News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the talk about the nutty President, Mark Evans has been put there to run the show. He isn't going to have his hands tied by that dude.
Geelong and the Gold Coast have had even longer than Adelaide and Geelong to sort this out between them. This could be wrapped up on Day 1 of Trade like Danger.

Caro says:

A significant stumbling block has emerged in the path that would lead Gold Coast champion Gary Ablett back to Geelong to complete his illustrious AFL career.
To fulfil the final year of Ablett's contract, which runs until the end of next season, Geelong would have to pay its former champion an estimated $500,000.

Gold Coast power brokers are understood to be determined the Cats would also have to provide compensation for the heavily front-ended contract by trading a younger player to the Suns and covering some $300,000 of that player's wage.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/gary-abletts-path-back-to-geelong-cats-hits-hurdle-20170713-gxaw2m.html

Gee Caro is a drama queen sometimes.

Ablett is on between 500k-1mil. We wear most if not all of his salary. We trade a contracted player to GC (say for example GHS) and we pay 200k of his salary in 2018 (this is basically what richmond and GWS did with deledio).

It's not a stumbling block at all.

Oh and caro Gaz will be at Geelong or he will be retired in 2018, get with the program.

In that case enjoy retirement Gary.

For us it is simple, we rock up with what we can feasibly afford to part with, if it is rejected then we stand firm to see if they buckle. If not we buy Gary some board shorts and a travel brochure for his retirement travels.

I pretty well agree. He made his own bed by signing a three year deal so it's for him to enjoy the consequences. If GC 'force' him to retire then he has no one to blame but his and his manager's lust for the lucre. I expect GC to play really hard ball over this one and I doubt it will suffer any serious medium term issues by doing so. I'd like to see GAJ play for a year or two with Geelong but not at the expense of upsetting morale or the Cap.

I pretty well agree. He made his own bed by signing a three year deal so it's for him to enjoy the consequences. If GC 'force' him to retire then he has no one to blame but his and his manager's lust for the lucre. I expect GC to play really hard ball over this one and I doubt it will suffer any serious medium term issues by doing so. I'd like to see GAJ play for a year or two with Geelong but not at the expense of upsetting morale or the Cap.

My thoughts exactly

If they play hardball over gaz it will really affect their ability to attract top talent down the road. He is 33 they wont win a flag before he retires they are not top 4 so the 'not strengthening a top 4 competitor' argument doesnt apply he is going home for family reasons after carrying GC on his back for years. Even if they only get a token pick for him getting his salary moved allows them to get good players in like they did with witts lyons etc last year. There is no reason to push him into retirement (and they know thats the outcome if they push for a deal that doesn't make business sense for wells) except pure spite and if they do that A graders will be thinking 'do i really want to go to a club that treats its longest servants like that'.

Contrast that with how we let guys like Chapman SJ Pods Hunt and Hawthorn with Mitchell and Lewis get to where they wanted to go even though they got basically nothing out of each trade (as it was the right thing to do) and you see why they are clubs players want to go to.

It's obvious what GC should do so hopefully there is pragmatism on their end, for their future as much as anyone's.

Ablett is on between 500k-1mil. We wear most if not all of his salary. We trade a contracted player to GC (say for example GHS) and we pay 200k of his salary in 2018 (this is basically what richmond and GWS did with deledio).

Oh and caro Gaz will be at Geelong or he will be retired in 2018, get with the program.
I think the Deludio deal was a bit different wasn't it?
GWS took the player while Rich got compensation with a R1 pick. Not sure if Richmond are paying his wage.

All mentioned in the article could be coped with but if we are paying the wages and giving a young player , I'd think it would be fair to get access to a kid on the draft to balance the loss. GC have plenty of picks.

I think the Deludio deal was a bit different wasn't it?
GWS took the player while Rich got compensation with a R1 pick. Not sure if Richmond are paying his wage.

All mentioned in the article could be coped with but if we are paying the wages and giving a young player , I'd think it would be fair to get access to a kid on the draft to balance the loss. GC have plenty of picks.

Richmond paid 200k of his salary in 2017 in exchange for GWS giving them a better pick (our first rounder). This worked for both parties as rich got a better deal and GWS lacked cap space. My point is we could easily do the same with any fringe player we traded to GC (a point Caro seems to overlook).

Richmond paid 200k of his salary in 2017 in exchange for GWS giving them a better pick (our first rounder). This worked for both parties as rich got a better deal and GWS lacked cap space. My point is we could easily do the same with any fringe player we traded to GC (a point Caro seems to overlook).

I agree but Id think if we take Ablett and give a player , and pay for both ..if think it would have to involve a pick or a pick upgrade somewhere. Losing a player like a Lang etc would need more compensation than 20 games from a 300 game player.

He is 33 going on 34. He has won more games for them than any other player has for any team in the last decade. By a fair margin. Service rendered. Suns management need to get their heads out of their arses. Its a selfish attitude, and that attitude permeates down through the club into the team - it is obvious. He has done enough for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having read Caros article, we should just walk away and let GAJ retire or stay up there. No way i want the club to give up a young player and significant coin for him.

My support for this move was always because it seemed it would be in Gold Coasts best interests to let him walk so they can improve there Salary Cap to keep and attract younger players or free agents. If that were true, we could've got him in essentially the same way that Mitchell moved to West Coast. However, if that is now not possible, then the club should simply walk away.

Unless the deal coming back our way is incredibly generous then the move should no longer be considered. And by generous i mean what we get in addition to the 33 year old with a busted shoulder and dodgy hamstrings.

He is 33 going on 34. He has won more games for them than any other player has for any team in the last decade. By a fair margin. Service rendered. Suns management need to get their heads out of their arses. Its a selfish attitude, and that attitude permeates down through the club into the team - it is obvious. He has done enough for them.
If we were to give up a fringe player or two, I'd be asking for Ablett and hall or day. If we got hall and motlop left we wouldnt lose too much there either.
Eg lang and kolo in exchange for ablett and hall.
Then hall ablett and smith could have their prayer sessions again and both parties satisfied.
They get two players who could play each game and are young. We get two highly skilled players, one as quick as motters or faster. One legend of gfc and footy. We have room to bring in another young player if motters leaves. Perhaps a young key forward by using motters compo and carlton round two to get a first rounder.
Im excited by what might transpire in trade and fa period this year.
Pipedreams are great but this year will be crazier than previous years.
Take full advantage of the gold coast review
First though, the 2017 flag.

If they play hardball over gaz it will really affect their ability to attract top talent down the road. He is 33 they wont win a flag before he retires they are not top 4 so the 'not strengthening a top 4 competitor' argument doesnt apply he is going home for family reasons after carrying GC on his back for years. Even if they only get a token pick for him getting his salary moved allows them to get good players in like they did with witts lyons etc last year. There is no reason to push him into retirement (and they know thats the outcome if they push for a deal that doesn't make business sense for wells) except pure spite and if they do that A graders will be thinking 'do i really want to go to a club that treats its longest servants like that'.

Contrast that with how we let guys like Chapman SJ Pods Hunt and Hawthorn with Mitchell and Lewis get to where they wanted to go even though they got basically nothing out of each trade (as it was the right thing to do) and you see why they are clubs players want to go to.

It's obvious what GC should do so hopefully there is pragmatism on their end, for their future as much as anyone's.

^this. they are crazy to act like hardballers on this. will do far more damage to their "club" than letting him leave on his own terms.

The O'Meara situation has taught them to become greedy. They will argue that they hold all the cards, but the reality is that even if they win (I.e. GAJ retires) they lose.

I reckon if McKenna was in charge, the deal would have been done fairly. But Eade is a bristly aggressive character who would do it for spite. His comments after Abletts great game two weeks ago were atrocious.

If we were to give up a fringe player or two, I'd be asking for Ablett and hall or day. If we got hall and motlop left we wouldnt lose too much there either.
Eg lang and kolo in exchange for ablett and hall.
Then hall ablett and smith could have their prayer sessions again and both parties satisfied.
They get two players who could play each game and are young. We get two highly skilled players, one as quick as motters or faster. One legend of gfc and footy. We have room to bring in another young player if motters leaves. Perhaps a young key forward by using motters compo and carlton round two to get a first rounder.
Im excited by what might transpire in trade and fa period this year.
Pipedreams are great but this year will be crazier than previous years.
Take full advantage of the gold coast review
First though, the 2017 flag.
Love these suggestions. I agree. Both teams need to lose something for it to be fair. And really, that's all I would ask for, a 'fair' outcome for both clubs.

Why would we pay both abletts contract and the player we trade to the gold coast?

Wouldn't you feel giving up a contracted star player for nothing would be stupid?

Gaz may be the difference in the Cats winning another flag but some on This forum dont want to give up anything for him, can you see how that may seem selfish from another point of view?

Some have pointed to the Hawthorn Mitchell and Lewis trades but that is a very different situation, their club asked if they would move on to fit in no knees O'Meara and gave them up for nothing to free up cash. GC don't need to free up cash and he is a required player.

Basically all I am saying is the deal needs to work for both clubs, I don't blame you for dreaming of getting him for nothing as every team forum does it

Wouldn't you feel giving up a contracted star player for nothing would be stupid?

Gaz may be the difference in the Cats winning another flag but some on This forum dont want to give up anything for him, can you see how that may seem selfish from another point of view?

Some have pointed to the Hawthorn Mitchell and Lewis trades but that is a very different situation, their club asked if they would move on to fit in no knees O'Meara and gave them up for nothing to free up cash. GC don't need to free up cash and he is a required player.

Basically all I am saying is the deal needs to work for both clubs, I don't blame you for dreaming of getting him for nothing as every team forum does it

Its not selfish its reality look at what other 33yos are traded for. There are many reasons why his trade value is very small including the fact that he will retire if no deal is done.

It makes no sense for geelong to trade anything significant for him. As i said GC have no reason to refuse to trade him cheap other than spite as even clearing his salary is a win for them. You seriously telling me freeing up cash to retain lynch next year or recruit experienced players is of no benefit to them? If they want to harm their reputation and make it harder for them to recruit players later on thats their choice.

FWIW i think ashcroft and clayton are very sensible if they are allowed to drive it and cochrane is kept out of it the deal will be done quickly and for not much.

Why would we pay both abletts contract and the player we trade to the gold coast?

How much of ablett we have to pay will depend on whether the afl let him alter his contract ala cloke or not.

All i meant was trading a fringe player we dont need (for example a ghs type) and paying a bit of their salary to get it done i would do but i wouldnt trade anything significant for ablett.

Remove this Banner Ad

News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

Back