saggers

Senior List
Jan 27, 2003
Pennant Hills
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Canucks, Niners, Everton
game suited carlton's desire to treat this as a mickey mouse touch football game. saw nothing from them to be scared of, still rely on judd and fev. look forward to playing them where there is tackling involved.

ziebell is just pure class, love him already. wellsy was playing the way we have always expected.

cj was terrible. don't think much of thompson or thomas.

kick ins were the usual debacle, hopefully laidley made a decision to show nothing.

midfield worries me. no place for simmo, power, rawlings and harro in the same side. it basically says, your midfield is better than ours but we'll see if we can minimise the damage.

on a side note, judd is the new kb, takes on 4 tacklers, lets go of ball and wins the free.

channel 7's love affair with carlton was hilarious, if they finish above us i'll call cameron cloke a footballer.

We need to work on our kick ins. Structure was terrible. And our movement into our forward line was laughable tonight.

Same story with our defence... Good forwards must love playing us.

As frustrating as it was to watch this, its only pre season, and still a few weeks to work on things. Unfortunatly the negatives far outway some good positives from tonight.

Been saying this for a while now. Nothing will change this undeniable fact.

carlton owned the middle of the ground tonight but i would hope that simmo being in would put a stop to that. still need more midfield run though.

game suited carlton's desire to treat this as a mickey mouse touch football game. saw nothing from them to be scared of, still rely on judd and fev. look forward to playing them where there is tackling involved.

ziebell is just pure class, love him already. wellsy was playing the way we have always expected.

kick ins were the usual debacle, hopefully laidley made a decision to show nothing.

midfield worries me. no place for simmo, power, rawlings and harro in the same side. it basically says, your midfield is better than ours but we'll see if we can minimise the damage.

on a side note, judd is the new kb, takes on 4 tacklers, lets go of ball and wins the free.

channel 7's love affair with carlton was hilarious, if they finish above us i'll call cameron cloke a footballer.

hope this is for all over the ground. didnt look like we had any structure/game plan either that or the boys havent taken to a new plan.

What i don't understand is how Judd cannot be touched, and can dispose of the ball in any way he see fit, but Harvey can be barrelled and not get a thing from the maggots.
Are not the rules there for ALL players?
And Harvey is such a dirty player too...it make so much sense...:eek:

Here are mine:

Corey Jones will win an oscar for his depiction of a witches hat after tonights game. He needs a huge rocket, because he was ordinary last year, and he cant expect to keep his place, if a) He doesnt chase, b) Turns the ball over for every posession he gets.

Scott Thompson...... If Laidley isnt playing him as a Key Defender, he surely cant play him as a running defender. He just doesn't have the skills on him, nor the pace or composure for that role. Im all for trying him out at FB. But not as a HBF, its laughable, seeing as we have 5 players better suited for that role.

When Urquhart started getting involved in the game, we started moving with some conviction from the backline.... Basically, we need he and JWS in the same side, badly.

Jack Ziebell.... enough will be said. He is a huge chance for the Rising Star this year.

Liam Anthony... stick him on a HBF or a wing and leave him there for 22 games, with some actual gametime. He played about 35% of the game tonight, after starting as a sub, then manning the bench, and still managed, 12 touches, which all i could see were 100% effecient. He makes good decisions, is quick, and has neat skills.

We cant tolerate bad skills anymore, teams crucify you on the turnover more than ever before.

I wish Tarrant was fit, as it would give Laidley a reason to play a natural forward. Hale looked good, but was devoid of any help. When Laidley decided to shift Dish to CHF (the last 5 minutes of the last quarter) he actually straightened us right up.

P.S: Aaron Edwards would have been perfect for tonight................... yeah.

Hansen. I am probably the only one who liked his game. I think hes in for a good season (and showed he is 300% more comfortable at CHB)

Looks like holding the ball will be non-existent this year.

The few NAB Cup games I've seen the player can get tackled, drop the ball and get paid a free kick for holding the man.

The Nick Steven's one was atrocious and the Fevola free kick machine was in full swing.

I observed man love from umpires for C Judd.

Yeah. The guy gets a very good run there's no doubt. My fave was when he took possesion, handballed away while Rawlings was tackling him and Brady was pinged for holding him - all this by an upire fifteen meters behind Rawlings. He couldn't even see the ball. The umpiring was a spectacle in horror tonight both ways though. What a pity Collingwood whinged so much after we beat them last year, now I have to watch umpires bounce the ball multiple times just for fun. Yey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made my observations in the Match thread...but am i the only one that thought Thompson played well and finally looked like he belonged??

Not necessarily at Fullback but Watt better watch out!!

Here are mine:

Hansen. I am probably the only one who liked his game. I think hes in for a good season (and showed he is 300% more comfortable at CHB)

mate you have to be kidding. look chances are no one will take me seriously given some of my posts against north melbourne ( sorry but the rivalry is strong in me) but hansen was pathetic tonight. very few touches, spoils, sheperds or 1%ers. he shoud be filthy on himself and hopefully for his sake he has a look at himself and becomes a better fooballer from it. he wasn't the lone ranger by any means but it's not the performance i was expecting from the up and coming young gun we all think he is.

mate you have to be kidding. look chances are no one will take me seriously given some of my posts against north melbourne ( sorry but the rivalry is strong in me) but hansen was pathetic tonight. very few touches, spoils, sheperds or 1%ers. he shoud be filthy on himself and hopefully for his sake he has a look at himself and becomes a better fooballer from it. he wasn't the lone ranger by any means but it's not the performance i was expecting from the up and coming young gun we all think he is.

I must of day dreamed the half dozen or so spoils he made and the dozen or so possessions in the second half.

He was shithouse in the first half, dont get me wrong. But was much improved in the second.

Agree with all. We have a lot of work to do to get the right mix in the middle, but even it its current shape we will account for Carlton comfortably next time we play them.

Just hope we haven't killed the membership drive tonight.

BUT if we are wrong and we are in deed in for a shit year, then Laidley will not be renewed - simple as that.

Here are mine:

Corey Jones will win an oscar for his depiction of a witches hat after tonights game.

Scott Thompson...... If Laidley isnt playing him as a Key Defender, he surely cant play him as a running defender.

When Urquhart started getting involved in the game, we started moving with some conviction from the backline.

Jack Ziebell.... enough will be said.

Liam Anthony... stick him on a HBF or a wing and leave him there for 22 games, with some actual gametime.

Aaron Edwards would have been perfect for tonight................... yeah.

Pretty much spot on IMO Pikey. Hansen looks comfortable in the backline, but not anywhere else yet. I thought turtle started terribly but got better. Pratt and Gibbo looked out of sorts.

The big thing was that I think Laidley got the selection all wrong for the forward line. With Jones terrible and Hansen moved back, we looked a key forward short. With Edwards out surely Smith would have been the answer there. Goldy and Hale together in the forward just seems ridiculous.

I agree completely, Hanson was exactly 300% more confident in his role, and for the first time didn't seem to be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. He's built better and he knows his role better. Tonight he played because he deserved to be there rather than because he was picked at number 3 in the draft. Some of his spoils were fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

obervations from tonight's game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back