NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s been a couple of articles that have had a go at listing Cassett’s clubs.

It’s pretty hard as the man himself says he couldn’t list them all!

You can probably find reference to 20-odd online, he would say it’s probably double that, he played from 17yo to his mid 40s and that included heaps of one-off appearances and mid-season moves, so probably not short of the mark. He never stayed anywhere for more than 2-3 years.

I think I remember Ian Atkinson was another who played for 10+ clubs, another whose career was probably closing in on 3 decades. He played at Dandenong, Rowville, Forest Hill, Sandown and many, many more.
It's been said that, he's only played under Danny Cassett at 32 clubs and used alias's at the other 28.

Sutton claimed to be the only full-time professional footballer in the 70s/80s. Travelled Australian playing everywhere and anywhere.

Trained with Footscray early on but didn’t make it.

Claimed at stage that he played 600+ senior games and kicked 4000+ goals. The reality was more like half that, which is still incredible of course.

In terms of clubs few hold a candle to Fev, who played mostly one-off games, but played for these clubs and a few others…

Carlton
Brisbane
Casey Scorpions
Narre Warren
Waratahs
Yarrawonga
New Norfolk
Monbulk
Griffith
Rockingham Rams
Edenhope-Apsley
Bacchus Marsh
Kinglake
Lindenow
Geelong West
Kangaroo Flat
Woodend-Hesket
Sandown Cobras
Perth (Tas)
Deer Park
Hurstbridge
Frankston Bombers
Doveton
Coolangatta
Marong
Glenrowan
Melton South
St Kilda City
Heidelberg West
Diamond Valley (Super Rules)

Playing at East Sunbury in 2025.

Sutton claimed to be the only full-time professional footballer in the 70s/80s. Travelled Australian playing everywhere and anywhere.

Claimed at stage that he played 600+ senior games and kicked 4000+ goals. The reality was more like half that, which is still incredible of course.

In terms of clubs few hold a candle to Fev, who played mostly one-off games, but played for these clubs and a few others…

Carlton
Brisbane
Casey Scorpions
Narre Warren
Waratahs
Yarrawonga
New Norfolk
Monbulk
Griffith
Rockingham Rams
Edenhope-Apsley
Bacchus Marsh
Kinglake
Lindenow
Geelong West
Kangaroo Flat
Woodend-Hesket
Sandown Cobras
Perth (Tas)
Deer Park
Hurstbridge
Frankston Bombers
Doveton
Coolangatta
Marong
Glenrowan
Melton South
St Kilda City
Heidelberg West

Apparently Sutton twice kicked more than 200 goals. It makes you wonder how he ever made it to the Olympics as an amateur.

Carlton
Brisbane
Casey Scorpions
Narre Warren
Waratahs
Yarrawonga
New Norfolk
Monbulk
Griffith
Rockingham Rams
Edenhope-Apsley
Bacchus Marsh
Kinglake
Lindenow
Geelong West
Kangaroo Flat
Woodend-Hesket
Sandown Cobras
Perth (Tas)
Deer Park
Hurstbridge
Frankston Bombers
Doveton
Coolangatta
Marong
Glenrowan
Melton South
St Kilda City
Heidelberg West

He beats my 22. Then again, my total was bolstered by playing for 17 clubs in 17 weeks in 17 leagues (mostly in the reserves) as part of a book I wrote about grassroots footy in WA about 10 years ago. No cash changed hands - all I wanted from the clubs was to keep my jumper as a souvenir and to hear the story about their club and footy in that region.

Vic - Templestowe, Kinglake, Surrey Park.
SA - Callington.
WA - Albany Sharks, Boyup Brook, Broome Saints, Canning Vale, Cervantes, Goomalling, Harvey Bulls, Kambalda, Kukerin-Dumbleyung, Kulin-Kondinin, Melville, Newman Pioneers, Northampton, Ports (Esperance), Railways (Northam), South Mandurah, Southern Saints (Masters), Townsite Eagles (Tom Price).

Last edited:
Yep, under the impression the whitefriars high school boys coaching was in return for his services as the old boys coaching/playing, cheeky way around VAFA's rule of non payment of players even if they are playing coaches

You’d be very wrong though as he was coach of the school teams long before the VAFA gig and still is.

Yep, under the impression the whitefriars high school boys coaching was in return for his services as the old boys coaching/playing, cheeky way around VAFA's rule of non payment of players even if they are playing coaches

He was doing that long before he coached Whitefriars in VAFA. But im sure it was a convenient overlay and he could have been rewarded in some way.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back