Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

good on you leary !!!! 60 years for f**k sake no one is online to rember 10 years ago.. make it 10 years ago side.. what a crap funciton 60 years.. s ash the biggest reciever in the comp.. never got hit hard enough. when he did he went missing... weak as *****.. almost like that other player shane fitzimmons... weak as poo
The fact that Ashe made the side and Andrew Knowles didn't make the list of 60 raises a few Qs. Knowles playes chf in a very successfull era in winfield country championchips for the GV. And i'm not totally sold on the Kyabram copper being there either.

good on you leary !!!! 60 years for f**k sake no one is online to rember 10 years ago.. make it 10 years ago side.. what a crap funciton 60 years.. s ash the biggest reciever in the comp.. never got hit hard enough. when he did he went missing... weak as *****.. almost like that other player shane fitzimmons... weak as poo

Moron. Have your opinion for sure, but those comments are totally ridiculous. Ash was one of the best on-ballers for the past 15 years, everyone who has played against him in the Oand M and Gv would suggest that. You don't have to like him, but those comments are just totally flawed. As for the function, I'm guessing you weren't there, unlike me, and you can't possible say the function was crap.

Stats speak for themselves, Stuhldrier was a superstar for Ky, not sure of how many years he was at Ky but kicked 100+ in all those years. Who were the other full forwards in contention? What was the criteria, Brendan Parker was a damn good full forward but probably didnt play enough games at Tonny for selection? Also didnt Mick Souter kicka heep goals or break some record, was also a great player for tonny in there day?

Ex-Bomber prepares to pilot Tigers
By Richard Goodbody

Former Bendigo Bomber Daniel Schmidt will usher in a new era at Rochester after being appointed to the Tigers' top job at the weekend.
For the first time in 16 years, the Tigers will enter a pre-season campaign without Dave Williams at the helm, after the two-time premiership coach elected not to re-apply for his position in September.
As a result, Schmidt, 32, will take the reins of the Goulburn Valley Football League powerhouse next year after signing a deal on Saturday.
"I'm looking forward to it," Schmidt said yesterday.
"(However) I'm actually getting a little bit nervous now.
"I was fine when I was applying for the position, but now that I've got it, the nerves have sunk in a little."
During his glittering VFL career, Schmidt became Bendigo's alltime games record holder before crossing to Rochester at the start of 2004.
While Schmidt conceded the task of succeeding Williams was one of the biggest in country football, he was confident of returning the Tigers to the finals and was looking forward to working with Clint Whitsed, who will act as his assistant.
"Clint's a great communicator," he said.
"He knows what he's going on about and he'll be a big help to me.
"I'm hoping to get a few of the older Rochy blokes back to the club, guys like Simon McCarty to help me out and hopefully we can play finals."
"We haven't lost anyone from this year's list and if we can add a few to our side, then we're looking pretty good."

The fact that Ashe made the side and Andrew Knowles didn't make the list of 60 raises a few Qs. Knowles playes chf in a very successfull era in winfield country championchips for the GV. And i'm not totally sold on the Kyabram copper being there either.
Kicked a shit load of goals bud.
Im thinking the stats speak for themselves!
Also been told by a mate that Storer didnt make the Euroa team of the century so hows he get a gig in here and not there?

Ex-Bomber prepares to pilot Tigers
By Richard Goodbody

Former Bendigo Bomber Daniel Schmidt will usher in a new era at Rochester after being appointed to the Tigers' top job at the weekend.
For the first time in 16 years, the Tigers will enter a pre-season campaign without Dave Williams at the helm, after the two-time premiership coach elected not to re-apply for his position in September.
As a result, Schmidt, 32, will take the reins of the Goulburn Valley Football League powerhouse next year after signing a deal on Saturday.
"I'm looking forward to it," Schmidt said yesterday.
"(However) I'm actually getting a little bit nervous now.
"I was fine when I was applying for the position, but now that I've got it, the nerves have sunk in a little."
During his glittering VFL career, Schmidt became Bendigo's alltime games record holder before crossing to Rochester at the start of 2004.
While Schmidt conceded the task of succeeding Williams was one of the biggest in country football, he was confident of returning the Tigers to the finals and was looking forward to working with Clint Whitsed, who will act as his assistant.
"Clint's a great communicator," he said.
"He knows what he's going on about and he'll be a big help to me.
"I'm hoping to get a few of the older Rochy blokes back to the club, guys like Simon McCarty to help me out and hopefully we can play finals."
"We haven't lost anyone from this year's list and if we can add a few to our side, then we're looking pretty good."

Rochester were getting rid of Willaims for a new approach and potentially a new playing coach. Lenny has had 2-3 years as Williams assistant and I am not sure te right decision has been made here.
Also in the article He states they havent lost anyone from this year, but I am sure Ben Anderson, Sam Brennan and a couple of others from the firsts wont be there next year. Being OS is still not playing. Also Heater must be a tad doubtful until he is placed as a teacher to a school.
Good luck to Lenny but needs to find a couple of key position players.

60yr TEAM OF CHAMPIONS

Backs Mick Darveniza(Moor) Richard Warburton(Utd) Trent Hotton(Mans)

Half Backs Robbie Miller(Roch) Chris Smith(Moor) Alf Harrison(Ton/Sey)

Centres Jeff Cooper(Ky) Keith Warburton(Tat) Brad Campbell(Ton/Ky/Moor)

Half Fwd Ron Paez(Shep) Des Campbell(Ton/Ky/Utd) David Code(Shep/Tat)

Forwards Ray Willett(Moor) Chris Stuhldreier(Ky) Doug Palmer(Lemnos)

Rucks Robbie Orman(Lemnos) Bill Sykes(Shep) Gary Cooper(Tat/Utd/Moor)

Reserves Tony Barnes(Sey) Stephen Ash(Shep) Tony Jones(Ton/Ech)
Kevin Storer(Eur) John Greenwood(Tat) Charlie Stewart(Stan/Ky/Lemnos)

Coach Tom Hafey(Shep) Capt Des Campbell(Ton/Ky/Utd)

Was a very good night held at the Shepp RSL last night, the two main talking points were probably the two current players who made the side. One of the criteria was picking players in positions they had played in and I'm pretty sure BC and Hotton would never have played on a wing and in a back pocket respectively, both deserved there selection nevertheless.

These "Team of the" things always bring up lots of discussion. Comparing eras etc. They are the flavour of the month and unfortunately hard to get right. Some guys stature has grown over the years. Depending on the opinions of those that continue to speak of them.

My opinions on many of these players have been influenced by listening to dad and others talk about their memories of the guys, which will be different to what you have heard. Guys like Des Campbell & Richard Warbuton have definately had a legacy that has continued to flourish since retirement.

Trent Hotton certainly is not in GVFL folklore yet!

These "Team of the" things always bring up lots of discussion. Comparing eras etc. They are the flavour of the month and unfortunately hard to get right. Some guys stature has grown over the years. Depending on the opinions of those that continue to speak of them.

My opinions on many of these players have been influenced by listening to dad and others talk about their memories of the guys, which will be different to what you have heard. Guys like Des Campbell & Richard Warbuton have definately had a legacy that has continued to flourish since retirement.

Trent Hotton certainly is not in GVFL folklore yet!

True! But Saad Saad is! Maybe he should be in the team even though he has only played GV for 3/4 years. An absolute excitment machine who brings people to the game. I have some mates who wouldn't know much about country footy, but have heard about this superstar from Seymour!

How many years did Stuhldreir play? 4/5?

Kicked a shit load of goals bud.
Im thinking the stats speak for themselves!
Also been told by a mate that Storer didnt make the Euroa team of the century so hows he get a gig in here and not there?
Storer not making Euroa's team of the century was the biggest injustice since pharlap. Political bullshit was to blame and unfortunately it made a mockery of team of the century at the club. Played against Stully for 2 years and played on him only a little. I just thought in 60 years there may have been a few in contention. How many years did Robbie Miller play at Rochie?

Stats speak for themselves, Stuhldrier was a superstar for Ky, not sure of how many years he was at Ky but kicked 100+ in all those years. Who were the other full forwards in contention? What was the criteria, Brendan Parker was a damn good full forward but probably didnt play enough games at Tonny for selection? Also didnt Mick Souter kicka heep goals or break some record, was also a great player for tonny in there day?
Pang Parker's 1st season netted a morrison as a centre half forward and returned after his stint with Carlton and once again played a majority of his games at CHF. Mick Souter I think was the games record holder not sure how many rep games or the like.
Rhys Archard has played 7/8 years in GV, represented the league and the VCFL thought he should have definately been in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True! But Saad Saad is! Maybe he should be in the team even though he has only played GV for 3/4 years. An absolute excitment machine who brings people to the game. I have some mates who wouldn't know much about country footy, but have heard about this superstar from Seymour!

6 years 700+ goals, not bad figures all the same, think he was also captain of the interleague when they won it in 94

6 years 700+ goals, not bad figures all the same, think he was also captain of the interleague when they won it in 94
sthuly is a no brainer. absolute gun who regularly kicked double figures and 120 plus goals 4 or 5 seasons in a row. if it was done on personality, sthuly might be in a little trouble.

sthuly is a no brainer. absolute gun who regularly kicked double figures and 120 plus goals 4 or 5 seasons in a row. if it was done on personality, sthuly might be in a little trouble.

no doubt, although he'd be captain coach of the "Flat Top" team of the century...none better in my eyes...:thumbsu:

no doubt, although he'd be captain coach of the "Flat Top" team of the century...none better in my eyes...:thumbsu:
Had a fairly good side pumping it down to him too. If I remember rightly he was apart of the Kyabram side that was unbeaten for the H&A to go out of the finals in straight sets. Its 1 thing to go unbeaten all year to loose the Grand Final but Im not sure how many clubs have gone unbeaten in the H&A not to win a final.

Had a fairly good side pumping it down to him too. If I remember rightly he was apart of the Kyabram side that was unbeaten for the H&A to go out of the finals in straight sets. Its 1 thing to go unbeaten all year to loose the Grand Final but Im not sure how many clubs have gone unbeaten in the H&A not to win a final.

One of THE great finals series. Rochy knocked em off in the 2nd semi, then Shepp in the prelim.

Then there was the dodgy free kick given by Greg Freer on the siren in the GF and the rest is history.

As for Ky, Ben Gugliotti won the Morrison that year and came 5th in the club B&F, so they obviously had a decent side.

so are Tank McPhee and Rusty McDonnell.

Pang Parker's 1st season netted a morrison as a centre half forward and returned after his stint with Carlton and once again played a majority of his games at CHF. Mick Souter I think was the games record holder not sure how many rep games or the like.
Rhys Archard has played 7/8 years in GV, represented the league and the VCFL thought he should have definately been in.

Counting Juniors he may have played this long. He is only 23 and wasnt in the ones at 15 or 16. I still reckon Nipper Harvey in his day may have had Rhys covered.

Rochester were getting rid of Willaims for a new approach and potentially a new playing coach. Lenny has had 2-3 years as Williams assistant and I am not sure te right decision has been made here.
Also in the article He states they havent lost anyone from this year, but I am sure Ben Anderson, Sam Brennan and a couple of others from the firsts wont be there next year. Being OS is still not playing. Also Heater must be a tad doubtful until he is placed as a teacher to a school.
Good luck to Lenny but needs to find a couple of key position players.

I believe that Sam Brennan only played a solitary game this year so he could not be put down as a loss really. Fair call with Angry, being os definately rules you out of playing. Heard a whisper that Heath has gained employment in Melbourne, has travelled back for numerous years so will be interesting to see what happens there. Also Chris McCarty will be returning to Oz sometime next year so Rochy would be hoping that he calls back around March I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad