NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t pretend to have anything on the king, but having watched two games of EFNL footy this weekend, thought I’d try my own mini review

- In one way it was good to see Mitcham and Boronia claim the promotions that were rightfully theirs last year. In another way, it does feel a little like the two divisions have had a bit of a wasted season by requiring them both to win twice to go up. I will say I think the EFNL got this wrong - you cannot take promotion or relegation off the table entirely for any season. When they relegated two teams and promoted none last year, they should have relegated three and promoted one. You need movement throughout the divisions. If clubs don’t like it then stop admitting a million new clubs to the league

- I concur on the Boronia surface - what a disgrace. It was the huge pools of water that were a joke. The EFNL need to have a chat to Knox Council about this. Wonder what happens next year, with Boronia in D1 assume there’ll be a reshuffle of finals venues.

- I actually found it hard to take much from the Mitcham v PO game due to the conditions. Mitcham obviously played it better and fully deserved the win. Onward and upward.

- I tuned in today to see the all-conquering Boronia and if I’m going to be honest… I was quite underwhelmed? They really didn’t impress me that much. Very strange comment for a team that won by 10 goals I know… but for a team that was well on top they didn’t seem very polished, their skills weren’t great - maybe it was the occasion. Tbh they appear to me to be a “good side” that have a couple of absolute superstars who they rely on heavily to take them to the next level. Mellis is brilliant, he is next level, as is Begley. During quarters 2 and 3 they kicked 4 goals total and didn’t look like much. They loosened up in the last quarter when the game was over and started flowing. Perhaps Croydon were more of a hindrance to them than I’m giving credit. The game was really lost in the first quarter when Croydon didn’t seem ready to go and were jumped. Anyway Boronia are laughing, they won’t give a shit about my opinion! The comments on the call were they have had an amazing two years with injury and I expect that has probably taken them a long way. Give Mellis or Begley a big injury and the season may have been different.

- Just an aside - what is the point of these new concussion rules as clubs clearly just ignore them? Anybody who is “suspected” of concussion is required to be taken straight from the ground, end of their day, and assessed by a doctor. In both games I saw a number of players get very heavy hits to the head and the trainers didn’t even go near them. If any club is actually following the rules they are at a disadvantage because I didn’t see any adherence to them.

- Balwyn v ER should be interesting. I’ll back Balwyn with no confidence at all, just in them beating ER last week.

Two more premiers were decided and both went back to back making it the 3rd time this year a club has won back to back grand finals.

- East Ringwood shrugged off their small loss to Balwyn the week before to smash Rowville. Rowville were never in the game, yes it was wild weather, but both clubs had to play in it. Although it was only 19 points at half time it felt like a lot more. Former Bayswater & FTG junior Corey Preston (son of Jamie) was fantastic in the game and has been all year, mixing his time between East Ringwood and Werribee early on int he year. Sam Lowson was actually held to no goals, the first time this season he hasn't hit the scoreboard for East Ringwood. I'm convinced they are the team to beat and if its sunny they will win by more. For Rowville it does add to the narrative that they aren't a very good wet weather team. I know it rained late in the game against South Croydon the week before but that game was completely over by then. Shows its very hard to go back to back in Premier Division.

- Mitcham have gone back to back! Its a fantastic result for the club and their coach Neil Winterton who now has his 4th flag at Mitcham. Its especially rewarding for the club because i think many (including me) thought there was a bit of luck in the win against South Belgrave last year, but to back it up again the year after, it shows they absolutely deserved it. Nick Caulfield won the medal for best on ground. It goes to show there are different ways to win flags and Mitcham have heavily recruited to get there. There was 8 or 9 former FTG juniors playing in the flag yesterday and most were from the same age group, its astonishing. There was also a couple more players connected to that group of FTG players from The Basin and Rowville that also joined Mitcham. Its crazy to think what where FTG could be with those boys. What Mitcham have done really well is retain them for a very long time, just about every year there are rumours about some returning to FTG but it never happens. For Park Orchards it was really a disappointing performance, only losing 1 game in the regular season (to Mitcham) and then the grand final. It was all about the 2nd quarter where Mitcham kicked 6 goals. There was only 4 goals kicked for the whole game in the other 3 quarters. The game was over at half time.
*On a negative note, the ground condition was horrible and unacceptable. Actually as a venue i think Boronia isn't worthy of finals anymore. It very run down (i know they are getting a renovation soon) and doesn't show case the league how it should be.

- Boronia have gone back to back! On a much better day for football today than yesterday weather wise, Boronia destroyed Croydon by 63 points. Josh Begley won the best on ground medal. They were just too strong all over the ground. Coach Matt Clarke wins his 3rd flag at Boronia after crossing from Wantirna South. I don't think Ive seen a grand final in a long time where one team genuinely looked a class above the other. Boronia had winners all over the ground and it wasn't clear who was best on, it was so even. For Croydon they had a great year and were in all 3 grand finals today but only came away with the Under 19s flag in Rhett Jordans first year of coaching after leaving Norwood. The coach was a huge loss in the Croydon forward line out injured. If they all stick they should be right up there again next year. Boronia they have taken the opposite road to Mitcham, a huge number of their premiership players today are home grown juniors. Boronia will now finally get to test themselves in Division 1 and will be able to reignite a rivalry match against Bayswater at some stage next year. They seem to have wasted no time recruiting with Jordan Church (FTG B&F winner this year) and recently retired AFL player Liam Shiels rumoured to be joining the club with more to come.

I don’t pretend to have anything on the king, but having watched two games of EFNL footy this weekend, thought I’d try my own mini review

- In one way it was good to see Mitcham and Boronia claim the promotions that were rightfully theirs last year. In another way, it does feel a little like the two divisions have had a bit of a wasted season by requiring them both to win twice to go up. I will say I think the EFNL got this wrong - you cannot take promotion or relegation off the table entirely for any season. When they relegated two teams and promoted none last year, they should have relegated three and promoted one. You need movement throughout the divisions. If clubs don’t like it then stop admitting a million new clubs to the league

- I concur on the Boronia surface - what a disgrace. It was the huge pools of water that were a joke. The EFNL need to have a chat to Knox Council about this. Wonder what happens next year, with Boronia in D1 assume there’ll be a reshuffle of finals venues.

- I actually found it hard to take much from the Mitcham v PO game due to the conditions. Mitcham obviously played it better and fully deserved the win. Onward and upward.

- I tuned in today to see the all-conquering Boronia and if I’m going to be honest… I was quite underwhelmed? They really didn’t impress me that much. Very strange comment for a team that won by 10 goals I know… but for a team that was well on top they didn’t seem very polished, their skills weren’t great - maybe it was the occasion. Tbh they appear to me to be a “good side” that have a couple of absolute superstars who they rely on heavily to take them to the next level. Mellis is brilliant, he is next level, as is Begley. During quarters 2 and 3 they kicked 4 goals total and didn’t look like much. They loosened up in the last quarter when the game was over and started flowing. Perhaps Croydon were more of a hindrance to them than I’m giving credit. The game was really lost in the first quarter when Croydon didn’t seem ready to go and were jumped. Anyway Boronia are laughing, they won’t give a shit about my opinion! The comments on the call were they have had an amazing two years with injury and I expect that has probably taken them a long way. Give Mellis or Begley a big injury and the season may have been different.

- Just an aside - what is the point of these new concussion rules as clubs clearly just ignore them? Anybody who is “suspected” of concussion is required to be taken straight from the ground, end of their day, and assessed by a doctor. In both games I saw a number of players get very heavy hits to the head and the trainers didn’t even go near them. If any club is actually following the rules they are at a disadvantage because I didn’t see any adherence to them.

- Balwyn v ER should be interesting. I’ll back Balwyn with no confidence at all, just in them beating ER last week.

Haha we definitely saw the Boronia game differently! But all good. It was quite windy out at Mitcham today.

Boronia never looked like losing after 5 minutes. A telling point was early when the Croydon player broke his leg and put his arm up for help. His opponent was advising the Umpire to stop the game.

No playing surface unless it was at the elite level would have coped with the intense rainfall experienced yesterday. Over 40mm fell in less than 30 minutes. Bayswater and Boronia both held up pretty well compared to many other grounds that would have turned to bogs. The combination of rainfall and playing at the same time does impact on the ability of any turf surface to effectively drain. Unless you want to have drainage infrastructure like an elite venue such as the MCG or you are in the sand belt, this is what results. Mother Nature always has control in the management and use of parks and sportsfields. In Sydney for example sportsfields are closed during wet weather (including weekends). Don’t think that would go down well in Victoria although it is the view that it is best to use this approach so that users can play on better surfaces although the level of investment in sportsfields in Sydney is far less than what happens in Melbourne.

Two more premiers were decided and both went back to back making it the 3rd time this year a club has won back to back grand finals.

- East Ringwood shrugged off their small loss to Balwyn the week before to smash Rowville. Rowville were never in the game, yes it was wild weather, but both clubs had to play in it. Although it was only 19 points at half time it felt like a lot more. Former Bayswater & FTG junior Corey Preston (son of Jamie) was fantastic in the game and has been all year, mixing his time between East Ringwood and Werribee early on int he year. Sam Lowson was actually held to no goals, the first time this season he hasn't hit the scoreboard for East Ringwood. I'm convinced they are the team to beat and if its sunny they will win by more. For Rowville it does add to the narrative that they aren't a very good wet weather team. I know it rained late in the game against South Croydon the week before but that game was completely over by then. Shows its very hard to go back to back in Premier Division.

- Mitcham have gone back to back! Its a fantastic result for the club and their coach Neil Winterton who now has his 4th flag at Mitcham. Its especially rewarding for the club because i think many (including me) thought there was a bit of luck in the win against South Belgrave last year, but to back it up again the year after, it shows they absolutely deserved it. Nick Caulfield won the medal for best on ground. It goes to show there are different ways to win flags and Mitcham have heavily recruited to get there. There was 8 or 9 former FTG juniors playing in the flag yesterday and most were from the same age group, its astonishing. There was also a couple more players connected to that group of FTG players from The Basin and Rowville that also joined Mitcham. Its crazy to think what where FTG could be with those boys. What Mitcham have done really well is retain them for a very long time, just about every year there are rumours about some returning to FTG but it never happens. For Park Orchards it was really a disappointing performance, only losing 1 game in the regular season (to Mitcham) and then the grand final. It was all about the 2nd quarter where Mitcham kicked 6 goals. There was only 4 goals kicked for the whole game in the other 3 quarters. The game was over at half time.
*On a negative note, the ground condition was horrible and unacceptable. Actually as a venue i think Boronia isn't worthy of finals anymore. It very run down (i know they are getting a renovation soon) and doesn't show case the league how it should be.

- Boronia have gone back to back! On a much better day for football today than yesterday weather wise, Boronia destroyed Croydon by 63 points. Josh Begley won the best on ground medal. They were just too strong all over the ground. Coach Matt Clarke wins his 3rd flag at Boronia after crossing from Wantirna South. I don't think Ive seen a grand final in a long time where one team genuinely looked a class above the other. Boronia had winners all over the ground and it wasn't clear who was best on, it was so even. For Croydon they had a great year and were in all 3 grand finals today but only came away with the Under 19s flag in Rhett Jordans first year of coaching after leaving Norwood. The coach was a huge loss in the Croydon forward line out injured. If they all stick they should be right up there again next year. Boronia they have taken the opposite road to Mitcham, a huge number of their premiership players today are home grown juniors. Boronia will now finally get to test themselves in Division 1 and will be able to reignite a rivalry match against Bayswater at some stage next year. They seem to have wasted no time recruiting with Jordan Church (FTG B&F winner this year) and recently retired AFL player Liam Shiels rumoured to be joining the club with more to come.

Mitcham was a good win but as mentioned only 3 home grown players with the foreign legion making up the team. 3 boys from The Basin and a large FTG contingent. As mentioned there are strong rumours a few of them may be returning to their home club in 2025. Mitcham have traditionally recruited from outside the club so we will see what happens. Unfortunately that approach has got them into trouble before although I would be confident with Matt Macubbin at the helm it won’t be any issue. Congratulations to Neil Winterton on the premiership. What a great person and coach he is.

Boronia did what they needed to do today. A solid workman like win. They didn’t need to impress anyone except to get the job done which they did. With a new pavilion soon to commence and other upgrades, financially strong, an excellent playing list (nearly all home grown players) and coaching staff it is great to see the club back where they belong. They have been unlucky in not being promoted in recent years despite winning 3 premierships in 5 years. Kudos to Matthew Clark and Steve Teakel for their efforts in achieving this. Congratulations also to Greg Hannon and his committee for having the club is such a strong position. All their hard work has paid off. They will do very well in 2025.

Last edited:
It is quite an incredible rise for Mitcham. People talk about the 4 flags but it’s really the last three that are amazing. Relegation can really hurt a club and take years to receiver from. It was only six years ago that Mitcham were relegated to the third tier.

Since then they have gone

Flag
[COVID]
[COVID]
Prelim
Flag
Flag

And a real sliding doors moment in that 2019 flag - beating Ringwood with an after-siren kick that if it was in, was literally by millimeters.

South Belgrave and Boronia then come into that division that they were promoted from.

Are they going to Premier today if that kick is one inch shorter? Footy… the margins are so small and sometimes the gods smile on you. Other times they shit on you!!

Mitcham was a good win but as mentioned only 3 home grown players with the foreign legion making up the team. 3 boys from The Basin and a large FTG contingent. As mentioned there are strong rumours a few of them may be returning to their home club in 2025. Mitcham have traditionally recruited from outside the club so we will see what happens. Unfortunately that approach has got them into trouble before although I would be confident with Matt Macubbin at the helm it won’t be any issue. Congratulations to Neil Winterton on the premiership. What a great person and coach he is.

Boronia did what they needed to do today. A solid workman like win. They didn’t need to impress anyone except to get the job done which they did. With a new pavilion soon to commence and other upgrades, financially strong, an excellent playing list (nearly all home grown players) and coaching staff it is great to see the club back where they belong. They have been unlucky in not being promoted in recent years despite winning 3 premierships in 5 years. Kudos to Matthew Clark and Steve Teakel for their efforts in achieving this. Congratulations also to Greg Hannon and his committee for having the club is such a strong position. All their hard work has paid off. They will do very well in 2025.
The recruiting from outside of the club with this current group seems to be different to other experiences considering the core group were mainly recruited around under 19's from their respective clubs and have stuck around since. Looks like Uren, Lovell, Cherry & N.Hallo have all re-signed which is promising for them again for next year.

Also it looks like about 5 or 6 players from their 19's program this year played 1's football this year which bodes well for the guys coming through.

Add Dylan Clarke as potentially new recruit for Boronia if he decides to leave Sorrento 💰

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think of the 8 senior and reserve GFs so for 6 went back to back?

Scoresby Reserves
Donvale Reserves
Surrey Park Seniors
East Burwood Reserves
Boronia Seniors
Mitcham Seniors.

Only Scoresby Seniors and Sth Belgrave not back to back

Only caught the 1st half of Boronia and Croydon, First time Ive seen a 2nd Div match this year, My observation was that Croydon were very ordinary.
Not sure what their game plan was, but the stop/start kick long to a contest with no willingness for over lap run, switch play or take the game on. Even as a neutral, This was frustrating to watch! The only bloke that seemed to want to take a risk was the full back, Number 12 I think??

They weren't clean at ground level, Often fumbling, Spoiling each other when they had extra numbers at a marking contest. They may have been over whelmed by the occasion, combined with Boronia's pressure, Which was pretty good. but the performance was was poor

Boronia's win/loss record may have been exaggerated if that was the 2nd best team in the Division.

In saying that, I think Boronia play finals next year. There was quite a gap between the top 5 in Div 1 & the rest this season & I cannot see these bottom 5 sides improving a hell of a lot, Boronia's top end talent alone will win them games against these teams, and Clarkey is a very good coach!

They threw the kitchen sink at him last year. Turns out Sorrento have an even bigger sink.
Trust me Bunk Moreland they enquired but throwing the kitchen sink at him is extreme. They were way off the mark compared to Sorrento FNC and what they offered. As for 2025 I believe it is unlikely there will be a change of clubs for him. Sorrento has very deep pockets as you probably know.

Trust me Bunk Moreland they enquired but throwing the kitchen sink at him is extreme. They were way off the mark compared to Sorrento FNC and what they offered. As for 2025 I believe it is unlikely there will be a change of clubs for him. Sorrento has very deep pockets as you probably know.
Sorrento don’t seem to have a salary cap in fact a lot of clubs on the peninsula don’t seem too. Must have the same salary cap as Doncaster East and Sth Belgrave 🤔

You’re slipping Bunk Only 3 home grown players in Mitcham’s premiership yesterday waiting for a derogatory post from you.Can only imagine what you’d post if that was say a Vermont or a Balwyn.

I looked this up regarding their junior clubs. Of Saturday's 22:

Mitcham: Lucas Marro, Cameron Pirzas, Hamish Gill

Rowville: Jesse Cherry

Surrey Park: Flynn Maguire, Josh May

Rowville Knights: Guy Laughlin, Tom Lovell

Blackburn: Nathan Crampton, Nathan Barnes, Jackson Glossop

Ferntree Gully: Jackson Hallo, Nick Hallo, Alex Barton-Smith, Jesse Uren, Zach Elms, Jesse Smyth, Riley Nicholas

Donvale: Jake Parente

Scoresby: Josh Du Vallon

Richmond Centrals: Danny Baglava

The Basin: Nick Caulfield

If I'm Ferntree Gully I'm having a good look in the mirror and trying to work our where it all went wrong.

Mitcham will be raided at some point as these clubs target their junior players - just a matter of when

Last edited:
If I'm Ferntree Gully I'm having a good look in the mirror and trying to work our where it all went wrong.

I think they are well aware of where it all went wrong. Its more of a "what could have been".

There is talk of players coming back to FTG each year and its usually involves Alex Barton-Smith although he was one that didn't actually go to Mitcham initially, he stayed and played seniors at FTG for a bit. They said he was 100% coming back for this season but obviously didn't happen. There is not really much attraction to leave Mitcham for FTG right now unless its bulk cash.

Already they have been hammered with players leaving/retiring with their B&F winner walking out on the club to join Boronia among a list of others.

Jordan Church - Boronia confirmed
Lachie Kennedy
Ethan Kiker
Alex Bull
Hayden Lovat
Jack Flannery
Jordyn Flannery
Brayden Wright

I think they are well aware of where it all went wrong. Its more of a "what could have been".

There is talk of players coming back to FTG each year and its usually involves Alex Barton-Smith although he was one that didn't actually go to Mitcham initially, he stayed and played seniors at FTG for a bit. They said he was 100% coming back for this season but obviously didn't happen. There is not really much attraction to leave Mitcham for FTG right now unless its bulk cash.

Already they have been hammered with players leaving/retiring with their B&F winner walking out on the club to join Boronia among a list of others.

Lachie Kennedy
Ethan Kiker
Alex Bull
Hayden Lovat
Jack Flannery
Jordyn Flannery
Brayden Wright

I guess they need a core group of players coming through who want to stick together and can start some success - then there will be a bit of pull for people to come back.

Lachie Kennedy
Ethan Kiker
Alex Bull
Hayden Lovat
Jack Flannery
Jordyn Flannery
Brayden Wright
Why leave Mitcham,money is not every thing.We have worked so hard to rebuild our club and to see all the work our volunteers did at the MCG of the East yesterday.Over 100 of them including many young and old from the Mitcham Junior Club including parents of senior players who jumped on board to help us.We had the ground cleaned up within an hour,Whitehorse Council do a great job looking after the ground,some of the best facilities in the eastern suburbs thanks to a lot of hard work by a few behind the scenes by the football and cricket clubs to get the rebuild.For a lot of us we call it our 2nd home and the tiger army is getting bigger and bigger supporter wise.The next step is our biggest,be competitive in Premier get sponsors on board and more people on board the tiger train.

Kudos to Mitcham yesterday. You are only as good as your foot soldiers and Mitcham has a few platoons.
A big thank you to the Mitcham FNC on a great day.

Side note, can anyone update on the player who broke his leg in the Seniors early in the game?

how do you know about all of these players leaving FTG already adock?

It been floating around a fair bit at finals. A few different people have said it to me so i asked a FTG person who didnt 100% confirm but conceded they look to be losing quite a few for different reason. Flannery has moved far away apparently. The Church one has been confirmed by both clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back