OKFL - Pre Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Results from Greta:

Reserves: Greta - 5-2-32 nth Wang - 16-15-111
Seniors: Greta - 12-6-78 nth Wang 15-8-98
Was north wang not as good as everyone thinks they are this year or did Greta have a better side or better game than against Moyhu on Good Friday?

I've been thinking about this myself slim. My shortlist (off the top of my head so apologies for anyone I forget) would be Nutta, Richie Leahy, Dan McLaughlin, Anthony McGuire, Jason Humphries, Jack Stamp, Steve Williamson, Nathan Waite, Ryan Craig, Finton Eames, Daniel Barassi and Brendan Sesssions.

Standouts there are Nutta and Finton for what they've produced over a period of time. As for right now, tough comparing different types, but if I was to pick one player to build a team around I'd be tempted to pick Richie Leahy.

All respect to dakker ( and TGN and the others), the couple of times we've played them he wears a lot of heavy contact but has been run down a fair few times........And congrats to Nutta today, showed a lot of sportsmanship, he had the perfect oppurtunity to legally clean up one of our young blokes, but settled to make contact and kill the contest...:thumbsu:

Frankie would be my No2 behind Nutta....Richie Leahy, I haven't seen enough of but I know he's handy.

Was north wang not as good as everyone thinks they are this year or did Greta have a better side or better game than against Moyhu on Good Friday?

I'm not too sure I wasn't there, but from all accounts they had a hard slog all day. Maybe just not their day? Also heard from some of the moyhu guys that both sides had less than strength sides on good Friday.

From memory Tatsean i think Moyhu beat Greta by 11 goals and they have had 2 losses since? Maybe Greta aren't as good as everyone expected?
Hey Nonch if i was rating players performances against the bottom sides i would definately have McGuire and Humphries in my top couple??

From memory Tatsean i think Moyhu beat Greta by 11 goals and they have had 2 losses since? Maybe Greta aren't as good as everyone expected?
Hey Nonch if i was rating players performances against the bottom sides i would definately have McGuire and Humphries in my top couple??

Don't quite know what your'e suggesting Bads, but if it's that Leahy only performs against bottom sides, well I seem to remember him kicking eight straight against you guys last year. But maybe that's not what you're saying...

As for McGuire and Humphries, both have played plenty of good footy against good sides.

All respect to dakker ( and TGN and the others), the couple of times we've played them he wears a lot of heavy contact but has been run down a fair few times........And congrats to Nutta today, showed a lot of sportsmanship, he had the perfect oppurtunity to legally clean up one of our young blokes, but settled to make contact and kill the contest...:thumbsu:

Frankie would be my No2 behind Nutta....Richie Leahy, I haven't seen enough of but I know he's handy.

Dakker is a gun, and if he wasn't coach he would be an even better player I think. His biggest issue is that sometimes (through necessity) he tries to do too much, I think.

Talking to the Bright guys after the game yesterday, seems Ryan Kent has gone all out to play as many kids as possible which is great I reckon. Those who played yesterday all held their own and better....:thumbsu: Can see Bright possibly finishing in the bottom end of the 8...

Talking to the Bright guys after the game yesterday, seems Ryan Kent has gone all out to play as many kids as possible which is great I reckon. Those who played yesterday all held their own and better....:thumbsu: Can see Bright possibly finishing in the bottom end of the 8...
. They have about 4 or 5 kids that have just turned 18 playing senior football which is a big positive for a football club you just got to try keeping them around the club in the future, money seems to get the better of them but these days slim

BK, how was Frankie after the game. Heard him speak at 1/4 time and he wasn't too happy...Milawa's mid field blew the game open I thought. Scholte was every where and Stamp (5gls ?) Scott Gardner and Hallam had heaps of the ball....Tarra's disposal let them down and only kicking 1 goal each qtr they had the wind also hurt..
Cam Kennedy was tarra's best I reckon, battled hard all day....Any truth Curls broke his hand before the game, I saw them take CP off in the 2's to play up in the 1's to take his place...

BK, how was Frankie after the game. Heard him speak at 1/4 time and he wasn't too happy...Milawa's mid field blew the game open I thought. Scholte was every where and Stamp (5gls ?) Scott Gardner and Hallam had heaps of the ball....Tarra's disposal let them down and only kicking 1 goal each qtr they had the wind also hurt..
Cam Kennedy was tarra's best I reckon, battled hard all day....Any truth Curls broke his hand before the game, I saw them take CP off in the 2's to play up in the 1's to take his place...
Yeah Frank wasn't impressed slim, and fair enough too. He labeled it the worst performance in his time in charge, and it obviously was. We weren't listening to instructions and just let them run all over us. They are not a 100 point better side than us, but they certainly deserved the big win with the way we played. Maybe our blokes didn't come to play cos it was on a Sunday? Tough week on the track ahead I'm tipping.

Kerls was a late withdrawal due to an incident with a Powerade, but I'm not sure to what extent. Think he wanted to play but the boys choose to play it safe and pulled him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some impressive scores at the weekend! lots of goals kicked... Whorouly and Moyhu dominant on the scoreboard but had no opposition. Whorouly had 15 goalkickers for the day, Moyhu had 11 and Benalla All Blacks had 10... i think it helps having an even spread of goalkickers coz it takes alot of pressure off the forward line players. After looking at some of the scores over the last few weeks do you think the league will sit down and have a look at some of the sides and make a couple of divisions??? it's not fun getting belted by 40 goals each week.

Bads, the combination of a tough early draw then injuries & Greta was probably always going to start slowly. Despite being recent additions, Scott Glover & Liam Dakin have been great but apart from them the new recruits haven't played much footy yet. Knackers McGuire was injured against Moyhu & hasn't played since, Matt Lacey broke his hand in a pre-season match. Two other new recruits are still unavailable for selection.

Gave the "Dream Team" six goals head start to half-time on Saturday yet got within 8 points with ten minutes to go. A couple of handling errors cost them the final two goals.

That aside, there's probably a big "in" for Greta this week. So they'll definitely improve.

Yeah Frank wasn't impressed slim, and fair enough too. He labeled it the worst performance in his time in charge, and it obviously was. We weren't listening to instructions and just let them run all over us. They are not a 100 point better side than us, but they certainly deserved the big win with the way we played. Maybe our blokes didn't come to play cos it was on a Sunday? Tough week on the track ahead I'm tipping.

Kerls was a late withdrawal due to an incident with a Powerade, but I'm not sure to what extent. Think he wanted to play but the boys choose to play it safe and pulled him out.

Always reckoned that shit was over rated..:D:D:D but I'll make sure we've got plenty on hand this week ...;););)

Some impressive scores at the weekend! lots of goals kicked... Whorouly and Moyhu dominant on the scoreboard but had no opposition. Whorouly had 15 goalkickers for the day, Moyhu had 11 and Benalla All Blacks had 10... i think it helps having an even spread of goalkickers coz it takes alot of pressure off the forward line players. After looking at some of the scores over the last few weeks do you think the league will sit down and have a look at some of the sides and make a couple of divisions??? it's not fun getting belted by 40 goals each week.

:footy::footy::footy:
I reckon they should of never folded the Benella league and just added Glenrowan and 1 more O&K side to make that Benella league larger, You are right its not good to be on the receiving end of a 40 goal belting and sure as hell is no benifit in playing in the side giving a flogging out either and beleive me I have been apart of both situations.
If a club is to become a powerhouse in a lower league they can always go up.

Dont like training drills,,,Nothing like a good hard fought game..!!!

Never will happen the league will wait till some of these smaller clubs fold 1st.

Little bit harsh there Bads. Would like to know how many matches you've seen Jack play against "bottom sides"... Love you to name them if you can :confused:

As for Greta's performance this season, Bunyip has already mentioned injuries and the tough draw. Don't forget Moyhu are reigning premiers, Benalla (lost by 15pts) were thereabouts last season and North Wangaratta (lost by 20pts) have probably eclipsed Milawa's $ spend from last season with all their recruits. Milawa this weekend and then Whorouly, so it is very likely that Greta will be 0-5. Hard to make finals from there, especially when you have to play all those sides (sitting first, third, fourth, fifth and sixth) twice.
Throw in road trips to Bonnie Doon and Bright and it just reinforces my opinion earlier in the year on this thread that the draw was arguably the toughest for any side in recent years.
And of course Greta won't have the luxury of two beltings against the former B&DFL sides which in effect gives teams an extra "WIN" on the board.

Excuse? Maybe. But surely most observant followers of the O&K can tell you that it's an extremely tough draw.

I also think that Greta is missing Brad Bell BIG TIME!!! No key forwards and a lack of scoring options is the biggest concern.
The midfield and backline is fairly solid in my opinion.

Excuse? Maybe. But surely most observant followers of the O&K can tell you that it's an extremely tough draw.

I also think that Greta is missing Brad Bell BIG TIME!!! No key forwards and a lack of scoring options is the biggest concern.

It is an extremely tough draw. And yes, if you put Bell back in the side the Blues would be 6-7 goals better.

Little bit harsh there Bads. Would like to know how many matches you've seen Jack play against "bottom sides"... Love you to name them if you can :confused:

As for Greta's performance this season, Bunyip has already mentioned injuries and the tough draw. Don't forget Moyhu are reigning premiers, Benalla (lost by 15pts) were thereabouts last season and North Wangaratta (lost by 20pts) have probably eclipsed Milawa's $ spend from last season with all their recruits. Milawa this weekend and then Whorouly, so it is very likely that Greta will be 0-5. Hard to make finals from there, especially when you have to play all those sides (sitting first, third, fourth, fifth and sixth) twice.
Throw in road trips to Bonnie Doon and Bright and it just reinforces my opinion earlier in the year on this thread that the draw was arguably the toughest for any side in recent years.
And of course Greta won't have the luxury of two beltings against the former B&DFL sides which in effect gives teams an extra "WIN" on the board.

I'm with you there TGN, we started last season that way, played all the top sides in the first few games. Whilst we were able to win most, it took it's toll on bodies later...:thumbsu:

As for you blokes going on about the beltings to the B&D clubs, remember that we were belted for 3 yrs straight, only winning 3 games in that time....It's a big circle that turns very,very slowly....about 5 years I reckon..

You think you blokes have it tough!! Jesus Christ we have to rock up every single round knowing full well we are going to get belted!

You think you blokes have it tough!! Jesus Christ we have to rock up every single round knowing full well we are going to get belted!

Talking to a few of the moyhu boys over the weekend they were impressed with you blokes. Very young and kept going all day.

But I guess it makes it hard if only ten or so turn up to play in the seconds!

TGN, not making excuses here but every reader would have to agree it's clearly a tough draw. That said, the Blues knew if we were to make the finals then we'd certainly have earned our spot. Ultimately it's still up to the playing group but heads remain high & I know first hand the guys are training their butts off. We've finished games strongly the past fortnight so the fitness base is there. Throw in a fit McGuire, Brooks & Lacey in the mix & with margins of only 15-20 points in Rds 2-3, things "may" have been different. Ever the optimist though!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

OKFL - Pre Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back