Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

tugga177 said:
jocks netballers it was just like a u/15 game where no one mans up and tries to stat up. euroa where well in control of the game before the umpises intervened especially the old red head fellow dont know his name but he was one of those who couldnt just umpire he had to be involved and almost ruined the game

Yeah fair call on the umpires. Although a very very contentious goal umpireing decision in the dying stages played its part in rochy not winning the game in the end. I was standing right behind the goals at that end and I garantee you that that ball was not touched!

tugga, who did you boys have out?? I believe rochy played without moon, palmer and one player out of knight/pappin (have forgotten which one). it'd be good to know how far off full strength both sides were...

have heard from a few sources now that the kick from sb in the dieing moments of the last quarter was unlucky not to be awarded a goal.

Ive heard from a good source that the wheels are officially off at Benalla. Not just following last weeks game but previous to that. Whats the go?

Also can anyone offer an opinion about a young bloke who transferred to Mooroopna in the off-season (from the diamond valley league and previously Shepp bears). Named Tremellan. How is he going on the other side of Ah Wong's bridge?

jmain14 i have no link to either team so couldnt tell you if either have players to come back i just follow the gvfl as a whole and try to watch the best game each week. i am wrapt that euroa are going so well this year as i think they cop the short end of the stick from the gvfl admin. more so than any other team in the comp.your thoughts? also they have done well without breaking the bank im told they just got a good group of mates from melb who wanted to play together. i personally think they will go all the way with players like m.clayton gibson lamaro all coming back from injuries and are all guns when fit so they will improve each week going into the finals its hard to see them getting beaten but the game vs mansfield in a few weeks should shead a bit more light on that.seymour are very overrated and shepp just dont have the class to match them so iyhink it will be euroa over mansfield with rochy the dark horse to make the gf.

[ the game vs mansfield in a few weeks should shead a bit more light on that.seymour are very overrated and shepp just dont have the class to match them so iyhink it will be euroa over mansfield with rochy the dark horse to make the gf.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more on the Mansfield front. They are a quality lineup but I did manage to see Seymour towel them up at Seymour so its very difficult to pick. No-one seems to be talking about Benalla anymore? Any news about changes in the coaching staff up there?

re benalla: overated over paid pack of whinges trying to change the system because their cheque book didnt pay dividens. malcolm blight couldnt coach that team to a flag cause they lack talent,skill and most of all spirit

tugga177 said:
so iyhink it will be euroa over mansfield with rochy the dark horse to make the gf.

Rotchy have to make the finals first...and with Seymour, Shepparton @ Deakin and Mansfield among their final four matches, they may only end up with nine wins...a win over the other two gives them 10, and that will be enough...

The last two finals spots come down to three sides:

Kyabram are a chance, they have Tongala, United and Echuca int eh next three weeks but then finish with Euroa and seymour (estimate 3 wins, 12 points taking them to 44 points)

Benella's savious is an easy run home, they have maroopna, swans, bye, tonny then United. (who knows how many they will win, will give them four wins in that run home, they are bound to drop at least one easy one- 16 points taking them to 52 points)

rochester have seymour, bye, tatura, shepparton and mansfield. (estimate 4 wins - which include bye, will win either aginst mans r shepp- 16 pointstaking them to 52 points)

Ky may just miss out but anything can happen, the saints could totally fall in a hole an if rochester drop a few, their percentage may cause them to just miss, kyabram have ok percentage.

Travvy43 said:
The last two finals spots come down to three sides:

Kyabram are a chance, they have Tongala, United and Echuca int eh next three weeks but then finish with Euroa and seymour (estimate 3 wins, 12 points taking them to 44 points)

Benella's savious is an easy run home, they have maroopna, swans, bye, tonny then United. (who knows how many they will win, will give them four wins in that run home, they are bound to drop at least one easy one- 16 points taking them to 52 points)

rochester have seymour, bye, tatura, shepparton and mansfield. (estimate 4 wins - which include bye, will win either aginst mans r shepp- 16 pointstaking them to 52 points)

Ky may just miss out but anything can happen, the saints could totally fall in a hole an if rochester drop a few, their percentage may cause them to just miss, kyabram have ok percentage.

I think its time for the phantom ladder...let me do some calculations...and I'll get back to you all...

Jock's Netballers said:
I think its time for the phantom ladder...let me do some calculations...and I'll get back to you all...

JOCK'S NETBALLERS Fearless Phantom ladder

1. Euroa...(Tatura (h), Shepparton (a), Mansfield (h), Kyabram (a), Mooroopna (h)

The Maggies have a solid run into the finals, but winning form is good form, and at worst will only drop one of these. Deserve to be minor premiers.

2. Mansfield...(Bye, Echuca (h), Euroa (a), Seymour (h), Rochester (a).

A tough run for the reigning premiers, but still have Tranqulli and Hulme to return. Will win three and finish second, one place higher than at the end of the home and away last season.

3. Seymour...(Rochester (h), Tatura (a), Shepparton (h), Mansfield (a), Kyabram (h).

Like Mansfield, have thre clashes against teams in the top six after round 15. Steve Daniel's men should win at least three of these and grab that all important third spot.

4. Shepparton...(United (h), Euroa (a), Seymour (a), Rochester (a), Tatura (a).

The Bears may go into September with just two wins from their finals games, but who says they can't win all five? I do. Will finish fourth.

5. Benalla...(Mooroopna (h), Shepp Swans (a), Bye, Tongala (a), Shepp United (a).

What are the Saints made of. Although playing four teams below them, they can only pencil in one.

Should win all four, but if not, they'll win three and go into the finals in fifth.

6. Rochester...(Seymour (a), bye, Tatura (h), Shepparton (a), Mansfield (h).

Backing them to win at least two of these matches. Lock in Tatura, Eddie, while a Mansfield who've secured second spot by round 20 will be ripe for the picking.

7. Kyabram...(Tongala (a), Shepp United (h), Echuca (a), Euroa, (h), Seymour (a).

The Bombers will sit in the six after this weekend, but will also need to win both against Euroa and Seymour in rounds 19 and 20 to make the six. Unlikely, but have built a firm base for 2005.

8. Echuca...(bye, Mansfield (a), Kyabram (h), Mooroopna (a), Swans (h).

The Murray Bombers are as good as G-O-N-E, and will miss the finals for the first time since 2000. Will need to upset either Mansfield or Kyabram to be a chance. Hit by injuries to key personnel, Dylan Butler's been unable to field his best 21 eery week.

Will leave it at that...everybody else will struggle...

Euroa don't man up that is a known fact. They bomb long to grainger at most opportunities. From what I seen and heard they could be a bit soft not that hard at the ball. Seymour v Mansfield Granny as they have match winners on each line. Mensch is doing it on the bit at the moment and seems to be enjoying his football without the coaching stress. Also Jock I see the Benalla Chq Book Bull**it is back happy to stick the boots back in once Benalla drops a couple of games.

tugga177 said:
re benalla: overated over paid pack of whinges trying to change the system because their cheque book didnt pay dividens. malcolm blight couldnt coach that team to a flag cause they lack talent,skill and most of all spirit

tugga, maybe you could clarify yourself, what do you mean by changing the system, obviously you are privvy to what we pay also, not sure what we are whinging about either. We were simply beaten by a more committed Kyabram on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ANT JESS said:
Best game of GVFL footy i have ever witnessed. Fantastic effort from the Rochy Boys, who probably had one of there weakest sides in for the year. Very unlucky not to have pinched the game too.

I agree 'Pumpa' it was a sensational effort considering Rochy had a few injuries and played 4 Thirds, who played very well.

Spoke to a few Eurora blokes after the game and they were very impressed.

The atmosphere in front of the club rooms was unlike anything I've seen at a Rochy game, and thats including the club's succesful years.

Travvy43 said:
Expect changes from the Tongala Football CLub next year. through the week Peter White announced that he will not be coaching next year. Also this week news has emerged that a move to the Murray League next year is a realistic possibility.

Pretty interesting story in the Age Travvy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Where to? Dark days for Tongala
July 24, 2005

Tongala Football Club is going through the toughest time in its history.
Photo: Pat Scala

Tough times at Tongala Football Club have raised questions about its future, Nathan Ryan reports.

When AFL clubs battle a losing streak, speculation about the future of the coach usually mounts. In country football, however, conjecture about the club's chances of survival is often the point of discussion.

Tongala Football Club is going through the toughest time in its history. The Blues have played in only one finals series since 1991, their last victory was in 2003, and they are struggling to stay afloat in the Goulburn Valley Football League.

Many experts around the Goulburn Valley area believe the town's population of 1200 makes it too difficult for the club to compete in arguably the state's premier country competition. Clubs throughout the Goulburn Valley league are rumoured to fork out more than $150,000 in player payments. Insiders at Tongala said their bill would not tally $40,000, including coaches.

While Goulburn Valley officials have stated they want Tongala to remain in the competition, the chances of the Blues moving to either the Murray Football League or the Kyabram District Football League seem to be gathering support. Three Tongala members, including 300-game utility Daryl Reid, met Murray league officials this week and have agreed to have further talks.

Murray league officials have made no secret of their wish for Tongala to join their competition; the Blues' inclusion would bring the number of Murray league clubs to 12 and cut out the bye. Tongala also had a meeting with neighbouring Kyabram District league club Girgarre earlier in the season about a possible merger, with a view to gaining enough strength to stay in the Goulburn Valley league.

The Blues' committee fears that if the club shifted to a lower standard it would lose promising youngsters who wanted to play in the Goulburn Valley league. The drop from the Goulburn Valley league to the Kyabram and District league would be massive.

Instead of competing against clubs in major rural cities such as Shepparton, Echuca, Benalla and Seymour, they would play against clubs from smaller farming communities such as Undera and Tallygaroopna.

Last year, former Tongala great Des Campbell raised the possibility of a merger between traditional rivals Tongala and Kyabram. The neighbouring clubs, which are only 10 kilometres apart, were enduring tough times and Campbell feared for their survival.

He said Kyabram was interested, while Tongala immediately rejected the idea as ridiculous. "I think they thought they were going to be taken over," he said. "But the bottom line is it's the only option for 'Tonny' to stay in the GVFL.

"The whisper now is the Murray league, but I'm not sure whether that's the right move. Everyone in the area relates to Kyabram more so than Echuca and that way.

"With all due respect to the KDL, it's about as low as you can go, but Stanhope, Nagambie and Rushworth all made the decisions 20 years ago to drop down."

Campbell is regarded by many as the best Goulburn Valley league player ever. A Shepparton United product, he played 50 games as a defender with Melbourne before returning to the Goulburn Valley, where he alternated between Shepparton United and Tongala, coaching both clubs to premierships, United in 1974 and '80 and Tongala in 1983 and '84.

Campbell hasn't acted in an official capacity at Tongala since being chairman of selectors while his son Brad coached the Blues in 2002. Brad Campbell is also a Tongala great, having risen through the junior ranks to win four senior best-and-fairest awards, but the harsh reality of fielding a club in a small rural town hit Tongala supporters when he joined rival club Mooroopna in 2004 after getting an enticing job offer as a graphic designer.

To add to the disappointment, his brother Blake joined Brad at Mooroopna after being delisted by Carlton at the end of last season.

"It's getting harder and harder to survive in the GV and the money has just got out of hand — some players are getting $1200 a game," Des Campbell said. "The strength in Tonny 10 years ago was the amount of good local players, but now there would be only two or three who would get a game at a good GV side."

Tongala stalwart Barry Nexhip was one of Campbell's prime movers in the glory years of 1983 and '84. Now a 45-year-old dairy farmer, Nexhip believes the Blues should move to the Murray league next season, and if it continues to struggle in the Murray league drop a further rung to the Kyabram and District league. He is adamant the club cannot survive in the Goulburn Valley competition.

"From what I can see, the culture of the area has changed," Nexhip said. "Over the past 10 years, all of our good supporters, the dairy farmers and the older blokes who used to put money into the club, have left the area to go to bigger places and the new people into the town don't care as much about the footy club. The club doesn't have the whole town's support any more."

Nexhip played almost 300 games with Tongala and, in 2002, was included in the club's team of the half-century. He served as a committeeman after he had retired.

To illustrate how many people have moved on from the area in recent times, Nexhip said games record-holder Mick Souter, Daryl Reid, Des Campbell and himself are the only members of the 1983 and '84 team who still live in the area.

"The four of us are the only ones left from that era," he said. "When we finished playing footy we all had a turn on the committee, but it was the generation after us that had to put their hand up but never did.

"I get very annoyed at people who have got kids in the club but don't want to be involved because it's too hard. A lot needs to be sorted out at the top of the club — they've got to get the management right."

The Blues suffered a further blow this week when experienced coach Peter White announced he would step down at the end of season after three years at the helm. White, 46, has been involved in coaching in some sort of capacity since taking the job of reserves coach at Kyabram in 1983.

His biggest achievement came in 1996 when, as non-playing coach, he guided Kyabram to victory in the Goulburn Valley league grand final despite his team playing a man short for the majority of the clash against Tatura.

White conceded he had never encountered a challenge as monumental as Tongala. He remains thankful the club has had the best run of injuries in his time in football.

"Our biggest problem is our numbers," White said. "Our reserves don't train, we've played 11 players on permits from minor leagues, and we're playing two or three kids who aren't quite ready, but you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

"It's ridiculous to have those sort of problems at this level. We've got 17 or 18 senior players who rarely miss training and have a crack week in, week out — I have a lot of admiration for the group of players, as they go through a lot."

With continued talk about the future of the Blues, White believes his resignation is better for both parties as the club attempts to start a new era. "(The resignation) has cleared the air and now there's a bit less conjecture," he said. "It makes it hard when there is a lot of negative publicity about the club."

While most pundits believe Tongala will register its second consecutive winless season, White remains positive his team can register a victory before the year is gone. He pointed out they had almost toppled Tatura, Rochester and Shepparton United, while Echuca stole victory with a goal after the siren.

White said last week's game against Shepparton, in which the Blues failed to score a goal in shocking conditions, while their opponent kicked 15, was not a true reflection of the contest. The Blues are unlikely to push top teams Euroa, Seymour, Mansfield or Benalla, but they're an outside chance of upsetting Shepparton Swans and Mooroopna.

"We haven't been as uncompetitive as a lot of people think — things have gone against us," White said.

"Our guys put in a lot of effort but we fall away. As a coaching group, I feel as though we have got the most out of the players and I get a lot of enjoyment from that."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some interesting times coming up for Tonny. Without naming names or putting any pressure on Travvy, what's the players feeling about all this? I'm a bit worried that they will go to a lower league and struggle to keep their players, as the article suggests.

If Tonny does leave the GVFL, will they be replaced with another club. Havent Rumbarla being trying to get into the GVFL for years and they have the cash.

Samtrish said:
Euroa don't man up that is a known fact. They bomb long to grainger at most opportunities. From what I seen and heard they could be a bit soft not that hard at the ball. Seymour v Mansfield Granny as they have match winners on each line. Mensch is doing it on the bit at the moment and seems to be enjoying his football without the coaching stress. Also Jock I see the Benalla Chq Book Bull**it is back happy to stick the boots back in once Benalla drops a couple of games.
Euroa dont man up is a complete disgrace of a comment. I watched them play seymour the week before and they beat seymour by playing accountable footy and being very hard at the ball. I think you may need to watch a few games 1st before coming out with stupid comments like those ones. They would have the hardest player at the ball in the comp in Daniel Howse and their backline is very accountable.

Samtrish said:

Bombing long to grainger is obviously not working for them. Top of the ladder and him sitting fourth on the goal kicking list ( after missing four games ).
Seymour must have had a lot of "match winners on each line" both times they were beaten by Euroa. Any idea?? Mansfield certainly are a great side, and their game against euroa will definately show whether euroa are worthy of their current position on the ladder. On your logic, I'd say Rochester are more of a chance to make the GF than seymour as they've managed to take it up to euroa both times they've played them. :eek:

bradrowe#32 said:
Pretty interesting story in the Age Travvy.

Some interesting times coming up for Tonny. Without naming names or putting any pressure on Travvy, what's the players feeling about all this? I'm a bit worried that they will go to a lower league and struggle to keep their players, as the article suggests.

Interesting article which is guess provides a harsh reality about where tongala sit at this point in time.

The move to the Murray League would provide the club with some more success however its ability to attract Melbourne based players will be tougher due to the increased travel times, Melbourne to Deniliquin for example.

The move to the KDL will provide the club with more success but then the desire for some of the top grade players to play in that legue would not be strong.

Peter White is a fantastic coach, his departure is a big one, however as he said in the article, the opening in the coaching position gives the club a chance to move forward in a different direction.

Tongala is a small town and to even be competitive needs to try and get some of its local players back to the club.

Here's my suggestion, Des Campbell to coach, Adam Brunt and Scott Hansen as his assistants. Des would bring back brad, blake and a Troy Snelson. With these additions and the retention of our our current list, we would be a much more competitive unit.

Samtrish said:

Thanks for this great insight samtrish. ive watch alot of games involving the top 6 teams this year and euroa deserve to be sitting on top of the gv ladder. clearly some bias in these comments. with hard hitting and ACCURATE comments like that why restrict yourself to the analysis of gv games when greater opportunities are oblivously beating on your door. i think the eagles are looking for another assistant coach or maybe you could replace caroline wilson at the age.

couldnt have said it better myself jim carter....

Travvy43 said:
Here's my suggestion, Des Campbell to coach, Adam Brunt and Scott Hansen as his assistants. Des would bring back brad, blake and a Troy Snelson. With these additions and the retention of our our current list, we would be a much more competitive unit.
I agree travvy, it'd be fantastic for tonny and the gv in general if those names were to head back to the club.

HawkeEye said:
If Tonny does leave the GVFL, will they be replaced with another club. Havent Rumbarla being trying to get into the GVFL for years and they have the cash.

Rumbalara continually gets knocked back and it appears just a matter of time before they get the go ahead into the GV. At present they'd struggle to be competitive, but maybe the thought of major league footy would appeal to some former AFL/VFL players to join Rumba. If that was to happen, along with their strong financial situation, it wouldn't take all that long to be competitive.

euroa are hardly soft....yes there backline is less accountable than the seymours and mansfeild but they do the job..... scotty grainger is a lazy full forwarrd who kicks goals...he doesnt lead so we have to bomb the ball in..... roch have run us both times,,,,from memory seymour smashed roc last time and i expect them to do it again....i must admit as mcuh as i hate it seymour have a great backline and they r very rarely beaten. both games against euroa they have been missing players...and so have we...... expect this years finals to be a close encounters. if u have a look at the top six... euroa has beaten----seymour, shep , benella and rochy,,,seymour has beaten mansfeild benella and roch---mansfeild have beaten euroa, shep and benella and roch and so on...so it looks like position in finals is going to be the key. we will jsut have to wait and see...... can euroa play at the finals pace....i hope so...my tip for the grand final is euroa vs seymour

HawkeEye said:

Rumbalala have been trying to get into the GV for the last few years, but the league keeps knocking them back.

I think if Tongala left, then they would be happy to have 12 teams and therefore eliminate the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad