Prediction One season too many - Now 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have been a big call based on the GF. Although maybe the dominance on the day papered over some cracks?
They were clearly the best team in it in 2022, but the heart and desire is gone, the competition just doesn't sit back and do nothing, Geelong are "Hungover" and it's already too late to get sober. They are a bottom team.

Too much quality to sink that far

A lot of that quality is the wrong side of 30, and some of that is a long way past.

Dangerfield turns 33 on Wednesday, Hawkins turns 35 in July, Smith is 34, Tuohy is 33 (and looking it too). Last year every young player had a great season and made very, very important contributions. They've all been down or not there, and older guys are having to do more work. Three games in a row we've been beaten by a team that simply wanted the ball more. Most worryingly, our midfield has been cut up three times in succession.

Buddy wasn't the worst Swans player today but I do think he belongs on this list. I am not arguing he isn't an AFL standard player anymore, but he doesn't make the Swans better any more. He could be an asset elsewhere. There are some teams crying out for a quality veteran forward, the Swans aren't one of them. Earlier in their careers, the likes of Mcdonald and Amartey needed him to shift the focus of defenders away from them. But now they are good enough to take on good defenders and he simply takes up room they could be using.

Rough on Hawkins imo. Clearly underdone with no preseason. Won't be a Coleman medallist but will be serviceable enough when fit.

Tom Hawkins being mentioned here has got to be the most bone lazy and out of touch comment I’ve heard in a while.

I really don’t know who Geelong would roll out at FF for 23 weeks a year without him. I agree that his time isn’t far, but unless you have an accomplished kid who has done his time in the VFL, you just can’t replace him. He also has had an underdone start.

Tom Hawkins being mentioned here has got to be the most bone lazy and out of touch comment I’ve heard in a while.

I really don’t know who Geelong would roll out at FF for 23 weeks a year without him. I agree that his time isn’t far, but unless you have an accomplished kid who has done his time in the VFL, you just can’t replace him. He also has had an underdone start.
Agree. He’s undercooked but hasn’t had a preseason. Should be his last year but he will fire as the season progresses no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 747

Who do Geelong have as a young emerging forward? For example we rolled out Van Rooyen today and it’s pretty clear he is ready, will be keeping McDonald out of the side I’d say.

Anyone in the VFL looking good?

demondavey

We have Shannon Neale, who sometimes looks good at VFL level and sometimes not.

Other than that - or swinging a back forward - we have very little KP depth in that area. It's one reason why we wouldn't trade Esava last year.

But, Hawkins is more a lead mark player (and has been for a while) and not a pack marking player. So Cameron with some mid forwards would probably do in a pinch. Bigger issue is the midfield and supply IMO.

Agree. He’s undercooked but hasn’t had a preseason. Should be his last year but he will fire as the season progresses no doubt.
IMO I think the Tomahawk needs a mini pre-season to get back to full fitness. But yes, I think writing him off based off these 3 games is stupid.

IMO I think the Tomahawk needs a mini pre-season to get back to full fitness. But yes, I think writing him off based off these 3 games is stupid.

Agree. I thought the plan was for Hawkins to take his time coming back and give Neale some games in the 1s early on (let's face it we don't usually start well anyway). Not sure that shows a heap of faith in Neale.

Agree. I thought the plan was for Hawkins to take his time coming back and give Neale some games in the 1s early on (let's face it we don't usually start well anyway). Not sure that shows a heap of faith in Neale.
Neale did his ankle.

Otherwise Ur right and he would have been playing instead of Hawkins.

They had to rush Hawkins back because of that.

I really don’t know who Geelong would roll out at FF for 23 weeks a year without him.
Jeremy Cameron? Anyway not having anyone who they can use in his spot is on Geelong. It's not like Hawkins hasn't been on the wrong side of 30 for half a decade.

Neale did his ankle.

Otherwise Ur right and he would have been playing instead of Hawkins.

They had to rush Hawkins back because of that.

Just had a quick look at Geelong's list.

Not exactly overflowing with tall forward options, especially with Ratugolea seemingly settling into defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction One season too many - Now 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back