NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Norwood have forfeited 2s today. Not a great look for a premier comp

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rules have definitely changed cos back in the day (old man alert) you couldn’t play 19s and forfeit reserves.

Bloody joke, one week before finals and the opposition reserves don’t get a game.

Wake up EFL

Rules have definitely changed cos back in the day (old man alert) you couldn’t play 19s and forfeit reserves.

Bloody joke, one week before finals and the opposition reserves don’t get a game.

Wake up EFL
Smart by them. the margin would have been in 300's I reckon, playing third on the ladder with the 12-14 they've had all year. But I dont think the EFL is entirely to blame for Norwoods demise. We spoke about it earlier, they put all their eggs in one basket hoping Jordan would coach and were cooked when he bailed to coach croydon

And the money issues of course. Why would you wanna strap on the boots in the ressies, to get belted each week, when your $400+ in subs is going into the pocket of the guy (sitting opposite to you at thursday night dinner) in the seniors who doesn't give a s*** about the club and would walk first chance he got if the money disappeared.

Last edited:
Smart by them. the margin would have been in 300's I reckon, playing third on the ladder with the 12-14 they've had all year. But I dont think the EFL is entirely to blame for Norwoods demise. We spoke about it earlier, they put all their eggs in one basket hoping Jordan would coach and were cooked when he bailed to coach croydon

And the money issues of course. Why would you wanna strap on the boots in the ressies, to get belted each week, when your $400+ in subs is going into the pocket of the guy (sitting opposite to you at thursday night dinner) in the seniors who doesn't give a s*** about the club and would walk first chance he got if the money disappeared.

Yeah I don’t blame the EFL. I think the rules were right when you had to forfeit U19s before reserves. It’s about the whole club and I think that should still be the case.

But these days most seem to see U19s as a junior grade, not a senior grade, so times have changed I guess.

Actually the forfeit at this time of year got me thinking… what happens if it struck in finals?

A club gets hit by a stack of injuries at this time of year (as plenty would as the season wears on).

What if you don’t have enough fit players who are qualified for reserves finals? Surely you don’t have to forfeit a final? You would be allowed to play guys from Under 19s (or even lower) to make up a team, even if they’re not qualified?

Actually the forfeit at this time of year got me thinking… what happens if it struck in finals?

A club gets hit by a stack of injuries at this time of year (as plenty would as the season wears on).

What if you don’t have enough fit players who are qualified for reserves finals? Surely you don’t have to forfeit a final? You would be allowed to play guys from Under 19s (or even lower) to make up a team, even if they’re not qualified?
Would be strange but I reckon blackburn/vermont would have a whole side in the wings not getting a game just about. They'd find a way. Also I heard a rumour EFNL is thinking of starting a thirds grade similar to vafa. Wonder how they would set it up and how they would grade it.

Unless the club applied for an exemption I don’t see how this could be allowed.
Otherwise what would stop them using 1s or state league listed players? (If seniors hadn’t made finals)
They would simply be required to have played a certain number of games in the U19's of the club.

Would be strange but I reckon blackburn/vermont would have a whole side in the wings not getting a game just about. They'd find a way. Also I heard a rumour EFNL is thinking of starting a thirds grade similar to vafa. Wonder how they would set it up and how they would grade it.

It was raised many years ago but the league ultimately decided it would rather see players move to other clubs to boost their numbers.

With some clubs now badly struggling for numbers, can’t see it happening now.

Should Berwick and Norwood both go back to division 1?
Bring up the 2 grand Finalists.
Park Orchards and South Belgrave appear to be much better equipped to handle Premier as a club

It was raised many years ago but the league ultimately decided it would rather see players move to other clubs to boost their numbers.

With some clubs now badly struggling for numbers, can’t see it happening now.
Agree totally Bunk. There are many clubs across all divisions that are really struggling and they need all the help/ support they can get. If this doesn’t happen we could see some clubs close the doors.

Having another division is the last thing the league needs at this time.

Agree totally Bunk. There are many clubs across all divisions that are really struggling and they need all the help/ support they can get. If this doesn’t happen we could see some clubs close the doors.

Having another division is the last thing the league needs at this time.

True…however blokes have to want to move I suppose. If guys prefer being at a Blackburn or Vermont and playing 6 games a year and don’t want to move to nunawading/forest hill I guess you can’t make them and perhaps clubs would prefer to hold what they have?

Blacky had a few 19s double up in the 2s last week. I don’t think we have another side in reserve - our numbers would be in the 19s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Div 3 finals have begun, Div 1, 2 & 4 start finals next weekend and Premier Div have 1 more week of games before their finals start.

• East Ringwood easily account for Rowville, meaning ER will definitely finish on top of the ladder and are the team to beat. For Rowville they drop to 4th putting a massive dent in their premiership defence. A month ago i thought they were almost favourites but have dropped 3 of their last 4 games. Must defeat Noble Park away and hope Vermont lose to East Ringwood to get back into the top 3 and secure the double chance.
  • The battle for 5th spot will come down to the last round. If South Croydon defeat Doncaster East they definitely make it. South Croydon could lose and still make it if Blackburn lose to Balwyn. If Blackburn win and either South Croydon or Rowville lose they will overtake them as they have a much better percentage. If South Croydon lose and Blackburn win then they miss. The other scenario is that Rowville could miss finals all together if they lose to Noble Park and both South Croydon and Blackburn both win.
  • There is also an outlandish scenario where if South Croydon win very well (10 goals) and Vermont lose very badly to East Ringwood (10 goals) and Rowville just lose to Noble Park then South Croydon could skip to 3rd spot and a double chance. Very unlikely.
  • In Div 1 Park Orchards hammer Mitcham and get revenge for their only loss of the season to them earlier in the year. Park Orchards finish on top 3 games clear of South Belgrave in 2nd spot and are clearly the team to beat. They have gone thru the year a little bit under the radar with most of the talk being about Boronia, Donvale and East Ringwood, but they have had a remarkable year so far. Mitcham finish 3rd but still have the double chance.
  • Both Montrose and South Belgrave have scrappy wins against some lesser teams. Montrose actually trailed Wantirna South at 3/4 time by 11 points but ran over them in the last quarter. South Belgrave only beat North Ringwood by 14 points but got back to a goal midway through the last quarter. Its not great form leading into finals for both sides but they were effectively playing dead rubbers.
  • In Div 2, Boronia destroy Ringwood and their finals chances by 105 points. There was a small chance that Ringwood could lose but have a better percentage than Templestowe and sneak in but instead they dropped a massive 12% in the last game of the year. For Boronia, they looked primed for a certain flag in 4 weeks time, they finish 5 games clear of 2nd position on the ladder.
  • Mulgrave led all day against Templestowe eventually winning by 37 points. The win means they finish 3rd and have the double chance, a great effort for a club the seemed to be always around the middle. They went 7-2 in the second half of the season which is the second best behind Boronia. For Templestowe they finish 5th with a 9-9 record and will face Croydon in an elimination final next week.
  • In Div 3 Surrey Park ran over Knox by 27 points in the Qualifying Final. The first half was quite tight but Surrey got right on top in the second half and the scoreboard probably flattered Knox a little bit in the end. Surrey will now take on Donvale next week for a spot in the Grand Final but will progress to the elimination final if they lose. Surrey look to be at pretty much full strength now and i think they are going to be very hard to beat.
  • In the Elimination Final, Coldstream easily accounted for Oakleigh Districts. I don't think its much of a shock to anyone as the 5th spot in Div 3 this year was particularly weak. It did give 4 teams a chance of playing finals if results went their way in round 18 but I'm not sure it was good for the division considering Oakleigh only had an 8-10 record for the season prior to today. For Coldstream they had a few players back today and looked good and will face Knox in an Elimination Final next week. Darcy Fritsch also kicked another 7 goals meaning he is currently on 98 for the year.
  • In Div 4, Scoresby destroyed Forest Hill by 122 points and finish on top of the ladder. They will face Chirnside Park in the first week of finals. Only percentage separated these two teams after the home and away season so it looks like its going to be a great contest.
  • CNMLOC annihilated Nunawading by 140 points ending their season on a high. For Nunawading its another year as the wooden spoon. I know there was some talk this year of improvement but how long can this go on for?
  • In a preview to this weeks Elimination Final, Whitehorse easily defeated Kilsyth by 39 points. Not sure what to make of it as it was a dead rubber, but it will be interesting to see how this game unfolds on the weekend.

Should Berwick and Norwood both go back to division 1?
Bring up the 2 grand Finalists.
Park Orchards and South Belgrave appear to be much better equipped to handle Premier as a club
If whoever finishes 2nd bottom requests it, it could happen. I can't see the EFNL intervening otherwise

If whoever finishes 2nd bottom requests it, it could happen. I can't see the EFNL intervening otherwise
Yeah, the EFNL shouldn't be pushing them to relegate themselves, but Berwick and Norwood should be having a long hard think about what's best for them. There's a lot of examples of clubs trying to hang on to the top division for too long and bottoming out hard as a result.

I’d say Berwick would actually be happy to be relegated. They basically have an all home-grown squad so it’s not like it’s going to cost them any big marquee players who want to play in “premier division”.

They also get to play Beaconsfield again which is a huge local derby worth plenty of money that you can build into a huge day.

The coach and players will be competitive but I’d be surprised if there’s not a few committee members quietly hoping for a loss on Saturday.

Norwood, who knows… they look to be in freefall no matter which division they’re in.

True…however blokes have to want to move I suppose. If guys prefer being at a Blackburn or Vermont and playing 6 games a year and don’t want to move to nunawading/forest hill I guess you can’t make them and perhaps clubs would prefer to hold what they have?

Blacky had a few 19s double up in the 2s last week. I don’t think we have another side in reserve - our numbers would be in the 19s.

I stand corrected, very good effort being top of the table then.

Eligibility to play finals = minimum 3 games played across senior / aligned junior clubs. Then you have to grapple with the "if you've played 10 games in the seniors you're ineligible unless..." stuff

I guess if you couldn't find enough players to field 2 sides on that basis then you might forfeit a match, but I expect the EFNL would do its best to help a club to avoid that, in terms of reasonable exemptions being applied

And if the U19 are playing finals?
If the numbers of reserve players can't be met with U19's who aren't selected in the U19 team, then I guess we are back to where we started and the reserves forfeit. But having a minimum of games in the U19's prevents your worry of "teams from using 1s or state league listed players? (If seniors hadn’t made finals)". There will always be unlikely scenarios that cannot be planned for, so why even bother.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back