NRL panicked in Sydney!

Remove this Banner Ad

billy big ears

All Australian
Aug 31, 2003
The NRL are so scared of getting a poor crowd for the Warriors game this weekend that they are GIVING away 10,000 tickets to NZ passport holders! what a ****ing joke that sport is. LOL

Originally posted by billy big ears
The NRL are so scared of getting a poor crowd for the Warriors game this weekend that they are GIVING away 10,000 tickets to NZ passport holders! what a ****ing joke that sport is. LOL

Its not the first time its been done.

The fact they aren't playing a Sydney based team in the Raiders won't help ticket sales either..Who'd go watch Freo vs Crows in Melbourne?
Why so green and lonely

we always knew it was a joke:

> swans take over stadium australia
> best & fairest night cancelled
> finals ticket give aways
> comp's leading team stripped of premiership points for salary cap breaches

whats next? i beleieve they will enter a combined NRL team into the AFL.....

Originally posted by captain ebert
we always knew it was a joke:

> swans take over satdium australia
> best & fairest night cancelled
> finals ticket give aways

whats next? i beleieve they will enter a combined NRL team into the AFL.....

whats with all the good press in sydney then?

some headlines ive seen are along the lines of best NRL season ever?

their rating are still fairly healthy arent they?

Re: Re: NRL panicked in Sydney!

Originally posted by Disgustipated
Its not the first time its been done.

The fact they aren't playing a Sydney based team in the Raiders won't help ticket sales either..Who'd go watch Freo vs Crows in Melbourne?

Maybe so but the AFL would never stoop to giving away tickets to a FINALS game.
Dont forget Sydney is supposed to be the world headquarters of RL!

Originally posted by understudy

Thats the News Ltd papers. News Ltd is slowly trying to di-vest itself of its RL comitments, starting with the Storm next year, therefore talking up the "share price".

BTW, They also gave away free tickets to NZ-passport holders last year and only a couple of thousand took them up on the offer.

They need to play home finals past week one.

Originally posted by billy big ears

seems fair enough to me, is there anything wrong with this?

its better to have a full stadium than an empty one i would of thought, for imagine value and promoting the game. subject to maximising the revenue for the league of course.

my solution is put all tickets on ebay.

the afl should have perhaps given tickets away for the port adelaide finals this year, reduced their price or perhaps just put them on ebay and let the highest bidders attend.

thoughts?

i go to a rugby dominated school in queensland and all rugby people will talk about the afl beofore they even mention the nrl becuase of the poor way the nrl played finals with big margins - 1vs 8 ect it dosent make good tv and isnt exciting

Never, ever discount, it just cheapens your barand.

All people will do is hold of purchasing on the basis that they will get them cheaper later.

NRL is a TV sport and as the atmosphere is not great people prefer to stay home and watch it on the TV. Its problem is it has no way forward:

1. Domestically - rooted to NSW and QLD, cannot grow outside these states
2. International - no real competitors, Union has taken over off-shore.
3. Grass Roots - gradually being eroded by Soccer and AFL for various reasons.

Future, merge with Union.

Originally posted by grayham
BTW, They also gave away free tickets to NZ-passport holders last year and only a couple of thousand took them up on the offer.

A fact probably wouldn't go amiss here. Vodafone gave out 10,000 tickets in two hours last year. NZ Warriors owner Eric Watson then bought another 10,000, which were also taken up. The NRL wouldn't let him have any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by understudy

beat up from the News Limited Press to try and get some interest back into their game.

The main thing saving League at the moment is the amount of interest generating in 4 games of footy a year - State of Origin I, II and III along with the Grand Final......

the other thing is they are playing in the two of the biggest capitalcities in the country. But with the Lions slowly taking over Brisbane and the Swans looking poised to take the Sydney public by storm..........the NRL would be ****ting themselves something fierce!!

Originally posted by Clayton
I think we can safely say that if the swans can fly a flag over the harbour city and continue to rate well and draw 50k+ crowds to there blockbuster games the NRL is as good as dead.

If my uncle was a woman, he'd be my aunty. :rolleyes:

The Swans won't draw 50,000 unless they're playing as well as they are right now. When the excitement dies down, I'd guess there will be 20-25k at Swans games. That's still a healthy core support (16k wasn't unusual a couple of years ago) but it's a bloody long way from killing off the NRL.

When 50k turn out for Swans vs Freo on a wet winter night, there might be cause for the NRL to be worried.

Originally posted by Dean Moriarty
A fact probably wouldn't go amiss here. Vodafone gave out 10,000 tickets in two hours last year. NZ Warriors owner Eric Watson then bought another 10,000, which were also taken up. The NRL wouldn't let him have any more.

Yep, exactly right - also it isn't the NRL that are buying and giving away tickets but the owner of the Warriors and Vodafone. See here: http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?ArticleID=7120

Originally posted by Andrew Mc
Yep, exactly right - also it isn't the NRL that are buying and giving away tickets but the owner of the Warriors and Vodafone. See here: http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?ArticleID=7120

Irelevant. If vodaphone and the warriers owner are paying for tickets, thats money that they wont be spending on sponsorship or the team. Its all swings and roundabouts.

The fact is, that they cant get a crowd unless they give away tickets.

I always thought that facts were pretty relevant myself.

Perhaps the NRL are encouraging it, but it is not the NRL who are giving away the tickets.

The Warriors are doing it to give themselves closer to a 50-50 crowd. Its great promotion for the Warriors within Australia and Vodafone.

Some of those Kiwis living in Sydney who don't usually go to the NRL and who get free tickets might go along to more games in future.

Nothing wrong with it. Smart self marketing by the Warriors and we all know that crowd support can be a factor in team performance.

The NRL might be under pressure, but this is not their reaction to it.

Irelevant. If vodaphone and the warriers owner are paying for tickets, thats money that they wont be spending on sponsorship or the team. Its all swings and roundabouts.

The fact is, that they cant get a crowd unless they give away tickets.

So far as I can see, they are spending it on the team. Think of the $'s people will possibly spend on merchandise, etc if they do attend the game. Also think of the money that the team will get back anyway as a percentage of ticket sales (including the 10000 "freebies") goes to the club. Vodafone have just grabbed $'s in publicity that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise, so their cost (which would be a tax write-off anyway) has just had a benefit. And of course the Warriors get some "away" support. Swings and round-abouts indeed...

As for not getting a full house, well, I guess they can go to Adelaide if they want that...

LOL

Vodafone by 10,000 tickets - they are going to get a bloody good discount on them, so they're spending between, I would say, $100k and $200k.

In terms of Vodafone's sports sponsorship budget, that's ridiculously small. They get the payoff in goodwill, promotion opportunities, having their name all over the papers in connection with it, and even from people posting on internet forums about it.

As for Eric Watson (Warriors' owner), he rich as Croesus by all accounts - he won't miss it, especially if the extra support gets his team over the line.

Originally posted by Dean Moriarty
LOL

Vodafone by 10,000 tickets - they are going to get a bloody good discount on them, so they're spending between, I would say, $100k and $200k.

In terms of Vodafone's sports sponsorship budget, that's ridiculously small. They get the payoff in goodwill, promotion opportunities, having their name all over the papers in connection with it, and even from people posting on internet forums about it.

As for Eric Watson (Warriors' owner), he rich as Croesus by all accounts - he won't miss it, especially if the extra support gets his team over the line.

Stupid. The old "money grows on trees" line.

It may shock you but rich entities budget their money very carefully. Thats partly why they are rich in the first place.

Originally posted by napsyd
I always thought that facts were pretty relevant myself.

Perhaps the NRL are encouraging it, but it is not the NRL who are giving away the tickets.

The Warriors are doing it to give themselves closer to a 50-50 crowd. Its great promotion for the Warriors within Australia and Vodafone.

Some of those Kiwis living in Sydney who don't usually go to the NRL and who get free tickets might go along to more games in future.

Nothing wrong with it. Smart self marketing by the Warriors and we all know that crowd support can be a factor in team performance.

The NRL might be under pressure, but this is not their reaction to it.

RL is under pressure, and this is there reaction to it. Its a bit too convenient for your argument to divorse the NRL from the Warriors or a major RL sponsor. They all fall under the NRL competition banner.

Free tickets never work. Swans and Bears, Storm, etc can attest to that. As someone said, all it does is devalue your product, and provide ammunition for the opposition.
In a finals game it points to a code on the ropes, especially as there will be 80,000 people down the road who will have paid $60+ each.

Originally posted by morgoth
Have to give away tickets!!!!! WTF, sounds like the Edelsten Swans!
The crowds were definately propped up in those days and that is why they never released gate takings. That's a long way from big matches in a well established competition though. RL giving away tickets would be about as worrying for them as it could get right now. The biggest sport in tne biggest population centre and they cant get bums on seats. The guys that run the comp will be crying.

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL panicked in Sydney!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back