O'Neill

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Timbermerchant
Our game like yours is unknown outside our own countries. I am delighted to have the opportunity to shout for the players I alternatively cheer or boo every week, when they pull on an Ireland shirt. I can't understand why you don't. Where's your pride man???

Timbermerchant...you are deadset correct.

I am one of the many people here who don't care if this is a hybrid game. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

I also like the opportunity to cheer for those who I would boo any other time of year. Before IntRules, State of Origin matches were the other way to do that.

Originally posted by raboyle

Before IntRules, State of Origin matches were the other way to do that.

By State of Origin I presume you mean teams were made up of players representing their home state (i'm a smart one you know?)
Sounds good, nothing like some old fashion neighbour rivalry.

Similar to what we have over here with players from different clubs playing for their respective counties.

Our rural club teams are made up of people from the parish or townland (plus maybe the odd blow-in). A population of a rural parish can be anywhere between 500 and 3000. As you can imagine the competetion between neighbouring parishes can be fierce, but it does instill a passion in the game from a very young age.
Clubs in big towns are usually a mixture of local lads plus a few "outsiders" who are working in the area.

www.iafc.org.au

I had a look at that website - where's the Aussie team?? Don't tell me they're not playing because they would spank even the best of the contenders PNG 100 - 12.

Support your team man- it's a hybrid game but its the only meaningful competition for your boys:cool:

Originally posted by larry buaile

By State of Origin I presume you mean teams were made up of players representing their home state (i'm a smart one you know?)
Sounds good, nothing like some old fashion neighbour rivalry.

Yes you are very correct. Players from any club in the AFL would go back to there home state from which they started their footballing career and pull on the state colours.

Example 1. Craig Bradley, who plays for Carlton, played for SANFL team Port Adelaide. So he comes back to SA and gets on the red, yellow and blue.

Example 2. Shane Woewodin, plays for Melbourne, played for a Western Australian club. So he goes to play for the WA team.

The last match was South Australia v. Victoria at the MCG, which Victoria won. It was usually played mid-year. I certainly know that South Aussies didn't get sick of it!

The WA teams play in a black top with a gold swan in the middle.
The other team was the Allies, who were a team made up of NT, Tasmania, NSW/ACT and QLD players. They played in a black, teal and orange top.

These games were excellent. Too bad they had to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Neill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back