Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

I think the problem with that is the level of commitment required from country players. By the time Pre-season,games and finals are completed your are realistically looking at a 32-34 week campaign. It does'nt leave much time for anything else.

I suppose, if you are fortunate enough to play in the GV grand final and also play A Grade cricket there is no week off.

As for commitment, I thought GV was something different? One of the big leagues??

Having the GV start earlier than the district leagues gives a few guys a chance to get along and watch GV footy before other comps start. 22 rounds does ensure an even playing field.

very big news coming out of benalla over the weekend mick stevens will be a saint in 2008

Any chance of a 4 x Stevens cameo appearance. Brendan, Mick, Anthony & Gary? I am sure Mum & Dad Stevens would love to see that!

Anyone want to join with me and bag the cost of Shepp News online subscription?

$150 per year!!!!!

I've been buying one for about 5 years. Can't remember the exact amounts, but I can remember paying $30 and $60 at different times, which was steep enough.

Never again for mine.

Must be so they can pay for their "talent". The same ones who get all their scoops from simply reading it in this thread.

Talk about turning people off their papers. Why have a webpage when you make it so only the elite can afford?

I suppose, if you are fortunate enough to play in the GV grand final and also play A Grade cricket there is no week off.

As for commitment, I thought GV was something different? One of the big leagues??

Having the GV start earlier than the district leagues gives a few guys a chance to get along and watch GV footy before other comps start. 22 rounds does ensure an even playing field.

No doubt that GV is arguably one of the best if not the best country league. Nevertheless the commitment levels of reserves players are not as high as the senior boys and clubs may struggle to field sides( some alredy do) in the 2's if the season was so long

Why don't the GV get serious and play a 22 round season? No worries with the draw then! Mirror the AFL.

4 extra games equates to a 22% increase in match payments. Perhaps the majority of clubs (except Rochy of course as they aparently dont pay players) are happy with 18 rounds even though it means an uneven draw.

4 extra games equates to a 22% increase in match payments. Perhaps the majority of clubs (except Rochy of course as they aparently dont pay players) are happy with 18 rounds even though it means an uneven draw.

Never said that. Get your facts right before you embarrass yourself again.

Anyone want to join with me and bag the cost of Shepp News online subscription?

$150 per year!!!!!

I've been buying one for about 5 years. Can't remember the exact amounts, but I can remember paying $30 and $60 at different times, which was steep enough.

Never again for mine.

Must be so they can pay for their "talent". The same ones who get all their scoops from simply reading it in this thread.

Talk about turning people off their papers. Why have a webpage when you make it so only the elite can afford?

I got the 6 month one this year, so I used it from March to October. Can't remember how much that was. Maybe $60?

I don't think I'll be renewing either. I used to check through the archives but it always stuffed up. Plus I would've lost about 2 weeks because their server was down.

I got the 6 month one this year, so I used it from March to October. Can't remember how much that was. Maybe $60?

I don't think I'll be renewing either. I used to check through the archives but it always stuffed up. Plus I would've lost about 2 weeks because their server was down.
You have to renew rowey!:( Who else is going to post the shit they write so we in the northen states can read it, I'm just a humble meat worker, who can't affoed that sort of coin.:eek: We'll pass the hat around. :D

Fair go Waddo, this is like all the Victorian based AFL clubs whinging about how they have to travel five or six times a year.
Take a look at mansfield.
Bar Euroa and benalla games, we travel an hour and a half every second week, or two and a half hours for the likes of Echuca and Rochy.
You'll never here us complaining, its the price you pay for being in a quality league ..... and the booze cruises are great!!

I can see where Waddo is coming from - I can not remember a year when I've been involved at the SFC where the Lions haven't had to go to Echuca.
That said, half the town has stayed up there the Satdy night after the game the past three or four years and I think most people actually look forward to that away game now.

Shepp News 13/11/07
Top Cat's itching for action By Richard Goodbody

Mooroopna coach Brad Campbell says he is undaunted by the task ahead of him.
Having recently replaced Derek Hall in the club's top job, the former Melbourne player is hoping to end more than 20 years of misery by bringing the premiership cup back to the cattery.
However, complicating matters has been the off-season departures of Shaun Robbins, Karl Norman, Nick Aloi and Hall.
While the Cats' midfield stocks continue to bulge, the dearth of big men has not been lost on Campbell, who is doing everything within his power to counteract the problem.
"We need a ruckman and a key position player," Campbell said.
"We're working on that at the moment.
"We're close to grabbing a couple, but it's probably too early to say anything."
Despite boasting four former AFL players in their line-up last season, the Cats managed just eight wins for the year as they were unable to end their premiership drought.
A strong off-season, coupled with a sprinkling of fresh faces, has Campbell excited about what the new year will bring.
"I'm really enjoying it at the moment," he said.
"You have your ups and downs when players decide to stay or go, but then you pick yourself up and go again.
"We've got a lot of good kids coming through, but we'd like to pick up a couple of older guys with big bodies who can provide a bit of leadership," Campbell said.
Mooroopna will begin its pre-season campaign on Monday, November 26.

Shepp News 13/11/07
Bears gather to meet coaches and hear plans By Tom Biddington

Shepparton Football Club has completed the overhaul of its coaching staff and is hosting a "meet the coach" event on Thursday night.
A new-look team will take the reins at the Bears next season, headlined by Goulburn Valley Football League legend Richard Warburton, who is replacing Anthony Mellington as senior coach.
Terence Tuohey takes over from David Southwell as reserves coach, while Jason Wells comes back to the club as mentor for the under-18s.
"We've got a lot of new faces around the club so we just want everyone to talk about what we're about," Shepparton president Pat Mei said.
"We've got plans for the next three years and we see 2008 as a consolidation year."
The Bears have shied away from a playing coach by appointing Warburton, who coached the GVFL representative team and was an assistant at Shepparton United last season.
"Having a non-playing coach really helps with setting up our structures and strategy," Mei said.
"To have someone oversee from the sidelines I think is a more professional way to go about it."
Mei also wants to keep the talent pool at the Bears developing through the junior program.
"One of our core issues is bringing the thirds through as senior players," he said.
"We don't believe in going out and spending big money on recruits, we think we've got a really strong base around here already."
The three coaches will all outline their strategies, training schedules and expectations of the players, committees and supporters.
The night starts at 6 pm in the Bears' social rooms at Deakin Reserve and includes a free barbecue.
All current and prospective players and supporters are welcome.

I can see where Waddo is coming from - I can not remember a year when I've been involved at the SFC where the Lions haven't had to go to Echuca.
That said, half the town has stayed up there the Satdy night after the game the past three or four years and I think most people actually look forward to that away game now.

No doubt a lot of the Seymour players and supporters enjoy the weekend up there at Echuca, although it's been about 4-5 years since Echuca have had to travel down to Seymour. Don't know how they work that out but to me it doesn't make sense.
Also Seymour didn't play Euroa at Euroa this season which defies logic, our closest rival and yet we travelled to Rochy, Echuca and Mansfield. Obviously there are some obstacles with the draw but surely as a general rule you should keep the travelling down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt a lot of the Seymour players and supporters enjoy the weekend up there at Echuca, although it's been about 4-5 years since Echuca have had to travel down to Seymour. Don't know how they work that out but to me it doesn't make sense.
Also Seymour didn't play Euroa at Euroa this season which defies logic, our closest rival and yet we travelled to Rochy, Echuca and Mansfield. Obviously there are some obstacles with the draw but surely as a general rule you should keep the travelling down.

The travel factor doesn't seem to have bothered Seymour too much over the last 3 seasons i would reckon. But i am just an outsider looking in :thumbsu:

Interesting draw. I agree they should have 22 rounds. There are 2 general byes and 2 split rounds. Surely teams and players don't need that much rest.

Anyone know why there are more Sunday games? Sunday games have been traditionally shunned by league delegates, so maybe there has been a change in perspective.

Good to see more night games too with potentially 4 in the draw. They should play more of these.

Which grounds have the best lighting? Deakin, Ky and Tatura have night games. Who else can hold night games?

Interesting draw. I agree they should have 22 rounds. There are 2 general byes and 2 split rounds. Surely teams and players don't need that much rest.

Anyone know why there are more Sunday games? Sunday games have been traditionally shunned by league delegates, so maybe there has been a change in perspective.

Good to see more night games too with potentially 4 in the draw. They should play more of these.

Which grounds have the best lighting? Deakin, Ky and Tatura have night games. Who else can hold night games?

Forgive my ignorance, i've been away a while, but has Deakin got new lights??
It was hard enough to see at training and would be impossible to play night games under.
I remember Tat hosting a night game back in 2000, but i don't think they've had one since.
Never seen a night match at Ky, while Benalla's are pretty good.
They play the pre-season night series there each year and Mansfield and Benalla usually play under lights once a season.

I havent seen any of the lights in operation, but by looking at some of them Ky would have the best followed by Benalla.

Euroa recently put up new lights and they seem to work very good. That have been fixed xlightly during the past month and work quite well now as well.

I do know Ky have requested 2 night games. they have a big night planned with the official lighting up of the new lights this friday with Gary lyon and chris Connelly MCing the night. By all accounts they are superb with the set up being the best in country footy. 500 lux strength whatever that is and 16 lights per tower. Al they need now is a good footy team.

Terence Tuohey takes over from David Southwell as reserves coach,

Give it a year or two and then pounce as Spica Bargearse Tuohey will be worth chasing as a senior coach. Will he play in the 2nd's or non playing coach?

Saints snare Stevens after long courtship By Richard Goodbody

Benalla's premiership odds have been slashed following yesterday's signing of former Kangaroos onballer Michael Stevens.
During the past three years, the Saints have worked feverishly to land the fleet-footed midfielder, but have been unsuccessful up until now.
Adding genuine speed to the Saints' engine room, Stevens will link up with his brother Brendan, who is the captain of the club's senior side.
"It's a great signing," star forward Ricky Symes said.
"We've chased Mick pretty hard for three years now and finally we've got him across the line.
"We probably identified our midfield as one area that needed strengthening and Mick will certainly do that.
"Kasey Robertson is back and he'll be a very good key position player, but Mick gives us some genuine toe in the midfield."
Since being delisted by the Roos at the end of 2005, Stevens, who was originally drafted by Port Adelaide with the fourth selection at the 1998 National Draft, has spent the past two years playing with Murray Football League powerhouse Mulwala.
During his seven-season AFL career, Stevens played 17 games for the Power, including the 2002 preseason premiership, before being traded to the Kangaroos where he played a further 44 matches.

With the ink still drying on the 27-year-old's contract, Benalla will amp up its pre-season preparations on Monday when Tim Symes takes control of his first training session as Saints coach.
"I think Tim will be great for us," Ricky Symes said.
"He'll create a new level of professionalism for the club, but I think Monday's session might be fairly testing.
"We need it, though."

Looks like Benalla will be a Symes/Stevens team, any news on them bringing back another on-baller in Daniel Maher

Wagga Tigers Coaching Positions 2008 Season
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Wagga Tigers Football Club [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]seeks expressions of interest for coaching for season 2008 in the following grades:[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]First Grade (RFL) - Playing or Non Playing[/FONT]
  • Senior Players
[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]New players are also very welcome. Please contact the club if you would like information regarding lifestyle, employment or accommodation details.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The club has a strong tradition and is a premier club in the RFL competition. It offers excellent facilities, a strong Committee and a region offering a great lifestyle with many employment opportunities.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wagga Tigers has a very strong junior base and we are looking to build on an excellent 2007 with the First Grade being premiers.[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Applications for the coaching job and any players that are interested in playing please email me at[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Email: tom@jupitermotors.com.au[/FONT]

Does this mean Head's application for the senior netball job wasnt up to scratch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad