One Hit Wonders ....that you still play

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Angus1
Jimmy and the Boys - They Wont Let My Girlfriend Talk to Me

Actually it's not really a one hit wonder 'cause the song was written by Tim Finn (Split Enz) for Ignatius Jones as a single in 1981.

Ignatius had another minor hit six months on with a Steve Kilbey penned track called 'Like a Ghost' which is a cracker of a song.

Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copeland (anyone else remember the opening or closing to World Of Sport.. late 70's/early 80's with some Yankee stadium, empty and this music???)

The Real Thing - Russell Morris

Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nillson

Russel Crowe's Band's a Fuc*ing pile of Schit - Russell Crowe's band doing a cover of FRENZAL RHOMB's original

LOVER, You don't treat me no good no more - SONIA DADA

Hit me with your Rythym Stick - Ian Dury and the Blockheads

The Pope Smokes Dope - David Peel

Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart

Sir-Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

The Knack - My Sharona

4Non Blondes - What's up

Im tired now

This thread could out live the AFL

Originally posted by SaveFeriss
Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copeland (anyone else remember the opening or closing to World Of Sport.. late 70's/early 80's with some Yankee stadium, empty and this music???)
One of the best film clips of all time, but like others have said, it is EL&P doing the song.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
One of the best film clips of all time, but like others have said, it is EL&P doing the song.

Sorry, EL&P.. electric light paperburn?

As for the film clip i agree.. I would only been about 4 or 5 but it was inspiring in a haunting way, and one of the few things I can recall from my early childhood.

When I was a lil younger, about 3ish, my uncle had the song on vinyl and apparently I got into his record collection and pour talcum powder all over this particular wax.. apparently ruining it.. My uncle still brings that up as it's his all time fave song..

Ch 7 would do well to win the rights for FTA and bring back WOS.. take a bit of the glitz off and bring back this tune.. the older version..

Zoot did have other hits "1x2x3x4", "Monty and Me", "Evil Child". Admittedly "Eleanor Rigby" was their biggest by a bit.
Agree about it being a great version.

Concrete Blonde - Joey
Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
Nena - 99 Luftballons (one-hit wonder in the English-speaking market, but she was a mega-star for many years in Germany)
Dave Dobbyn - Slice of Heaven

Great post! I still play my vinyl copy of "Get the Knack" - that whole album was a mother fecker!!!

Can't believe no-one had mentioned Martha and The Muffins song Echo Beach or The Swingers Counting The Beat which were classics IMO........

Just on My Sharona by The Knack I think the extended version would continue to play if you had a record player that didn't automatically reset itself......a clever little marketing ploy

Not that I want to remember them but there were plenty of crappy one hit wonders throughout the 80's with the crap commercial music that was about at the time......compared to the great live scene we had back then.

Richard Kingsmill of JJJ's J Files fame compiled the following list in 1997 from the 80's and there are a couple of interesting links to other lists on the site:-

ONE HIT WONDERS OF THE 80'S - 30/10/1997

TIMBUK 3 - The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
THE MONITORS - What Will We Be Singing In The '80s
HAYZI FANTAZEE - Shiny Shiny
REFLEX - Politics Of Dancing
PAT WILSON - Bop Girl
JOHNNY WARMAN - Screaming Jets
THE BUREAU - Only For Sheep
TONI BASIL - Mickey
FLYING LIZARDS - Money
MEL & KIM - Respectable
BLACK - Wonderful Life
MISSING PERSONS - Words
PAUL LEKAKIS - Boom Boom Boom Let's Go Back To My Room
MUSICAL YOUTH - Pass The Dutchie
THE WAITRESSES - I Know What Boys Like
THE VAPORS - Turning Japanese
KATRINA & THE WAVES - Walking On Sunshine
BILLY SQUIER - The Stroke
KOO DE TAH - Too Young For Promises
BIG COUNTRY - In A Big Country
PETE SHELLEY - Homosapien
DEACON BLUE - Real Gone Kid
STEVE FORBERT - Romeo's Tune
THE NAILS - 88 Lines About 44 Women
THE SWINGERS - Counting The Beat
SURVIVOR - Eye Of The Tiger
TIMELORDS - Doctorin' The Tardis
MONTE VIDEO & THE CASSETTES - Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop Cumma Cumma Wang Dang
SIGUE SIGUE SPUTNIK - Love Missile F1-11
FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION - Perfect
VISAGE - Fade To Grey
THE KORGIS - Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime
BILL WYMAN - Je Suis Un Rock Star
NENA - 99 Luft Balloons
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - I Ran
EUROPE - The Final Countdown

plenty of other interesting lists if you do a web search.......this thread could go on for quite a while....:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by TheSheik
One hit wonders ?? Sheesh, where do I start ??

Plastic Bertrand - 'Ca Plane Pour Moi'

Others who went close were Lene Lovich & Jonah Lewie !!

ah the great Jonah Lewie - to be fair though he had 2 hits "Stop the Cavalry" and "You'll always Find me in the Kitchen at Parties"

Originally posted by The invisible mullet
ah the great Jonah Lewie - to be fair though he had 2 hits "Stop the Cavalry" and "You'll always Find me in the Kitchen at Parties"

And also (my favourite) - Louise (We Get It Right).

Russell Morris wasn't a one hit wonder either. He had several hits apart from The Real Thing, the one that sticks in my mind is Wings Of An Eagle.

The OHW I always remember fondly is Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles.

Originally posted by sherb

Russell Morris wasn't a one hit wonder either. He had several hits apart from The Real Thing, the one that sticks in my mind is Wings Of An Eagle.

Agreed. He had quite a few hits in the early 70's. "The girl that I love", "Rachel", "Mr America" and "Sweet sweet love" come to mind.

There's a couple in the lists that I reckon were actually followed up by better songs which may not have achieved the same chart success. So who's gonna join me in adding to Lene Lovich's "New Toy" and Bill Wymans "Come Back Suzanne" as nominations in the category of Superior and Sadly Unrecognised Follow Ups of One Hit Wonders? Throw in M's "Moonlight and Muzak" and then there were 3.

ok, time to break out the big guns.

8675309 - Tommy Tutone.

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

Cool for Cats - UK Squeeze

For what it's worth - Buffalo Springfield

Incence and Peppermints - Strawberry Alarm Clock.

Angels in the Centerfold - J. Geils Band

The Lunatics have taken over the asylum - Fun Boy 3

King of the Road - Roger Miller

Cars - Gary Numan

I Don't like mondays - Boomtown Rats

1. Moscow - Ghengis Khan

I have these 2 CD, One Hit Wonders of the 70's & 80's volumes 1 & 2.

On Volume 1 there is Fergal Sharkey's "A Good Heart".
On Volume 2 there is Fergal Sharkey's "You Little Thief".

Fergal is a One Hit Wonder... Twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

One Hit Wonders ....that you still play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back