Betstar Champions Cup OMFL 2024 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Following up on the N Hollard signing at Lavington - I heard from a few boys down at Bell Park in the GFL that he re-signed for 2025 - this was prior to a meeting with schneids, will most likely be a classic case of take the sign on and dash!!!!

This is going to be the time of the year the concussion protocol’s are exposed.

Cattapan looked groggy & didn’t finish the game. It should be 21days off if the duty of care is there.

This is the time of year that will show if clubs are serious about the concussion rules?!

Murray n
This is going to be the time of the year the concussion protocol’s are exposed.

Cattapan looked groggy & didn’t finish the game. It should be 21days off if the duty of care is there.

This is the time of year that will show if clubs are serious about the concussion rules?!
Is the player involved in the Sam Murray incident out with concussion?

Murray elbows Gottschling in the head, concusses him and gets one week down from two.
Gottschling now unavailable until the gf because he has to go into 21 day protocol.
McVeigh tackles Cattapan, concusses him. Gets 2 weeks down from 3. Cattapan free to play this week with no concussion protocol.

A tackle is worse than elbowing someone in the head,
The one with the higher penalty is for the player that is all good to play the next weekend

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO EVERYONE!?!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Unfortunately the tackle has been the flavour of the past 6 months in the AFL so it is obviously going to filter down into country leagues. McVeigh has just found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time

Speaking of duty of care. I believe Hunter Gottschling was back on the field 5 mins after being "knocked out cold" ( in his own mother's words) ?? and played out the rest of the game. Who's responsible for this ??
Very interesting question. Very complex but in some way simple reply .
Firstly the player has to be honest , both at the time , and in the following weeks .
Secondly : not too many clubs have an on duty medical officer . I think Paul O’Dwyer provided such to shepp united? I would be interested to know if any O&M club have a doctor on site . Or Ambo , or CC Nurse. ( and paid ?)
Thirdly ( and most importantly ) , the “ new” policy is all about return to play , based on a time frame . You cannot base recovery from any disease on “ the standard time frame “ . People vary . It should be based on “ return to normal , for an extended period “.
So , who is responsible . ?
Note : the easy option for the AFL was to legislate a return to play option, uniform to each player . The harder option was player health care .
I hope some of you morons advocating “ tough “ football , have some idea about
what I had to say .

Last edited:
Enough of the reports/ suspensions ,, it is what it is ,,
Now what about the weekends games
Yarra vs Rovers
Pies vs Hoppers
what are your tips ?

For me ;
Yarra by 6 goals
Pies by 3 goals

Very interesting question. Very complex but in some way simple reply .
Firstly the player has to be honest , both at the time , and in the following weeks .
Secondly : not too many clubs have an on duty medical officer . I think Paul O’Dwyer provided such to shepp united? I would be interested to know if any O&M club have a doctor on site . Or Ambo , or CC Nurse. ( and paid ?)
Thirdly ( and most importantly ) , the “ new” policy is all about return to play , based on a time frame . You cannot base recovery from any disease on “ the standard time frame “ . People vary . It should be based on “ return to normal , for an extended period “.
So , who is responsible . ?
Note : the easy option for the AFL was to legislate a return to play option, uniform to each player . The harder option was player health care .
I hope some of you morons advocating “ tough “ football , have some idea about
what I had to say .
The policy was put in place by the AFL where you return to play on day 21 but it is enforced by nobody. Have seen a couple of cases in Gippsland where I'm based & players returned after 1 week, it was queried by clubs following protocols & the league said they can't enforce it and AFL Gippsland won't either. Basically they can't diagnose a concussion no matter how obvious it might be & it's up to each player/club and any healthcare professionals that they see to manage. Pretty much an honor system.

Yarra vs Rovers
Pies vs Hoppers
what are your tips ?

For me ;
Yarra by 6 goals
Pies by 3 goals
Maybe
Yarra vs Rovers
Pies vs Hoppers
what are your tips ?

For me ;
Yarra by 6 goals
Pies by 3 goals
Maybe it’s not what it is .? No idea if you have any grandkids ?
Kids can look after themselves. Grandkids ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The policy was put in place by the AFL where you return to play on day 21 but it is enforced by nobody. Have seen a couple of cases in Gippsland where I'm based & players returned after 1 week, it was queried by clubs following protocols & the league said they can't enforce it and AFL Gippsland won't either. Basically they can't diagnose a concussion no matter how obvious it might be & it's up to each player/club and any healthcare professionals that they see to manage. Pretty much an honor system.
That’s the point

That’s the point
Yeah - just another rule put in place that puts more pressure on clubs/trainers or physios/whatever professional staff a club has access to that aren't qualified to diagnose/manage neurological symptoms. AFL cover their own arse from insurance perspective but do nothing to enforce it. Waste of time.

Yeah - just another rule put in place that puts more pressure on clubs/trainers or physios/whatever professional staff a club has access to that aren't qualified to diagnose/manage neurological symptoms. AFL cover their own arse from insurance perspective but do nothing to enforce it. Waste of time.
Sorry , you missed the point.

Sorry , you missed the point.
I don't think I did, I was just commenting on one part of the post/concussion in footy and the AFL's policy. Not everyone returns the same from a concussion so there's not a one size fits all answer but what they did implement is toothless anyway.

The club I'm involved in has educated players on concussion, our/their responsibility in the management of it & possible long term consequences for their health and we've had 2 players who have now sat out most of this season post concussion and another retired at 21 after seeing a neurologist as advised (we don't have direct access to medical professionals) before returning to play instead of just fobbing it off cause we want them back. Don't want to hijack the thread any further anyway.

I don't think I did, I was just commenting on one part of the post/concussion in footy and the AFL's policy. Not everyone returns the same from a concussion so there's not a one size fits all answer but what they did implement is toothless anyway.

The club I'm involved in has educated players on concussion, our/their responsibility in the management of it & possible long term consequences for their health and we've had 2 players who have now sat out most of this season post concussion and another retired at 21 after seeing a neurologist as advised (we don't have direct access to medical professionals) before returning to play instead of just fobbing it off cause we want them back. Don't want to hijack the thread any further anyway.
Don’t think we have hijacked any thread . Hope a few have a serious thought on things . Keep well

I wouldn’t want players in my team that aren’t hell bent on getting back out there, you’d have to strap me down if I got told I was missing a preliminary final over a mild headache. Interesting no one is giving the Rovers a chance, I might duck across and watch Yarra train. Both Wangaratta sides have as close to a home ground advantage as you’ll get on mutual territory. An extra hour to get in the zone.

Unfortunately the tackle has been the flavour of the past 6 months in the AFL so it is obviously going to filter down into country leagues. McVeigh has just found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time
It’s because the pinned arms can paralyse, you see it in Rugby, I’m all for coming down hard on that. What I don’t like his blokes missing games over a clip to the chin, you want blokes to stop swinging their arms when running?

I’m bloody fuming, cycled out to Whorouly and back this afternoon to cool off. Bunch of sore loses across the road. Sam tickled his earlobe, McVeigh could’ve broken someones neck. This will be one of the most satisfying wins in Rovers history, seeing Steve get out coached from the boundary. The game peaked in the 90s, I couldn’t handle the new era, if you sat in the hole while I was leading I’d be through you like a fre

It’s because the pinned arms can paralyse, you see it in Rugby, I’m all for coming down hard on that. What I don’t like his blokes missing games over a clip to the chin, you want blokes to stop swinging their arms when running?
Big Larry would have to be "strapped down" and would "run through anyone in the hole" when on a lead. Massive unit big Larry - just ask him he'll tell ya. The older we get the better we were. Sensational.

Remove this Banner Ad

Betstar Champions Cup OMFL 2024 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back