Player Watch Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly he isnt an intercept marker, but I think Markov is excellent 1v1, and a very good match up for a dangerous small/medium forward.

Acknowledged he was doing a very good job locking down opponents in another post. Doesn’t mean Maynard and Howe aren’t better.

Watching the last 2 minutes 100 times, it really highlights how good he was during that period
Like any others he's going to f?ck up occasionally but his frantic and play-on mentality suits the game plan. I like what he brings and he doesn't seem to take a backward step. So until his form drops or he is replaced by someone that provides more then imo he's best 23.

Also I enjoy/giggle everytime he gets the ball, points to the horizon, pumps his legs with a small amount of wheel spin and away he goes.

The guys on The Collingwood Rant reckon it's time to give WHE the flick and let Markov take on his role.

giphy.gif

Oleg has been pretty good since coming in. Has stood up in crucial one on one contests and his pace to provide an outlet is an asset. Haven’t seen much of his marking skills due to match ups but he hasn’t been put in contested marking situations much. His short passing has been great and seems a good character. Time will tell if he’s best 23 when and if we have everyone available but has done everything asked of him so far.

Don’t understand everyone saying we need Frampton due to the GC talls. Moore gets King, and you can raffle their other talls between Murphy, Howe and Maynard.

Expose those same talls’ lack of mobility on the way out.
Our defenders would be undersized. This puts more pressure on us being able to defend up the ground. Give them clean ball movement and we're in real trouble.

I don't believe one tall defender is enough. We should be playing another. It may be that Frampton isn't the answer, but we should be looking for one. With our current lineup it would be a disaster if Moore were injured, we don't have an in game replacement. Taking too much risk here.

Also Murphy isn't much more mobile and is less attacking on rebound than Frampton.

I think part of his role is to get around as many players as possible to give them a high 5, tap on the backside, Pat on the back.

seriously, I challenge anyone to find a player who does this more than Oleg. In fact, I think we should devote a thread purely for this where supporters can put in a prediction of Oleg’s physical affirmation and then we can have an actual count at the end of the game. Closest to the pin wins a….??

On a more serious note- love the way he runs through the line of the ball.

but even more seriously… count the high 5’s 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think part of his role is to get around as many players as possible to give them a high 5, tap on the backside, Pat on the back.

seriously, I challenge anyone to find a player who does this more than Oleg. In fact, I think we should devote a thread purely for this where supporters can put in a prediction of Oleg’s physical affirmation and then we can have an actual count at the end of the game. Closest to the pin wins a….??

On a more serious note- love the way he runs through the line of the ball.

but even more seriously… count the high 5’s 😁
He's one of those infectious characters around a club.
He was laughing his arse off when Maynard fluffed a kick a while back.

This guy is become the Alan Toovey of 2023 for me. Not pretty but just plays his role.

Gone from being delisted to part of a team that flogs the team that said you weren’t good enough.

And he dodged being picked up by Carlton 😃

This guy is become the Alan Toovey of 2023 for me. Not pretty but just plays his role.

Gone from being delisted to part of a team that flogs the team that said you weren’t good enough.

I think the Toovey analogy is spot on. Very athletic, great 1 on 1, disposal not a strength, but he gets the job done

that's why he's always smiling!!

His strengths have certainly been coming to the forefront. Its not a skillset we have in any of our VFL playing defenders. That uniqueness gets him a game most weeks from here on in, unless the coaches want a different mix for whatever reason some games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

Back