Summer Olympic themes/medal ceremony music

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Being an absolute Olympics nut, I look at the little things which helps immerse me even more in the games. The medal ceremony music is a big one for me, and it can honestly elevate the whole experience.

My favourite medal ceremony music is from Tokyo 2020. To me it doesn’t get any more stirring than this. During the games I couldn’t keep track of the number of times I was welling up listening to this music as the athletes were being presented their medals. I could listen to it over and over. In case you’ve forgotten what it sounded like…

Fresh off Paris, I honestly think their effort is a very close 2nd. Brilliant.

Now talking about Winter Olympics, because I figured no point having separate threads, I love 2018 PeyongChang. So very much.

Call me crazy but it’s as though I can imagine being on that podium accepting a medal. I think that’s what a good Olympic theme does, it’s as though it transports you to the dias and brings up the emotions of the incredible work and sacrifices made by the athletes.

Does anyone have any favourites? Any Olympic themes, ceremony music, songs from opening/closing ceremonies, any music which you remember and are memorable?

I use to like waiting around and watching medal ceremonies but now a days I really don't care. Just watch the events and move on to watching the next event. I think I only watched three medal ceremonies the whole Olympics.
Oh yeah I get that. I don’t disagree. I’d rather watch events over a ceremony, but hearing the ceremony music gave me a boost every time.

Great thread Drummond, I was actually trying to find that ceremony music last night, it’s unique, I dig it. So thanks for that.

Music is really evocative part of the Olympics I feel, generates a lot of memories. For instance, this wasn’t an Olympic song per se but Westpac used it for ads during Atlanta and now is my part of my Olympics listening experience.

Much the same as this, goosebumps every time.

For mine, this is my favourite Olympic song of all time, everything about it fits the beauty of an Olympics perfectly.

Well, other than the Olympic Fanfare but that’s not fair competition because John Williams isn’t human.

Much the same as this, goosebumps every time.

Great post and oh wow, thank you so much for posting this. I still remember this song clear as day!! I actually downloaded this song on my phone and have listened to it so many times over the years. Incredible tune and the montage to go with it, just brilliant!

Can’t beat John Williams Olympic theme from the 1984 Olympics. Was also used during the medal ceremonies.

That piece of music between 0.45 sec and 1.00 sec will always be the true Olympic theme to me. ABC radio used it from 1984 to 2000 to start their Olympic programs each day. They may have used it past 2000 but I can't remember for sure.

As soon as it came on the radio, my ears pricked up and hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

This was played at all 7 or 8 venues I went to in Sydney. It was the pump up song.

The Hockeyroos adopted Vanessa's Shine as their theme song.

A mate I played footy with at Adelaide Uni was going out with Hockeyroo Alison Peak at the time, got me into to their gold medal after party at Lidcome RSL, near Homebush, and the girls got up on stage and belted it out after some formal announcement.

It also got belted out at a lot of venues.

And she had an official song. I noticed a couple of times, that 9 had a video montage of Aussie athletes medal winners and non winners in the last week of their broadcast, and used her singing and music of this song between 3.00 and the end of video below.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Olympic themes/medal ceremony music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back