Movie Once upon a time in the west

Remove this Banner Ad

OUATINW makes The Wild Bunch look like a high school play. I like TGTBATU but Once Upon a Time is probably top 10 for me in any genre.

I'd say both The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and Once Upon A Time In The West would be in in my top 10 films. Both epic's in the true sense, a good western would come close to being just about my favorite genre I especially enjoyed the way Sergio Leone captured the films though and Ennio Morricone's score is seriously quite possibly the best scoring I've heard for a movie ever.

I love how the films are so big in scale, I love how it shows the main character's and other's internal conflict and struggle, I love the close-up shots when they are about to get into a shootout, I love the adventures, alcohol abuse and debauchery, cigar smoking, horse riding, brothel going drifters they are.

I feel like I might have just talked myself into watching one right now.

...Ennio Morricone's score is seriously quite possibly the best scoring I've heard for a movie ever.
The A Fistful of Dollars score is one of my all time favourite film scores.

I absolutely agree with you on all points with regards to westerns in general (and I'm really looking forward to the video game Red Dead Redemption!) but the reason why TGTBTU is my favourite is Clint Eastwood. He lifts it above all of the others. I don't generally love him (i.e. not a fan of the Dirty Harry films) but he's just perfect as The Man With No Name.

The A Fistful of Dollars score is one of my all time favourite film scores.

I absolutely agree with you on all points with regards to westerns in general (and I'm really looking forward to the video game Red Dead Redemption!) but the reason why TGTBTU is my favourite is Clint Eastwood. He lifts it above all of the others. I don't generally love him (i.e. not a fan of the Dirty Harry films) but he's just perfect as The Man With No Name.

It's pretty good, personally I think the score in A Few Dollars More is even better.

Ennio Morricone :thumbsu:

The final shootout scene with Harmonica and Frank is so well done, timeless.

Not THE best, but definitely up there, purely for its epic flavour and style. I'm more partial to the flicks that turned the western on its head - the revisionist westerns, like High Noon and Unforgiven, to name a few.

:thumbsu:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pyp34v6Lmcc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pyp34v6Lmcc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"The Good the Bad and the Ugly" and "Once Upon A Time In the West" are both in my top 5 films of all time. I rate them ahead of every American western because of style, pacing, the wonderful soundtracks from Morricone and the ambiguity of the characters. The American westerns became very cliched very quickly, and the style of the American western became very flat when compared to the Leone western.

I'd select TGTB&TU just ahead of OUATITW because of it's faster pacing and I like the soundtrack a little more, "The Ecstacy of Gold" is probably Morricone's finest piece of music, but OUATITW does star Claudia Cardinale, who IMO is the sexiest woman that ever lived, and the other leads are a little more solid. Also the first 10-15 minutes is the best opening sequence in history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AHe07HT5NQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AHe07HT5NQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Great film but there has been so many good westerns
Searchers is pretty good,True Grit all the Eastwood ones.

Once upon a time in America is probably my favourite one of the franchise

OUATITW & TGTBATU are in my top 10 westerns, but not top 10 films of all time.

Others are "The Searchers", "The Shootist", "Unforgiven", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "The Magnificent Seven", "The Man From Laramie", "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral", The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Others to be considered are "Shenandoah", "Rio Lobo", "Red River", "Little Big Man", "Shane", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "High Plains Drifter", "Rio Bravo", "The Ox-Bow Incident", "High Noon", "Pale Rider", "The Wild Bunch", "The Professionals", "Dances With Wolves", The Dollars movies, "The Naked Spur", "The Gunfighter" and "Duel at Diablo"

OUATITW & TGTBATU are in my top 10 westerns, but not top 10 films of all time.

Others are "The Searchers", "The Shootist", "Unforgiven", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "The Magnificent Seven", "The Man From Laramie", "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral", The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Others to be considered are "Shenandoah", "Rio Lobo", "Red River", "Little Big Man", "Shane", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "High Plains Drifter", "Rio Bravo", "The Ox-Bow Incident", "High Noon", "Pale Rider", "The Wild Bunch", "The Professionals", "Dances With Wolves", The Dollars movies, "The Naked Spur", "The Gunfighter" and "Duel at Diablo"

What about Death Rides a Horse? Apart from the poor quality/out of sync voices (from dubbing to Italian and then back into English?) the story has a lot of tension in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie Once upon a time in the west

Remove this Banner Ad

Back