Number of games Victorian teams are playing in Melbourne in 2017 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I've found the right bike.
Latest-Model-Motorbike.jpg
Got to be a push bike.

upload_2017-1-17_9-46-36.jpeg

Go when it's foggy, no-one will notice.

The kicker really is the home ground advantage in the GF. You could be the best team in the league as an interstate team, but come GF day.. You've suddenly become an underdog. As far as I'm aware, AFL is the only sport in the world that practices something like this. Would be crucified to the moon if this happened in the NFL/NBA/NHL over in the big leagues of USA.
we do use the same rules as NFL almost. the rules in the NFL state that the minumum capacity for a stadium to host the superbowl is 70k. it just happens that pretty much all the stadiums are that size, because the teams are all privately owned by billionaires who can afford to build stadiums. we don't have the infrastructure or the money to do that. i guess we could use anz stadium but people do nothing but complain about that place. sydney can't get away from there fast enough.

for the record: even with the last 4 grand final wins being a victorian beating an interstate side, the interstate sides still have a winning record when playing victorian sides in the GF.

Not that I don't trust your figures, but where did you get them from?

Footywire has a split tab for every side comparing home stats vs away stats.

we do use the same rules as NFL almost. the rules in the NFL state that the minumum capacity for a stadium to host the superbowl is 70k. it just happens that pretty much all the stadiums are that size, because the teams are all privately owned by billionaires who can afford to build stadiums. we don't have the infrastructure or the money to do that. i guess we could use anz stadium but people do nothing but complain about that place. sydney can't get away from there fast enough.

for the record: even with the last 4 grand final wins being a victorian beating an interstate side, the interstate sides still have a winning record when playing victorian sides in the GF.
I think the last 4 stat is meaningless when the Hawks won three.

And the MCG isn't Western Bulldogs or Geelong's home ground either, but they still won flags there.
Yeah but your point was Man U has the equal most FA cup wins, despite not being a London Based team. Of course not having the MCG as your home ground doesn't eliminate your chances of winning the GF. But it's a hell of an advantage. If Arsenal had Wembley as their home ground for the past 30 years, it would make a hell of a difference.

HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE ON GRAND FINAL DAY

Victorian teams have never and WILL never be underdogs/underprivileged minorities. You don't and never will understand our struggles.
Doesn't deserve capitals. In GF's v Vic opponents, Adelaide is 2-0, Brisbane is 3-0, Sydney are 1-2, Freo were ill equipped in their game, and Port took on one of the best sides in footy history. You guys are 2-2, and the two you lost were to us, a team who knows how to f### anyone up in a GF, 8-1 in GF's since Essendon won their double in 1985. Take us out of the count, 8-6 in favour of the interstaters, and it becomes 8-2, one of those Vic wins being battle hardened North v finals virgins Sydney, to go with the unstoppable Cats. You guys need to worry about making the GF before sulking about who lives there every other day - in any case, because you would have needed to beat that disadvantage ten times throughout the regular season to get to the top, the point becomes moot, because an Eagles side on GF day has demonstrated conclusively that it can handle anyone anywhere...as long as it shows up...

As for your struggles, what a load of shit. You have wealth and power. You have an impregnable home advantage. You insist on being located 3000km away from civilisation, so stop crying over plane flights. You have a case for more sides in Perth based upon demographics, but no right to insist that other clubs face the axe when they positively contribute to the product, and all of your WAFL sides are still running around as intact entities. West Australian footy fans have the capacity to be the biggest whingers in Australian sport, egged on by that stupid newspaper which is only rivalled by the Courier Mail for blatant parochial horseshit articles, so get back in your box...

It's certainly possible if you have the right bike and wind conditions. I've done rides down to Bunbury from Perth many times in short times.

Go on then tell us how long it took. If you've legitimately ridden from Bunbury to Perth you'd know your fastest time to the second off by heart.

Yeah but your point was Man U has the equal most FA cup wins, despite not being a London Based team. Of course not having the MCG as your home ground doesn't eliminate your chances of winning the GF. But it's a hell of an advantage. If Arsenal had Wembley as their home ground for the past 30 years, it would make a hell of a difference.

Premierships won by MCG Tenants:

- North x 2 (one Vs interstate club)
- Essendon x 2 (both Vs Melbourne clubs = no advantage)
- Collingwood x 1 (Vs Melbourne Etihad club = slight advantage)
- Hawthorn x 4 (all Vs non-Melbourne clubs)

So basically you're just having a whinge because Hawthorn had a dominant era. Geelong plays Hawthorn at the 'G every time so no advantage there. Sydney were warm favourites in 2014 and beat them there in the GF two years earlier (when Hawthorn was the higher ranked team and had a day less to prepare), so no complaints.

Then we have the two WA teams. Freo only lost by 15 points and were the lower ranked team, so no issue anyway. Then we get to your one real complaint, which is West Coast's pathetic effort in 2015 :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think even when I was a little kid it was 9 home games at our ground and everyone was allocated to play 2 home games at VFL Park, except maybe Geelong?
Sydney were exempt from all H&A VFL Park matches when they relocated. They wanted 11 games broadcast from Sydney on Sunday throughout the season, back in the day when everything was all about night time replays and blackouts and "protecting local footy" on a Saturday arvo...! Everyone else played two home and two away games at VFL Park each season from 1982-86, perfect symmetry which got messed up a bit when the league expanded. Sydney still avoided VFL Park, outside a few games against Footscray and Carlton, until the Hawks and Saints made it their home ground in the 1990's...

You and your mates should go to the Olympics.

The current record for distance traveled in 1 hour is some nobody called Bradley Wiggins who managed 54.526km (who did it in a velodrome, and was presumably paced).

So Always Ballin thinks he can do ~50% further, in half the time, out in the open.

Sure...

And then there is the cost of the state of the art velodrome required, millions spent in the development and manufacturing of the equipment used, more millions of dollars in biomechanics and training to develop his form and condition him to be able to do it, plus millions more spent in "other" areas that UK Postal shovel funds.

But who are we mere mortals to dare doubt the super human abilities of OP.

Doesn't deserve capitals. In GF's v Vic opponents, Adelaide is 2-0, Brisbane is 3-0, Sydney are 1-2, Freo were ill equipped in their game, and Port took on one of the best sides in footy history. You guys are 2-2, and the two you lost were to us, a team who knows how to f### anyone up in a GF, 8-1 in GF's since Essendon won their double in 1985. Take us out of the count, 8-6 in favour of the interstaters, and it becomes 8-2, one of those Vic wins being battle hardened North v finals virgins Sydney, to go with the unstoppable Cats. You guys need to worry about making the GF before sulking about who lives there every other day - in any case, because you would have needed to beat that disadvantage ten times throughout the regular season to get to the top, the point becomes moot, because an Eagles side on GF day has demonstrated conclusively that it can handle anyone anywhere...as long as it shows up...

As for your struggles, what a load of shit. You have wealth and power. You have an impregnable home advantage. You insist on being located 3000km away from civilisation, so stop crying over plane flights. You have a case for more sides in Perth based upon demographics, but no right to insist that other clubs face the axe when they positively contribute to the product, and all of your WAFL sides are still running around as intact entities. West Australian footy fans have the capacity to be the biggest whingers in Australian sport, egged on by that stupid newspaper which is only rivalled by the Courier Mail for blatant parochial horseshit articles, so get back in your box...

Gee you sound like a Victorian lashing out against anyone who points out the inequities in the AFL system. I know you're not a Victorian so it seems rather funny, in a weird sort of way.

Calling anyone who points out those inequities, a whinger is fine , But it's easy when the cards are stacked in ones own favour.

Reminds me of the Castle scene in the Monty Python Holy grail movie. "Whose castle is this'?

Its an easy call from the ramparts.

GF will always be there. As it should.

But it is an advantage to Victorian teams who play in it.

Just because, according to the wins, they fail to take advantage of it most of the time doesnt change a thing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Totally this,not taking advantage of an advantage isn't a proper argument to keep getting an advantage.

Premierships won by MCG Tenants:

- North x 2 (one Vs interstate club)
- Essendon x 2 (both Vs Melbourne clubs = no advantage)
- Collingwood x 1 (Vs Melbourne Etihad club = slight advantage)
- Hawthorn x 4 (all Vs non-Melbourne clubs)

So basically you're just having a whinge because Hawthorn had a dominant era. Geelong plays Hawthorn at the 'G every time so no advantage there. Sydney were warm favourites in 2014 and beat them there in the GF two years earlier (when Hawthorn was the higher ranked team and had a day less to prepare), so no complaints.

Then we have the two WA teams. Freo only lost by 15 points and were the lower ranked team, so no issue anyway. Then we get to your one real complaint, which is West Coast's pathetic effort in 2015 :$
Your right about one thing.. WCE's pathetic effort in 2015. We didn't lose because we played at the G that day. And I'm not having a whinge at finals being played at the G. I've stated that I would not want this to change. My point is that like it or not, it is a clear advantage to play the Grand Final at your own home stadium and I was pointing out that your Wembley comparison was an inaccurate one.

Gee you sound like a Victorian lashing out against anyone who points out the inequities in the AFL system. I know you're not a Victorian so it seems rather funny, in a weird sort of way.

Calling anyone who points out those inequities, a whinger is fine , But it's easy when the cards are stacked in ones own favour.

Reminds me of the Castle scene in the Monty Python Holy grail movie. "Whose castle is this'?

Its an easy call from the ramparts.
I actually agree with him. We have a shocking record at the G, but all interstate entries have had to deal with that. Apart from the last three they have. The Suns and us are stll new so dont really count.
I think it's for us to sort our issues at the G, and not helpful to blame everyone else for the game being held there. It's a grass oval like every other.

Some proven troll-thread starter successfully kicks off a victorian offended session..

Reading through this thread it seems like some Victorians are every bit as capable at having a whinge and a moan as the troll OP is having.

Anyways:
Until somone builds a decent 70k AFL stadium at an absolute minimum there is no point in debating where the GF should be held.

But at the same time there is no point in denying that the team who doesn't have to travel on GF day has the advantage - but it can't be helped.

Some proven troll-thread starter successfully kicks off a victorian offended session..

Reading through this thread it seems like some Victorians are every bit as capable at having a whinge and a moan as the troll OP is having.

Anyways:
Until somone builds a decent 70k AFL stadium at an absolute minimum there is no point in debating where the GF should be held.

But at the same time there is no point in denying that the team who doesn't have to travel on GF day has the advantage - but it can't be helped.
Actually ANZ has the capacity, but wont be an AFL stadium much longer. You guys and SA have the best argument, with your own strong Aussie rules traditions, but not currently the stadium.

Essendon: 16/22
Richmond: 16/22
Carlton: 16/22
St Kilda: 16/22
Melbourne: 16/22
Hawthorn: 12/22
Geelong: 16/22
North: 14/22
Collingwood: 17/22
Bulldogs: 14/22

Fun Fact: Melbourne doesn't leave Victoria until round 8.

Surprised to see Hawthorn so low, and Collingwood higher than the rest. Although, Hawthorn seems to have to most gimmick stadium locations (Tasmania), so that has seemed to have affected their total.

What do you make of this?

What's surprising about Hawthorn?

They sell 4 home games to tassie. Add them back on they're 16 like the rest.

We play Port in Ballarat. What's the bike riding time from MCG to Eureka Stadium, and how does that compare to the flying time of an African Swallow, allowing for the fact the swallow can fly in a straight line? Please supply graphs to supplement your answer. Time starts... Now!

Pretty confident I could cycle to Ballarat inside 20 mins

Remove this Banner Ad

Number of games Victorian teams are playing in Melbourne in 2017 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back