Oh No- Not Centrals

Remove this Banner Ad

oh dear. all i can come up with?... sorry.. but i dont have a personal gowans brothers bootleg video collection that i can upload onto youtube and then link to a bigfooty forum to enhance by argument. :rolleyes:

someone asked why people hate them, this is why. :cool:

im not denying the fact they have had a massive influence on CDs success. kudos to them for that... and kudos to cdfc for snaring them. but they certainly aren't the cleanest players going around.
Mate apart from the bootleg video our friend produced, what can you remember? Chris and James sometimes grab a jumper, maybe even get in a blokes face, but i have only ever seen the strike twice, (once each), and they were both in retaliation. The reason you don't like them is because when your team stands up to them they don't back down, they play better football, and they win games of football for CDFC.... and remember the SANFL advert says 'there's nothing wrong with a bit of niggle'. and i think Chris also says, 'if you want a premiership, come and get it'

oh dear. all i can come up with?... sorry.. but i dont have a personal gowans brothers bootleg video collection that i can upload onto youtube and then link to a bigfooty forum to enhance by argument. :rolleyes:

someone asked why people hate them, this is why. :cool:

im not denying the fact they have had a massive influence on CDs success. kudos to them for that... and kudos to cdfc for snaring them. but they certainly aren't the cleanest players going around.
Lucky Norwood played so clean against Sturt on the weekend too. No reports, they will all be eligible for round 1 next year

Gowans brothers - bunch of never-made-its acting thuggish in the SANFL.

Joke of an excuse for human beings

Fit in well at Centrelink District

Ahhhh the old Centrelink jibe.
The resort of those who use stereotype as they don't have the imagination to come up with any other sort of banter.

Mate - you support Geelong???? I reckon there a pretty similar demographic to the northern suburbs of Adelaide right there....

lol. Jealousy is a terrible attribute, and in times of high petrol prices, i don't know how these SFC/GFC fans can afford it! those bandwagons aren't very economic to run on a weekly basis. Secondly, Sturt hasn't played on AAMI for 6 years and Glenelg for about 10000000 years. think GF people, and all those Centerlink jokes...i don't think there is one in the barossa valley where heaps of centrals players/supporters/officials come from....
have a pleasant day whingers :)

We don't need to resort to jokes and jibes...

For the record:

Premierships: SFC 13 * > CDFC 6
Magarey Medals: SFC 16 > CDFC 5
Most Premierships in a row: SFC 5 > CDFC 3
Biggest Home Crowd: SFC 22,000 > CDFC 16,000
Biggest GF Crowd: SFC 67,000 (all time SANFL record and we beat Port) > CDFC 46,000 (and you lost to Port)
Leading Goal Kickers: SFC 8 > CDFC 4
Average Match Attendances 2008: SFC 3,849 > CDFC 3,172

* not counting 2008 :)

We don't need to resort to jokes and jibes...

For the record:

Premierships: SFC 13 * > CDFC 6
Magarey Medals: SFC 16 > CDFC 5
Most Premierships in a row: SFC 5 > CDFC 3
Biggest Home Crowd: SFC 22,000 > CDFC 16,000
Biggest GF Crowd: SFC 67,000 (all time SANFL record and we beat Port) > CDFC 46,000 (and you lost to Port)
Leading Goal Kickers: SFC 8 > CDFC 4
Average Match Attendances 2008: SFC 3,849 > CDFC 3,172

* not counting 2008 :)

Central District - butt of all jokes in the 'real' SANFL. :D

Having only read the first page of this thread, I just want to say that the premierships that centrals have won have been won in a competition which has seen better days.

To put it bluntly, the real SANFL flags were won prior to the inception of the Crows. When the Crows came along, the SANFL was weakended. It was weakened even further once Port joined the AFL. Now it's a case of who cares? Like I said, this message is blunt. It is not meant to offend. But look at the attendances, look at the quality of players and look at the perception of the competition. It is a feeder league.

Man I remember the days, living in Adelaide (been in Melbourne since 2000), when the standard of the SANFL was just below that of the VFL. The three grand finals played between Glenelg and North from 1985-87, the Port v Norwood classics of 1980 and 1984 (I still cry over 1984), the 1988 and 1990 grand finals between Port and Glenelg and Norwood's one point win over Sturt in 1978. They were all tough blockbuster matches played in front of packed crowds which dominated the state's attention. They were the good old days when the SANFL clubs were just higher in profile and did not play second fiddle to anyone. Now, they are all second fiddle to the Crows and Power.

No offence Centrals, but IMO you've pretty much won your flags in an era where the clubs and the majority of the state just don't give a stuff like they used to. I'm sure if you were to put any of your premiership teams up against the sides of Norwood 1984, Port 88-90 or Glenelg 85-86, you would get clobbered.

It's just not the same any more.

To put it bluntly, the real SANFL flags were won prior to the inception of the Crows. When the Crows came along, the SANFL was weakended. It was weakened even further once Port joined the AFL. Now it's a case of who cares?

Are you drunk?

The last I checked, the flags are still real. They're still won by real clubs.

Just because the media focus is on the AFL, doesn't diminish the passion felt by the supporters of the clubs, who go week in week out.

Been to a few SANFL games in recent years and they've been cracking contests without the sanitisation of the AFL.

But onto the subject, having a team make 9 grand finals in a row is a bit monotonous, Sturt or the Bays just have to knock them off next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sound like a Victorian.. oh that's right your team ran with its pants down to the VFL and assumed the position.

You support Fremantle.

If anyone thinks that the SANFL is anywhere near the competition it used to be in terms of popularity, prestige, passion and aptitude they are seriously deluded. It's just not the same - it used to be the only show in town, now it is just a bit player.

You support Fremantle.

If anyone thinks that the SANFL is anywhere near the competition it used to be in terms of popularity, prestige, passion and aptitude they are seriously deluded. It's just not the same - it used to be the only show in town, now it is just a bit player.
You wouldn't be saying that if your prison bar scum made the GF!

How does it feel to be r*ped by Choco and his teal mob?

You wouldn't be saying that if your prison bar scum made the GF!

How does it feel to be r*ped by Choco and his teal mob?

Yes I would and anyone who does not think the SANFL is a shadow of it's former self is delusional.

The Port Adelaide Football Club no longer plays in the SANFL anyway so I'm not sure what your reference to Choco is all about.

You sound like a Crows fan. Forgetting where your club came from and many of its players are developed?

Crows fans left the team they used to support, I have supported the same football club my whole life.

My generation, born in early/mid 70's, is about the last generation to who the SANFL did have mass appeal. Going to SANFL games in the 1970's/80's and early 1990's was a hell of a lot different to what it is today. Once again if you can not see that you are delusional. When I was a kid, if you were asked who your favourite football team or players were they would SANFL teams and players - if you asked kids these days they would all be AFL. That is a fact. The SANFL is good little competition, but if you think it has the same appeal and place in the hearts and minds of South Australians like it used to, you are simply wrong. If you can not see that there is no point in arguing.

Crows fans left the team they used to support, I have supported the same football club my whole life.

My generation, born in early/mid 70's, is about the last generation to who the SANFL did have mass appeal. Going to SANFL games in the 1970's/80's and early 1990's was a hell of a lot different to what it is today. Once again if you can not see that you are delusional. When I was a kid, if you were asked who your favourite football team or players were they would SANFL teams and players - if you asked kids these days they would all be AFL. That is a fact. The SANFL is good little competition, but if you think it has the same appeal and place in the hearts and minds of South Australians like it used to, you are simply wrong. If you can not see that there is no point in arguing.

I don't think anyone is saying that it does have that impact any more. However, the passion of those who support it is as high as it was back in the day.
Are you saying that the only premierships that really matter are in the AFL? Because let's be honest, local football (SAAFL and country leagues) certainly don't attract the same passion as they used to (due to the AFL among other things).

I don't think anyone is saying that it does have that impact any more. However, the passion of those who support it is as high as it was back in the day.
Are you saying that the only premierships that really matter are in the AFL? Because let's be honest, local football (SAAFL and country leagues) certainly don't attract the same passion as they used to (due to the AFL among other things).

Dogwatcher, sure the passion of those who support it is high, but look at the numbers who are supporting it. Face it, the numbers have dwindled. I live in Melbourne now so I don't get to see alot of games, but I do try to keep abreast of the SANFL. When you've got 25,000 people to a Centrals WW grand final, you know the league is no where near what it was. The heady days of the SANFL ended when the Crows came along, and was pretty much killed off when Port joined the AFL.

Centrals had good sides in 1995 and 1996. Both years they lost to a Port side whose goal was still to win SANFL flags. Once the Port joined the AFL, their goal chganged to winning AFL flags, sure they won 2 more SANFL premierships after they joined the AFL, but once Mark Williams was appointed coach, it was almost as if Port gave Centrals a bone (pardon the pun) and said, 'here, you can have it, enjoy". And that's what Centrals have been doing ever since, enjoying being successful ion a comp which lost its soul many years ago.

I'm not sure what the relevance is of many of the previous posts - attempting to demean the value of performances in today's SANFL, by comparison with the SANFL pre 1991.

We all know the history, and understand that the SANFL is not of the same quality that existed prior to 1991. I don't think anyone who knows football (and SA football in particular), and who lived through the great days of SA footy in the 70's and 80's in particular - when the SANFL was at its zenith - is going to suggest that the teams going around today are of quite the same quality.

But by the same token, that shouldn't devalue the achievement of CDFC in making it into 9 consecutive Grand Finals either. Accept it for what it is - a magnificent achievement set against the context of the SANFL competition as it exists today - not as it was 18 years ago. To try and compare the current with say, Sturt's 5 premierships in succession in the 60's or Port's dominance in the 50's is of no relevance. They are all great teams in the context of the eras they played.

Agree with you. You can only do the best you can in the competition you are in. That is why when the Vics say Port won premmies in a weak competition it annoys me because they did the best they could in the competition. Hard to say it (as a Sturt supporter) but obviously Port must be a very very well run club as is Central now. Port have proven that this can transfer straight into a higher competition. I'm sure that a Central management team of say, Laird, Stewart, Jonas, Clarkson, Grant would make for the basis of a much better than average AFL team (and this has been proven already with 3 of them).

My point was in response the question of 'why would anyone support Sturt?' Crazy question!

Sturt sure had a golden run during what many regard as the greatest era in SA footy (late 60's) and I am sure that their team in the day would have taken it to any VFL team as they proved when knocking off Carlton and Collingwood etc during that period.

It is hard to compare eras, understand the point about SANFL not being what it was but can't take anything away from Central. Has been an amazing sucess story from a club that as a kid I remember being a bit of a joke and an 'inked' in win along with Woodville.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh No- Not Centrals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back