the Eastern league could soon be welcoming a new club. A longstanding VAFA outfit is touted to be on its way into Eastern’s Division 4 from 2025, which currently sits at seven teams. The addition of another club would even the competition to eight sides, removing the weekly bye.

Canterbury
Box Hill North
Chadstone
Wattle Park
Aquinas
Eley Park
Whitefriars
St Mary’s Salesian
Hawthorn Citizens
Wattle Park
Bulleen Templestowe
Old Yarra Collegians

?

Old Yarra Cobras have been discussed on here recently as looking to move.

My guess is either Bulleen Templestowe or Old Yarra Collegians (who have links to Bulleen United, who started back in the 1970s).

Box Hill North also mentioned once or two but they are "20 years less" longstanding than the other two.

I have heard murmurs that all three have a level of interest in joining. Bulleen-Templestowe have been considered to be in the "likely to move" category for more than 12 months now.

Pretty big junior club too. They’re in the YJFL.

ON THE MOVE?

Canterbury
Box Hill North
Chadstone
Wattle Park
Aquinas
Eley Park
Whitefriars
St Mary’s Salesian
Hawthorn Citizens
Wattle Park
Bulleen Templestowe
Old Yarra Collegians

?

Old Yarra Cobras have been discussed on here recently as looking to move.

You heard it here first, Old Yarra Cobras won't be moving. Sorted their house out with the merge, have 3 men's and 3 women's teams and the beginnings of a stronger school relationship, have 0 plans to move somewhere where money dictates how good you are.

Bulleen templestowe have been rubbish for years, their reserves constantly bottom of the ladder getting belted, and their seniors bottom half of the table, saved from relegation by covid and league restructuring. Always have u19s (and a strong junior club) that they obviously cant convince to hang around.

Box hill north have been around the bottom in VAFA's bottom division for as long as I can remember, but played finals last year and have 3 teams and a women's up. Maybe they want to give it a crack. Canterbury tried and failed, not sure if the others would take the risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back