Official Ashes 2006-07 Team Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Ashes 2006-07: How will the side look?

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Gilchrist
Symonds
Warne
Lee
MacGill
McGrath.

Pitch decides on one of MacGill/Tait playing.

Jacques and Hodge the two to be closest to that lineup.

meh.. oh how time flies post 05 Ashes

Lets presume that Langer, Hayden, Ponting, M Hussey, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath are automatic selections. This leaves Hodge, Jacques, Clarke, Symonds, D Hussey (Darkhorse), Tait, Lee, Bracken, Lewis and MacGill to fight for the other 4 spots

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hodge/Jacques
M Hussey
Clarke/Symonds/D Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Tait/Lee
Bracken/Lewis/MacGill
McGrath

my how time fly's and opinions will change i was readin the early posts people had put in around september etc. saying that hussey culdnt hack it as an opener and hence putting katich there now look hussey is our best batsman form wise at the moment and katich isnt even in the side as for the ashes side it will hardly change to the side that is playing this summer 12 months isnt that long the core player group will still be there and id classify hussey as a core player now ov course his average isnt going to stay over 100 but he looks like he belongs at test level and england were the ones that were so suprised that we took so long to play him

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Jaques
Clarke
Hussey
Gilchrist / Haddin
Warne
Lee
Tait / MacGil (Depends what pitch)
McGrath

12th Man Cullen

Lee, Ponting, Hussey, Warne and Clarke only certainties IMO.

McGrath could be injured. Langer, Gilchrist and Hayden out of form - getting too old. Jaques competing with Hodge and Cosgrove.

Stafford678 said:
Langer
Jaques
Clarke
Hussey
Ponting
Watson
Haddin
Warne
Lee/Tait
McGrath
Bracken

12th Tait/Lee or Hodge

ponting WILL not be at 5 !!!!!!

eddiesmith said:
We would love to play that side
I'm sure Australia at home will be really scared of a travelling side who's just been whipped by Pakistan away, and soon to be annihilated by India.

Eddie I don't even support Australia, but in Australia they could put out almost any side from a group of about 70 players and smash England. ENGLAND ARE NOTHING AWAY. Wow! You beat South Africa, they're nothing either.

I hope the India-England series is on television, BigFooty thought Pakistan-England was amusing, it'll be like watching an episode of Seinfeld watching the joke that is England annihilated by the super-talented Indians.

Name a current 2nd Aus XII (disregarding injuries) and then work out how many could conceivably find a spot in the side by this time next year (I say conceivably because, for example, there's no way Lehmann will get another run regardless of his form). Other than the middle order, there's not many openings in the current Test side for these guys.

Eg:

Jaques
Rogers
Katich
Martyn
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Gillespie
Cullen
Kasprowicz
Tait
Lewis
Of that side, I'd only give the middle order and maybe one fast bowler (probably Tait but maybe Gillespie) a chance of breaking into the side by November 2006.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

POBT said:
Name a current 2nd Aus XII (disregarding injuries) and then work out how many could conceivably find a spot in the side by this time next year (I say conceivably because, for example, there's no way Lehmann will get another run regardless of his form). Other than the middle order, there's not many openings in the current Test side for these guys.

Eg:

Jaques
Rogers
Katich
Martyn
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Gillespie
Cullen
Kasprowicz
Tait
Lewis
Of that side, I'd only give the middle order and maybe one fast bowler (probably Tait but maybe Gillespie) a chance of breaking into the side by November 2006.
Jaques
Rogers
Katich
D.Hussey
COsgrove
Clarke
Haddin
White
Lewis
CLark
Tait

Of that side, Jaques and CLarke would be chances to get back in at the expense of an opener and SYmonds respectively, Lewis and Tait would be strong chances to knock off Bracken by then or could see McGrath injured

Bourky23 said:
my how time fly's and opinions will change i was readin the early posts people had put in around september etc. saying that hussey culdnt hack it as an opener and hence putting katich there now look hussey is our best batsman form wise at the moment and katich isnt even in the side as for the ashes side it will hardly change to the side that is playing this summer 12 months isnt that long the core player group will still be there and id classify hussey as a core player now ov course his average isnt going to stay over 100 but he looks like he belongs at test level and england were the ones that were so suprised that we took so long to play him

its called fickle people bourkey. or people made to eat humble pie more to the point. :p

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Cosgrove
Jaques
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Clark
McGrath

12th man Michael Clarke

This is the side i would want against England next summer (it is based on current form)

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Symonds/Clarke
Gilchrist

Warne
Lee
Bracken/Macgill
Mcgrath

If Andrew Symonds can get his act together with the bat then i think he deserves a spot.

Very interesting times ahead.

apollo_creed said:
Really inventive and thoughtful there LsD.
So Apollo, what do you think the Aussie side will look like?

Elliott
Blewett
Ferguson
Cosgrove
Lehmann
Borgas
Manou
Cullen
Gillespie
Tait
Rofe

Guess that would be your Aussie team?

Of course England would dispatch with that team with ease

Keep in mind that the Hussey brothers may both be in one of the teams within a year or two. I'd say David Hussey may be in with a chance for the One-Day team (seeing that he's a better player in the One dayers going by form).

Alot of left handed batsmen in the future isnt there?

The 4 things that need to happen in the next 12 months if we want to regain the Ashes

1. Blood at least one young quick at international level

If Nathan Bracken is our third best fast bowler in November 2006, we're screwed.

Shaun Tait would probably have played a fair bit of Test cricket this summer had it not been for injury. I'd expect him to go to South Africa in March and he will no doubt be in the mix for next summer.

But I think Tait is still pretty raw, and can be expensive. I'm not sure he and Brett Lee in the same side would be a good idea. That's why I think someone like Paul Rofe, 24, should be given an opportunity before the Ashes.

He may not be required to play. Bracken, Tait and the old-stagers like Lewis and Clark might be the preferred options, but it's time to start pushing through a young crop of quicks regardless. You never know when Glenn McGrath will step on a cricket ball and hurt his ankle.

2. Find a #6 who actually looks like scoring runs

If we're still experimenting with an all-rounder who can't bat or bowl, we're screwed.

At the moment, I think Jaques is the guy who should be given a run at #6. Of all the batsman in Australia who aren't part of the regular Test line-up, Jaques is the best. That said, there are other options. The next 12 months needs to be spent working out who the best candidate is. I expect it to come down to Jaques or Clarke; at least in the next 12 months.

Jaques will eventually open the batting, and I think it would be good if he could have 20-odd Tests under his belt before that promotion is made necessary by the retirement of Langer or Hayden.

In the short term, we need a reliable batsman lower down the order. Our middle order has been fragile for a while now, and I think a settled line-up needs to be in place by the time the Ashes start.

3. Hodge needs to become a world-class #4

His 203* was great, but if Hodge's supporters are still talking about that innings in 10 months, we're screwed.

Hodge needs to go on and make a pile of runs between now and the Ashes. I rate him highly as a batsman, and I think he is the right guy to replace Damien Martyn at #4. He's compact, with a good technique and a sound temperament.

What remains to be seen is whether he can come out and score runs consistently. It's pretty clear that Hussey has stepped it up a gear after his ascension to the Test side. Now Hodge has to do the same.

If Hodge is scratching around for runs and merely holding it together when the Ashes roll around, I think it will end badly. We really need a guy who is dangerous and who bats with authority at #4. Hodge has looked good in patches, but pretty average at other times.

How consistently Hodge makes runs will be a key in Australia's 2005-06 Ashes campaign.

4. The Gilchrist Factor

If Gilchrist continues to average 20-odd for the next 12 months and is still in the side for the Ashes, we're screwed. Well, not quite - but it wouldn't be ideal.

I think Gilchrist is a champion, and will eventually come good, but timing is everything. An in-form Gilchrist at #7 would be a huge advantage for Australia.

Either Gilly needs to find his best form in the next 6 months, or a call needs to be made on his career. The reality is that Brad Haddin is a bloody good replacement, so Gilchrist can't afford to be out-of-form indefinitely.

I really hope Gilly gets it together and is ready to go by next November. But I'm also aware of how damaging it would be to carry a washed up senior player, while a guy in his prime watches from the sidelines.

I think the rest of this series against South Africa, and also the return leg, will tell us a lot about how much longer Gilly will be around for. He's one innings away from being back to his best. I just hope we don't have to wait 10 months for that innings to come.

Re: The 4 things that need to happen in the next 12 months if we want to regain the Ashes

Gunnar Longshanks said:
1. Blood at least one young quick at international level

Agree.

If Nathan Bracken is our third best fast bowler in November 2006, we're screwed.

Very true. He's a good first class bowler but he has had a number of oppurtunties to show his talent at test level and he just isn't a good test match standard bowler. Lacks pace, and IS NOT a swing bowler. Simply not good enough. A decent one-day bowler but even then he still isn't up to international standard.

Shaun Tait would probably have played a fair bit of Test cricket this summer had it not been for injury. I'd expect him to go to South Africa in March and he will no doubt be in the mix for next summer.

He definitely would have and he's unfortunately he's missed out on the oppurtunity to make a name for himself in the team this summer.

But I think Tait is still pretty raw, and can be expensive. I'm not sure he and Brett Lee in the same side would be a good idea. That's why I think someone like Paul Rofe, 24, should be given an opportunity before the Ashes.

I prefer Dorey ahead of Rofe and Lewis. But Rofe's age is his main advantage along with his consitency over 3 or 4 seasons.

And I just don't rate McGrath as an A-grade bowler anymore. He may have a good game every now and then but I don't think he's in the top 5 test-match fast bowlers in the world anymore.

Re: The 4 things that need to happen in the next 12 months if we want to regain the Ashes

Forgot to mention Dorey so i didn't read the rest.

Dorey has everything in the kitty. Rofe is good too.

A Dorey/Tait/Rofe bowl off against the next minnows we face.

YOTC said:
Forgot to mention Dorey so i didn't read the rest.

Dorey has everything in the kitty. Rofe is good too.

A Dorey/Tait/Rofe bowl off against the next minnows we face.
At the moment in my opinion Australia's best fast bowling three is Lee, Tait and Dorey. In that order.

I don't rate McGrath in the top 3 quick bowlers in the country at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Ashes 2006-07 Team Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back