NRL NRL 2024 - Grand Final Melbourne vs Penrith

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what is worth a discussion in all sports

Should we Forget "benefit of the doubt" forget going with umpires call unless it's "definitive".

If you're going with a review system, maybe go with simple probability or don't bother at all.
I actually think refs should be able to send it to the bunker without an on field call.

Klein was in absolutely no position to make a call one way or the other on that try (and often for burrow and pile on tries refs arenā€™t).

If he sends that up without a ā€œsoftā€ call and the bunker just does its assessment I reckon it makes more sense.

Under the current set up the Howarth one being no try is probably the right outcome, Iā€™m still yet to see anything that makes the decision definitive though.

I actually think refs should be able to send it to the bunker without an on field call.

Klein was in absolutely no position to make a call one way or the other on that try (and often for burrow and pile on tries refs arenā€™t).

If he sends that up without a ā€œsoftā€ call and the bunker just does its assessment I reckon it makes more sense.

Under the current set up the Howarth one being no try is probably the right outcome, Iā€™m still yet to see anything that makes the decision definitive though.
In other words, if it's questionable enough to need a review in the first place, because the ref isn't sure (or a challenging captain/coach depending on the sport), then it's fair to ignore the on-field call and solely rely on the superior evidence provided by the cameras and slow-mo.

This is what is worth a discussion in all sports

Should we Forget "benefit of the doubt" forget going with umpires call unless it's "definitive".

If you're going with a review system, maybe go with simple probability or don't bother at all.

NRL tried that it became so farcical and drove fans mad. Itā€™s is why now we have the system where the bunker only overrules if itā€™s a complete howler by the on field. This wasnā€™t a howler 50/50 at best and the refs call was supported

This so much this. No issue with the bunker process and I want refs making calls. However plenty of times they are dead set guessing. Should be able to say, Iā€™ll send this up as no try but I donā€™t know.

In other words, if it's questionable enough to need a review in the first place, because the ref isn't sure (or a challenging captain/coach depending on the sport), then it's fair to ignore the on-field call and solely rely on the superior evidence provided by the cameras and slow-mo.
Sort of.

Current rules for this and cricket etc arenā€™t like that though.

This so much this. No issue with the bunker process and I want refs making calls. However plenty of times they are dead set guessing. Should be able to say, Iā€™ll send this up as no try but I donā€™t know.
Iā€™m actually stunned how often they get the bomb contests right tbh.

Two blokes clatter into each other, who touches it first is critical, itā€™s incredible they get it right so often. The Howarth one is really funny to me because in real time I thought there was absolutely no way he got it down, then in the replay I was sure I was wrong and he did. Expecting to see it reviewed a few more times and they just called it off and not with an inconclusive but rather a ā€œheld upā€ call I was shocked.

Under the current system no try is probably right it just seemed like a very very quick review to be so definitive (unless they have the reverse angle or a low angle showing a gap)

Iā€™m actually stunned how often they get the bomb contests right tbh.

Two blokes clatter into each other, who touches it first is critical, itā€™s incredible they get it right so often. The Howarth one is really funny to me because in real time I thought there was absolutely no way he got it down, then in the replay I was sure I was wrong and he did. Expecting to see it reviewed a few more times and they just called it off and not with an inconclusive but rather a ā€œheld upā€ call I was shocked.

Under the current system no try is probably right it just seemed like a very very quick review to be so definitive (unless they have the reverse angle or a low angle showing a gap)

Yeah look Iā€™m assuming they have the angle that is showing a clear gap we donā€™t see the 20+ angles they have. That said though why it wasnā€™t sent back as inconclusive was surprising as thatā€™s what they have done all year

Penrith are just brutal. A team that just give nothing away defensively and don't make many mistakes when they have the ball.

Thought they didn't look as strong this year and Storm looked good. Was quietly confident Storm would prevail on the night, but not to be.

Four premierships in a row over four different opponents- outstanding from Penrith.

As we go grey/greyer, we will be lucky enough to reminisce with one another and future league fans about two truly great dynasty teams- Penrith 2020-24 (so far) and Queensland 2006-17. Suspect geography will have a hand in which story we tell!

Hughes was really unimaginative and predictable with his kicking (like most games)

He should have taken time to watch Jocelyn Kelleher for the Roosters putting up wicked bombs in the NRLW grand final, high, twisting, floating, moving, spiralling, wicked things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does, until you see the other angle and the arm is under the ball.
His arm can still be under the ball whilst it touches the ground. The intial movement when he goes down his arm is under the front half of the ball and it looks very very much on the angle we have seen that the back part of the ball gets to the ground.

This is the issue, if the other angle shows that it didnt get down then just show us that.

Hughes was really unimaginative and predictable with his kicking (like most games)
Biggest takeaway I had was the lack of chase by Storm players.

Almost all of Melbourne kicks went unchallenged allowing Penrith players to comfortably mark the ball without pressure.

And the opposite happened when Penrith was kicking. They chased hard and forced Storm into multiple errors.

His arm can still be under the ball whilst it touches the ground. The intial movement when he goes down his arm is under the front half of the ball and it looks very very much on the angle we have seen that the back part of the ball gets to the ground.

This is the issue, if the other angle shows that it didnt get down then just show us that.
The second angle they showed on the night I think showed enough doubt. Obviously I am not the most impartial person in this instance but the second I saw that second angle I thought it looked held up.

The second angle they showed on the night I think showed enough doubt. Obviously I am not the most impartial person in this instance but the second I saw that second angle I thought it looked held up.
Thats fair. I dont really have any bias, i dont support either team.

I struggle to understand anyone saying that from the angles weve seen they can definitely say he didnt get the ball down (opposed to what your saying here that there is doubt about whether he got it down).

I think the first angle looks very clear it gets down which is really why it being such a short review and the bunker noting they saw it held up (not inconclusive) is bizarre to me.

The outcome of no try is probably right but it feels like the process was all wrong.

Also the broadcaster and NRL seem to be saying they have another definitive angle that none of us have seen but the bunker did. Cool story, just show us that angle, put the whole convo to bed.

Encouraged by comments here, I just watched the women's GF. I knew the standard would be good, I've watched some of the Origin games, but it really was a cracking contest. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL NRL 2024 - Grand Final Melbourne vs Penrith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back