One More DMack

How many games will Mackay play in 2019 (excluding injuries)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure why they gave him the contract. I thought at the time it was a mistake. I did like the thought that he could be helping develop the kids though. And we clearly didn’t offer him a job or he’d be working for us. ;)
You don’t know that ;)

Many people said the same thing when Thommo got the year too and we only saw him once? Twice? And the Club has shown with Eddie and Sloane, the 1 year once you hit 30 is no longer the hard and fast rule.

Not me, I argued against those that I ordinarily agree with on how many games Thommo would play. But there's a difference here. Thommo was a champ who fell off a cliff because his body failed him. Dmac hasn't been above average for 8 years. He's been dropped every year over the last 4 years and is just a bog ordinary player. And his body isn't failing him and his b&f results prove that he's not selected on output. There's no reason to think they won't continue to select him. Unlike Thommo, Mackay’s selection hasn't been about game day performance for years.

Why did we give him a contract? How is it clearly we didn’t offer him a job?

It was a gold watch contract. He went public and wedged the club. I recall Rowey, "just give him his 3 hundgey and get it done Bicks". He forced us to delist him because he refused to retire. We're not strong enough to delist a club legend like Thommo. Despite the simple fact that he's a very selfish player who spits on Walsh's team first mantra.

He wanted to play in the ones. We told him he would only be played if required. He knew the score. Guess he was hoping he’d be required more? As for working for Port, we clearly didn’t offer him a job ;)... and wasn’t he a Port player SANFL before going to the Dees?

Why did we give him a contract? How is it clearly we didn’t offer him a job?

I’m not sure why they gave him the contract. I thought at the time it was a mistake. I did like the thought that he could be helping develop the kids though. And we clearly didn’t offer him a job or he’d be working for us. ;)
Errm..

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/a1bf47959191f5f8c894ccdcb50c4a3e

SCOTT Thompson has returned to Port Adelaide as the “prodigal son” knowing he needed to leave the Crows to progress his AFL coaching ambitions.

“There was a role spoken about at the Adelaide Football Club,” said Thompson, the dual Crows club champion who was confirmed as a new member of the Port Adelaide football staff on Friday.

“I wasn’t going to jump at the first offer put to me ... The best thing for me going forward - and for my development - is to be in a fresh environment. Right now, Port Adelaide is the best fit.

“The fact I have been at the Adelaide footy club for 13 years means I know the place like the back of my hand. The best thing to develop myself is to get out to a fresh environment and learn new things from different people.”

I was sure I remembered that we attempted to keep him locked within the AFC boys club compound. But he said he needed to see outside of the walls.
Maybe giving them a hint or two about what they need to do for once as well.
**** we're laughable.

Errm..

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/a1bf47959191f5f8c894ccdcb50c4a3e

I was sure I remembered that we attempted to keep him locked within the AFC boys club compound. But he said he needed to see outside of the walls.
Maybe giving them a hint or two about what they need to do for once as well.
**** we're laughable.
Thanks for that. I never saw that article. Good that he saw the need to look outside. I’m not sure how he’d be as a coach (assistant/line or whatever) but he seems to be a pretty cluey bloke.

Do you remember Bruce's commentary as he got away the simplest of handballs? "He's done enough, hasn't he". It was about his 6th touch and was about half way through the 4th. The answer Bruce is a resounding, "no".
I just love how Bruce asks the question on everything ... NO bruce i don't think Cyril is a delicious dish best served on sunday .

Have a better explanation for Kelly moving to the wing?
They wanted to give him a chance to stay in the team, having lost his position in defence to Cheney. They went looking for alternative positions, and wing was all they could come up with.

Honestly, I don't think there was ever any sense in moving Kelly to the wing. You knew it, I knew it, unfortunately the selectors couldn't see it until it was rubbed in their faces.

What's the problem, ultimate professional and excellent depth, it's up to the youngsters to force him out of the AFL side with performance.

Not his performance ?

The youngsters have it in front of them because he is a club standard at presenting and training ......?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly don't waste your breath Jenny. I'm sure you meet these types in life all the time. They are in no way interested in being constructive, they are simply being critical of everyone to make themselves feel better about their own lives
The sad thing is that the more average in natural gifts a player is, like Dave Mackay, the more they hate them. It's because they have to face the fact that the only reason that person achieves so much more than them is because of passion and work rate.

Wow. That’s the sort of idiotic generalisation that can only be made by a real winner

Ah look I don’t see the problem.

A 1 year contract is probably about right, and to me suggests there is a greater convergence in the rating of him as a player between the club and fans

2 or 3 years might have gotten my attention but realistically I’m content with a 1 year extension.

Ah look I don’t see the problem.

A 1 year contract is probably about right, and to me suggests there is a greater convergence in the rating of him as a player between the club and fans

2 or 3 years might have gotten my attention but realistically I’m content with a 1 year extension.

I don't think the problem is so much with a one year contract as the ongoing selection.

The thing is you gently nudge out Mackay end of 17 and Douglas after this one and there is 650 K + to bring in a player that will make a difference in games other than the ones where the team carries them and don't even get me started on finals .

We have the depth in youth and we didn't miss em this year in that block , didn't even notice they were not playing until we were winning , infact we were a much more balanced unit .

Hmmm , yep give em a year and then you know what f..k it maybe just one more because the young players have to force them out with form and because that does not work in reverse then the only form that is consistent is that of the piss weak selection panel who have consistently held this team back from truly evolving into something they could be possibly be with a little ingenuity , a firm but fair edge and an open mind .

Look at the top heavy , half injured pile of f..kin obvious they sent out for the GF on a big dry deck to take on what is likely the most evenly powerful running and pressure team we have seen to date
And then to be disappointed with the players ?? give me a break and please give the team half a chance , nope we go the extra tall , the extra old , the extra injured , the extra cooked and the extra double shit . How is that for some continuity ?

Nothing will change because we are good and we are nice and we are close to something special and we believe in each other and we tell each other that because we all want to keep our comfortable jobs and standing at the Adelaide Bros Fanball club .

I disagree. At the 50 games point Mackay had had a breakout season (2009) and despite a regression, was looking like a potentially good player. He definitely was in a position where we could have safely given him another 1-2 seasons to see if he could figure it out.

The problem was that regression was the norm, whereas we thought he may eventually get back to 2009 levels. Eventually, we got to the point where we became so ensnared that we began valuing other traits he has over performance (i.e. loyalty/professionalism) instead of letting him go to Melbourne in 2013.

As much for the most part I'm happy with how Noble managed our list post draft sanctions, that is one absolute failure during those years seeing we had a marginal at best piece who was valued highly by a club for ???, and would have been a ticket to another 2nd rounder. Especially as we were willing to let go of Vince during that period who unlike Mackay, was usually capable of satisfactory performance.

Thanks for the reply, but what you're saying is all a question of degree in my books. MacKay should've been traded/delisted at 'x' number of games instead of 'y'. The bottom line is the club (clearly) should've traded/delisted him (and Douglas), and quite some time ago. People could debate endlessly over when precisely MacKay (and others) should have gone, but the general principle is the same - we needed to get rid of him. But we didn't. And that is what I'm most angry about.

But what I truly do not like is any personal insulting or berating of any individual players, where that is totally unwarranted. My anger and criticism is aimed wholly and solely at the Club Hierarchy - those ultimately responsible for List Management. Players should get every last cent of remuneration owed to them, and then some, but it must be made loud and clear to them that this is a competitive industry, and if we believe you are not up to standard, you're out.

There is one particular post I found previously that absolutely nails it all down perfectly.

I disagree. At the 50 games point Mackay had had a breakout season (2009) and despite a regression, was looking like a potentially good player. He definitely was in a position where we could have safely given him another 1-2 seasons to see if he could figure it out.

The problem was that regression was the norm, whereas we thought he may eventually get back to 2009 levels. Eventually, we got to the point where we became so ensnared that we began valuing other traits he has over performance (i.e. loyalty/professionalism) instead of letting him go to Melbourne in 2013.

As much for the most part I'm happy with how Noble managed our list post draft sanctions, that is one absolute failure during those years seeing we had a marginal at best piece who was valued highly by a club for ???, and would have been a ticket to another 2nd rounder. Especially as we were willing to let go of Vince during that period who unlike Mackay, was usually capable of satisfactory performance.
Mackay could have been a really good.player had he not played in the Neil Craig era in his formative years.

I dont just mean Craigy as coach. But that league wide mentality of defence in bulk numbers (corralling players instead of tackling) and lack of individual flair.

Unlike Dougie he has never got out of that mindset.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

One More DMack

Back