**** off Jose Ollie Dempsey, a more embarrassing major award winner than Steven Bradbury !

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 9 What GIF by The Office

You mean we got him for nothing?

We had another bloke who got a few votes in the rising star, Lawson something…. I was looking for his name in the draft but stopped looking after a while.

Didn't Port Adelaide give us the change they found down the back of Kenny's couch that we then used to get him?

Incredible.

2024 Telstra AFL Rising Star voting​

1st place – Oliver Dempsey (52 votes)
2nd place – George Wardlaw (43 votes)
3rd place – Kai Lohmann (21 votes)
4th place – Darcy Wilson (15 votes)
5th place – Colby McKercher (12 votes)
6th place – Bodhi Uwland (9 votes)
7th place – Darcy Jones (6 votes)
8th place – Matt Roberts (3 votes)
9th place – Lawson Humphries (2 votes)
=10th place – Caleb Windsor (1 vote)
=10th place – Logan Morris (1 vote)

Lawson Humphries just pulling into 9th place like it's nobody's business :$

Is it true that Ollie is the first person to play in the AFL coming from a basketball background? I definitely can’t think of anyone else.

Shocking, if true!

I mean, we are reliant upon our prestigious and knowledgeable commentators to bring this sort of thing to our attention, so I'm sure we would've heard about this by now, if it had happened before.

Imagine being 3rd year in the system, having already debuted the season prior and then being handed an award based on relatively average numbers because you happened to better than most first year players.

Imagine being 3rd year in the system, having already debuted the season prior and then being handed an award based on relatively average numbers because you happened to better than most first year players.
Imagine being drafted with pick 5, stand at 130cm tall, nicknamed Neville 'Wizard' Longbottom and despite all the fawning you fail to register even a single vote.

Magic Mischief GIF by Harry Potter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being drafted with pick 5, stand at 130cm tall, nicknamed Neville 'Wizard' Longbottom and despite all the fawning you fail to register even a single vote.

Magic Mischief GIF by Harry Potter
One thing is sure, having a long bottom is better than a side bottom.

Seems to be a 10 year curse with the rising star and in years ending with 4 its always an undeserving winner:
1994: Brad Scott
2004: Jared Rivers
2014: Lewis Taylor
2024: Ollie Dempsey

Apart from Stephenson in 2018 thats a fair chunk of the worst ever Rising Star winners. Albeit Stephenson was actually good that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

**** off Jose Ollie Dempsey, a more embarrassing major award winner than Steven Bradbury !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back