NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

ON THE MOVE?

Rumour has it the Eastern league could soon be welcoming a new club. A longstanding VAFA outfit is touted to be on its way into Eastern’s Division 4 from 2025, which currently sits at seven teams. The addition of another club would even the competition to eight sides, removing the weekly bye.

Canterbury
Box Hill North
Chadstone
Wattle Park
Aquinas
Eley Park
Whitefriars
St Mary’s Salesian
Hawthorn Citizens
Wattle Park
Bulleen Templestowe
Old Yarra Collegians

?

All in the 4th - 6th tiers of the VAFA and kinda in the area.

100% not Canterbury

Norwood are in a world of hurt. They are one of very few clubs who published financials, and it showed they have well over $200k in debt, including $165k in long-term loans. I can only imagine that money is owed to benefactors (nobody else is lending money to a local footy club) and you’d expect at least the vast majority of it will simply have to be forgiven because they’re not going to get it back.

Seperate to that the Sporting Club also has debts of $145k.

Unfortunately you can only surmise that they have been living beyond their means for some time. Plenty of players and coaches taking money out of the club, they’ve left now and the only thing remaining is debt. I mean it shows they spent $175k in salaries (players, coaches, trainers) in 2023.

When all is said and done, you have to live within your means.
Not to mention that the debt number actually went UP in that year! Did have to chuckle when the President's report said they are making "in-roads to our longer-term balance sheet debt" despite it blowing out by nearly $40k!

**This isn't a commentary on how the committee has performed, merely on how they have tried to be positive about the result.

Sadly, I think many clubs would be in a similar boat, both in town and in the country. Good on Norwood for having the courage to make that information public, there would be Presidents and Treasurers around the state looking at those numbers and thinking "Oh s*** that's much better than us".

ON THE MOVE?

Rumour has it the Eastern league could soon be welcoming a new club. A longstanding VAFA outfit is touted to be on its way into Eastern’s Division 4 from 2025, which currently sits at seven teams. The addition of another club would even the competition to eight sides, removing the weekly bye.

Canterbury
Box Hill North
Chadstone
Wattle Park
Aquinas
Eley Park
Whitefriars
St Mary’s Salesian
Hawthorn Citizens
Wattle Park
Bulleen Templestowe
Old Yarra Collegians

?

All in the 4th - 6th tiers of the VAFA and kinda in the area.
You can put a line through Canterbury... They are flourishing in the VAFA after their ill-fated EFNL experiment when they left the SFNL.

Not to mention that the debt number actually went UP in that year! Did have to chuckle when the President's report said they are making "in-roads to our longer-term balance sheet debt" despite it blowing out by nearly $40k!

**This isn't a commentary on how the committee has performed, merely on how they have tried to be positive about the result.

Sadly, I think many clubs would be in a similar boat, both in town and in the country. Good on Norwood for having the courage to make that information public, there would be Presidents and Treasurers around the state looking at those numbers and thinking "Oh s*** that's much better than us".

I can’t imagine the “debt” is owed to anybody except club benefactors, and surely they know they’re not getting it back. You’re never getting $200k out of a local footy club, the money is gone. They have $25k in the bank.

It also specifically states the loans are unsecured.

So it’s strange it’s not just written off. Perhaps they’re hoping somebody else will come in and assume the debt…. Which is also not going to happen.

I can’t imagine the “debt” is owed to anybody except club benefactors, and surely they know they’re not getting it back. You’re never getting $200k out of a local footy club, the money is gone. They have $25k in the bank.

It also specifically states the loans are unsecured.

So it’s strange it’s not just written off. Perhaps they’re hoping somebody else will come in and assume the debt…. Which is also not going to happen.
Agree about how the debt should be treated, I just found the associated commentary amusing, given it seemed to be at odds with what was actually happening.

Tough times ahead based on what is contained there, perhaps a salient lesson about living within your means.

Can’t understand why anyone would be a benefactor to a local sporting club, especially those sort of amounts.

Most people are benefactors to some degree. Buying raffle tickets, events, different things to chip in.

If you’re passionate about the club and you’re worth millions upon millions, you might not mind parting with $100k.

AFL clubs raise millions through supporters and some people are just as / more passionate about their local club.

Personally if I was putting in big money I’d want it spent on something with some longer term benefits to the joint, not just see it go straight to players and coaches who’ll be gone in a few years.

Its Bullen Temp can confirm 100%.

Whatever they've been doing hasn't worked. Can't keep juniors, lose most of the u19s each year, two's just about play short every week. Could be a move to freshen things up. Once again it's all about getting a established pathway.

It's Eley Park, why would you want them

They are also in a world of hurt on field. After 2021: Nearly folded, a former player coup took over the club, struggled for numbers and couldn't field a reserves side for nearly the whole of 2022, 2023 got numbers in but were routinely belted. The two bottom divisions were merged this year and they have managed to win a couple but have copped several 200+ hidings, and beaten by 80 by second last chadstone on the weekend.

Their magoos havent won since 2021. Looking through their team list they have guys who havent played since juniors, and several older guys, not a lot in-between. I really don't think moving to a better league would help unless someone can go on a mass recruiting spree

Whatever they've been doing hasn't worked. Can't keep juniors, lose most of the u19s each year, two's just about play short every week. Could be a move to freshen things up. Once again it's all about getting a established pathway.

They are also in a world of hurt on field. After 2021: Nearly folded, a former player coup took over the club, struggled for numbers and couldn't field a reserves side for nearly the whole of 2022, 2023 got numbers in but were routinely belted. The two bottom divisions were merged this year and they have managed to win a couple but have copped several 200+ hidings, and beaten by 80 by second last chadstone on the weekend.

Their magoos havent won since 2021. Looking through their team list they have guys who havent played since juniors, and several older guys, not a lot in-between. I really don't think moving to a better league would help unless someone can go on a mass recruiting spree

How does division 2/3 amateurs compare to division 4 Eastern?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does division 2/3 amateurs compare to division 4 Eastern?

I think the top teams in VAFA Div 3 would be competitive, after that I think they would really struggle in EFNL Div 4.

Div 2 VAFA would be competitive as well, but I reckon EFL top 4 would have them all covered purely on the fact they can offer good matchies

Would a move back to Eley Park work? At the moment there are 4 other teams around the same level as them within a 3 kilometre radius that they'd be competing with for players.

Most people are benefactors to some degree. Buying raffle tickets, events, different things to chip in.

If you’re passionate about the club and you’re worth millions upon millions, you might not mind parting with $100k.

AFL clubs raise millions through supporters and some people are just as / more passionate about their local club.

Personally if I was putting in big money I’d want it spent on something with some longer term benefits to the joint, not just see it go straight to players and coaches who’ll be gone in a few years.

I can understand the small parts we all contribute to clubs, but large amounts? Maybe if it was to help set up the new rooms or something permanent then you could think maybe, but if it was just to keeping the club finances in check to buy players, nah.

Look at Croydon Nth - effectively came from bottom division of ammo’s and have struggled to make any impact. Having said that a seven team division is not sustainable so if the right club/s can be attracted and supported for the long term it solves a few problems.

Do players who come through the juniors at these clubs, leave when they get to seniors because there’s no player payments?

Would being able to pay, stop players from leaving?

The facilities at the Bullants ground have been getting an upgrade the past 6 months, they just had 6 brand new light towers installed, a new electronic scoreboard put in, new pedestrian lights installed and the kids play area was re done, no idea if the works are done but their facilities are pretty good, not sure if it was all council money or not.

Do players who come through the juniors at these clubs, leave when they get to seniors because there’s no player payments?

Would being able to pay, stop players from leaving?

The facilities at the Bullants ground have been getting an upgrade the past 6 months, they just had 6 brand new light towers installed, a new electronic scoreboard put in, new pedestrian lights installed and the kids play area was re done, no idea if the works are done but their facilities are pretty good, not sure if it was all council money or not.

Good question mate, who knows if its for money or all their mates go somewhere else, or their culture is no good

They have a junior footy club (that is pretty well run) and a cricket club there, good to split the costs 3 ways, might've got a council grant or something.

Keen to find out who it actually is. The VAFA lost two clubs (Ivanhoe FC and Old parade) to the northern league citing travel, location, and accusing the VAFA of only being interested in keeping the top clubs happy. They wouldn't want to lose more.

Good question mate, who knows if its for money or all their mates go somewhere else, or their culture is no good

They have a junior footy club (that is pretty well run) and a cricket club there, good to split the costs 3 ways, might've got a council grant or something.

Keen to find out who it actually is. The VAFA lost two clubs (Ivanhoe FC and Old parade) to the northern league citing travel, location, and accusing the VAFA of only being interested in keeping the top clubs happy. They wouldn't want to lose more.
Whitefriars and Aquinas would be good additions into the EFNL 4th division

Div 2 Ammo’s the top half would easily account for all of Div 4 and at least push the top Div 3 sides. There are teams there who’ve beaten Div 2 EFL sides in practice matches.

Do you mean D2 ammos as in the 5th tier of ammos? Beating D2 EFNL sides? Surely not in any game taken half seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back