Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Reported in todays Shep news that Ben Anderson and Ash Watson have definately signed at Rochy.

2nd that motion, spoke with the North Ballarat skipper on Saturday night who said Watson was heading home . . . . . Roosters are disppointed to be losing a very respected player and a great little fella Im told.

2nd that motion, spoke with the North Ballarat skipper on Saturday night who said Watson was heading home . . . . . Roosters are disppointed to be losing a very respected player and a great little fella Im told.

Dirty Williams has been quoted in the shep news that he is in the same mould as a Shane Clayton. Very big shoes to fill now with words like that.

He (Watson ) had a great year in the #7 for the Roosters, big call re: Clayton but I do think he'll be a huge help to the Tigers midfield.

Seem's my mail on Gleeson to Euroa may have been off the mark as Euroa seem in no hurry to appoint. What about this one though - I have heard Daniel Sage may b heading down Geelong way in 2007 and what's the link between Seymour's Tim Hooper and the newly appointed Wallan coach who reckon's he can Hoops to Greenhill Reserve to play DVFL Div2 in 2007 :confused:

He (Watson ) had a great year in the #7 for the Roosters, big call re: Clayton but I do think he'll be a huge help to the Tigers midfield.

Seem's my mail on Gleeson to Euroa may have been off the mark as Euroa seem in no hurry to appoint. What about this one though - I have heard Daniel Sage may b heading down Geelong way in 2007 and what's the link between Seymour's Tim Hooper and the newly appointed Wallan coach who reckon's he can Hoops to Greenhill Reserve to play DVFL Div2 in 2007 :confused:

Just wondering if this bloke is any good and what club he 'maybe' playing at next year in Geelong?

Just wondering if this bloke is any good and what club he 'maybe' playing at next year in Geelong?

Absolute JET mate,

Was at his best in 2005 in a pretty handy Euroa side.

Got a good turn of pace for a stocky fella and can roost the Sherrin a fair way.

Kicked a ripper goal in the 05 GVFL grand final .. won it out the middle ran his quota and bombed it home.

Struggled a bit with injury and from what i'm told a lack of desite this season.

Was contemplating not playing at all before the season started.

Would be a very handy pick up for any side .. just watch out for the underage drinking though .. he's a copper.

The term 'gun' is a little bit over used these days, however I think you could safely pin this label on Sage. Up there with the best on-ballers in the GV and would be a great pick up for any club I reckon.

Sounds like a fair player! Is he coming down due to work commitments? Haven't heard what clubs are interested in him?

Can confirm that Sage is all but signed with Barown Heads down Geelong way for next year. Will be a massive loss for Euroa in the midfield. His booming lefft foot got us out of trouble many times. The money offer down that way is just to good in the end.

Cant see Tim Hooper playing for Wallan next year.

Sounds like a fair player! Is he coming down due to work commitments? Haven't heard what clubs are interested in him?

He is a fair player and averages about 25 touches a game and about 1 goal a week. Anyhwere from 70m he will make the distance easily. Im pretty sure he will be stationed in Melbourne and travelling down to play at Barown Heads. From memory he kicked 2 great goals in the 05 grand final. One a set shot from 65m that went through goal post height and the other a 60m punt on the run that went through goal post height. Will surely be lost in magpies midfield along with Gibson, Gilliland, Marshall, Hilton and the possibility of Stott moving on as well.

He is a fair player and averages about 25 touches a game and about 1 goal a week. Anyhwere from 70m he will make the distance easily. Im pretty sure he will be stationed in Melbourne and travelling down to play at Barown Heads. From memory he kicked 2 great goals in the 05 grand final. One a set shot from 65m that went through goal post height and the other a 60m punt on the run that went through goal post height. Will surely be lost in magpies midfield along with Gibson, Gilliland, Marshall, Hilton and the possibility of Stott moving on as well.

Yeah Barwon Heads seems right.. they play in the Bellarine FL which is considered to be the second best league in the region behind the GFL. Will easily dominate that comp because solid players in the GFL dominate the BFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm that Sage is all but signed with Barown Heads down Geelong way for next year. Will be a massive loss for Euroa in the midfield. His booming lefft foot got us out of trouble many times. The money offer down that way is just to good in the end.

Cant see Tim Hooper playing for Wallan next year.
Doesn't sound good Boss. With a few leaving and no coach appointed some would be getting nervous. But a successful resies side with a few young fellas in it might present oppurtunitys. out of the young blokes who can we look for to step up?

Not sure where you are going with this one Doona. Are you suggesting that the Tigers midfield is ordinary? Watched them a bit and certainly don't believe this is where the trouble lies. They now have a ruck combination of Brennan and Anderson which would rival ANY team in the comp.They have GV interleague reps in Aitken (Great player), Schmidt (Best and Fairest winner) and Moon (Last year's Best and Fairest). They also have Scott Hann, a very good young player who was Runner Up in the Best and Fairest. Chuck in Watson and the possibility of McCarty coming back, a player that Steve Daniels rates as one of the top three in the comp and i reckon they would be looking at a fair midfield. Their backline is where the problems are.

Not sure where you are going with this one Doona. Are you suggesting that the Tigers midfield is ordinary? Watched them a bit and certainly don't believe this is where the trouble lies. They now have a ruck combination of Brennan and Anderson which would rival ANY team in the comp.They have GV interleague reps in Aitken (Great player), Schmidt (Best and Fairest winner) and Moon (Last year's Best and Fairest). They also have Scott Hann, a very good young player who was Runner Up in the Best and Fairest. Chuck in Watson and the possibility of McCarty coming back, a player that Steve Daniels rates as one of the top three in the comp and i reckon they would be looking at a fair midfield. Their backline is where the problems are.

Hope you're not putting words in my mouth there just signed, was just saying that from what I saw when I attended Roosters games that Watson will be a very handy addition . . . . at no point was I trying to suggest anything about the capabilities of the Tigers midfield.

Former servants bolster Rochester's ranks

November 8 2006
Shepparton News

Rochester's active off-season has continued with the Goulburn Valley Football League club confirming the signings of former players Ash Watson and Ben Anderson.

Watson, who played with the Tigers prior to be taken at pick 14 in the 2001 AFL draft by the Kangaroos, finished third in North Ballarat's best and fairest after being delisted at the end of last year.

While Anderson, who was a member of Rochester's losing grand final teams in 2001 and 2002, has spent the past two seasons with West Perth in the WAFL.

The signings are good news for a Rochester line-up that missed finals action for the first time in a decade this year.

"Ash is a good running player who I would compare with Shane Clayton,"

Rochester coach David Williams said.

"He has plenty of stamina and is hard at it."

Where Anderson lines up will depend on the Tigers' recruiting, according to Williams.

"He can play key position and in the ruck," Williams said.

However, a question mark remains on the future of Elliott Bowen.

"He's got a few job interviews in different spots," Williams said.

"He's a fantastic player.

"We'd like to keep him and show him what our club is all about."

Away at the moment but heard the rumblings at the Saints are about to come to a head. Anyone able to enlighten me.

boys got some bad news. you'll all love it but its pretty average. tat is goin to really struggle. prob worse then the last 2 yrs. lost between 12 and 16 of its senior 24 from last yr! players of the likes of linc wellington, leeroy warnett, jarrod pollard, paul kirby, brent loughnan, tim lanyon, michael roberts, bryce wellington, damian jones, mark eaton, reece pollard, brett scarcella, trav thompson, aaron willoughby and shannon downy coming to mind.they have all signed else where and all played nearly every game for the last few yrs. big dint is the leadership of the onfield playing group!

boys got some bad news. you'll all love it but its pretty average. tat is goin to really struggle. prob worse then the last 2 yrs. lost between 12 and 16 of its senior 24 from last yr! players of the likes of linc wellington, leeroy warnett, jarrod pollard, paul kirby, brent loughnan, tim lanyon, michael roberts, bryce wellington, damian jones, mark eaton, reece pollard, brett scarcella, trav thompson, aaron willoughby and shannon downy coming to mind.they have all signed else where and all played nearly every game for the last few yrs. big dint is the leadership of the onfield playing group!

Not good news bulldog and probably has something to do with their recruiting practices over many years. They have a long history of not just buying players but also paying well over what most other clubs would offer. This sort of strategy may provide a quick fix but usually ends in tears. (I can see Mooroopna heading down the same track IMO).

Not good news bulldog and probably has something to do with their recruiting practices over many years. They have a long history of not just buying players but also paying well over what most other clubs would offer. This sort of strategy may provide a quick fix but usually ends in tears. (I can see Mooroopna heading down the same track IMO).

yeah its pretty much exactly how u have said it. club go in around 3 or 4 yr periods. u cant be up the top all the time.we will struggle for a while now i think. mooroopna will be up there this yr and maybe next but then will drop off again.

Heard along the grapevine that lachie watts of seymour said he would go and play at broadford next season if he got $400 a game, a bit steep for someone who plays 2s at Seymour. But i did see Lachie and the new broadford coach having a long chat after the cricket on saturday i wonder if they were talking about that.

Does anyone know if Sportzone is running the Recreational Footy comp again. Eric Bott is the organiser from last year i was told, i tried to contact him but he hasn't got back to me. just wondering if anyone else knew anything about it.

timmy lanyon heading down melb way. he is goo mates with looby so might b trying his luck down with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad