NRL NRL 2024 - Grand Final Melbourne vs Penrith

Remove this Banner Ad

Howarth's effort was sent for review by bunker official Grant Atkins, who supported the on-field decision of no-try.

Screenshots circulated on social media appeared to show Howarth had grounded the ball, but vision shown to the media by NRL head of football Graham Annesley in the bowels of Accor Stadium showed Klein and Atkins had made the correct call.
Annesley showed frame-by-frame replays of the footage which revealed that at no point did Howarth ground the ball.

"When I saw it live I was saying what everyone else was saying, I thought I saw the ball on the ground," Annesley said.

"It's only when we go back and look at it clearly that you can see the different colour between the arm and the ball.
"The ball is sitting on top of the arm, which then gets lifted up.

"They (the bunker officials) are looking at this over and over again before they announce their decision while we generally have one replay.

"We don't have time to clinically examine it like this but the bottom line is that the decision was correct."

The refs didn't decide the outcome though.

It wasn't an epic GF because the Storm couldn't perform at their best. And they couldn't perform at their best because Penrith played exceptionally, all across the park.

People complaining about ref calls are the worst; especially after watching a dominant team, dominate.

Do you think it was a try?

I'll await your apology in the morning when we see the footage...
I’ve got nothing to apologise for.

Quite clearly made the point if they had other vision they could have said that. If you weren’t carrying on like a flog and actually had a civil discussion with those of us talking about it you’d know that.

Do you think it was a try?
I've seen the angle where it clearly looks like it was grounded.

I've seen the angle where it clearly looks like the arm is under the ball.

At the time I thought it was a try. Afterwards I think it wasn't a try.

Who the **** knows?

But one referee decision does not a game make. I've always held that belief. I will always hold that belief.

And I'm comfortable with my position :)

I moved from NSW to Tassie in Feb so I haven't really watched any League this year and honestly supporting Melbourne is no fun if NSW people aren't there to get upset about it so if you say that's how its been ruled all year I'll believe you. But it clearly hits the ground. Its ****en obvious. If they're not paying those tries well ... that's the NRL its no better than the AFL as far as incompetent/sus sports admin goes.

It was a try tho, even if they haven't paid them all year.

They came out after round 2 or 3, was early on forget exactly what round it was and basically said there has to be 100% conclusive proof to overturn any call whether it be bunker, captains challenge or whatever. Do I agree with this interpretation probably not but I get it as the benefit of the doubt interpretation became farcical for all fans.

What should have happened in my view was coming back inconclusive and most fans would get that ruling.

It is a shame that we are not talking about the epic GF between the Top 2 Teams

Nobody wants to see Officials decide/ affect outcomes like they did tonight
I know. The reality is even with that try Penrith would probably still have won.

Who the **** knows?

But one referee decision does not a game make. I've always held that belief. I will always hold that belief.

This is a pretty fair position.

I certainly thought he got it down on review and it still ****ing looks like he gets it down to me. Happy to concede the bunkers got more angles also don’t have any issue with people who think he didn’t get it down (save for one flog).

Just can’t understand how the game with hundreds of millions in a broadcast deal can’t make a bunker decision definitive on the biggest game it’s got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who the **** knows?

My original post that you quoted on said “decide/ affect the outcome”

It was a significant moment in a low/scoring contest

Who the **** knows?

Yep even if it was allowed Penrith scored again and they probably score if need be in the last 10 with all that territory they were gifted, Penrith were smashing the Storm in the middle and out wide.

I know. The reality is even with that try Penrith would probably still have won.
Almost certainly. Absolutely dominated all the stats that matter.

The big talking point probably should be Munster and Hughes being so completely ineffective when it mattered.

Papi was quiet (as were Coates and Warbrick) but they’re always a bit reliant on others work.

They could have … BUT we will never know what would have happened

They came out after round 2 or 3, was early on forget exactly what round it was and basically said there has to be 100% conclusive proof to overturn any call whether it be bunker, captains challenge or whatever. Do I agree with this interpretation probably not but I get it as the benefit of the doubt interpretation became farcical for all fans.

What should have happened in my view was coming back inconclusive and most fans would get that ruling.
That's fair enough but if you held a gun to my head and asked me was it a try I'd say yes.

Cos it looks obvious to me.

It was still a great game, its a pity we're talking about that decision and not Penrith's epic two point win to claim their fourth GF in a row.

The big talking point probably should be Munster and Hughes being so completely ineffective when it mattered.

Papi was quiet (as were Coates and Warbrick) but they’re always a bit reliant on others work.

Papenhuyzen had an off year. Injuries got him. Munster and Hughes had shockers.

Thought Munster was still Melbournes best but we sort of saw how unfit he was was cooked halfway through the second half.

Feel Melbourne missed a trick not having Christian Welsh start the game. The starting prop being gassed after 10 mins was not great

My original post that you quoted on said “decide/ affect the outcome”

It was a significant moment in a low/scoring contest
Yep. Fair.

And in a game of League a try/no try is of significant consequence. And yes, great teams like the Storm play with a type of momentum that is generated from tries like that.

But I'm still comfortable that the decision didn't affect the outcome. Especially given the latest vision that gives more weight to the no try call.

That's fair enough but if you held a gun to my head and asked me was it a try I'd say yes.

Cos it looks obvious to me.

It was still a great game, its a pity we're talking about that decision and not Penrith's epic two point win to claim their fourth GF in a row.

It may well have been a try not saying it wasn’t, but the way it’s ruled this year was never going to be overturned. As phantom said the bunker has 20+ angles fans only see a couple of them

Thought Munster was still Melbournes best but we sort of saw how unfit he was was cooked halfway through the second half.

Feel Melbourne missed a trick not having Christian Welsh start the game. The starting prop being gassed after 10 mins was not great
I’m agreement with you on the try/no try mostly. Absolutely not on Munster, completely ineffective tonight. Few good efforts on defence (and one really poor one). Kicking did nothing, no pep in the run and very little creativity.

Grant was the storms best by a country mile.

Yep. Fair.

And in a game of League a try/no try is of significant consequence. And yes, great teams like the Storm play with a type of momentum that is generated from tries like that.

But I'm still comfortable that the decision didn't affect the outcome. Especially given the latest vision that gives more weight to the no try call.

IF the correct call was made, I will feel a lot better about the result

It is a disappointing way to finish such a great Season

I’m agreement with you on the try/no try mostly. Absolutely not on Munster, completely ineffective tonight. Few good efforts on defence (and one really poor one). Kicking did nothing, no pep in the run and very little creativity.

Grant was the storms best by a country mile.

Grant for me had a good first 20 and did nothing after that wasn’t alone though. Munster had a good let’s say 60 odd mins wasn’t a player in the Melbourne side that played well the whole game. The second rowers Katoa and the other one were abysmal after having sensational years.

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL NRL 2024 - Grand Final Melbourne vs Penrith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back