Official Ashes 2006-07 Team Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The 4 things that need to happen in the next 12 months if we want to regain the A

GoSydneySwans said:
Interesting you say that actually, because this is the way I see our pace bowling attack at the moment.

1. McGrath
2. Tait (looking towards the future, he is our best prospect by a fair way.)
3. Gillespie
4. Kasprowicz
5. Bichel
6. Rofe

I didn't list Lee there because saying that I rate him No. 7 wouldn't be true, I seriously don't think he's done enough to be ahead of those performing well in domestic competitions. He's done well against West Indies and hasn't really been anything to write home about against South Africa.
Lee's 5/93 in the first innings against South Africa at the WACA doesn't rate?

Rating Gillespie, Kasper, Bichel and Rofe ahead of Lee is just silly.

3 of them are finished. The other has never played at international level.

Re: The 4 things that need to happen in the next 12 months if we want to regain the A

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Lee's 5/93 in the first innings against South Africa at the WACA doesn't rate?

Rating Gillespie, Kasper and Bichel ahead of Lee is just silly.
Did you see the 5 wickets?

He only deserved one.

Re: The 4 things that need to happen in the next 12 months if we want to regain the Ashes

apollo_creed said:
That's not his point.

Hodge has a long way to go before even being close to a world class number four. Leave your bias out of this. Or could it just be that you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about?

What bias and what's with the insults?

GL said Hodge needed to become a world class #4 my point was he has done everything so far that has been asked of him

Cooldude said:
Warne got a debut after 8 first class matches

McGrath I think after 12

It really means ******** all
Exactly.

So selectors give Cossie a test cap!

YOTC said:
Did you see the 5 wickets?

He only deserved one.
He bowled Gibbs, had Rudolph caught in close and trapped Pollock lbw. Which of those didn't he deserve?

What does it man to deserve a wicket? Were the batsmen out to incorrect decisions? Did they go out slogging in the search for quick runs?

Cooldude said:
Warne got a debut after 8 first class matches

McGrath I think after 12
Those guys were young, talented players at a time when Australia didn't have much going in the bowling stakes.

Dorey is 28 and has played a good half-season.

Tait and Rofe should be ahead of him.

Re: The 4 things that need to happen in the next 12 months if we want to regain the Ashes

Agree with some of what you have to say, My key points would be to get young players in there now! It's not just the next ashes series Australia has to think about but the years to come after that, the current players while very tallented won't go on for ever. It is essential that we not only blood but continue to play at least one or two young guys picked based on potential and obviously form, under the age of 25!

Gunnar Longshanks said:
He bowled Gibbs, had Rudolph caught in close and trapped Pollock lbw. Which of those didn't he deserve?

What does it man to deserve a wicket? Were the batsmen out to incorrect decisions? Did they go out slogging in the search for quick runs?
The Gibbs was a lucky inside edge. Rudolph was caught thanks to Langers brilliant work and he bowled Pollock (which was the one he deserved)

Dorey has been in some form, but is 28! Deserves a shot, would prefer to see the likes of Tait, all-though raw he is one for the future. Along with Cossie!

guess_who said:
Agree with some of what you have to say, My key points would be to get young players in there now! It's not just the next ashes series Australia has to think about but the years to come after that, the current players while very tallented won't go on for ever. It is essential that we not only blood but continue to play at least one or two young guys picked based on potential and obviously form, under the age of 25!
Bollocks.

We should pick the best players available.

When Hussey saved our @rses today, did you think "he's 30 years old and might not be around very long, so he probably shouldn't be in the side"?

What about when Hodge scored his 203*?

It's about who can perform right now.

And we have enough guys aged 25-30 who have the experience and technique that picking 21 year-olds purely on potential would be ridiculous.

Are you talking about any batsmen apart from Cosgrove?

Which other young batsmen would you like to see in the Test side, and who should they replace?

Bear in mind that Hussey, Hodge and Ponting can all play for another 4-5 years. We then have Clarke, 24, Cosgrove, 21, Jaques, 26, and Haddin, 28, waiting in the wings.

These calls to start pursuing a youth policy are horribly misguided. Pick the guys who are good enough. It doesn't matter if they don't all play 100 Tests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Paul Rofe is the guy who's next in line for me.

He's 24 and has been pretty good for a couple of seasons.

If Rofe and Tait can play a few Tests, or even ODIs, in the next 12 months, I'd feel a lot more confident heading into the Ashes.
I just think hes ahead of Dorey, the amount of crap posted about him is premature and im stating that there are many bowlers ahead of him. In the eyes of the selectors i think this is there pace rankings.

1. Glenn Mcgrath
2. Brett Lee
3. Shaun Tait (when fit)
4. Nathan Bracken
5. Stuart Clark
6. Michael Lewis

I have doubts that anyone outside these 6 pacee bowlers will be playing come the Ashes next year unless an abnormal amount of injuries occur. I'd like to see Rofe and Wise get a go before then along with Cosgrove or Hussey Jnr ahead of Clarke on the batting side of things but they'll all get there chance to impress ahead of the ashes in the Australia A series mid next year.

guess_who said:
Dorey has been in some form, but is 28! Deserves a shot, would prefer to see the likes of Tait, all-though raw he is one for the future. Along with Cossie!
Hang on a second.

On one hand, you want us to give young guys a run. You want us to pick guys under 25 on potential.

But then you start calling for a 28 year-old who has played 11 FC matches to be given a Test berth.

Wouldn't Paul Rofe, 24, be a better option seeing as he's taken 25 wickets at 24.36 this season?

Do you see the inconsistency in your arguments?

1. Glenn McGrath
2. Brett Lee
3. Shaun Tait
4. Brett Dorey
5. Paul Rofe

Then the gap drops IMO.

F/D said:
1. Glenn McGrath
2. Brett Lee
3. Shaun Tait
4. Brett Dorey
5. Paul Rofe

Then the gap drops IMO.
Hooray somebody posted something Sane.

Even the South Africans know about Doreys talents. Even handy with the bat (avging 20 this year, scored a century for freo) (i'm sure its freo)

F/D said:
1. Glenn McGrath
2. Brett Lee
3. Shaun Tait
4. Brett Dorey
5. Paul Rofe

Then the gap drops IMO.
All the people getting excited about Brett Dorey should be equally excited about Allan Wise.

Both have really emerged this season. Wise debuted in 03/04, while Dorey debuted last season.

Wise has taken almost as many wickets from one less match (22 compared to 26). He has a significantly better average and has been more economical. He's also 2 years younger.

Do people just overlook these facts?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
All the people getting excited about Brett Dorey should be equally excited about Allan Wise.

Both have really emerged this season. Wise debuted in 03/04, while Dorey debuted last season.

Wise has taken almost as many wickets from one less match (22 compared to 26). He has a significantly better average and has been more economical. He's also 2 years younger.

Do people just overlook these facts?
Wise has a team of good bowlers backing him up. I know a couple of times he has done it solo but pretty much every first innings its Dorey picking up the early wickets and the rest cleaning up the tail.

He is a one man wrecking crew, and Casson shines in the 2nd innings.

He would be perfect in tandom with Lee and Warne.

YOTC said:
Wise has a team of good bowlers backing him up. I know a couple of times he has done it solo but pretty much every first innings its Dorey picking up the early wickets and the rest cleaning up the tail.

He is a one man wrecking crew, and Casson shines in the 2nd innings.
That's a lame excuse.

If Dorey is the only decent bowler then no-one else is going to take the wickets. He can clean up the tail and end up with embellished figures.

If Wise is in a good bowling side, then it's quite possible that other guys are going to clean up the tail and leave Wise with less flattering figures.

Last I checked, only one guy bowls at any time.

Give Wise his credit. His figures are better than Dorey's but no-one is talking about him. Wise has also been more economical, which is exactly what we need with Lee in the side.

It's clear that McGrath won't be the factor next year he was in the past ; certainly not the thorn in England's team. I'm not sure if England is being overrated in that the sort of attack they now have (providing they stay fit), is quite suited to Aussie conditions. If Perth is as quick as it traditionally as been, not like this year's atypical wicket, they will probably have more firepower. There's a chance that on some of the surfaces they can get the reverse swing going as well. On balance they are younger and regaining the Ashes will give them confidence, before there was a bit of aura surrounding the Aussies which went beyond their obvious prowess. Good fast bowlers actually like bowling in ozland most of all.

I tend to agree with picking the guys who can do the job now, but what I'm saying is that Cricket is a big cycle, once these players are not up to it any more, young in-expirenced players will have to replace these guys... That is all well and good assuming that the players in the wings are good enough to step up at the next level, but personally I think that in all sports were the future needs to be looked after the team should play one or two young guys!!

Of course there is no point playing young guys for the sake of playing young guys, they have to be up to it and not be a burdan on the side because the rest of the batting line up or bowlers are carrying them!!!

I see how my arguement about Dorrey is stupid, I agree on picking guys on their performance! At the same time I think that guys who are performing at test level regardless of age or fitness or what not should keep their place!
Where I have a problem is when a players past or rep keeps them in the side! If you are out of form then you should not be playing in the national team, I think Australia needs to have 3-4 players who can come it at any time replacing guys in the current team who are out of form, not quite a rotation policy but having a core group of 15 or so players making up your national side!

Gunnar Longshanks said:
That's a lame excuse.

If Dorey is the only decent bowler then no-one else is going to take the wickets. He can clean up the tail and end up with embellished figures..

If Wise is in a good bowling side, then it's quite possible that other guys are going to clean up the tail and leave Wise with less flattering figures.

Last I checked, only one guy bowls at any time.

Give Wise his credit. His figures are better than Dorey's but no-one is talking about him. Wise has also been more economical, which is exactly what we need with Lee in the side.
Yeah but the rest take cheap wickets with the tail going for the slog (RE: Lee)

I am giving Wise credit, he has saved Victoria a couple of times this year, but it's easier taking wickets when the rest of the side is too.

First Class Career Bowling averages
Code:
                          mat  balls  runs  wkts  bbi  ave  econ  sr 
Allan Wise                21   3971   1836   73  6/89 25.15 2.77 54.39 
Paul Rofe                 53   11733  5323  180  7/52 29.57 2.72 65.18
Brett Dorey               11    2391   1110  49  7/87 22.65 2.78 48.79

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Ashes 2006-07 Team Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back