FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was a reasonable ep, but more and more I find the interviews with people that Mike is good friends with to be among the most annoying to watch. The show is only about 23 minutes, so every time they "waste" 20 seconds joking, or arguing a petty semantic, I really notice it.

I agree with an earlier poster too - this was an opportunity to hear more about how Caro became so influential in footy. She has always had this stank on her about only getting the job because of her dad. There was a chance here for her to explain why that is a misnomer, and to maybe step back in time to discuss some of the stories that caused her to become so influential.

Decent ep, but not as good as the social media reaction would have you believe. It almost seems that, in spending so much time talking about Hird/Essendon, and also talking about Sam Newman, this ep was more an attempt to create a headline than to actually teach us anything new about Wilson.

I can't shake the feeling that Mike rates being mates with a lot of his interview subjects more than he values the revelatory nature of the interviews. Some of the worst interviews he's done (e.g. Doug Wade, Sam Newman, Sam Kekovich) have come about either because the interviewee is a golf mate, or Mike has an unedifying fascination with that person's income.

On the flip side, the best interviews have been with genuinely interesting footy identities with whom he's had a previously rocky relationship. David Parkin and Malcolm Blight are still the best conversations he's had, I reckon. The late Tony Charlton (who seemed removed from the footy media bubble) was also terrific.

I thought the Caroline Wilson episode was interesting, but to be honest it's her exceptional back-story that's more interesting than a lot of the nitty-gritty of recent footy scandals (which have generally been covered ad nauseam). But then with Caro, there's another elephant in the room that is never questioned which would make for great TV - how much have you been fed by the two most recent AFL CEOs?

After reading a bit of Martin Flanagan's work during the off season i'd love to hear from Brent Crosswell. The bloke from all accounts just did things his way which would be fascinating to hear about in it's own right, also the fact he was coached by Barassi at three different clubs would make for an interesting discussion point.

Brent the footballer who played to fund his university studies - A gun player who usually only got up for big games - A wordsmith of the highest order - Pity is Crosswell has a debilitating illness which makes talking difficult.

The HSun offered Caro the CCP? So that's Barrett and Caro they offered it to before Robbo. Wowee.

Barrett likes to think he was offered the job - Say something enough times and people believe - The HUN had no chief footy writer for one year after Sheahan retired - That year was spent trialling potential Chief Footy Writers and wooing Caro - Barrett has been sulking ever since, specially seeing he got no support from Sheahan.

Last edited:
Cheers gents. Definitely something worth researching further, interesting stuff. Either way, it has become apparent why Robbo was 2nd or 3rd in line at least.

- HUN had no chief footy writer for a year after Sheahan left, as at that time, there was no standout internal candidate - Barrett left the HUN because he had little or no chance of being chief footy writer for the HUN, and Caro was the preferred candidate - It was known for two years before,Sheahan was on his last legs, so all the main players knew the lay of the land before Sheahan resigned - Barrett left for greener pastures.

One thing we can say for sure is Barrett and Robinson dislike each other.

Last edited:
Not sure I like the commercial for the upcoming St. Kilda special, "does this club have a culture problem?" Personally think that's very poor
Culture is just a bullshit buzzword that people say.

If you win games you have a good culture but act the same and loose games its a bad culture.

Not sure I like the commercial for the upcoming St. Kilda special, "does this club have a culture problem?" Personally think that's very poor
I think he's referring to the mentality of the club rather than culture. There is a lot of failure through the saints history, so its not unfair to suggest whether or not that affects those who enter the club. The same is often argued about Richmond in finals, because of the last 20 years or so. If you are at a club which has had incredibly limited success, each time you are in the position to succeed, it must play on your mind a bit. Thats what I think the Open Mike is getting at.

I don't have a problem with the commercial or with the premise of the show - I do have a problem with the timing of it though, given that the saints are celebrating their 50 year premiership anniversary this week. It wouldn't have hurt Fox Footy to hold it off for another month.

I don't have a problem with the commercial or with the premise of the show - I do have a problem with the timing of it though, given that the saints are celebrating their 50 year premiership anniversary this week. It wouldn't have hurt Fox Footy to hold it off for another month.
What difference would that make?

There now needs to be some kind of weird reverence for premiership anniversary celebrations?

Networks should alter their schedules with this in mind?

My word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What difference would that make?

There now needs to be some kind of weird reverence for premiership anniversary celebrations?

Networks should alter their schedules with this in mind?

My word.

Fox Footy aren't just there to broadcast the game, they also promote it.

Allowing fans of a success-starved club a week to bask in their only glory without being reminded of their failures shouldn't have been too much for Saints fans to expect.

Fox Footy aren't just there to broadcast the game, they also promote it.
They're there to get ratings. It's the AFL's job to promote the game.

Allowing fans of a success-starved club a week to bask in their only glory without being reminded of their failures shouldn't have been too much for Saints fans to expect.
Rubbish. They won a flag 50 years ago. There's no reason that makes this story off-limits.

It's not the Holocaust. Why does anyone need to be coddled?

They're there to get ratings. It's the AFL's job to promote the game.

Rubbish. They won a flag 50 years ago. There's no reason that makes this story off-limits.

It's not the Holocaust. Why does anyone need to be coddled?

Wow. You went straight to Godwins Law. Classy.

And given a fair whack of the broadcast deal is contra value, I'm sure it would surprise the AFL to hear that Fox Footy aren't supposed to promote the game.

Wow. You went straight to Godwins Law. Classy.
Hardly. The point is that there's no reason for the network to tiptoe around a story just because the Saints won a flag 50 years ago.

What is this confected need for 'sensitivity'?

And given a fair whack of the broadcast deal is contra value, I'm sure it would surprise the AFL to hear that Fox Footy aren't supposed to promote the game.
Well, it's a natural effect of their existence, isn't it? But it's no reason for the story not to run this week or any other week.

I just don't understand why people need to coddled.

Why is it poor? Your club has won one flag in their 100+ year history. It's the medias right to discuss whether there has been issues inside the four walls. A very reasonable discussion too.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back