No more Laird in midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Laird was close to, if not our best against St Kilda and very good again last night. Give it a break.

He is starting to look better as we have two way running mids to support him. I'm not against keeping Laird but we need an accountable midfield. If he won't run both ways, he can't spend much time in the guts and with the way the kids are stepping up, he can't rest on a bunch of 1-2 stats to pad his performance

Big knock on him seems to be his defence, what has happened to him since leading the league in tackles?
There’s been some very poor vision of him this year seemingly letting opponents just waltz by him.

Still 7th in the League for tackles. 11th in the League for disposals.
Look we all know he hasn’t got the most damaging disposal - but this thread is shit

The bloke busts his gut every week - is easily our most consistent player - and yet we have people bagging him every week

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I will concede Laird not in the midfield is now over the top, only because we are rotating through there. Berry, Taylor, Soligo, Dawson running through there. Would like to see Dowling, Michelanney and even Hinge in there.

Having Laird up forward and down back rather than our midfield is working better.

Look we all know he hasn’t got the most damaging disposal - but this thread is shit

The bloke busts his gut every week - is easily our most consistent player - and yet we have people bagging him every week

I don’t mind laird but I have seen some pretty ordinary efforts in multiple games that I haven’t seen before from him.
Is it age, the coaches message wearing thin?

Dunstall and king went to town on him.

Campo gives him 3 votes as the lone soldier. Absolute Warrior.

This happens every week.

That's why I don't rate Campo as a coach because his opinions and observations seem to be based primarily off of just looking at the stat sheet.

I've seen plenty of games where Laird has had absolutely no influence in the game at all and yet old mate Campo is on the radio giving him 2 or 3 votes.

It's the same mentality that Greenwood mentioned to Roo about how the club focuses too much on the volume of stats rather than the quality.

On average he's 18th for disposals and 16th for tackles. But there's more to midfield than racking up possessions and tackles in the stoppage. Our midfield routinely gets beaten for impact by opposing midfields but we continue to value only the raw numbers. And he doesn't bust a gut every week, he spent a fair few games this year jogging around. Matt Crouch is 4th for disposals and 23rd for tackles. I bet we're a powerful, powerful midfield when those 2 play together racking up those numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

No more Laird in midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back