Obesity Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

#teamscotland

If people could be bothered educating themselves, they would quickly realise what is required to be healthy. It's not rocket science. It's simply a matter of laziness and/or ignorance. Our lives are seem to be getting busier, working longer hours etc. But if you take the time out to cook your meals each day, you're halfway there.

There are obviously those people who take it to the extreme with all the specific diets (Paleo, LCHF etc), but that isn't for everybody. I absolutely watch what I eat every day, prepare all my meals, and still eat a tonne more than the regular overweight person. And here I am at a very heathy/fit 184cm, 83kg.

They do bring the average down to a slightly less alarming figure than it otherwise would be.
Do you really think they're being accounted for? I don't know how these kinds of statistics are collected, but I work with these 'skinny meth heads and junkies' and I can say with 100% certainty that no data has been requested on our end.

These are my clients, not the staff. A few coffees + a bowl of cereal and it quickly adds up. I had my mind blown just yesterday, after two years of working there, calculating how much we go through.

Id be inclined to start looking for a sugar thief myself. Those numbers seem a bit high

always made a point of never adding sugar to anything (coffee etc). still hasn't made me skinny, but i think it's prevented me from being twice as big at least.

These are my clients, not the staff. A few coffees + a bowl of cereal and it quickly adds up. I had my mind blown just yesterday, after two years of working there, calculating how much we go through.

That's a soup kitchen or something of that ilk IIRC? They're probably just happy to get whatever they can, and they're proven poor decision makers so it's probably not too surprising.

Interesting thread.

I was a kid who played sports, participated in everything in PE at school. I'd come home from school and get changed and head off to the park to play football or cricket, and not come home until dinner. Then head back out until it was dark. We were lucky to have takeout once a week, if that. Very little soft drinks. But I was always a bigger kid. Not huge but I was always carrying more weight than anyone else.

Some of the attitudes in this thread have a huge bearing on why overweight people don't get out and excercise, call it finding excuses or whatever you want. But when you're a bigger person and see people like in this thread, constantly using terms like "fat campaigners, lard asses, lazy campaigners, disgusting etc" your self esteem takes a hard hit, and I'll tell you now, hearing things like that do not make you want to go out there and go for a walk, ride, run, or hit up a gym. It makes you more self conscious about going to a gym for an example and having all those fit people looking at you and judging you thinking the same things. Who wants to put themselves in situations where they perceive people to be judging and making fun of their appearance.

Now I'm not going to say I'm not to blame for my situation. I got lazy and having a job and a car, the 5 minute trip to a McDonald's was the quick easy option. Stupid on my part I know. Soft drinks were killers for me, and the older I get going out more with friends after a night out or something, they head in to grab some food and it's a case of yeah I'm a bit hungry I'll grab some. Lack of will power on my behalf.

I'm currently trying to change my lifestyle. Cutting out soft drinks, cutting out sweets. I'm also trying to learn what foods I should be eating, cooking and storing chicken breasts etc to have for meals rather than ordering a pizza for example.

More needs to be done to educate people on healthy options, more on where healthier foods can be found. Your average person won't know to go look for smaller butchers or what not. They'll go to what they know and buy it from Coles or Woolworths.

People can say some of what I said is a cop out, or utter bullshit. But there's too many people ITT thinking oh I did it, it's easy to out and excessive and eat right fatty. Honestly, **** you. You do more harm than good to someone who may want to change. People who are overweight aren't happy being overweight. Then they are insulted and made to feel like shit and revert back to comfort eating. It's a tough road and they don't need campaigners like you making it that bit harder for them. They know they're fat. They don't need you judging and laughing at their weight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the attitudes in this thread have a huge bearing on why overweight people don't get out
and excercise, call it finding excuses or whatever you want. But when you're a bigger person and see people like in this thread, constantly using terms like "fat campaigners, lard asses, lazy campaigners, disgusting etc" your self esteem takes a hard hit, and I'll tell you now, hearing things like that do not make you want to go out there and go for a walk, ride, run, or hit up a gym.
This one at least is bullshit. Gym's in general are very accepting of the overweight (at least in Australia and the one's I've been too). Those overweight and there are generally fully supported as they've realised they need to fix a serious issue and are doing something about it.

This one at least is bullshit. Gym's in general are very accepting of the overweight (at least in Australia and the one's I've been too). Those overweight and there are generally fully supported as they've realised they need to fix a serious issue and are doing something about it.

I'm not saying they aren't. But after years of being ridiculed for your weight, you lose self confidence and are less likely to go to a gym. The people at the gym may be fine and 100% supportive, but when all you've had is jokes made at your expense you're less likely to go.

always made a point of never adding sugar to anything (coffee etc). still hasn't made me skinny, but i think it's prevented me from being twice as big at least.

Don't evolve then.

There are two forks to the diet and exercise mantra IMO. And no, fatties, not two forks for eating.

The first is 'I've tried eating well and exercising and it isn't working'. This is where dieticians and doctors come in. Everyone is different, but if you are trying then you will be open to trying new things.

The second is 'I haven't tried...'. This baffles me. If you don't care about your own wellbeing then that's one thing, but if you do and won't do anything about it... the only way to break a cycle of feeling sorry for yourself is to do something.

But when you're a bigger person and see people like in this thread, constantly using terms like "fat campaigners, lard asses, lazy campaigners, disgusting etc" your self esteem takes a hard hit, and I'll tell you now, hearing things like that do not make you want to go out there and go for a walk, ride, run, or hit up a gym.

I've lost 30kgs in the last year by doing a lot of walking and jogging. I was terrified at first for the reasons quoted above, but you soon find out no one really gives a stuff about you. In the past year I have walked/jogged hundreds of hours, in all that time a grand total of 3 people have spoken to me - all positive, telling me they noticed how much weight I lost and keep going etc.

Obviously it's part luck and you could go for a jog tomorrow and someone could drive past and call you a fat campaigner but it's not the end of the world. In my experience 99% of people are too wrapped up in their own lives to care what you are doing, and the 1% who do notice are actually positive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Obesity Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back