Betstar Champions Cup OMFL 2024 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What everyone’s thoughts on the new points system for next season?
5249f92c82d358dd0bb6bf908cf6a3bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Personally I think it should just be a flat rate of 38.
Clubs can seek for an allowance from the league on a case by case basis each year.
Each team should have a marquee allowance of some sort to allow absolute elite talent out of the AFL to come into the league. Free 6 pointer. Points and wages don’t count.
The benefits that brings to each club for development and growth is crucial.
That added excitement and status is integral to maintaining the O&M as a premier competition in the country.
Not sure limiting the better run clubs to suit the ones that have been poorly managed is the way to go to help “even up” the competition.

Wodonga and North Albury are perfect examples. Get good people in the right positions and any team can start challenging the so called top teams. Hard part is maintaining that year on year

For this system to work there would have to be significant discretion to allow teams additional points. For example, if teams finished in their current order, North Albury would go into 2025 with 8 points less than this year, and 4 points less than Albury. Is that really fair give the recent history of both teams?
To me this system focuses too much on results of one season - if points are to be based on finishing position, perhaps do it on a rolling average over 3 - 5 years.
To go back to the North example, under this system they would likely have to shed 1 or 2 good players, or at best not bring in any significant new recruits, just as they are getting to a position where they may be able to challenge for the first time in years.
And, points allocation changing every year will make it much more difficult for clubs to plan their list management over more than the season immediately ahead.

For this system to work there would have to be significant discretion to allow teams additional points. For example, if teams finished in their current order, North Albury would go into 2025 with 8 points less than this year, and 4 points less than Albury. Is that really fair give the recent history of both teams?
To me this system focuses too much on results of one season - if points are to be based on finishing position, perhaps do it on a rolling average over 3 - 5 years.
To go back to the North example, under this system they would likely have to shed 1 or 2 good players, or at best not bring in any significant new recruits, just as they are getting to a position where they may be able to challenge for the first time in years.
And, points allocation changing every year will make it much more difficult for clubs to plan their list management over more than the season immediately ahead.

Exactly. Couldn’t agree more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most teams are playing under, I think theyll let corowa play with 50, it's no good getting crezza with 46 points. I can't see any recruits staying beyond this year.

Yarra and rovers have played pretty close to their Max of 40 this year. If their recruits stay they can't add next year. Agree with Peta allow 1 per side outside the points and cap

[/QUOTE]Agree with Peta allow 1 per side outside the points and cap
[/QUOTE]

Definitely like the idea of a marquee player allowance.
If we lower the points for strong clubs, we might end up with a more even comp, but will definitely end up with a comp with fewer quality playets.
Also, if there is guaranteed extra points for finishing down the ladder, tanking might become an attractive idea…

Seems like convenient timing for Wangaratta and Albury with these new ridiculous points rules, now you’re sliding, I’m bloody fuming. Why the hell should a side like Rovers, who were anchored to the bottom not so long ago be penalised for winning a premiership? Backs against the wall, crisis meetings, blood sweat tears, bloodshot eyes on Saturday mornings scrambling for players, difficult conversations, and for what? Aflneb and who ever brainstorms these dickhead ideas can stick up their backsides. Trying to curtail a dynasty are we? Good luck.

Seems like convenient timing for Wangaratta and Albury with these new ridiculous points rules, now you’re sliding, I’m bloody fuming. Why the hell should a side like Rovers, who were anchored to the bottom not so long ago be penalised for winning a premiership? Backs against the wall, crisis meetings, blood sweat tears, bloodshot eyes on Saturday mornings scrambling for players, difficult conversations, and for what? Aflneb and who ever brainstorms these dickhead ideas can stick up their backsides. Trying to curtail a dynasty are we? Good luck.
Rovers won't have to worry, no premiership awaits in 2024.

My understanding is it doesn’t come in to affect until after 2025. Like I said, disadvantages a back to back tilt.
Like I said, or are you simple, 2024 Rovers won't have to worry about.

Like I said, or are you simple, 2024 Rovers won't have to worry about.
I miss understood, yes you’re very correct. I was thinking you meant the Hawks weren’t a chance, as I’m used to fending off smack talk. We’ll be in the thick of it and those whips are cracking.

I agree with all this except the second last line.
I wish there was a better way to police the points system.
The AFLNEB were way to generous to give out extra points now this is their “solution”
So potentially with how close the comp currently, a club could finish 8th be awarded 42 points and then find 42points worth of players… the next year they finish 2nd and have 37…
Potentially they can’t bring anyone in for the following season and a big chance to be over for the following season without any list adjustments … surely this can’t be right?

I'm on the brown and gold train too Geoff, just need another fwd option, maybe eddie likes he's one off he stays the year out, that would create interest
I’ve harped on 360 vision. Peripheral vision was incredible last Sunday, looked to switch at every opportunity, which makes sense. There’s an abundance of runners that fancy themselves in a footrace, equiped with fuel that doesn’t expire. We got them on the outside, but then there’s the grunt work and labourers, it’ll be hard to combat come spring on dry turf. Wangaratta the opposite, straight down the middle, sit the Sherrin on a head and hope for the best.

I agree with all this except the second last line.
I wish there was a better way to police the points system.
The AFLNEB were way to generous to give out extra points now this is their “solution”
So potentially with how close the comp currently, a club could finish 8th be awarded 42 points and then find 42points worth of players… the next year they finish 2nd and have 37…
Potentially they can’t bring anyone in for the following season and a big chance to be over for the following season without any list adjustments … surely this can’t be right?
Albury had the luxury of winning and player points going down each year, it’s pure hogwash. Corowa are in a treacherous situation right now, If they aren't managed very carefully they could win one and bottom out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back