Certified Legendary Thread Official ROOSISTENCE GIG thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee I almost wish our situation would become that perilous again so we can have another night like that. World record hangover the next morning.

Yep, think I'd consumed about three litres of Gatorade by 10am. A stupendously unproductive day at the office (a bit like most Fridays during footy season).

Loooking forward to You Am I at the Corner on 8 March.

It was ****in awesome. All i heard was the words *******. Even June(i think her name was) said it.

The music was awesome, bit of comedy here and there. It was just spectacular.

I managed to meet a couple from but dissapointed not to me TOD and Kangalicious.

Who was MCing tonight? It wasn't you GK was it?

Enjoyed my night today and i hope to hear from the many others who went after they are clear from the booze.

If any thread deserves the Certified Legendary Thread tag it surely is this one.

**** you Andrew Demetriou.

pixel.gif
I0000FRnmUpMtLIY.jpg

pixel.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, I am sorry but someone who shall remain nameless was given the wrong info..Not Little June it seems...tho I believe another North fan by name of June passed away end of May...knew I should have double checked...my info was third hand.

All fixed now Gabbie.

This is the review of the gig that went into Beat Magazine today along with a photo of Arch belting out We Can't Be Beaten (pity about how they cropped it).

Passionate North Melbourne supporter and genuine Australian rock legend Tim Rogers assembled a stellar line-up of Australian musicians for this very special show to raise money to keep the North Melbourne Kangaroos in Melbourne and to thwart the efforts of the AFL who are pushing to relocate the shinboners to the glittering hell hole known as the Gold Coast.

First to take the stage was Rob Clarkson and his acoustic guitar. He was joined on stage by Squeezebox Wally and Tim Roger as they performed a song titled “99 Blue and White Balloons” an ode to the mighty Roos and a fine way to kick the night off.

Next up was Mick Thomas and the Sure Thing who put a bit more oomph into proceedings with their folky RAWK and saw Mick Thomas give an impassioned denunciation of the AFL’s plans to shift the Roos North.

MC, Jason Evans then called Tim Rogers out to address the fast filling Prince Band Room – the erstwhile Mr Rogers explained just how much the Kangaroos meant to him and the need to keep them in Melbourne.

A new band led by Dave Larkin (Dallas Crane) and Chris Altman (The Vandas) really set the blue and white crowd alight with their finely crafted country rock – when I say country rock I mean the good shit; think Burrito Brothers with a dash of Hank Williams – mighty good stuff!

Another special guest was called to the podium at this point, a gorgeous woman named June who must have been close to eighty, but her spirit would put most of those of lesser years to shame. She delivered the speech of the night and had the crowd hollering in appreciation when she declared “**** YOU DEMETRIOU!”

It was then time for Tim Rogers to be joined by his partner in crime Tex Perkins for an acoustic TnT set – very entertaining; capped off by a wonderful rendition of their love ditty “Cunnilingus”.

Once the acoustic guitars were put away Trevor Marmalade addressed the crowd and bared his blue and white heart to the jam packed room. He then called up North Melbourne’s favourite son, Shinboner of The Century, Glenn Archer who spoke about what the club has meant to him and so many others and reminded those in attendance of the true shinboner spirit with the words, “At North Melbourne, we fight, keep on fighting and fight until we can't fight any more.” Once Archer had finished speaking he and Marmalade let the crowd have their voice as they joined in the chorus to the North Melbourne theme song.

Something for Kate then opened up with a moving rendition of the REM classic “The One I Love” and just when you thought they couldn’t do any better Paul Dempsey brought the house down with an inspired version of Springsteen’s “Born to Run”.

From here on the night definitely turned rock as Tim Rogers led You Am I through a fiery set which saw Ash Naylor make a guest appearance on guitar for their two opening songs, “Cathys Clown” and “Mr Milk”; Davey Lane then took over guitar duties as they scorched through “Junk” and “Rumble”. Without time to draw breath Tex Perkins had grabbed the mic and took things to another level with blistering versions of The Beasts of Bourbon classic “Chase the Dragon” and The Stooges “Search and Destroy”. It was then time for the musical highlight of the night as Phil Jameson (Grinspoon) joined You Am I and Glenn Archer for the Rose Tattoo anthem “We Can’t Be Beaten”. There aren’t many live music moments that will top Glenn Archer and Tim Rogers together screaming out the chorus.

The closing act was The Wrights, a supergroup comprising of Nic Cester (Jet) and Phil Jameson sharing vocal duties while Davey Lane and Chris Cheney (The Living End) fought it out on guitars with Pat Bourke (Dallas Crane) and Kram (Spiderbait) providing the bottom end grunt. They opened up with Stevie Wright’s “Evie” and then it was straight into The Easybeats’ “Sorry” before Nic Cester did the best Bon Scott impression ever with a blistering version of “Whole Lotta Rosie”.

While the music was fantastic, this night was about far more than the music – it was about the heart and soul of a Melbourne institution. Tim Rogers deserves huge accolades for getting the show together; all those involved in the organising, the performers and the thousand odd people who made it to the show all should feel proud of their contribution to “Keep North South”. Let’s hope the fight doesn’t stop here and spirit and passion prevail over big business and money.

That’s a brilliant write up Blackshadow. Must have been an amazing night

That’s a brilliant write up Blackshadow. Must have been an amazing night
Thanks! Was easy to write straight from the heart - even though my senses had been dulled with much liquid refreshment during the course of the evening.

It certainly was an amazing night!

I think the guy who was MCing put them to shame.

Also, Trevor Marmalade was just awesome. He let the massion fly. I have never seen him that emotional in my life.

Archer was great too. Spoke with spirit, dedication and heart. It was superb stuff

We even sung the club song 3 times and once with arch and trevor.

Hamish, Pratt, Spud, Arch and a couple of others were there. Francis Leach was there too.

Good work by Go North and the rest of the ladies to get as much postcards signed as possible. Those santa sacks are going to be over flowing.

anyway, enjoy the reports

Fantastic to go back and read this, as I wasn't there at the time.

In light of what a dumpster fire the Suns have degenerated into, it's clear as day that the decision to stay in Melbourne was the right one. Not that this was ever actually in doubt.

I'm tipping that there won't be an AFL club on the Gold Coast within five years.

This is the review of the gig that went into Beat Magazine today along with a photo of Arch belting out We Can't Be Beaten (pity about how they cropped it).

Passionate North Melbourne supporter and genuine Australian rock legend Tim Rogers assembled a stellar line-up of Australian musicians for this very special show to raise money to keep the North Melbourne Kangaroos in Melbourne and to thwart the efforts of the AFL who are pushing to relocate the shinboners to the glittering hell hole known as the Gold Coast.

First to take the stage was Rob Clarkson and his acoustic guitar. He was joined on stage by Squeezebox Wally and Tim Roger as they performed a song titled “99 Blue and White Balloons” an ode to the mighty Roos and a fine way to kick the night off.

Next up was Mick Thomas and the Sure Thing who put a bit more oomph into proceedings with their folky RAWK and saw Mick Thomas give an impassioned denunciation of the AFL’s plans to shift the Roos North.

MC, Jason Evans then called Tim Rogers out to address the fast filling Prince Band Room – the erstwhile Mr Rogers explained just how much the Kangaroos meant to him and the need to keep them in Melbourne.

A new band led by Dave Larkin (Dallas Crane) and Chris Altman (The Vandas) really set the blue and white crowd alight with their finely crafted country rock – when I say country rock I mean the good shit; think Burrito Brothers with a dash of Hank Williams – mighty good stuff!

Another special guest was called to the podium at this point, a gorgeous woman named June who must have been close to eighty, but her spirit would put most of those of lesser years to shame. She delivered the speech of the night and had the crowd hollering in appreciation when she declared “**** YOU DEMETRIOU!”

It was then time for Tim Rogers to be joined by his partner in crime Tex Perkins for an acoustic TnT set – very entertaining; capped off by a wonderful rendition of their love ditty “Cunnilingus”.

Once the acoustic guitars were put away Trevor Marmalade addressed the crowd and bared his blue and white heart to the jam packed room. He then called up North Melbourne’s favourite son, Shinboner of The Century, Glenn Archer who spoke about what the club has meant to him and so many others and reminded those in attendance of the true shinboner spirit with the words, “At North Melbourne, we fight, keep on fighting and fight until we can't fight any more.” Once Archer had finished speaking he and Marmalade let the crowd have their voice as they joined in the chorus to the North Melbourne theme song.

Something for Kate then opened up with a moving rendition of the REM classic “The One I Love” and just when you thought they couldn’t do any better Paul Dempsey brought the house down with an inspired version of Springsteen’s “Born to Run”.

From here on the night definitely turned rock as Tim Rogers led You Am I through a fiery set which saw Ash Naylor make a guest appearance on guitar for their two opening songs, “Cathys Clown” and “Mr Milk”; Davey Lane then took over guitar duties as they scorched through “Junk” and “Rumble”. Without time to draw breath Tex Perkins had grabbed the mic and took things to another level with blistering versions of The Beasts of Bourbon classic “Chase the Dragon” and The Stooges “Search and Destroy”. It was then time for the musical highlight of the night as Phil Jameson (Grinspoon) joined You Am I and Glenn Archer for the Rose Tattoo anthem “We Can’t Be Beaten”. There aren’t many live music moments that will top Glenn Archer and Tim Rogers together screaming out the chorus.

The closing act was The Wrights, a supergroup comprising of Nic Cester (Jet) and Phil Jameson sharing vocal duties while Davey Lane and Chris Cheney (The Living End) fought it out on guitars with Pat Bourke (Dallas Crane) and Kram (Spiderbait) providing the bottom end grunt. They opened up with Stevie Wright’s “Evie” and then it was straight into The Easybeats’ “Sorry” before Nic Cester did the best Bon Scott impression ever with a blistering version of “Whole Lotta Rosie”.

While the music was fantastic, this night was about far more than the music – it was about the heart and soul of a Melbourne institution. Tim Rogers deserves huge accolades for getting the show together; all those involved in the organising, the performers and the thousand odd people who made it to the show all should feel proud of their contribution to “Keep North South”. Let’s hope the fight doesn’t stop here and spirit and passion prevail over big business and money.

I was in the bush working when this gig was on. One of my oldest mates was playing and I was stuck in the jungle doing 12 hour days. It was a bit annoying. There are a few long time Roos supporters around here tho and we somehow managed to arrange some floral tributes to find their way down there. I've always wondered how that turned out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Official ROOSISTENCE GIG thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back