NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

An epic last round of football in Premier Division and finals in Div 1-4.

• Berwick survive! Berwick will remain in Premier Division defeating Norwood by 24 points. Norwood actually kicked the first 3 goals of the final quarter to hit the front by 5 points but it was all Berwick from that point on.
  • Rowville were a kick away from missing finals and not being able to defend their premiership. They just held on against Noble Park by 3 points, but because Blackburn defeated Balwyn and South Croydon defeated Doncaster East a loss to Noble park would have seen Rowville miss finals. The funny thing is not only did they hang on to finals but they ended up jumping over Vermont to 3rd meaning they have a double chance and are still a great chance of winning it.
  • Balwyn. They were 10-0 and looked everything a flag a favourite. Since then they have gone 3-5 and look a long way off winning a flag or even making it to the grand final. I know Saturday was a dead rubber for them, 2nd spot was sewn up, but its been a worrying trend in the last 8 weeks. They do however have a double chance and face Rowville next week whos form has also been inconsistent.
  • South Croydon did what they needed to against Doncaster East to lock in a finals spot. They would have probably liked it to be a little easier as they couldn't shake off the lions all day only winning by 12 points. South are a team to watch in the finals, their best is as good as any.
  • East Ringwood had a very professional win against Vermont by 6 goals. They took the lead early in the 2nd quarter and were never really challenged after that. For Vermont the loss means they drop to 4th and lose the double chance. They now face South Croydon in an elimination finals next weekend. Vermont has won both games against South Croydon this season.
  • DIV 1 Qualifying Final - Mitcham have done it again, defeating South Belgrave by 26 points. The scoreline was astonishing, South Belgrave had 24 scoring shots (5.19) to Mitcham's 15 (12.3) and lost easily. I think a few people were expecting some kind of retribution from South Belgrave after last years shock grand final result but it wasn't to be. Mitcham no go on to face Park Orchards for a place in the grand final while South Belgrave head to the elimination final.
  • DIV 1 Elimination Final - Beaconsfield smashed Montrose by 50 points in a very one sided game. The result is a bit of shock to many who saw Montrose as a bit of a dark horse, but their form had been inconsistent in the latter part of the year. The loss of the division leading goal kicker, Ryan Garthwaite, missing since round 13 didn't help. For Beaconsfield winning a final is probably a pass mark for them but things don't get any easier, as they now face South Belgrave in an elimination final next weekend.
  • DIV 2 Qualifying Final - Unbelievable. Waverley lead by 39 points early in the 3rd quarter but then could only manage to kick 1.6 for the rest of the game while Mulgrave kicked 10 of the last 11 goals to run out winners by 18 points. Waverly had 30 scoring shots to Mulgraves 23, but as they say bad kicking is bad football. Mulgrave now face Boronia next week for a spot in the grand final and Waverley go around again in the elimination final.
  • DIV 2 Elimination Final - In an unsurprising result Croydon defeated Templestowe by 7 goals. Templestowe always seemed to be making up the numbers as the 5th team in this division. Croydons best football is right up there as they are the only team to defeat Boronia. They will face Waverley next week in an elimination final. Waverly has won both their encounters during the season but i think hard to predict a winner with any confidence.
  • DIV 3 Qualifying Final - Donvale won by 4 points in a epic contest but I think Surrey Park blew it. They were the better team and you dont get many chances to beat Donvale. Some really costly simple errors was the difference, Donvale just got it done when they needed to and didnt blow their chances. I hope this ends up being the Grand Final as it could be one of the great games. Surreys kids are ridiculously good and Donvales stars are just so reliable.
  • DIV 3 Elimination Final - I think the writing was on the wall for this game as Knox easily defeated Coldstream by 10 goals. Coldstreams late season form dropped away losing games to FTG and Fairpark while Knox really finsihed the year well. The only highlight for Coldstream was Darcy Fritsch kicking his 100th goal for the year. For Knox i think they are up against it against Surrey Park but they certainly have the talent to upset them. They also have a huge supporter base to cheer them on.
  • DIV 4 Qualifying Final - Scoresby are straight into the Grand Final easily defeating Chirnside Park. Surprisingly its the first time this season that Scoresby has defeated Chrinside Park. I would be shocked if these two clubs dont meet again in the grand final in 2 weeks.
  • DIV 4 Elimination Final - Whitehorse lead for the majority of the game and were too strong for Kilsyth. An almost identical game when the two clubs met last weekend. Whitehorse will face Chirnside in the Prelim next week.

It’s a small sample and I don’t know what I’m talking about, but watched a bit of the relegation game online. Jeez… shocking. To have two sides of that calibre in the Premier Div is pretty embarrassing for a league that prides itself on being the biggest and best. Zero skills or footy IQ on show for either side.

Suggest both would struggle in D1.

It’s a small sample and I don’t know what I’m talking about, but watched a bit of the relegation game online. Jeez… shocking. To have two sides of that calibre in the Premier Div is pretty embarrassing for a league that prides itself on being the biggest and best. Zero skills or footy IQ on show for either side.

Suggest both would struggle in D1.

I think its a bit of an outlier. We haven't had 2 this bad for a while.

Be one of those years where we all wonder whether the ammos system of 2 up 2 down would be better - feel like at least 3 of the remaining 4 in Div 1 would come up well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like a mercy rule.

Bottom club is relegated.

If any other club finishes with 2 or less wins (as in, they’ve pretty much always only beaten the bottom side) and less than 50% percentage, then they can be relegated.

Next division down - the runners-up are offered the chance to be promoted - if they want it they get it - if they don’t then it stays as is.

The only downside of 1 up / 1 down is it takes too long for clubs in freefall to find their level. This might speed it up a bit.

It’s about competitiveness, that’s the point of divisions. If a club is clearly uncompetitive then it can be dealt with.

Not sure what to read into this but on the Div 3 SFNL page it has Ashwood seeking the possibility of a switch over to the Eastern league?

Some laughable PR shit out of Doncaster East in the Leader Footy today

Spring up for an interview and feature after two straight wins! Over Norwood and Berwick...

Whole article is a whinge about injuries... Coach says they're up to player 49... Which they're not, they've played 44 as per PlayHQ

Of those 44, five have played 1 game and six have played 2 games... So clearly just fringe fill-ins that you've rotated straight in and straight out

Reckons some weeks they've been missing 17 of their best 22... lol... pull the other one

Poor us, Tim O'Brien has "only" played 9 out of 13 games... he's a 30yo bashed-up ex-AFL player, what did you expect? His body to be tip-top?

Simon White has missed a heap of footy... again what did you expect, he's 36yo!

17 players have played at least 9 games so their core has been steady

We probably trusted them to do the work themselves in pre-season a bit.. What happened? I though the president said the blokes who wouldn't do the work have left?

Shit club, shit culture, 46 points every week and cheating the salary cap like mad... Face it, you've poured a mountain of cash down the toilet this year and ****ed it up
How many wins did they chalk up since the there’s a few coming up that we don’t like & they don’t like us article rubbish?

Talk the talk………

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic weekend of finals football despite the wild wind both days.

• Balwyn defeat reigning premier Rowville by 20 points and will face East Ringwood next week for a spot in the grand final. Charlie Haley starred with 5 goals. This was a very hard match to tip as both sides has been very inconsistent in the last half of the season but Balwyn got off to a good start and were never headed. Rowville seemed a little flat and are a big danger to go out in straight sets i think, they have gone 2-4 in their last 6 games and that includes a 3 point win against Noble Park. Its not great form. East Ringwood and Balwyn are 1-1 this season.
  • South Croydon ran out 10 point winners against Vermont in a seesawing match at Ringwood. At one stage early in the second quarter Vermont actually led by 6 goals but South were able to take advantage of the wind in the latter part of the quarter to have the scores level at half time. The second half was always going to be about who took advantage of the wind when they had it and South came out on top, just. Although it was a 10 point margin (south kicked a goal after the siren), Vermont had a chance to hit the front from a set shot with under a minute left but missed. South Croydon will now take on Rowville in an elimination final next week. South Croydon have beaten Rowville both times this year so far.
  • Mitcham came out on top against Park Orchards in the qualifying final and are straight into the grand final. In a massive come from behind win, Mitcham kicked 8 goals to 0 score in the last quarter. There is no doubt Park Orchards have been the dominant team this year in Div 1 but their 2 losses have both come against Mitcham. Mitcham started the season a little slowly and were 1-3 after a shock loss to Bayswater, but they were brilliant for the rest of the year. They have managed their season very well and i feel there is a confidence about them. I think they will be very hard to beat now. For Park Orchards they get to regroup and will face Beaconsfield in next weeks Prelim. Park Orchards defeated Beaconsfield both times they played during the season but their most recent game in round 15 was only decided by 1 point. The pressure is on Park Orchards here not to go out in straight sets.
  • Beaconsfield upset South Belgrave in the biggest boil over of the weekend i think. We talked about South Belgrave losing their aura during the season as they suffered a few losses and it all fallen apart again in finals losing in straight sets after last years shock grand final loss. South Belgrave held a 2 goal lead at 3/4 time but couldnt hold off Beaconsfield losing by 3 points. You cant help but feel South Belgrave have underachieved and you wonder whether they will load up and go again or could we see some changes? For Beaconsfield its a fantastic result finishing 5th and winning two finals in row. They now face Park Orchards in the prelim next week.
  • Boronia took care of Mulgrave in a solid win by 34 points in the qualifying final. It wasn't spectacular by their standards but they did what they needed to. Mulgrave certainly had some great patches during the game but never really looked like winning especially without Lin Jong. Boronia are straight through to the grand final while Mulgrave will play Croydon in next weeks prelim. Mulgrave has defeated Croydon both times this year.
  • Croydon have knocked off Waverley in a come from behind win by 3 points in the elimination final. Midway through the last quarter Waverley led by 22 points but Croydon kicked the last 4 goals of the game to snatch victory. This is the second year in a row Waverley has gone out in straight sets from finals but also the second straight game where they have held a match winning lead and let it slip. For Croydon if they get over Mulgrave next week they will go into a grand final knowing they are the only side that has defeated Boronia all season.
  • In Div 3 Surrey Park were much to good for Knox in the prelim and ran out winners by 47 points. It was a great year for Knox after getting relegated in 2023 and you'd think they will be very competitive next season with a young list. Surrey will now face Donvale in the grand final next week and this game is 50/50 i think. Surreys kids are so good its ridiculous and i think they will be the better club to move up to Div 2 and have sustained success. It would be a massive achievement to win back to back flags after being down for so long. On the other side Donvale deserve to win the flag after the success they have had over the last two seasons and would also be back to back premiers for them. They deserve their chance at Div 2. I really cant split them.
  • In Div 4 Whitehorse are through to the grand final after knocking off Chirnside Park by 17 points in a bit of a surprise. For the second year in a row Chirnside have entered finals as the form team and have then gone out in straight sets. Whitehorse's form in the second half of the season was a little patchy seeing them drop out of the top 2 but they have now won 4 games in a row. They will face Scoresby in the grand final next Sunday. They have played 3 times this year and Scoresby have the 2-1 lead. The last time the two sides met in Round 17, Scoresby defeated Whitehorse by a massive 85 points and its hard to see how Whitehorse are going to turn that around but football is a funny game.

Last edited:

• Balwyn defeat reigning premier Rowville by 20 points and will face East Ringwood next week for a spot in the grand final. Charlie Haley starred with 5 goals. This was a very hard match to tip as both sides has been very inconsistent in the last half of the season but Balwyn got off to a good start and were never headed. Rowville seemed a little flat and are a big danger to go out in straight sets i think, they have gone 2-4 in their last 6 games and that includes a 3 point win against Noble Park. Its not great form. East Ringwood and Balwyn are 1-1 this season.
  • South Croydon ran out 10 point winners against Vermont in a seesawing match at Ringwood. At one stage early in the second quarter Vermont actually led by 6 goals but South were able to take advantage of the wind in the latter part of the quarter to have the scores level at half time. The second half was always going to be about who took advantage of the wind when they had it and South came out on top, just. Although it was a 10 point margin (south kicked a goal after the siren), Vermont had a chance to hit the front from a set shot with under a minute left but missed. South Croydon will now take on Rowville in an elimination final next week. South Croydon have beaten Rowville both times this year so far.
  • Mitcham came out on top against Park Orchards in the qualifying final and are straight into the grand final. There is no doubt Park Orchards have been the dominant team this year in Div 1 but their 2 losses have both come against Mitcham. Mitcham started the season a little slowly and were 1-3 after a shock loss to Bayswater, but they were brilliant for the rest of the year. They have managed their season very well and i feel there is a confidence about them. I think they will be very hard to beat now. For Park Orchards they get to regroup and will face Beaconsfield in next weeks Prelim. Park Orchards defeated Beaconsfield both times they played during the season but their most recent game in round 15 was only decided by 1 point. The pressure is on Park Orchards here not to go out in straight sets.
  • Beaconsfield upset South Belgrave in the biggest boil over of the weekend i think. We talked about South Belgrave losing their aura during the season as they suffered a few losses and it all fallen apart again in finals losing in straight sets after last years shock grand final loss. South Belgrave held a 2 goal lead at 3/4 time but couldnt hold off Beaconsfield losing by 3 points. You cant help but feel South Belgrave have underachieved and you wonder whether they will load up and go again or could we see some changes? For Beaconsfield its a fantastic result finishing 5th and winning two finals in row. They now face Park Orchards in the prelim next week.
  • Boronia took care of Mulgrave in a solid win by 34 points in the qualifying final. It wasn't spectacular by their standards but they did what they needed to. Mulgrave certainly had some great patches during the game but never really looked like winning especially without Lin Jong. Boronia are straight through to the grand final while Mulgrave will play Croydon in next weeks prelim. Mulgrave has defeated Croydon both times this year.
  • Croydon have knocked off Waverley in a come from behind win by 3 points in the elimination final. Midway through the last quarter Waverley led by 22 points but Croydon kicked the last 4 goals of the game to snatch victory. This is the second year in a row Waverley has gone out in straight sets from finals but also the second straight game where they have held a match winning lead and let it slip. For Croydon if they get over Mulgrave next week they will go into a grand final knowing they are the only side that has defeated Boronia all season.
  • In Div 3 Surrey Park were much to good for Knox in the prelim and ran out winners by 47 points. It was a great year for Knox after getting relegated in 2023 and you'd think they will be very competitive next season with a young list. Surrey will now face Donvale in the grand final next week and this game is 50/50 i think. Surreys kids are so good its ridiculous and i think they will be the better club to move up to Div 2 and have sustained success. It would be a massive achievement to win back to back flags after being down for so long. On the other side Donvale deserve to win the flag after the success they have had over the last two seasons and would also be back to back premiers for them. They deserve their chance at Div 2. I really cant split them.
  • In Div 4 Whitehorse are through to the grand final after knocking off Chirnside Park by 17 points in a bit of a surprise. For the second year in a row Chirnside have entered finals as the form team and have then gone out in straight sets. Whitehorse's form in the second half of the season was a little patchy seeing them drop out of the top 2 but they have now won 4 games in a row. They will face Scoresby in the grand final next Sunday. They have played 3 times this year and Scoresby have the 2-1 lead. The last time the two sides met in Round 17, Scoresby defeated Whitehorse by a massive 85 points and its hard to see how Whitehorse are going to turn that around but football is a funny game.
Croydon North one of the 3 battling clubs in D3, how good to see their reserves in the grand final now.Saw their 1,s play last round second half against Nunawading and they looked good,or was Nunawading bad and made them look good.lol.

Croydon North one of the 3 battling clubs in D3, how good to see their reserves in the grand final now.Saw their 1,s play last round second half against Nunawading and they looked good,or was Nunawading bad and made them look good.lol.
They gave nuna a real touch up didnt they. They just have the same problem in a way of no juniors, so no 1 pointers unless they havent played above the current standard, they are right up there at the max point level every week. Good on their 2s though.

• Mitcham came out on top against Park Orchards in the qualifying final and are straight into the grand final. In a massive come from behind win, Mitcham kicked 8 goals to 0 score in the last quarter. There is no doubt Park Orchards have been the dominant team this year in Div 1 but their 2 losses have both come against Mitcham. Mitcham started the season a little slowly and were 1-3 after a shock loss to Bayswater, but they were brilliant for the rest of the year. They have managed their season very well and i feel there is a confidence about them. I think they will be very hard to beat now. For Park Orchards they get to regroup and will face Beaconsfield in next weeks Prelim. Park Orchards defeated Beaconsfield both times they played during the season but their most recent game in round 15 was only decided by 1 point. The pressure is on Park Orchards here not to go out in straight sets.
The coin toss undoubtedly came into play. If you had the wind in the last quarter, it was a great help.

2025 EFNL Salary cap Allowable player payments

Premier Division - $ 125,00.00
Division One - $ 105,00.00
Division Two - $ 87,000.00
Division Three - $ 79,000.00
Division Four - $ 65,000.00

The allowable total team player points will remain at 46 for season 2025.

2025 EFNL Salary cap Allowable player payments

Premier Division - $ 125,00.00
Division One - $ 105,00.00
Division Two - $ 87,000.00
Division Three - $ 79,000.00
Division Four - $ 65,000.00

The allowable total team player points will remain at 46 for season 2025.
Does Div 2 seem a bit off? $18k less than Div 1, $8K more than Div 3. Div 3 $14K more than Div 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back